Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please help!

I tried to find an appropriate outfit for my interview this weekend due to my overly gifted chest, I couldn't find a blazer in my size at a store. I'm trying to order online tonight and pray that I receive it by Thursday. Here are my limited options do these work?

http://www.sears.com/gmi-by-divine-...ZVA78748412P?selectedFilters=Size|28&prdNo=12

http://www.sears.com/edwards-women-...azers^Size|28\&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...efccid=5GR7XJBSZYL3E5SABOVSARQIOU&searchidx=0

Colors in black, navy blue and Taupe

http://smile.amazon.com/Jessica-Lon...lar/dp/B0032FCV98/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_opt?ie=UTF8

Members don't see this ad.

Please help!

I tried to find an appropriate outfit for my interview this weekend due to my overly gifted chest, I couldn't find a blazer in my size at a store. I'm trying to order online tonight and pray that I receive it by Thursday. Here are my limited options do these work?

http://www.sears.com/gmi-by-divine-...ZVA78748412P?selectedFilters=Size|28&prdNo=12

http://www.sears.com/edwards-women-...azers^Size|28\&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...efccid=5GR7XJBSZYL3E5SABOVSARQIOU&searchidx=0

Colors in black, navy blue and Taupe

http://smile.amazon.com/Jessica-Lon...lar/dp/B0032FCV98/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_opt?ie=UTF8
Hmm….tough choices.

1) for a large busted woman, a double breasted suit adds extra fabric where you don't need it; I like the longer skirt that's shown with it but you need to wear higher heels with a midi-length skirt, otherwise its dowdy. If you're petite, this length will be too long

2) if more casual because of the patch pockets and gold buttons; its a "lunch at the club" sort of jacket, not an interview jacket

3) my concern with this jacket is that it is totally shapeless; IMHO if its unflattering on the model, its going to be unflattering on the rest of us of who aren't models

4) this one is the best in terms of shape but the fabric looks weird; I trust you are getting matching trousers or skirt?

Have you tried Nordstroms and Macy's on-line? They have good customer service, better quality clothing (and what with sales really not more expensive than what you've linked) and plus size.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Winged Scapula , can you comment on pre interview dinner attire?
Sure. In general, regardless of the location, you should strive for chic, business casual. Its still part of the interview and your style is about the easiest thing you can control. No sense in letting your guard down here.

For women, that would mean something like nice trousers with a blouse or twin set and flats/low heels. A knee length skirt and boots would be fine as well in colder climes.

The leggings in your first picture are *far* too casual, regardless of location; they can also be construed as "sexy".

The second outfit is better although I agree with the opinion above, that they are a tad too short and I"m not sure about the scarf; it looks heavy - you'll be inside, so its not necessary. Here are some options that I think are appropriate.

Business Casual.jpgBusiness Casual 2.jpgBusiness Casual 3.jpg Business Casual 4.jpg Business Casual 5.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I think leggings are a bit too casual, even if it's just at a local bistro, the top half is fine though! Those pants, however, are too short, is that the style maybe?

Thank you Looncat! I guess I will have to go with the pants. The pants is ankle length pants. Does it make it look too casual?

Last edited:
Sure. In general, regardless of the location, you should strive for chic, business casual. Its still part of the interview and your style is about the easiest thing you can control. No sense in letting your guard down here.

For women, that would mean something like nice trousers with a blouse or twin set and flats/low heels. A knee length skirt and boots would be fine as well in colder climes.

The leggings in your first picture are *far* too casual, regardless of location; they can also be construed as "sexy".

The second outfit is better although I agree with the opinion above, that they are a tad too short and I"m not sure about the scarf; it looks heavy - you'll be inside, so its not necessary. Here are some options that I think are appropriate.

View attachment 186706View attachment 186707View attachment 186708 View attachment 186709 View attachment 186710[

Thank you so much for the pictures @Winged Scapula! This is very helpful! Will have to find more options then.

Reactions: 1 user
@Winged Scapula, Is there any color to avoid in pre interview dinner? Or we can go more liberal in colors?
I don't think so; in fact, with the exception of acid neon, I don't believe there are any colors (in blouses) to avoid for the interview either. Pick whatever looks well on you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Looncat! I guess I will have to go with the pants. The pants is ankle length pants. Does it make it look too casual?
I don't think that "ankle length pants" are inherently too casual.

