WSU c/o 2017 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abnerrs

Heckin Bamboozled Again
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my top choice school so thought I'd start the thread. Yay!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, why is it your top choice? It's one of my 4 choices, being in one of the few places I'm willing to live for 4-5 years.

Just curious, why is it your top choice? It's one of my 4 choices, being in one of the few places I'm willing to live for 4-5 years.

I love the program and the people (though honestly I would probably fall in love with any program that I got into) I prefer the location, my state has a really great relationship with WSU and the option to get in state tuition after the first year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the program and the people (though honestly I would probably fall in love with any program that I got into) I prefer the location, my state has a really great relationship with WSU and the option to get in state tuition after the first year :)

:thumbup:Oh ya, I like that too

Go Washington! I'm applying this year too, but I am a Utah resident so I will be applying for the 2+2 thing, 2 years in Utah then transfer up to Washington. It's also my first choice! I will get IS tuition all 4 years (heck yeah!). I absolutely loved the school, town, and everyone I met when I visited. It seems like a really great program and I think I would enjoy being closer to home during vet. school. While it might not be as "cool" as going somewhere farther away, I think my mental health will be better if I can see my family more often :laugh:

Good luck to you guys!!

I was a 3 time (YIKES!!) applicant. And it was Dr. Talcott (admissions director) that got me through the process. She and the other faculty were so incredibly supportive and answered my 4 billion phone calls and frantic emails when I was sweating it out on the top third of the wait list last year. I am so thankful for the student services department and Wazzu's amazing admissions director.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about applying and/or living in Pullman (I moved here while agonizing over the wait list last summer). I'm no expert but I did go through it 3 times (not sure whether that makes my help more or less desirable) :)

Good luck to you guys!!

I was a 3 time (YIKES!!) applicant. And it was Dr. Talcott (admissions director) that got me through the process. She and the other faculty were so incredibly supportive and answered my 4 billion phone calls and frantic emails when I was sweating it out on the top third of the wait list last year. I am so thankful for the student services department and Wazzu's amazing admissions director.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about applying and/or living in Pullman (I moved here while agonizing over the wait list last summer). I'm no expert but I did go through it 3 times (not sure whether that makes my help more or less desirable) :)

:laugh: A kindred spirit!! This is my 3rd app :oops:

Third times the charm! Just keep on chugging! I got my offer of acceptance while working in lab and was forced to leave the lab and get myself together because I was crying/hyperventilating uncontrollably. So let me just say, although it feels like it will probably never end, and you feel completely helpless while youre absolutely at the mercy of some faceless adcom, every second of agony is worth it when you read that opening line beginning with 'Congratulations!!'. And you just realized your dreams can come true (now just the pesky, passing vet school part) :)

I'm considering applying! I'm OOS so I know that is against me, but by their system I'm a tier 1 applicant so I think I'm going to give it a shot! I don't really know that much about WSU yet, but I figure I'll know more around when the supp app opens up. Woo! Cue high school musical: "We're all in this together!":D

Yayyyy! The first school class of 2017 thread! I'm not applying to WSU but for some reason this makes me really excited!

:luck::xf: to all of you for WSU!

I'm applying to WSU this year! First time applicant, Washington resident. I took the gre today and I think I'm going to have to take it again :(

Camelidcrazy, what did you do differently this time that made you a successful applicant?

Long post (be forewarned):

First Application:
My ap had several issues. I apparently didn't fill out the honors/awards section? I don't believe that- I'm still sure something went wrong with VMCAS. Also my grades were an issue with a 3.3 GPA. Although my GRE was good-ish (I don't remember raw scores. Something like 63% math UGH!, 85% verbal, 88% writing). I had some good rational for my low GPA and pretty high hours/diverse experience so landed the interview but ultimately wasn't selected. Had an ap review and was told to take some more classes and get A's (prove my deficiency was related to the circumstances) and retake the GRE to improve the math.

Second Application:

I worked my arse off and pulled my GPA up marginally with 4 classes (all A's) while continuing to work full time and retook the GRE. Only raised my math by maybe 5% points which really, really sucked. Reapplied, did the whole interview circus and then was waitlisted. Got another ap review, was told I was top 1/3rd of the IS waitlist and that there were no real issues with my ap. This was really frustrating; I was told it was a numbers game and I was incredibly close but my GPA put me behind a handful of other applicants (thus the waitlist). Le sigh.

