WSU c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizardman

ISU CVM c/o 2028
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y’all, didn’t see a thread for Washington State yet! I’m a first time OOS applicant :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any information on interview prep?

Reactions: 1 user
Started this threat because I couldn't find any information about personal experiences at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. As I said I am more interested in the experience people had in their program and what it was like. Based on their experience with classes, faculty, curriculum, etc. (basically everything). Anyone who is in the program or has graduated from WSU please feel free to write your review. :)

Second time applicant, first time for WSU, OOS! Just submitted all my applications last night wahoo!

Started this threat because I couldn't find any information about personal experiences at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. As I said I am more interested in the experience people had in their program and what it was like. Based on their experience with classes, faculty, curriculum, etc. (basically everything). Anyone who is in the program or has graduated from WSU please feel free to write your review. :)
You can find my response in some old threads. I'm a 2022 grad. Everyone's experiences will vary. Some things have definitely changed since I left. That being said having been out in practice and interacting with some other grads I definitely feel I got a quality education and I'm glad I went there for school.

I’m currently a first year in the WIMU program at USU/WSU (2+2 program). So far it’s been wonderful. It’s a really small class size (32) so we get lots of time to ask questions and to get to know the professors better than I think you might with a larger class size. Feel free to DM if if you have any questions about the WIMU program at USU (technically I’m not at WSU yet so idk if I’m the person you are looking for info from)

First time OOS!!! nervous and excited! good luck everyone <333

I'm a fourth year at WSU. Experiences vary depending on your preferences and interests, but in general WSU has a good program to prepare you for the NAVLE. My only non-biased complaint is that we are losing incredible faculty/clinicians because they want (and deserve) more compensation than WSU can offer. The curriculum is what you would expect from a non-tracking program.

Any information on interview prep?
It could have changed in the past few years, but it's a small panel of vets/faculty that interview you. I believe it's an open file interview combined with some pre-determined questions. Just practice your interview skills and remember to be yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if interviews are in-person or remote? Thanks!

Does anyone know if interviews are in-person or remote? Thanks!
If they follow the past few years, only WIMU IS applicants will be interviewed and they will be in person barring any covid or other major disease outbreaks.

2021 they were remote
2022 they were planned to be in person and switched to remote when covid spiked around New Years.
2023 they were in person.

If they follow the past few years, only WIMU IS applicants will be interviewed and they will be in person barring any covid or other major disease outbreaks.

2021 they were remote
2022 they were planned to be in person and switched to remote when covid spiked around New Years.
2023 they were in person.
Thank you! So OOS applicants are not interviewed?

Thank you! So OOS applicants are not interviewed?
Yes. According to the changes, they started not interviewing OOS since 2020 or 2021 due to too many applicants. Not sure about this year, but I guess it would be the same as last year. You can check out on their websites.

4th time applicant (in-state). Really hoping this is my year!

WSU has a great timeline on their website. Click on the link below and scroll down to 2023-24 application timeline. Interview invites are usually sent out some time in November, but they've moved the interviews around the past few years, so I'm not sure if they're sticking to that timeline this year.

Apply to Our Program

first time oos WSU would be my #1 choice but I know the odds arent exactly in my favor

First time OOS applicant. WSU is in my top 2 schools, the suspense is torture!

first time oos WSU would be my #1 choice but I know the odds arent exactly in my favor
Odds aren't in your favor because you are OOS? Personally, my GPA isn't stellar but I have a lot of experience so I'm hoping that can swing an acceptance my way despite me being OOS. Fingers crossed!

Odds aren't in your favor because you are OOS? Personally, my GPA isn't stellar but I have a lot of experience so I'm hoping that can swing an acceptance my way despite me being OOS. Fingers crossed!
last year they admitted 24 nonresident students out of 123 total admitted applicants. When you look at stats of who applied nonresident there were 1588 total nonresident applications and they offered 56 of those students seats. Not the best odds but certainly also not the worst in terms of schools accepting oos applicants. Fingers crossed all around!

last year they admitted 24 nonresident students out of 123 total admitted applicants. When you look at stats of who applied nonresident there were 1588 total nonresident applications and they offered 56 of those students seats. Not the best odds but certainly also not the worst in terms of schools accepting oos applicants. Fingers crossed all around!
Those were the stats from a few years ago. our class had fewer OOS seats and more than 1600 applicants last year.

Last edited:
Those was the stats from a few years ago. our class had fewer OOS seats and more than 1600 applicants last year.
haha, great :nailbiting: further proving the odds not in out-of-state favor. thanks for that info, I was reading old stats and did not even realize!

Last year IS heard back about interviews on Nov. 4. Wondering if they’ll be sending interview invites out this Friday the 3rd or if it’ll take longer this year 😬

Last year IS heard back about interviews on Nov. 4. Wondering if they’ll be sending interview invites out this Friday the 3rd or if it’ll take longer this year 😬
I started stressing about it and checking my email obsessively yesterday. It should be any day now 😬😅

Just received a rejection email :cryi:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m so sorry 😞 Did you apply to any other schools this cycle?
No. I just started an MPH online, so I threw in an app this year since it was mostly done from the last time I applied. I live locally and if I had gotten in this year, I would have planned to finish the MPH concurrently with vet school.

Next year I am applying to a whole bunch of schools. It will be my 5th and final time applying as I will have an MPH under my belt and 8-9 years of experience in the veterinary field. If I don't get in next year, then I'm out of ways to improve my application and it will be time to move on with my life.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
are you in state? i am so sorry to hear. :(
Yes, in state. This is my first time applying as a Washington resident. My previous 3 applications were as an Idaho resident.

• Care
Are they sending in state and out of state rejections? I haven’t heard anything from the school since submitting

hi, i got my interview invite! if anyone is in WA, i would like to plan together and maybe do some practice interviews together thanks!

Are they sending in state and out of state rejections? I haven’t heard anything from the school since submitting
They are still going through the out of state applications. I can't remember when they send decisions, but it is probably on WSU's website. There are way too many OOS applications to have decisions done this early/

They are still going through the out of state applications. I can't remember when they send decisions, but it is probably on WSU's website. There are way too many OOS applications to have decisions done this early/
Last year OOS rejections were sent on January 6th so OOS people won't hear from them for a while at least

Last year OOS rejections were sent on January 6th so OOS people won't hear from them for a while at least
This is interesting because I received my OOS rejection on December 15th in 2021. Maybe they had significantly more apps to get through last year

Do we think they will prolong the oos decisions again this year? I know previous years were always December 15 but it was almost a month late last year January 9th I think. Their website still lists December as when they'll be sending them out this year....

Do we think they will prolong the oos decisions again this year? I know previous years were always December 15 but it was almost a month late last year January 9th I think. Their website still lists December as when they'll be sending them out this year....
I emailed them about it and this is what they said:
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 11.21.44 AM.png