I believe the issue is that these do not appear to be ankle length on you. They appear to be a little too long to be ankle length and too short to be traditional trouser length, so that makes them look a little odd.

I don't think so; in fact, with the exception of acid neon, I don't believe there are any colors (in blouses) to avoid for the interview either. Pick whatever looks well on you.

Thank you! The reason I asked is because Iserson mentioned to avoid vibrant/bold color like fuschia, red and to go for more subdued color for interview. So I was wondering whether same rule applies for the dinner. Thanks again WS!

Thank you! The reason I asked is because Iserson mentioned to avoid vibrant/bold color like fuschia, red and to go for more subdued color for interview. So I was wondering whether same rule applies for the dinner. Thanks again WS!
I think that's classic advice from Dr. Iserson which was fairly rigid at one point in time; IMHO its not necessary to avoid vibrant colors as long as they are flattering and do not overpower you.

Thank you for your feedback FriendlyFH. The place is a local bistro, website says to dress casually. Dinner will be attended by residents, I think, there was no mention whether faculty will be there. I was hesitant whether legging like the picture above will be too casual/inappropriate?

As an alternative, I am considering this one:

I'd say the second outfit is good, first one is too casual. The 'short pants' bit is more for the interview than 'casual dinner' attire.

Just wondering, is it snooty to bring a designer bag? I only have one larger bag and it's an MK satchel.. I don't know if it's too pretentious to bring it. No big deal, I can buy another more plain one if it's frowned upon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, is it snooty to bring a designer bag? I only have one larger bag and it's an MK satchel.. I don't know if it's too pretentious to bring it. No big deal, I can buy another more plain one if it's frowned upon!

If it says MK MK MK MK MK all over it, then it's not the best choice. If it has a simple logo somewhere, then it's probably fine. The risk is not necessarily that of being pretentious, but of being 'Daddy's Princess' and/or 'high maintenance'.

Reactions: 3 users
At the risk of sounding like a princess myself, an MK bag is not high end enough to cause a lot of consternation.

It might be more expensive then what your fellow applicants can afford but it's not like it's a Prada or Chloe bag.

Reactions: 5 users
At the risk of sounding like a princess myself, an MK bag is not high end enough to cause a lot of consternation.

It might be more expensive then what your fellow applicants can afford but it's not like it's a Prada or Chloe bag.
MK recently stepped up their games. Have you checked the price of some of their new lines? Last time I saw this poorly made blue plain shirt...$400....

MK recently stepped up their games. Have you checked the price of some of their new lines? Last time I saw this poorly made blue plain shirt...$400....
MK definitely makes some more pricey stuff and as you know, there's a difference btwn the lines carried in mass market stores (Macys, Dillards, etc) and his real designer label stuff. I assumed the OP was talking about the former.

However, my POV is that the typical MK bag is not exclusive or ostentatious enough that it would turn heads (at least here in the rarified air of PP; maybe in academics ;) )

MK definitely makes some more pricey stuff and as you know, there's a difference btwn the lines carried in mass market stores (Macys, Dillards, etc) and his real designer label stuff. I assumed the OP was talking about the former.

However, my POV is that the typical MK bag is not exclusive or ostentatious enough that it would turn heads (at least here in the rarified air of PP; maybe in academics ;) )
Totally. It wasn't meant to be disagreeing with you. The trend of pushing MK into the rim of the ultra rich world is fairly new. I didn't think it was $4000 handbag that was being talked about

thanks for all the responses. It's just the plain ol' hamilton satchel haha. yes, no prada or chloe haha (ironically it was a gift from an ex lol)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_A

i think i'll play it safe and look for a plain bag :p
I think that bag is fine and no need to find something else unless the bag is tainted by memories of your ex LOL! It's highly unlikely that most faculty are going to recognize the bag as a moderately expensive one.

@DokterMom or @Winged Scapula, can you please recommend a brand for thick hoisery to use for winter? I come from a tropical country and so far only found thin hoisery which I think will not help much during winter. Thank you!

Hey all, I'm still a bit confused as to what I should look for in a winter coat. I just found out that I will be snowed on at my next interview, and have to scramble to find an appropriate jacket! Where should I go and what criteria should I have in mind? I'm wearing a navy skirt suit. Thank you so much!

