Women's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh oh... Pencil skirts are out if you have a quite-round bottom? I have a very... distinctive... pear shape, with my waist-to-hip varying by around ~10 inches. It makes it nearly impossible to buy a set (I differ 3-4 sizes on top and bottom) so I have to buy separates.

You guys would say skirts are out? Just go for pants? Note: I am also extremely short (5'0). I've worn skirts before to political events... never thought it would maybe be more unprofessional for my body shape...

Members don't see this ad.

Uh oh... Pencil skirts are out if you have a quite-round bottom? I have a very... distinctive... pear shape, with my waist-to-hip varying by around ~10 inches. It makes it nearly impossible to buy a set (I differ 3-4 sizes on top and bottom) so I have to buy separates.

You guys would say skirts are out? Just go for pants? Note: I am also extremely short (5'0). I've worn skirts before to political events... never thought it would maybe be more unprofessional for my body shape...

I think you can still wear a skirt! I went to H&M and bought separates. You can pick the skirt your size and the suit another size. There are other stores that sell matching separates as well.

It's important to get something that makes you feel comfortable and confident. If you find a skirt or pants that do that then go for it but I do not think a skirt would make you look unprofessional because of your body type. Shop around, try stuff on and you should find something that you feel confident in!

I interviewed for med school apps in 2008, and I'm prepping for residency interviews now, so this is on my mind.

Pencil skirts are perfectly appropriate if they are actually professional. For example, you do not want to buy a 50% lycra/spandex blended pencil skirt or something similarly stretchy. The idea is to go for tailored, not for form fitting. I also have a fairly distinct waist to hip ratio, so I've looked into the options a bit.

I'd recommend doing the dressy-store-in-the-mall rounds to try things on in person. Think J. Crew, Limited, NY&C, Banana Republic, etc. Expect to spend between $150-300 for two pieces depending on sales. Try to budget for possible tailoring.

Look for separates in whatever suit cut you feel the most comfortable in. Skirts should hit at the knee (or below if you need them long for religious or cultural reasons). Pants should be properly tailored to your height and not cropped/capri. Suit dresses are also a great option (my preference), and should follow the same length rules as skirts.

Suit jackets should be standard, not cropped. Select the number of suit jacket buttons based on fit and chest size; bear in mind that a one button jacket on a larger bust will look less tailored than a three button jacket. Remember that you want to look polished/tailored.

Go for suits that are solid colors or have subtle patterns. Darker colors (gray, black, brown, navy) are best.

Blouses should not be revealing AT ALL. Button downs, ruffles, bows are all fine. Consider tights since many interviews occur during colder months, and often schools/hospitals are very chilly.

Shoes should be comfortable enough for you to walk quickly in. Heels are fine. Flats are fine. Again, go for polished, and wear something that is normal for you. Colors should be conservative, and knee high boots/booties/anything trendy is not a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just bought my suit! Charcoal grey separates from Calvin Klein - very nice looking and reasonably priced at Macy's! Now I need a blouse girly enough to keep my looking like a clone of Rachel Maddow. Only problem with a pixie cut and a suit, haha! Gotta try to not look butch.

I just bought my suit! Charcoal grey separates from Calvin Klein - very nice looking and reasonably priced at Macy's! Now I need a blouse girly enough to keep my looking like a clone of Rachel Maddow. Only problem with a pixie cut and a suit, haha! Gotta try to not look butch.

LOL
Rachel Maddow is hot! If you are as well spoken and as funny as she is you will get your spot lol! Maybe try some earrings and a nice necklace "feminize" your look? If you get really nice classy jewelry and a delicate shirt you will look super sharp!

I wasn't saying that I'm sorry! My waist/hips are about 10 inches difference also and I think it might be my shape more than the difference. 5'2". Maybe I'll try more on but I felt like a sausage.

I posted this on the "what to bring with you" thread, and thought I'd share on this thread too:

So I'm in constant "prevent emergencies" mode, so in my purse (I'm a girl, I can get away with it! And, it's tiny.) I keep antacids, headache meds (I am prone to headaches on the worst possible days to have them), and a couple tissues just in case something happens during the interview day.

