Women's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is another interview clothing thread in the pre-DO forum but most of the posts on there are all about men's attire. Also, the thread in pre-MD forum on this topic is 10+ pages, so I thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread to discuss what my fellow female interviewees are wearing.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to shop for suits for someone on a budget?

Members don't see this ad.

There is another interview clothing thread in the pre-DO forum but most of the posts on there are all about men's attire. Also, the thread in pre-MD forum on this topic is 10+ pages, so I thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread to discuss what my fellow female interviewees are wearing.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to shop for suits for someone on a budget?

Hey there! Glad you made this!

I bought my suit (mine is a skirt suit) at H&M. I have bought pieces from them before (never a jacket) and they held up great and I got several compliments on how sharp I looked.

I would highly recommend going there! They had several pant suits when I went looking as well so if you are not a skirt kinda girl, you can still go there :)

Hey there! Glad you made this!

I bought my suit (mine is a skirt suit) at H&M. I have bought pieces from them before (never a jacket) and they held up great and I got several compliments on how sharp I looked.

I would highly recommend going there! They had several pant suits when I went looking as well so if you are not a skirt kinda girl, you can still go there :)

H&M really..never would have thought they would have something like this. Are you saying they have complete set of pant suit or do we have to buy separate pieces and try to match the jacket with the pants?

Members don't see this ad :)
H&M really..never would have thought they would have something like this. Are you saying they have complete set of pant suit or do we have to buy separate pieces and try to match the jacket with the pants?

Yeah, they had the complete set when I went there.
My skirt and suit jacket match perfectly, they have the same lining and everything. It's worth a try. They don't have it all the time here by my house but when they do it's always awesome!

I just bought a suit from the limited. I got the matching jacket, pants and skirt and an additional pair of pants for $280. Can't beat that!

I went to Kohls and bought a black blazer and black dress pants for under $100. Simple and inexpensive, yes, but classy and it fits well.

I bought my suit at Ann Taylor Loft on clearance for under $100.

i went to dress barn when i was on the interview trail. classic black lined linen dress and blazer for under $80

sounds like all you ladies got some great deals.:) Will be going on a hunt tomorrow. The crazy summer heat these days is making me stay indoors. :p

Hey are you girls buying skirts or pants? I don't know what I should purchase because I am interviewing in Iowa and Missouri in October but I don't know how cold it's going to be or if it's still pretty humid over there during that time of year.

Hi everyone! I was just wondering, this may be a stupid question, but what kind of socks are we supposed to wear with a pant suit? I bought a one inch heel shoe to go with it, but when I walk around or sit, the top of my foot shows through and I don't know if i'm supposed to wear trouser socks or nylons or what? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

pant suit. if i wear a skirt I'll look awkward as hell...

Hi everyone! I was just wondering, this may be a stupid question, but what kind of socks are we supposed to wear with a pant suit? I bought a one inch heel shoe to go with it, but when I walk around or sit, the top of my foot shows through and I don't know if i'm supposed to wear trouser socks or nylons or what? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

I have never worn socks with heels. Your pants should be long enough for the top of your foot/ankle to not show.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey are you girls buying skirts or pants? I don't know what I should purchase because I am interviewing in Iowa and Missouri in October but I don't know how cold it's going to be or if it's still pretty humid over there during that time of year.

pants for me.

I am wearing a skirt.

Also, for the socks, when I wear pants I wear the knee high nylons and not regular socks. I jut buy some skin color knee highs (they sell shorter too I believe) and it does the trick.

Reactions: 1 user
finally bought a pant suit from nordstrom rack store. I have to say that I wish these suits were better cut for a women's body. Trying them on, I felt so masculine. Bought the one that fit me the best. It should work.

finally bought a pant suit from nordstrom rack store. I have to say that I wish these suits were better cut for a women's body. Trying them on, I felt so masculine. Bought the one that fit me the best. It should work.

That's why I opted out of the pant suit. Felt too masculine wearing it, not my thing. I am sure you look great though. :)

What is everyone's take on what to wear in hot/humid weather?

I will be interviewing in florida and really don't want to be sweating my face off in an interview. Would a longer pencil skirt and conservative, sleeveless top be appropriate? Any advice would be welcomes as I will be shopping for outfits soon!

I will be interviewing in florida and really don't want to be sweating my face off in an interview. Would a longer pencil skirt and conservative, sleeveless top be appropriate? Any advice would be welcomes as I will be shopping for outfits soon!

I am pretty sure the interview would be indoors, which would be air-conditioned. So, this should hopefully take care of the hot weather conditions. I am interviewing in florida as well, and will take of my suit jacket during the tour, if needed. I plan on carrying a bag, where I could put some flats, suit jacket etc.

how are you girls thinking of doing your hair?

My hair is medium length, just at the shoulder. I'm wearing it down, definitely, but getting it layered a few days in advance so that it has some body to it. I might pin my bangs back.

