KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how many seats are left?

Members don't see this ad.

I called to day ant I got accepted!!!! I'm so excited, this has made the whole process soooo worth it. I'm not sure if I will definitely be going to KCUMB, I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools on the east coast, but I definitely love KCUMB!!!!!

Can anyone elaborate on the KCUMB admissions criteria? Specifically in regards to their cut offs for gpa and mcat scores. Also, what is the aacomas mcat average used for? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how many seats are left?
As of last week, they are a little over 50%.

Can anyone elaborate on the KCUMB admissions criteria? Specifically in regards to their cut offs for gpa and mcat scores. Also, what is the aacomas mcat average used for? Thanks!
I don't know about exact cut offs but I can tell you averages for class of 2012. GPA: ~3.6, Science GPA: ~3.6, MCAT: ~28. They look at everything, not just grades. But all the ECs in the world won't make up for grades much below the averages.

I called to day ant I got accepted!!!! I'm so excited, this has made the whole process soooo worth it. I'm not sure if I will definitely be going to KCUMB, I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools on the east coast, but I definitely love KCUMB!!!!!
Congratulations!

hello. so does anybody remember the two hotel choices that KCUMB gives you?? I can't remember them. (darn me for not writing them down)

please somebody let me know.

hello. so does anybody remember the two hotel choices that KCUMB gives you?? I can't remember them. (darn me for not writing them down)

please somebody let me know.

I donno, I personally stayed at a Comfort Inn in Overland Park, KS. It was cheaper to book that room via Expedia than it was to stay at any of the "recommended" hotels.

This is what they gave me (attached).

Attachments

• Hotel Info.doc
    25 KB · Views: 290
thank you thank you thank you!!!

did this thread not make it into the school-discussions sub-forum? You guys stick out like a sore thumb.

moving.

....oh wait..im not a mod. my words aren't magic like chocolate bear's :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
did this thread not make it into the school-discussions sub-forum? You guys stick out like a sore thumb.

moving.

....oh wait..im not a mod. my words aren't magic like chocolate bear's :(.

LOL

Actually it looks as though merging another thread into this one is what caused it to move out of the School-Specific Forum. Thanks for pointing it out. Moving. ;)

are there any statistics on how many people get interviewed. how many people get offered admissions? The out of state students? Student demographics?

When I interviewed last week the student panel told us about 87% of the people who interview get in. Supposedly KCUMB only gives interviews to the candidates they are really serious about and they just want to check to make sure your personality fits the school before they accept you. As far as I know, since it is a private school there isn't much favor given to IS vs OOS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that...

how long does it take to hear back from kcumb if you are accepted?

how long does it take to hear back from kcumb if you are accepted?

I interviewed on 1/21 and was told I would hear back by 2/9, but I called and they gave me my decision over the phone on 2/2, and I received my letter on 2/5.

Hey,

for anyone who has been accepted, my letter was dated 1/30/09 and it says "you soon will receive additional information and requirements for matriculation at our university." I've yet to receive any additional info...is this something they only send after they receive your acceptance/matriculation deposit??

Hey spicedmanna. I was wondering if you could give me some pros and cons about the school:help:. I am deciding between KCUMB and another school. The most important criteria is clinical education and rotations. Thanks in advance.

gracie,

those are my top concerns, ive been researching those on the schools, what is the other school and i may be able to inform you of what i know

gracie,

those are my top concerns, ive been researching those on the schools, what is the other school and i may be able to inform you of what i know

My other choice is LECOM. I know selection factors are very personal but here are my preferences. At this time for selection, I am not considering money, curriculum or anything related for first two years except maybe the standardized patients during that time. For the 3rd and 4th years I am looking to rotate in urban areas with a good size hospital. I know that you sometimes get to do a lot more hands on training in smaller centers but I prefer a bigger setting. Also I want to rotate in east and finally match into a residency program in east. So how easy would this be at both locations and does reputation count? If so which one has better recognition with program directors? Thanks for any help. I am really confused.:confused::confused:

if it is LECOM in Penn i think your best option is there, if it is LECOM in florida i think it is better at KCUMB....for your personal desires

if it is LECOM in Penn i think your best option is there, if it is LECOM in florida i think it is better at KCUMB....for your personal desires

It is LECOM Erie in PA. But what makes you think that's better. Any particular reason?