Application Three:

I reapplied after relocating to Pullman, taking a job working for the vet school (as a research tech in a reproductive biology lab), took one more class and was accepted outright.

Overall- I wasn't an amazing applicant to begin with but they take your perseverance and the change in your application from cycle to cycle into consideration and ultimately took a chance on me. I am thankful everyday of my life for it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got in on my third application. For me, it was all about getting more and more experience. I was in the veeery top of Tier 2.

Good luck to everyone applying and CONGRATS to those matriculating in the Class of 2016! :D WSU is an AMAZING vet school and you will LOVE it! :thumbup:

Good luck to those applying to Pullman! :love::love:

I've only been there once (got a grant to present a poster), but it's so frickin' huge (at least to my poor commuter-campus eyes). Everything is so shiny. And anyone that goes there, GO TO FERDINANDS. Best ice cream and cheese ever. :love::love::love:

WSU is awesome, if my experience at one of their commuter campuses has anything to say. I have a couple friends over there who love it too.

Best of luck. :love:

Count me on apply here too. So far abs and are 3/3 for applying to same schools

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

:love::love: We'll be classmates maybe!!!!!! (I kinda doubt you'll be applying to the AL schools though?)

Schools Wld is applying to:
UC Davis, Oregon State, Washington State, Kansas State, Iowa State, AUBURN, and NC State

has anyone done the supplemental yet? what is on it?

I just want to say they are running out of early if it isn't open yet :laugh:

I know. It has a sign saying applications are closed and all the dates are 2011. Who knows though, maybe they just didn't change the one page.

hm, interesting. I know it wasn't up in June when I checked, but I figured it'd be up by now. Guess not! thanks guys :)

They are SUPER behind this year. Our acceptance packets were a full month late. If they didn't even finish our admissions until June, they are probably running really behind on the next cycle too :)

Hey guys, the supplemental is up! I started it yesterday, but it seems pretty intense. Lots of entering stuff in. One thing I noticed is that they said that we aren't supposed to send our transcripts, if we get an interview we will bring them then. Did I understand this right? I don't want to miss anything...

Hey you guys, I really want to apply to WSU but I've heard that the school doesn't take many out of state students. Does anyone know how true this is? I'm planning on applying to a lot of schools but if the WSU supplemental app is hefty and my chances are low maybe I'll start to consider some other schools...

Thanks so much!

Hey guys, the supplemental is up! I started it yesterday, but it seems pretty intense. Lots of entering stuff in. One thing I noticed is that they said that we aren't supposed to send our transcripts, if we get an interview we will bring them then. Did I understand this right? I don't want to miss anything...

We definitely had to send in transcripts the years I applied. Do you think they possibly said 'fall transcripts'? Because you bring an unofficial copy to your interview and just have to have an official copy mailed prior to matriculation. There is a chance that things changed though, I would contact Barbara Hodson. She is in this week but dealing with 1st yr enrollment glitches so email might be slow.

Here is the information I found on the website:

NEW for 2012 - Please do NOT submit transcripts during the 2012 application process. Only students who are offered an interview will be asked to bring with them a copy of all their transcripts. If you have any questions, please contact the admissions office at 509-335-5107 or 509-335-1532

I might call them just to be sure.

UofIllinois13, the supplemental really isn't as bad as I thought. There are no essays, so that's nice. you do have to enter a few classes in, but only for the required feilds. Also, the Utah program takes an additional 10 OOS students. It's a new program, just starting this year, but it should be really good. It should be almost exactly like WSU except you are in Utah for the first two years. But I think even the towns are similar :laugh: Let me know if you have any questions!

That sounds pretty concrete. Sounds like they are changing things up quite a bit this cycle! Great for you guys!

Save the 20$ on mailing transcripts :)

Okay- I'm going back to where I belong and leaving your thread alone now.

That sounds pretty concrete. Sounds like they are changing things up quite a bit this cycle! Great for you guys!

Save the 20$ on mailing transcripts :)

Okay- I'm going back to where I belong and leaving your thread alone now.