My hair is pretty long; goes half way down my back. I was initially thinking of an updo/bun but since suits have such a masculine look to them (atleast I think so :D) I was thinking of leaving my hair down by braiding the front hair so it will stay out of my face. something like this :
http://jp2.r0tt.com/l_2dca3fa0-9a4f-11e1-ac93-4da708b00002.jpg

That's really pretty.

I am considering wearing my hair down too.
Mine is medium length but it's super layered so a bun isn't gonna stay the whole day.

This is one of the reasons I love my pixie cut. :p Easy and professional.

sigh...only if I had the kind of face to pull of a pixie. I am sure it will make me look like a 13 year old transgender boy. haha:D

That's really pretty.

I am considering wearing my hair down too.
Mine is medium length but it's super layered so a bun isn't gonna stay the whole day.

sounds good. just make sure you think about the weather conditions of wherever you are interviewing. I will be in Florida and there are chances that my hair will turn into a poofy mess in the humidity so will be bringing along a hair tie, just in case.

Hi everyone! I need some advice! :D

Q1: I just bought a one-button jacket (+pants) suit from Express and I love it but when I tuck my button-up shirt, a tiny bit of the shirt is still awkwardly visible under my jacket's button... Should I just leave my shirt un-tucked? I think it looks better that way but would an un-tucked shirt be too informal?

The shirt doesn't peek from under the jacket fro behind or anything.

Oh, and Q2: Would a striped button-up be okay under a black suit? Or should I stick to the classic solid colors?

My hair is all the way to my waist so I think wearing it down would be pretty messy! I'm opting for the sleek pony tail look to keep it professional looking.

I got my suit at Ann Taylor. It's some tropical wool or something but they claim it keeps you cool in hot weather. I'm interviewing in Texas tomorrow and it's supposed to be really hot. I also opted for the pant suit because I'm really tall and I think a skirt would have kinda distracting.

Hi everyone! I need some advice! :D

Q1: I just bought a one-button jacket (+pants) suit from Express and I love it but when I tuck my button-up shirt, a tiny bit of the shirt is still awkwardly visible under my jacket's button... Should I just leave my shirt un-tucked? I think it looks better that way but would an un-tucked shirt be too informal?

The shirt doesn't peek from under the jacket fro behind or anything.

Oh, and Q2: Would a striped button-up be okay under a black suit? Or should I stick to the classic solid colors?

I kinda have the same problem and I'm just going to tuck my shirt in anyways. If your jacket covers your shirt then maybe you can get away with leaving it untucked. As far as a stripped shirt, I think it would look great! Plain colors are always "safe" but I like to venture out and be brave sometimes. :)
My shirt has a very modest pattern on it. From far away it looks like a solid color but up close you can see the pattern. I also got a suit that is a tan/olive color. I'm kinda nervous about the color since I'm treading out of the black and gray world but the suit is very nice and looks great.

So I have no idea what to wear for makeup or even where to start. I only wear makeup when I go clubbing (translation, I wear makeup five days a year: New Year's, my birthday, last day of spring semester, Halloween, and last day of fall semester) and it's all leftover from my high school goth days, black eyeshadow, black eyeliner, blood red lipstick.

I've got the stereotypical goth "look" pale skin, dark eyes, black hair and I'm planning to play it safe with a black suit, solid white button up, and oxfords. So should I try neutral/nude tones or just not wear makeup period? What color nailpolish or no nailpolish?

Im in Missouri.... I would wear a skirt suit no matter the weather, it looks more professional. (my boss is an adcom and told me this)

I heard one button jackets are too casual for med school interviews? I also tried on one from Express and adored it --- I feel like the 2 buttoners are too stuffy. but I went with a Loft 2 button skirt suit

I loved the 1 button jackets but as soon as I tried the 2 button one, Its was quite clear that this had a more "professional" look to it. In the end, as long as you dont look casual, I don't thing it really matters how many buttons are on your jacket.

So I have no idea what to wear for makeup or even where to start. I only wear makeup when I go clubbing (translation, I wear makeup five days a year: New Year's, my birthday, last day of spring semester, Halloween, and last day of fall semester) and it's all leftover from my high school goth days, black eyeshadow, black eyeliner, blood red lipstick.

I've got the stereotypical goth "look" pale skin, dark eyes, black hair and I'm planning to play it safe with a black suit, solid white button up, and oxfords. So should I try neutral/nude tones or just not wear makeup period? What color nailpolish or no nailpolish?

I think makeup, when used properly, can really make a world of difference in making you look more presentable. If you don't have much practice with makeup, youtube "work/nuteral makeup" and you will find tons of helpful tutorials.