I also bring a small leather portfolio-thing to keep a small notebook and a pen. Leave anything cumbersome behind, you won't need it. The goal of the day is to stay focused.

I posted this on the "what to bring with you" thread, and thought I'd share on this thread too:

So I'm in constant "prevent emergencies" mode, so in my purse (I'm a girl, I can get away with it! And, it's tiny.) I keep antacids, headache meds (I am prone to headaches on the worst possible days to have them), and a couple tissues just in case something happens during the interview day.

I also bring a small leather portfolio-thing to keep a small notebook and a pen. Leave anything cumbersome behind, you won't need it. The goal of the day is to stay focused.

I also brought a small leather portfolio with me. It was nice to keep the papers in, but it wasn't necessary. Most of the females also had a small purse with them. We kept them in the room that we started in during our interviews though so our hands were free.

As for a suit, I wore a dark grey pant suit with an eggplant blouse. I would say the more conservative the better (especially with skirts). I have a matching skirt with this suit that I plan on wearing to other interviews and it is knee length.

is it ok to take the suit jacket off during the tour or any other time if it gets really hot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the verdict on jewelry/accessories and a small nose ring? I am South Asian so it is cultural but Ie had it forever and its really hard to take off.

Whats the verdict on jewelry/accessories and a small nose ring? I am South Asian so it is cultural but Ie had it forever and its really hard to take off.

I took my nose ring out. Its not viewed the same in the American culture as it is in South Asian culture, where it is no big deal. Better safe than sorry.

is it ok to take the suit jacket off during the tour or any other time if it gets really hot?

I kept mine on the whole time. But I was also wearing a sleeveless blouse under, so I thought it would be professional to keep the jacket on.

The only time you would be outdoors is for a tour, and that shouldn't last too terribly long.

I am looking for a skirt suit but would like my top to be a color other than white potentially with a pattern. I think ya important to reflect your personality and I feel to stuffy in plain black and white. Would a brighter color or pattern be inappropriate?

My suit is a charcoal grey skirt suit, but my top is pink with ruffles. I think it looks feminine, confident, and professional. :)

I have a pair of linen pants... Never again. They wrinkle like a pug no matter the amount of ironing or steaming... But I do love them

What is everyone's opinion on linen material suits (like this http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Women/Shop/Suits/PantSuit/PRD~110105950018362/Nine+West+Suit+Notch+Collar+Pant+Suit.jsp?off=19)?

They seem quite trendy this year so I've seen them everywhere.

I just bought a gorgeous pin-stripe suit from NY&C but I think I'm going to return it and try again. It's hugging the rear a little too much :(.

Honestly, having been to one interview already, I will tell you to not to worry about this too much. As long your overall appearance looks professional, you should be fine. Plus, other than during the tour, you are going to be sitting down majority of the day anyways. At my interview, I saw a girl wear a professional looking knee length skirt with a semi-casual top. You would think that she would stand out but it really didn't seem to be a big deal.

I think us girl, me included, over think about whats appropriate and whats not a little too much.

What do you guys think of wearing a skirt with black/opaque tights or thicker tights? I have a tattoo on my leg and dont want to show it obv. Or should i stick with my pant suit?

This is me channeling any pre-interview anxiety into my choice of footwear:

I have an interview coming up at a school in Maine. They've had a lot of snow up there recently, and I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing boots with my suit.
I have these trousers, but in navy:
img-thing

And I'm thinking of wearing them with these boots:
look-casual-chic7.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm being super neurotic about my attire :( It's my first interview...

I still need to choose a shirt and I'm not sure whether the shoes are too pointy?? The first interview is next Monday in New Mexico and the second is in Atlanta, Georgia. Any suggestions for shirts?

