This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible for an ortho trauma surgeon to also practice some critical care medicine (such as a general trauma surgeon)? Or is this non-existent?

I believe you or someone else mentioned that you can fellowship train in a couple of different subspecialties. I would be interested in trauma and sports med. Is this a possibility or not so much? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Fun fact. I saw the comment where you mentioned Reno, NV - my hometown!

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible for an ortho trauma surgeon to also practice some critical care medicine (such as a general trauma surgeon)? Or is this non-existent?

I believe you or someone else mentioned that you can fellowship train in a couple of different subspecialties. I would be interested in trauma and sports med. Is this a possibility or not so much? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Fun fact. I saw the comment where you mentioned Reno, NV - my hometown!

First question: no. Critical care is a separate residency and fellowship. However, in Europe there are some general surgeons who do ortho.

Second question: yes. Within Ortho, you certainly can do more than one fellowship, like sports and trauma. It makes you more marketable. Most of us still pick only one though, but the double-fellowship people are slowly increasing in number.

Reno is a great town for trauma, they have an excellent fellowship there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I performed searches on this thread to avoid repeating a topic - so, apologies if I do. I am trying to look for a orthopedic research opportunity (and eventually a mentor) that I can continue through summer after M1 and part of my second year. However, I am unable to receive a response from the attending (even after a second email). In my emails, I describe that I am interested in the field of orthopedic surgery and would like to explore further by performing research if there is an opportunity. I also attach my CV. Is there something wrong that I am doing? After much deliberation, I thought maybe I should have asked to shadow first and then asked to have done research - too late I guess? I was trying to find a research opportunity within my institution so that I could apply for the summer funding, but I am considering asking other physicians at other insitutions/hospitals. Would this be okay? Is there any ettiquete I should be following when contacting physicians outside of my home institution? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I performed searches on this thread to avoid repeating a topic - so, apologies if I do. I am trying to look for a orthopedic research opportunity (and eventually a mentor) that I can continue through summer after M1 and part of my second year. However, I am unable to receive a response from the attending (even after a second email). In my emails, I describe that I am interested in the field of orthopedic surgery and would like to explore further by performing research if there is an opportunity. I also attach my CV. Is there something wrong that I am doing? After much deliberation, I thought maybe I should have asked to shadow first and then asked to have done research - too late I guess? I was trying to find a research opportunity within my institution so that I could apply for the summer funding, but I am considering asking other physicians at other insitutions/hospitals. Would this be okay? Is there any ettiquete I should be following when contacting physicians outside of my home institution? Thank you for your help!

See if your school has an Ortho interest group and reach out to them/classes above you for advice. Or just reach out to other attendings, coordinators, people within the Ortho department at your school. Lastly, your school should have some type of research office so reach out to them as well. I wouldn't say shadowing beforehand was necessary, its normal for students to want to get involved with research.

Reactions: 2 users

Every attending has an admin secretary. Reach out to them and set up a meeting in person. Think about the type of research you want to do (even something generic like in what subspecialty, basic vs clinical, etc). Often people get busy and don't check/respond to email, so in person is your best bet. Shadowing isn't necessary beforehand, but encouraged if you want a mentor, as research is not the easiest way to get to know someone-- at least in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
What has been the most fun/exciting case for you so far? Or what are your most fun/exciting cases?

Is orthopedic oncology competitive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. But work is really hard to find because the big centers, sarcoma places etc, are saturated. They do ridiculously cool stuff though. :) I could never do it, it was too depressing.

Reactions: 1 users
What has been the most fun/exciting case for you so far? Or what are your most fun/exciting cases?

The fun cases are the ones where you don't need to think or worry too much, you can relax and banter...for me, it's retrograde femoral nails. They are so elegant and fun, a few small incisions where it used to be a huge whack or traction for 6 weeks. I suppose an exciting case is when something unexpected happens, but that's usually the kind of excitement you don't want. Like the last ilioinguinal approach I did, the patient had very poor tissues and the retractor tore the external iliac vein. Was a small tear, but we immediately went from a relatively okay case to a lake of blood in about 4 seconds. I remember looking at my partner (we always do these together because of complexity)...and then looking at anesthesia and saying, "call vascular, and get some blood from the blood bank. Expediently, please." I don't know how my voice was calm, I thought I was going to crap my pants. Vascular had to come and fix it. He made it but we couldn't finish the procedure cause the vein kept tearing. We had to stop and close. I may have mentioned before that I hate the pelvis and acetabulum. Long run for a short slide. Many of them get arthritis anyway and you can easily kill someone. I didn't do this specialty to kill people, honestly.