Im going to interview in Washington DC in a few weeks and it looks like its going to be pretty hot and humid. Is it appropriate to wear a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt under your suit top? I know that during the tours that people usually take off their suit jackets if it is hot but I don't want to look unprofessional if I wear a short sleeve or end up sweating a ton if I wear something long sleeve. any thoughts?

Im going to interview in Washington DC in a few weeks and it looks like its going to be pretty hot and humid. Is it appropriate to wear a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt under your suit top? I know that during the tours that people usually take off their suit jackets if it is hot but I don't want to look unprofessional if I wear a short sleeve or end up sweating a ton if I wear something long sleeve. any thoughts?

There are plenty of professional shirts out there that are not full sleeves. Wearing short sleeve or sleeve less is fine in my opinion.

I live here in DC and it is super humid and gross. I think if you're indoors you can easily keep your jacket on and if you end up outside then you can take it off. It's seriously hot and gross here. I don't think they'll be mad if you want to keep cool.

Pencil skirts are fine as long as they aren't inappropriately tight. You should wear nylons though, at least that's what I've always been told. I think you could get away with a nice short sleeved top but I personally wouldn't do sleeveless.

Are you guys bringing a nice purse or ditching it all together and taking a nice looking folder/portfolio type deal?

That's what I was thinking about doing...a purse just sounds like it would be annoying during a long day
I thought the same thing! I didn't like the idea of carrying a stupid purse around all day. During my interview last week, the other two girls weren't carrying anything at all so I think the "ditch the purse" idea is pretty common.

I thought the same thing! I didn't like the idea of carrying a stupid purse around all day. During my interview last week, the other two girls weren't carrying anything at all so I think the "ditch the purse" idea is pretty common.

I would ditch everything all together except I hate not having my phone and ID/debt card...and my stupid suit doesn't have pockets on the inside of the jacket like most men's suits

Are you guys bringing a nice purse or ditching it all together and taking a nice looking folder/portfolio type deal?

This whole time I've been seeing you in the NSU thread and thinking you are a guy. I assume everyone on the internet is a guy though.

This whole time I've been seeing you in the NSU thread and thinking you are a guy. I assume everyone on the internet is a guy though.

Haha its cool, I'm a girl and still assume everyone's a guy.

I would ditch everything all together except I hate not having my phone and ID/debt card...and my stupid suit doesn't have pockets on the inside of the jacket like most men's suits
Yeah me too. That's why I opted for the leather folder. My leather folder thing had some pockets where I could put my ID and debit card. I thought it looked nice and it was easier to carry around. Purses just seem to get in the way all the time.
I left my phone in the car. There is no reason to have it. A couple of the kids in my interview group kept taking their phones out and texting while waiting for interviews and during our school tour and I thought that was seriously unprofessional.

I hope to get lucky to actually folliw this advice next app season...My BFF got me one of those profession bag type thingies (I'm such a tomboy) that I'll be taking I think. I can fit a folder, make up (or chap stick in my case!) a bottled water, laptop etc.

As for hair? I suspect my locs will be below shoulder length by then so it'll go up in a professional bun or curly top bun.

I wish I could do a skirt but my mama gave me a little too much junk and I just don't feel comfortable and am insanely jealous of those that can rock a pencil skirt. So pants suit it will be

i hope to get lucky to actually folliw this advice next app season...my bff got me one of those profession bag type thingies (i'm such a tomboy) that i'll be taking i think. I can fit a folder, make up (or chap stick in my case!) a bottled water, laptop etc.

As for hair? I suspect my locs will be below shoulder length by then so it'll go up in a professional bun or curly top bun.

i wish i could do a skirt but my mama gave me a little too much junk and i just don't feel comfortable and am insanely jealous of those that can rock a pencil skirt. So pants suit it will be

lol!

Yeah me too. That's why I opted for the leather folder. My leather folder thing had some pockets where I could put my ID and debit card. I thought it looked nice and it was easier to carry around. Purses just seem to get in the way all the time.
I left my phone in the car. There is no reason to have it. A couple of the kids in my interview group kept taking their phones out and texting while waiting for interviews and during our school tour and I thought that was seriously unprofessional.

Do you have the folder in your hands while answering the interview questions? I talk with my hands a lot so this would be something I need to consider. I imagine those with purses just place it on the floor next to their seats during the interview. Knowing myself, I would probably forget to grab my purse in the excitement/nervousness of the interview being over....dang I didn't even think of this!:confused:

I hope to get lucky to actually folliw this advice next app season...My BFF got me one of those profession bag type thingies (I'm such a tomboy) that I'll be taking I think. I can fit a folder, make up (or chap stick in my case!) a bottled water, laptop etc.

I wish I could do a skirt but my mama gave me a little too much junk and I just don't feel comfortable and am insanely jealous of those that can rock a pencil skirt. So pants suit it will be

Girl if I my mama had given me more junk in my truck I would gladly rock a pant suit...I have to resort to skirts to look like a woman otherwise I just look like a little boy!