Charcoal Calvin Klein pantsuit
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-two-button-blazer-pantsuit?ID=671738&CategoryID=13156

Black Nine West Mafalda Pump
Amazon product

Silver Michael Kors flat disc earrings
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/michael-kors-flat-disc-logo-crystal-stud-earrings?ID=2383871&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340003386466&catargetid=120156340001257608&cadevice=m&cm_mmc=Google_Jewelry_Fashion_PLA_PLA-_-Fashion+Jewelry+-+Earrings+-+GS_Stud+Earrings-_-46466079383_-_-_mkwid_Xf6MfANM|dm_46466079383|-|Xf6MfANM

Black/Black Dooney & Bourke Lexington
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/dooney-bourke-pebble-lexington-shopper?ID=875642&CategoryID=27725

Last edited:
I'm being super neurotic about my attire :( It's my first interview...

I still need to choose a shirt and I'm not sure whether the shoes are too pointy?? The first interview is next Monday in New Mexico and the second is in Atlanta, Georgia. Any suggestions for shirts?

Charcoal Calvin Klein pantsuit
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-two-button-blazer-pantsuit?ID=671738&CategoryID=13156

Black Nine West Mafalda Pump
Amazon product

Silver Michael Kors flat disc earrings
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/michael-kors-flat-disc-logo-crystal-stud-earrings?ID=2383871&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340003386466&catargetid=120156340001257608&cadevice=m&cm_mmc=Google_Jewelry_Fashion_PLA_PLA-_-Fashion+Jewelry+-+Earrings+-+GS_Stud+Earrings-_-46466079383_-_-_mkwid_Xf6MfANM|dm_46466079383|-|Xf6MfANM

Black/Black Dooney & Bourke Lexington
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/dooney-bourke-pebble-lexington-shopper?ID=875642&CategoryID=27725

The shoes are fine...either one (I prefer the INC as they appear more feminine and classic with the lower vamp).

You might consider earrings that aren't logo and a less casual bag, however.

As for blouses, pick something in a color that flatters your skin tone and in a shape that flatters your physique. Without knowing what you're working with, its hard to make suggestions (other than the obvious of no cleavage, button fronts are hard to wear, no sequins etc).

The shoes are fine...either one (I prefer the INC as they appear more feminine and classic with the lower vamp).

You might consider earrings that aren't logo and a less casual bag, however.

As for blouses, pick something in a color that flatters your skin tone and in a shape that flatters your physique. Without knowing what you're working with, its hard to make suggestions (other than the obvious of no cleavage, button fronts are hard to wear, no sequins etc).

Thanks for the advice. The bag is actually much nicer looking in person, with a different texture and finish.

Also, today my dog chewed the INC pump so... Nine West it is, which is what the pants were tailored for anyways, but I do agree with you that the INC pump look classic in comparison.

And I'll look for other studs that match the silver toned buttons on the suit. Still looking for a shirt. I've been told it depends on how conservative the school is and which coast it's on.. this first interview is at the new DO school Burrell COM in New Mexico. As for my physique, I have a short neck and heavy midsection, small chest. I'm Indian so light brown neutral skin tone, black hair. Basically, I've been told a button-up is the best option and I'd like something in coral, but I'd think a more satin/silk finish would be nice so...would it be okay to stray from the more conservative button-up?

Attachments

• 1448258280658-259680557.jpg
    1448258280658-259680557.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The bag is actually much nicer looking in person, with a different texture and finish.

Also, today my dog chewed the INC pump so... Nine West it is, which is what the pants were tailored for anyways.

And I'll look for other studs that match the silver toned buttons on the suit.

Still looking for a shirt.
I'm familiar with the bag; the issue is that the style/shape is casual. You'll even see that this is marketed as a tote to carry your shopping purchases in. When purchasing something this big, it makes us wonder what you could possibly need to have with you, and that translates as high maintenance.

It's been a frequent source of conversation in the clothing threads.

I'm familiar with the bag; the issue is that the style/shape is casual. You'll even see that this is marketed as a tote to carry your shopping purchases in. When purchasing something this big, it makes us wonder what you could possibly need to have with you, and that translates as high maintenance.

It's been a frequent source of conversation in the clothing threads.

Oh, okay - then I suppose I'll be looking for a new purse. I was actually drawn to a tote because in a separate thread about women's interview clothing #3 on SDN it was repeatedly advised to carry a tote bag style of purse which would hold a padfolio so less things would be carried in hand. I understand your reasoning, so what type of bag style would you suggest?