Reactions: 3 users
The fun cases are the ones where you don't need to think or worry too much, you can relax and banter...for me, it's retrograde femoral nails. They are so elegant and fun, a few small incisions where it used to be a huge whack or traction for 6 weeks. I suppose an exciting case is when something unexpected happens, but that's usually the kind of excitement you don't want. Like the last ilioinguinal approach I did, the patient had very poor tissues and the retractor tore the external iliac vein. Was a small tear, but we immediately went from a relatively okay case to a lake of blood in about 4 seconds. I remember looking at my partner (we always do these together because of complexity)...and then looking at anesthesia and saying, "call vascular, and get some blood from the blood bank. Expediently, please." I don't know how my voice was calm, I thought I was going to crap my pants. Vascular had to come and fix it. He made it but we couldn't finish the procedure cause the vein kept tearing. We had to stop and close. I may have mentioned before that I hate the pelvis and acetabulum. Long run for a short slide. Many of them get arthritis anyway and you can easily kill someone. I didn't do this specialty to kill people, honestly.

Yeah thats the reason people do spine, and then they can afford planes to kill themselves

@OrthoTraumaMD is it feasible to double-train in orthopedic oncology and trauma? I'm trying to decide between the two for my potential future and I really like the variety available in both. This way, I could do a bunch of awesome reconstruction/limb salvage.

also, I know a trauma ortho guy who did a trauma fellowship then a 6mo "fellowship (not ACGME) in joints.
is it possible to do other 6mo fellowships, potentially in trauma?

Members don't see this ad :)
@OrthoTraumaMD is it feasible to double-train in orthopedic oncology and trauma? I'm trying to decide between the two for my potential future and I really like the variety available in both. This way, I could do a bunch of awesome reconstruction/limb salvage.

also, I know a trauma ortho guy who did a trauma fellowship then a 6mo "fellowship (not ACGME) in joints.
is it possible to do other 6mo fellowships, potentially in trauma?

There are no officially accredited (as in OTA recognized) trauma fellowships that are less than one year. You can certainly do two fellowships, one in Onc and one in trauma, but it will be 2 years.

@OrthoTraumaMD thanks for this ama!

In your opinion, what makes medical students (specifically away rotators) really stand out and be memorable? I feel like a lot of students prepare for the cases, know basic anatomy, are friendly, work hard, etc but don't really stick out in the crowd.

@OrthoTraumaMD thanks for this ama!

In your opinion, what makes medical students (specifically away rotators) really stand out and be memorable? I feel like a lot of students prepare for the cases, know basic anatomy, are friendly, work hard, etc but don't really stick out in the crowd.

The ones who stand out are the who ask knowledgeable questions, think more deeply than on a basic level, meaning that they haven't just read about the case but acted as a resident would, planning it out etc. They are helpful when they need to be, and stay out of the way when they need to. They take initiative and may look things up on their own instead of always being told to do X Y or Z. They know the patients.
I would disagree with you on the "a lot of students prepare for the cases, know basic anatomy, are friendly, work hard." I rarely find a student who does all of these things. Usually they do one or two.

The ones that get me coffee ;)

Were you on that crazy thread about a medical student complaining about getting coffee for the attending? So ridiculous. Yes, it is not educational… But if the attending is paying… Why not? But if I asked a medical student to do that, I would definitely tell them to get something for themselves too.

Reactions: 4 users
Were you on that crazy thread about a medical student complaining about getting coffee for the attending? So ridiculous. Yes, it is not educational… But if the attending is paying… Why not? But if I asked a medical student to do that, I would definitely tell them to get something for themselves too.

Ha. I posted a couple times. It's very contentious in there. Over coffee.

@OrthoTraumaMD Sorry if you answered this but I didn't see it when I looked through!

Your schedule is obviously very variable as a trauma surgeon, but I always hear people some something along the lines of "Don't pick a specialty based on the lifestyle of the resident, when you're an attending you can join a practice/find a job that suits how much you want to work." I could see how this could be true for some specialties, but do you think this is the case for surgical specialties? Specifically ortho?

I was always interested in adult reconstructive but I also want to have enough time to spend with my kids! Of all the ortho surgeons I've shadowed (all academic) they all work like dogs. I didn't know if this was the nature of the field or if that was just their choice.

Thank you very much!

In a patient with a humeral shaft fracture, is it unreasonable for the patient to ask for total restoration of original length? I know some lifters complain about having reduced length (due to a previous fracture), which affects aesthetics.

@OrthoTraumaMD Sorry if you answered this but I didn't see it when I looked through!

Your schedule is obviously very variable as a trauma surgeon, but I always hear people some something along the lines of "Don't pick a specialty based on the lifestyle of the resident, when you're an attending you can join a practice/find a job that suits how much you want to work." I could see how this could be true for some specialties, but do you think this is the case for surgical specialties? Specifically ortho?

I was always interested in adult reconstructive but I also want to have enough time to spend with my kids! Of all the ortho surgeons I've shadowed (all academic) they all work like dogs. I didn't know if this was the nature of the field or if that was just their choice.

Thank you very much!

I think if you're willing to go anywhere in terms of location, eventually you will find a practice that suits you. It's interesting that you say the reconstructive surgeons work hard, because they have the most predictable schedule of all of us. It all depends on how much money you want to make. If you are in private practice, yes, you will be doing many joints a day, and it does become tough. But if you are academic, you really don't need to kill yourself. Not sure where you saw these surgeons, but it hasn't been my experience.

In a patient with a humeral shaft fracture, is it unreasonable for the patient to ask for total restoration of original length? I know some lifters complain about having reduced length (due to a previous fracture), which affects aesthetics.

We always aim to restore length in any long bone fracture. However in the humerus, if there is comminution, length is sacrificed for healing. It's just the way things are. In the setting of comminution, you cannot create bone that has been destroyed. You take what you get. So yes, it is unreasonable to ask for things that cannot be done. If they can be done, they will.

We always aim to restore length in any long bone fracture. However in the humerus, if there is comminution, length is sacrificed for healing. It's just the way things are. In the setting of comminution, you cannot create bone that has been destroyed. You take what you get. So yes, it is unreasonable to ask for things that cannot be done. If they can be done, they will.

I understand. I was wondering because I've frequently seen things like "no greater than 3 cm shortening is acceptable" in non-comminuted long bone fractures.

I think if you're willing to go anywhere in terms of location, eventually you will find a practice that suits you. It's interesting that you say the reconstructive surgeons work hard, because they have the most predictable schedule of all of us. It all depends on how much money you want to make. If you are in private practice, yes, you will be doing many joints a day, and it does become tough. But if you are academic, you really don't need to kill yourself. Not sure where you saw these surgeons, but it hasn't been my experience.

I apologize I wasn't more clear. The ortho surgeons I shadowed one was trauma and one was hand.

However, I am intrigued about the second part of your statement. Would you say, for joints or in general, PP would almost always work more/harder?

Thank you for the thread/insight

I apologize I wasn't more clear. The ortho surgeons I shadowed one was trauma and one was hand.

However, I am intrigued about the second part of your statement. Would you say, for joints or in general, PP would almost always work more/harder?

Thank you for the thread/insight

Private practice = eat what you kill. The more cases you do, the more money you make. So your incentive is to do as many cases as possible.

Awesome thread.

What would you say is the average starting salary for general orthopedic surgeons is big cities like NY, LA, etc? and how those who did a sports fellowship or a spine fellowship? how big of a difference in starting salary would you say?

and how about the difference in starting salary in PP vs. academics in these cities? Any idea?

Finally, what can you make realistically 5-7 years into practice assuming you're not working 24/7 and have some sense of a decent lifestyle for a orthopod.

Private practice = eat what you kill. The more cases you do, the more money you make. So your incentive is to do as many cases as possible.

I've pondered this before, is there no inventive to do more case in academics? Im not expecting a crazy money bonus but is there really nothing to drive an attending to take more cases other than reputation boosters?

1. Judging by the volume of patients you typically see in ortho do you believe there should be more worth F&A orthos? Im going into podiatry so I want to get a sense of the need for complex surgical procedures.
2. What about podiatry as a whole since I'm assuming you work with or near the surgical pods?
3. Is the "turf war" between pods and ortho FA as dramatic as some make it seem? When i shadowed the pods and orthos seemed very fond of each other but that was in a hospital clinic.

I've pondered this before, is there no inventive to do more case in academics? Im not expecting a crazy money bonus but is there really nothing to drive an attending to take more cases other than reputation boosters?

There is a monetary incentive if you're in private practice. In academics, it depends on what you want to achieve. Obviously, doing more cases will improve your reputation and get you more patients, but financially it will not help you as much, unless you have a clause in your contract where you get paid based on your RVUs.

1. Judging by the volume of patients you typically see in ortho do you believe there should be more worth F&A orthos? Im going into podiatry so I want to get a sense of the need for complex surgical procedures.
2. What about podiatry as a whole since I'm assuming you work with or near the surgical pods?
3. Is the "turf war" between pods and ortho FA as dramatic as some make it seem? When i shadowed the pods and orthos seemed very fond of each other but that was in a hospital clinic.

I answered this earlier in the thread. I work with some podiatrists, and they have their own scope of practice. Nowhere I have worked do podiatrists do complex foot and ankle surgery. They mostly deal with diabetic feet, wounds, etc. Fractures, etc, are left to the orthopaedic foot and ankle doctors. I'm not going to give my opinion on who I think should be doing the surgeries, because I obviously have a bias toward orthopaedics. I have also run into several cases in which podiatrists have really screwed up fracture surgery. So they are not allowed to do it anymore at my hospital.

Awesome thread.

What would you say is the average starting salary for general orthopedic surgeons is big cities like NY, LA, etc? and how those who did a sports fellowship or a spine fellowship? how big of a difference in starting salary would you say?

and how about the difference in starting salary in PP vs. academics in these cities? Any idea?

Finally, what can you make realistically 5-7 years into practice assuming you're not working 24/7 and have some sense of a decent lifestyle for a orthopod.

The Academy has listings for this. Fellowship trained surgeons typically make more, particularly in spine, but it's very dependent on private practice or hospital-based positions. Private practice starts out lower, around 350,000, but has the potential to make more in the end than salaried jobs, if you're willing to kill yourself in private practice. As for your other question, it is extremely dependent based on your practice model, how much you want to work, etc. etc. I've seen people making 450 K, and I've seen people making 5 million. It can stretch anywhere between that, and there are many contributing factors that make your question difficult to answer. The average salary for an orthopaedic surgeon is around 425,000-450,000. In the major cities it will be less, due to oversaturation.

@OrthoTraumaMD

A few questions for you and please just post if you have answered the questions already beforehand and I will search through the thread. Thanks.

1) I saw one of your post where you mentioned that the content of research was not as important. My thoughts and also my academic advisor's thoughts is that since Ortho is competitive you must do research in Ortho to match? I am interested in researching other things such as nutrition/herbalism which I would research with more passion over doing some chart review.

2) Do you ever get tired of operating or can you see yourself getting bored of operating down the line? If so, would you have chosen another field to be able to do that job well into your elder years?

3) Have your ever experienced the "flow state" during any of your surgeries? If so, which ones?

4) It is sad but my school also doesn't teach MSK well or any anatomy for that matter which is upsetting since I highly enjoy movement. Do you have any books in mind as a recommendation to teach me msk? I would definitely find books that state the function of each muscle intriguing (for ex infraspinatus being responsible for external rotation, etc).

5) I'm sure you have answered this question multiple times so I apologize. During residency how many hours did you sleep per night (I know this may depend on the rotation)? Along with this how often is one able to workout or do their other hobbies? T

Thanks and have a wonderful week =)

Last edited:
Is there a least strenuous subspecialty of orthopaedics? Like let's say someone wanted to operate into their eighties, which subspecialty would they pick? Or does that not exist?

Is there a least strenuous subspecialty of orthopaedics? Like let's say someone wanted to operate into their eighties, which subspecialty would they pick? Or does that not exist?
I'd bet hand surgery for least strenuous, especially since lots of surgeons elect to sit for these operations. However, since you're operating on such a small piece of real estate with small and delicate parts, I don't think that you could operate into your eighties.

Awesome thread.

I am near the end of my residency and about to start fellowship. Starting to look at jobs now. Looking specifically in the Midwest, non academic positions. I have been offered between 350K to 650K to start. Most offers hover around 450k-550k. 350K was a private practice in a large midwestern city. 650K was in a rural 40 bed hospital, 2 hours from a major metro area.

You'll have to work harder on the coasts. Buddies out in California being offered 200-250k to start private practice. Other Major employer is Kaiser, they pay around 400K to start but is highly competitive to get. This is second hand information though as I am looking in the Midwest.

Also, almost impossible to find a job as a generalist in any major metro area, including the Midwest. You'll do quite a bit of general in the beginning but they won't hire you unless you're fellowship trained. You may find some locums style position, but any reputable group or hospital will want fellowship trained.

@OrthoTraumaMD

A few questions for you and please just post if you have answered the questions already beforehand and I will search through the thread. Thanks.

Thanks and have a wonderful week =)

Answering below:

1) I saw one of your post where you mentioned that the content of research was not as important. My thoughts and also my academic advisor's thoughts is that since Ortho is competitive you must do research in Ortho to match? I am interested in researching other things such as nutrition/herbalism which I would research with more passion over doing some chart review.

Ortho research trumps everything else. Would strongly advise, particularly over non-surgical stuff like nutrition and herbalism.