Yeah, I thought it was great too :) it's not like they don't know what classes we've taken and our grades since we put them all in VMCAS anyways :rolleyes:

WSU has spent the past year designing a new system for students (zzusis's student center upgrade) and they're horribly behind on everything (financial aid, registration, everything). So there's also that. It doesn't help that it's confusing to everyone, professors and students included.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to see the supplemental application without having to pay the $60 fee first? For example, I know U of I has a mock application posted that anyone can access before the decide if they want to pay the fee...

Also, I just wanted to check: The prerequisite page lists that we only need 4 hours of organic chem lab/lecture... So this means no organic chem 2 right? I only took organic chem 1 and don't want to go through the whole application process to find out I don't even have the right credits

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/prospectiveStudents/Requirements.aspx

Does anyone know if there is anyway to see the supplemental application without having to pay the $60 fee first? For example, I know U of I has a mock application posted that anyone can access before the decide if they want to pay the fee...

Also, I just wanted to check: The prerequisite page lists that we only need 4 hours of organic chem lab/lecture... So this means no organic chem 2 right? I only took organic chem 1 and don't want to go through the whole application process to find out I don't even have the right credits

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/prospectiveStudents/Requirements.aspx

While I think that is technically true, many schools require the whole o-chem series as a pre-req for biochem... and biochem is a prereq for WSU. Having too many credits in upper division classes (assuming you have good grades,) will never hurt your chances, but not having biochem will!

While I think that is technically true, many schools require the whole o-chem series as a pre-req for biochem... and biochem is a prereq for WSU. Having too many credits in upper division classes (assuming you have good grades,) will never hurt your chances, but not having biochem will!

Thank you for the warning! Thankfully I did notice the importance of biochem and am signed up to take the class this fall. I studied abroad last fall and it's been a struggle to get in all these pre-reqs before senior year :scared:

And when you say most schools require the whole organic chem series as a pre-req for biochem you mean undergraduate schools, correct? Thankfully to take biochem at U of I we only have to have taken organic chem 1 and the accompanying organic chem 1 lab course (and I took these last spring) ...you don't mean vet schools won't accept your biochem credit if you haven't taken organic chem 2 even though they are a school that don't technically require organic chem 2, right? That may seem like a silly question but I just want to double check

Last edited:
Thank you for the warning! Thankfully I did notice the importance of biochem and am signed up to take the class this fall. I studied abroad last fall and it's been a struggle to get in all these pre-reqs before senior year :scared:

And when you say most schools require the whole organic chem series as a pre-req for biochem you mean undergraduate schools, correct? Thankfully to take biochem at U of I we only have to have taken organic chem 1 and the accompanying organic chem 1 lab course (and I took these last spring) ...you don't mean vet schools won't accept your biochem credit if you haven't taken organic chem 2 even though they are a school that don't technically require organic chem 2, right? That may seem like a silly question but I just want to double check

If the vet school only requires orgo 1 and biochem, you should be fine.

Sorry for the confusion!

If your undergrad school does not require a full course of o-chem to take biochem, then you are fine.

I just mentioned it because at my undergrad school, all of the ochem was required for biochem, and several people I know skipped the last portion of ochem because the schools they were applying to did not require it, not realizing that it was required for biochem, which they needed. It was totally their own fault I know, I just wanted to put it out there in case!

Sweet, thanks for the clarification! And I still appreciate the warning regardless, it's been a headache to keep all of these schools' requirements straight and it's nice to hear clarification back from an actual person verses just scouring the different school' websites.

Submitted the application today! woohoo! One step closer! :)

Just making sure...we do NOT have to enter in experience if it's listed in the VMCAS correct?

I've called them too many times today :oops:

Just making sure...we do NOT have to enter in experience if it's listed in the VMCAS correct?

I've called them too many times today :oops:

Exactly. I put on my VMCAS, so it is blank. Emailed them about pets and pet sitting. No response yet.

Good luck to everyone who applied to WSU this year! I'm so excited and anxious to hear back :):):xf:

Okie dokie, you have quivered in fear and dread and your heart has skipped a beat. I apologize.

I looked up last year's interview invite dates here on SDN. Here they are: 12/14, 12/19, 12/21, and 1/3.

Interviews for OOS are the very end of January.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I emailed admissions last week about some missing stuff for my application, I was told that they started looking at applications last week! Hopefully interview invites won't be too far off! I was told to expect to hear something during the first few weeks of december. Also, invites/acceptances come by email, but rejections come by snail mail (at least, that's what I was told by last year's applicants). good luck everyone! :luck: