WSU c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else who is an OOS acceptance in the WIMU program starting in Utah but preferred to start in Washington have any info about waitlist prioritization? I was told when I was accepted it would be possible to still maybe start in Washington if one of the Washington OOS students relinquished their seats, but was curious how that works with the numbered waitlist that was sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

I got rejected a while back but I’ve gotten two emails saying to update my WSU email password. Is this happening for everyone else too?

I got rejected a while back but I’ve gotten two emails saying to update my WSU email password. Is this happening for everyone else too?
I’ve gotten two emails regarding that recently and I didn’t even apply this past cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else who is an OOS acceptance in the WIMU program starting in Utah but preferred to start in Washington have any info about waitlist prioritization? I was told when I was accepted it would be possible to still maybe start in Washington if one of the Washington OOS students relinquished their seats, but was curious how that works with the numbered waitlist that was sent out.
I would reach out to the school directly. This was very unheard of when I was there.

I got accepted to that program and they had said the same thing regarding being pulled from Utah to Pullman as I put on my application that I preferred to go to Pullman. I ended up declining my seat about a month ago, but the only other info that I can give you is that they told me they’d send more information in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone that was able to attend visitation day give their takeaways/impressions? Maybe some of your perceived pros and cons?

Could someone that was able to attend visitation day give their takeaways/impressions? Maybe some of your perceived pros and cons?

Hey there! I love your username btw!
Here’s my list from the interview day:
> Can i get into the MPH program after I’ve gotten in to the DVM program? (WSU doesn’t have a dual degree program but you can get a business administration certificate)
> What is the student culture like here? Is it competitive? Cliquey? (Not competitive at all people really bond with each other in the program especially by second year. There does seem to be a culture of finding a smaller group of friends but no group is exclusive, everyone wants to help each other succeed.)
> Are classes pass/fail or graded? (WSU is pass fail. you get grades back on individual exams but as long as you get over a 75 (I think?) in each class you pass and that helps keep competition down)
> What resources are there for students in regards to mental health? (The vet school has 3 mental health counselors who work specifically with students in the vet school and are available for appointments)
> What resources are there in regard to helping you succeed academically? (There’s some student and testing accommodations through the accessibility office but mostly your professors are a big resource, they want to help you succeed as long as you’re willing to ask for help)
> What is the curriculum structured like? Do the concurrent classes correspond well with each other? (WSU’s curriculum is set up so that first year you learn about the normal animal (small animal first semester, large animal second), then you learn about abnormal/pathologies in second year, third year is medicine/how do you fix it, fourth year is rotations. The classes do correspond well between each other. You get surgery prep starting first year first semester. You learn by self study primary not via assignments/homework. Lots of didactic/lecture based learning first and second and even 3rd year. recommended to being a tablet or laptop for note taking, everything including exams is digital)
> Are classes set up for you and your cohort well or do you have to make your own schedule and/or fight to get into popular classes? (At WSU the schedule is made for everyone all at once so you never have to fight for classes or schedules. You will have classes with your whole cohort. It’s non-tracked so everyone is expected to/has the opportunity to learn about all animal types and systems. You can choose to have a specific interest but it’s recommended to try to be well rounded especially helpful for NAVLE prep)
> do you have homework/assignments? (Nope, mostly exams)
> Do you have free time? (Most students i spoke to said they have more free time than they thought they would but you can also choose how you fill your free time. Advice was dont take all your time to study and don’t lose sight of what you enjoy outside of school)
> Do you ever really venture into the larger campus area or mostly stay around the vet school? (Most said they stayed around the vet school but definitely could venture into campus it’s just they didn’t have much reason to)
> Do you learn clinical communication skills? Like how to interact well with clients? Working through grief with people? (As WSU they have a class in 2nd or 3rd year? Where they work with trained actors who simulate grieving clients, angry clients, rushed clients etc in a simulated clinical environment which has a one way window so that professors in communication can give tips on how you interacted with the “client”. WSU has brought a lot more of this clinical communication aspect into their curriculum.)
> Scholarships/financial aid? Working opportunities? (I was told there’s a large scholarship pool/packet you can sign up for every year and most first and second years dont get a ton of aid money through that but by 3rd and 4th year they get a lot more. There’s also a ton of opportunities to work around the VTH and campus otherwise).
> you don’t have to purchase any of your own medical equipment except a stethoscope. The hospital provides scrubs and there’s very very cheap scrubs you can find in campus store (not sure where exactly but it exists).

> Are classes pass/fail or graded? (WSU is pass fail. you get grades back on individual exams but as long as you get over a 75 (I think?) in each class you pass and that helps keep competition down)
> Are classes set up for you and your cohort well or do you have to make your own schedule and/or fight to get into popular classes? (At WSU the schedule is made for everyone all at once so you never have to fight for classes or schedules. You will have classes with your whole cohort. It’s non-tracked so everyone is expected to/has the opportunity to learn about all animal types and systems. You can choose to have a specific interest but it’s recommended to try to be well rounded especially helpful for NAVLE prep)
> Do you learn clinical communication skills? Like how to interact well with clients? Working through grief with people? (As WSU they have a class in 2nd or 3rd year? Where they work with trained actors who simulate grieving clients, angry clients, rushed clients etc in a simulated clinical environment which has a one way window so that professors in communication can give tips on how you interacted with the “client”. WSU has brought a lot more of this clinical communication aspect into their curriculum.)
Adding to some of this information... The pass % varies by class for example small anatomy was 73% or higher to pass and physiology was 80%. Other classes have been somewhere in between that range for first year at least.

The only classes you have to pick yourself are electives (if you want to). So if you have a special interest in a species you can pick electives that fit that interest.

In second year you take a class centered around professional communication. You can look up "Diagnostic Challenge" at WSU to see what it is all about. Two different weeks in the semester you have no classes and are solely focused on your "case/patient" with a group of your classmates where you speak to a client, request diagnostics, and determine what the disease/condition is. I have heard from older classes that the "patients" have been your typical dogs/cats/horses but also reindeer and bees!

Reactions: 1 users
Just declined my OOS seat! I hope someone will get some good news very soon!

It was SO incredibly hard but I declined my seat last night OOS. Hope someone hears good news today 🥳

• Love
I got the call - just got pulled from the IS waitlist 🥳😍😭

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Got called off the IS waitlist today! I'm so excited to meet everyone this fall! :love:

Reactions: 3 users