2) Do you ever get tired of operating or can you see yourself getting bored of operating down the line? If so, would you have chosen another field to be able to do that job well into your elder years?

No, I could not see myself doing anything other than what I do now.

3) Have your ever experienced the "flow state" during any of your surgeries? If so, which ones?

I have no idea what that is.

4) It is sad but my school also doesn't teach MSK well or any anatomy for that matter which is upsetting since I highly enjoy movement. Do you have any books in mind as a recommendation to teach me msk? I would definitely find books that state the function of each muscle intriguing (for ex infraspinatus being responsible for external rotation, etc).

I answered this before. Netter’s atlas of Orthopaedic anatomy, Hoppenfeld’s physical examination of spine and extremities are two good ones.

5) I'm sure you have answered this question multiple times so I apologize. During residency how many hours did you sleep per night (I know this may depend on the rotation)? Along with this how often is one able to workout or do their other hobbies?

I did, and still do, sleep about 4-5 hours a night and catch up on weekends. I work out six days a week and have hobbies. In residency I worked out once or twice a week, and had most of my hobbies on the back burner.

If you’re no longer taking call, then either hand or foot and ankle. Or you can just stop operating and see only clinic patients when you get old, but what’s the fun in that?

I'd bet hand surgery for least strenuous, especially since lots of surgeons elect to sit for these operations. However, since you're operating on such a small piece of real estate with small and delicate parts, I don't think that you could operate into your eighties.

You absolutely can. I personally know someone who did. But you can set up your schedule however you want, as long as your partners/work situation allows you to.

Answering below:

I have no idea what that is.

It's basically when you're in the zone. You are in a state of deep focus. Your movements are instinctive and/or automatic. You perform at a high level. You may experience great pleasure or a rush.

Last edited:
It's basically when you're in the zone. You are in a state of deep focus. Your movements are instinctive and/or automatic. You perform at a high level. You may experience great pleasure or a rush.
Lol

There is a monetary incentive if you're in private practice. In academics, it depends on what you want to achieve. Obviously, doing more cases will improve your reputation and get you more patients, but financially it will not help you as much, unless you have a clause in your contract where you get paid based on your RVUs.

Thanks for the answer. Quick questions, what's the general feeling of research that covers two fields? Like research on vision changes during orbital bone fracture (only thing I could think of without being specific) where Optho is the point person for the research but the trauma aspect is important. Something like that where Ortho is a part of the project but it's done through a different department as the focus.

Thanks for the answer. Quick questions, what's the general feeling of research that covers two fields? Like research on vision changes during orbital bone fracture (only thing I could think of without being specific) where Optho is the point person for the research but the trauma aspect is important. Something like that where Ortho is a part of the project but it's done through a different department as the focus.

As long as you can talk about it coherently, that is fine.

Earlier in the thread you referred to sports med as voodoo, so I'm curious, what kinds of procedures are you referring to?

That’s pretty much every case.

That's funny, that's actually what I'm hoping for in my potential/future surgical career. That's what I loved about playing basketball as well; you've practiced something endlessly, and when it comes to performance time you can enter an awesome flow state where even when unexpected things happen, you adjust and keep rolling. Plus, your team is on the same "wavelength" as you.

The term was coined by positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, and is described as:
"Flow is an optimal psychological state that people experience when engaged in an activity that is both appropriately challenging to one’s skill level, often resulting in immersion and concentrated focus on a task. This can result in deep learning and high levels of personal and work satisfaction."

Earlier in the thread you referred to sports med as voodoo, so I'm curious, what kinds of procedures are you referring to?

Tongue in cheek comment, I have plenty of friends who are sports orthopods. However, the literature behind some of the rotator cuff and meniscal procedures is pretty suspect...going in to “clean up” some vaguely frayed meniscus, etc....that’s the kind of thing I’m referring to. Obviously not all sports cases are like that.

That's funny, that's actually what I'm hoping for in my potential/future surgical career. That's what I loved about playing basketball as well; you've practiced something endlessly, and when it comes to performance time you can enter an awesome flow state where even when unexpected things happen, you adjust and keep rolling. Plus, your team is on the same "wavelength" as you.

The term was coined by positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, and is described as:
"Flow is an optimal psychological state that people experience when engaged in an activity that is both appropriately challenging to one’s skill level, often resulting in immersion and concentrated focus on a task. This can result in deep learning and high levels of personal and work satisfaction."

Many of the easier cases are like this. More complex ones, however, are still anxiety-inducing and that’s ok. Fear is not a bad thing, as I mentioned before.

Status
Not open for further replies.