@DokterMom or @Winged Scapula, can you please recommend a brand for thick hoisery to use for winter? I come from a tropical country and so far only found thin hoisery which I think will not help much during winter. Thank you!
Uhm…you're not supposed to wear "thick hosiery" for your interviews. They're too casual for a professional medical school interview. Very sheer hose are what you should wear, regardless of the temperature outside.

Hey all, I'm still a bit confused as to what I should look for in a winter coat. I just found out that I will be snowed on at my next interview, and have to scramble to find an appropriate jacket! Where should I go and what criteria should I have in mind? I'm wearing a navy skirt suit. Thank you so much!
1) wool or wool blend
2) longer than your skirt suit
3) black is the most versatile but navy, charcoal, camel are fine (and I could even get behind a nice red overcoat)
4) no hoods, no puffers, fur collars, no bright colors or plaids

Something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-wool-cashmere-blend-maxi-walker-coat?ID=1518990&CategoryID=269&LinkType=#fn=FABRIC=Wool & Wool Blend&sp=1&spc=221&ruleId=&slotId=28

1) wool or wool blend
3) black is the most versatile but navy, charcoal, camel are fine (and I could even get behind a nice red overcoat)

Something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-wool-cashmere-blend-maxi-walker-coat?ID=1518990&CategoryID=269&LinkType=#fn=FABRIC=Wool & Wool Blend&sp=1&spc=221&ruleId=&slotId=28
That's my exact coat. #winning

1) wool or wool blend

Now you make me want a nice red overcoat...but my bank account disagrees...

Reactions: 2 users
Uhm…you're not supposed to wear "thick hosiery" for your interviews. They're too casual for a professional medical school interview. Very sheer hose are what you should wear, regardless of the temperature outside.

Oh!! I was about to wear my thick nude colored hoisery to my first interview unfortunately (or fortunately) it snag and teared. So I went ahead with pants.

Anyways, for the dinner we don't have to wear hoisery, right?

1) wool or wool blend

If I am wearing a pant suit, can I get away with a nice black jacket (similar style to the link) but much shorter, with the bottom of the coat hitting mid thigh?

I have a bit of a weird question. Would it be worth it to buy the matching trousers for my suit if I currently don't have any more interviews scheduled?

I wore a sheath dress/blazer combo to my previous interviews and I think that a pant suit would be much comfortable/less frustrating. The dress is unlined, so I had to wear a slip, which unfortunately rode up repeatedly throughout the day.

I know the answer seems like an obvious "Duh!", but I'm hesitating on buying the pants because they are quite pricey, even with a 50% discount that ends on the 10th. I was able to get the original combo for roughly the same price through an insane amount of discounts/points and buying the dress used, but haven't had luck with finding the matching pants at an amazing price. I could definitely wear the trousers in everyday life, but I don't know if the investment is worth it without more interviews.

I have resisted giving a "worst outfits" list lately because the extremely uninformed dressers I've seen recently would be able to identify themselves by such a post. Nevertheless, in the interest of the greater good, I am going to recommend against: short sleeve "jackets," sport shoes (aka, tennis shoes, even if dark) and rhinestone embellishments.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a bit of a weird question. Would it be worth it to buy the matching trousers for my suit if I currently don't have any more interviews scheduled?

I wore a sheath dress/blazer combo to my previous interviews and I think that a pant suit would be much comfortable/less frustrating. The dress is unlined, so I had to wear a slip, which unfortunately rode up repeatedly throughout the day.

I know the answer seems like an obvious "Duh!", but I'm hesitating on buying the pants because they are quite pricey, even with a 50% discount that ends on the 10th. I was able to get the original combo for roughly the same price through an insane amount of discounts/points and buying the dress used, but haven't had luck with finding the matching pants at an amazing price. I could definitely wear the trousers in everyday life, but I don't know if the investment is worth it without more interviews.

Get them. You will need lots of business clothes in med school for shadowing, clinic days, etc.! A lot more than I expected. I had to buy more when I got to school because my 2 interview outfits no longer cut it.

Besides, you will save money on already having a blazer that matches. Otherwise you'd have to buy a new combo.

"Be so good they can't ignore you" - Steve Jobs

Ok for preinterview dinner business casual attire?

Looks cute but little drab with the gray on gray... I'd add some color (especially since everyone will be all business at the interview itself!).

"Be so good they can't ignore you" - Steve Jobs

I have resisted giving a "worst outfits" list lately because the extremely uninformed dressers I've seen recently would be able to identify themselves by such a post. Nevertheless, in the interest of the greater good, I am going to recommend against: short sleeve "jackets," sport shoes (aka, tennis shoes, even if dark) and rhinestone embellishments.
Ten...tennis what? Seriously?! Come to think of it, I've seen cow boy style shoes at a Midwest school...

IMG_1213.JPG
My interview footwear tomorrow. It is what it is. :oops:

You'll get the sympathy vote...
Hopefully.

It'll be a headache to try making it to your side of the coast the day after tomorrow for another interview though.

Sorry, bebe. It will pay off in the long run!
:rolleyes: You caught me off guard with that...
I don't mind the trip at all. I'm so glad that I'll be at a better place when the weather back here would be at its ****tiest.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: You caught me off guard with that...
I don't mind the trip at all. I'm so glad that I'll be at a better place when the weather back here would be at its ****test.
I have a soft spot for the crippled...

I'm not in a boot like FriendlyFH, but I'm recovering from knee surgery & require the use of a cane. Will it be acceptable for me to wear flats? My interview is in early December, so maybe I could wear pumps by then?? It would be nice to have a back-up plan in case I'm too unsteady in the pumps! :)

I'm not in a boot like FriendlyFH, but I'm recovering from knee surgery & require the use of a cane. Will it be acceptable for me to wear flats? My interview is in early December, so maybe I could wear pumps by then?? It would be nice to have a back-up plan in case I'm too unsteady in the pumps! :)
Anything but flats or a small heel would be silly with a cane.

I've been looking at various shells & blouses to wear under my suit jacket, and think I'll wear blue to go with my black suit.

Since it's so cold out, I doubt I'll take my jacket off. I'm considering a shell similar to this, but wonder if it's ok or considered too casual:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Cal...17655_zi_red&categoryId=603982&scrollTop=1913

I'd rather wear a shell to avoid having gaps caused by the girls.

Thoughts?

I've been looking at various shells & blouses to wear under my suit jacket, and think I'll wear blue to go with my black suit.

Since it's so cold out, I doubt I'll take my jacket off. I'm considering a shell similar to this, but wonder if it's ok or considered too casual:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Cal...17655_zi_red&categoryId=603982&scrollTop=1913

I'd rather wear a shell to avoid having gaps caused by the girls.

Thoughts?

I love it! I think I've been thinking to get one like that. I've been wearing white collar shirts to all my interviews. For the last two in Dec I think I'm gonna find something more girlie. Yeah, even in hot weather, you shouldn't be taking your jacket off really. So you'll be fine. The only time I took mine off was when I had the "untour" after the interview at the UMich. We had to practice deliveries on Sims.

Were you wishing me good luck on my interview? If so I appreciate that. It went well. People on the west coasts were so friendly. I didn't have to carry my stuff at all since I landed. Periodically there were even cute guys offering to piggy back me.:angelic:

So.....3/4 sleeve jackets? jewel neckline tops? dressy sneakers? oxfords? All of these are taboo?

Please help me out guys; I'm a tomboy, so when I have to dress up, I tend to just wear all black and hope people don't notice that I am still wearing jeans with sneakers.

So.....3/4 sleeve jackets? jewel neckline tops? dressy sneakers? oxfords? All of these are taboo?

Please help me out guys; I'm a tomboy, so when I have to dress up, I tend to just wear all black and hope people don't notice that I am still wearing jeans with sneakers.

3/4th sleeve jackets - no

dressy sneakers - no

oxfords - probably not, although there are some pretty oxford style low heels out there at the moment

call me a weird stickler, but in my head, your professional school interview is not the time to make an outlandish fashion statement, maybe use one understated piece of jewelry or a fun but still classy colored/materialed top, or shooz with a pretty detail to make them, but not all 3, and not over the top.

I'm a fan of the tailored/fitted dark gray jacket, rose pink silk blouse, narrow-ish trouser pant, single strand pearl necklace, mid-heel pump look. If its freezing, wear those skin colored half tight things under your pants, they'll cover your feet and keep you sort of warm, and wear a top with some sort of sleeve. I kept my hair down but pinned out of my face with hair-colored pins(no sparkly multicolored rhinestone clips)

Just wanted to pop in now that my interview cycle is over and share some of my interview wear/cosmetics yays and nays:

What I did right:
  • I dedicate this post to eyelid primer. Goodness gracious, I don't know how I went all these years without the stuff. Midway through the day my eyelids would become slick with oil, leaving me with that telltale line of makeup right in the crease of my eyelid... that was until I was gifted some of this stuff. Admittedly I was gross and sweaty by the end of my interview day, but my eye makeup remained flawless. I don't know how it works, but it does. Witchcraft, perhaps?
  • In the same vein, dry shampoo was a lifesaver. I used it for touching up my roots/fringe after long flights, which I think helped me avoid breakouts. I was blessed with a Severus Snape-like complexion, where my skin/scalp becomes extremely oily before the day is out. Since I did interviews back-to-back all across the US, the frequent weather changes and insufferably dry airplane environment really threw my skin out of whack. If you're the type of person with very sensitive skin, plan accordingly.
  • Buy your suit ahead of time (assuming you don't anticipate major weight change and/or pregnancy) to avoid a last-minute scramble. It ended up taking me about a month of fairly rigorous searching to find a suit that would fit my body type... and even then it was an "online only" suit. If you're a shade under 6' and have pronounced curves, this is the suit that worked for me. But do not despair: if you've got a more common body type I don't think you'll have as much of a problem.
  • Comfortable heels are worth their weight in gold. Some people may claim that comfortable heels don't exist, but they do. Before going to my first interview, I wore my different sets of heels out clubbing to see what ones I could put up with for 4+ hours. I found a pair that worked for me and promptly bought multiple pairs because they were such a gem.
  • Bust + button up shirt = tread carefully. Even if you wear a camisole beneath a button-up, gaps near the buttons will look sloppy. Double-sided tape may work to close the gaps, I found it tricky to deal with. As such, I abandoned all hope of wearing a classic oxford shirt because I found that fabrics like cotton and linen puckered around the buttons, no matter how large the shirt was. Instead, I went with a more drapey silk button up. I still wore a cami beneath it, but the fabric seemed to be more accommodating and I avoided the infamous shirt gap. (And I saw so many gap-ing button ups at interviews! Egad, find a different shirt.)
  • You never know if you'll have to take your blazer off, so make sure your shirt is appropriate! At one interview, everyone carried their blazers for most of the day (it was over 100 degrees outside), but this one girl with a sheer-backed blouse toddled along looking awkward and uncomfortable in her suit because her shirt wasn't appropriate on its own.
What I did wrong:
  • Don't try to "make do" with a so-so bra. The only nude and non-lacy underthing I owned was this awful front-closure racerback, which was a cup size too small. I was cheap and decided to wear it to my interviews... until it decided to unclasp midway during a tour. -__- No, just no. Go out, get properly fitted, spend the money. A good bra will improve your posture, allow your suit jacket to lie better over your torso, and stop the needless fidgeting that accompanies an uncomfortable/undone bra.
  • Most importantly: do a "run through." Wear exactly what you'd wear to your interview for one day. Do you have a major hair snafu? Can you not stand the shoes? Does your suit pinch? If I had done this I would have saved myself a lot of headache. A run through will also tell you how much time it takes to go from pyjamas to interview-ready. You want to budget your time the morning of an interview very carefully.
  • After extensive searching, the only major chains that offer "tall" options are J. Crew, Ann Taylor, and Banana Republic... and usually none of their tall suits are in-store. Nevertheless, I wasted a lot of time trying on too-short options at my local mall. Ah, human giraffe problems.
  • Get a proper tailor. I used my amateur stitch-work to shorten the sleeves on my blazer (ugh, tiny T-rex arms)... it turned out all right in the end, but it very easily could have been a disaster. Save yourself the headache.
  • Curls will unravel in Southern humidity. As a long-time Californian, I had no clue.
  • Don't go jogging in new sneakers the day before an interview and assume that you'll break them in without a hitch. Don't. That's just stupid. (I still regret it to this day).
Going into this I had little to no idea about what I was doing since I had no wardrobe role models. All my mentors were male, my girlfriends are in artsy fields, and my mum still thinks the 80s were the pinnacle of Western fashion. As such, this thread was a huge help to me and I want to thank you all for your input! All these "unwritten rules" of interview fashion feel like a headache to abide by, but they do prepare you for cultivating a professional presence. It's best to figure all this out sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users