Also does any one else want to chime in.

When I interviewed last week the student panel told us about 87% of the people who interview get in. Supposedly KCUMB only gives interviews to the candidates they are really serious about and they just want to check to make sure your personality fits the school before they accept you. As far as I know, since it is a private school there isn't much favor given to IS vs OOS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that...

I hope that's true! I just got invited to interview next month.

For the 3rd and 4th years I am looking to rotate in urban areas with a good size hospital. I know that you sometimes get to do a lot more hands on training in smaller centers but I prefer a bigger setting. Also I want to rotate in east and finally match into a residency program in east.

I just saw you wanted a comment from me, sorry about that.

Well, take a look at the affiliated rotation sites for KCUMB. A good chunk of them are in the Midwest. If you check out the pdf files you'll see the number beds, ER visits, etc., for each site. There are some rotation sites in FL, NY, and PA, but probably won't be as numerous as I am imagining a school out in the East Coast might have, but I don't know what LECOM's list looks like, so I can't really comment on that.

I wouldn't go into KCUMB thinking that you'll get a particular 3rd year rotation site because it works by lottery. What that means is that there can be a limited number of spots per rotation site and if the interest exceeds the number of spots, it'll be by lottery. You could end up getting something other than your first choice.

Comments about 3rd year rotations are a mixed bag/variable and so is rotation site quality. There are larger hospitals, more urban ones, and also smaller ones and ones that are more rural. It is highly dependent on where you end up going. It's probably going to be like that anywhere that has a similar system of 3rd year rotations.

Also, keep in mind that while you have to choose a core rotation site from the list for your 3rd year rotations at KCUMB, your 4th year rotations are almost all electives (except for a few required ones), which you can do pretty much anywhere. If you want a residency out in the East Coast, then you can choose all of your 4th year electives to be in sites that you want to match into in that area. Just because you rotate out in MI during your 3rd year, doesn't mean you can't match for residency out in PA, and that you are stuck in MI. Having maximal flexibility during your 4th year to choose where you want to do your electives can be helpful for that.

So how easy would this be at both locations and does reputation count? If so which one has better recognition with program directors? Thanks for any help. I am really confused.:confused::confused:

Well, obviously KCUMB is older and has more alum out there, for what it's worth. I'd say that location of rotation sites might matter some. If a school has a whole bunch of rotation sites where you want to match for residency, then I guess it can be helpful. There's something to be said for local networking, access, etc., but you can make it work for you, whether you attend one school or the other, because of electives during 4th year.

Really, the match is more dependent on your individual factors than where you went to school, so keep that in mind. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful here. Good luck!

Last edited:
I just saw you wanted a comment from me, sorry about that.

Well, take a look at the affiliated rotation sites for KCUMB. A good chunk of them are in the Midwest. If you check out the pdf files you'll see the number beds, ER visits, etc., for each site. There are some rotation sites in FL, NY, and PA, but probably won't be as numerous as I am imagining a school out in the East Coast might have, but I don't know what LECOM's list looks like, so I can't really comment on that.

I wouldn't go into KCUMB thinking that you'll get a particular 3rd year rotation site because it works by lottery. What that means is that there can be a limited number of spots per rotation site and if the interest exceeds the number of spots, it'll be by lottery. You could end up getting something other than your first choice.

Comments about 3rd year rotations are a mixed bag/variable and so is rotation site quality. There are larger hospitals, more urban ones, and also smaller ones and ones that are more rural. It is highly dependent on where you end up going. It's probably going to be like that anywhere that has a similar system of 3rd year rotations.

Also, keep in mind that while you have to choose a core rotation site from the list for your 3rd year rotations at KCUMB, your 4th year rotations are almost all electives (except for a few required ones), which you can do pretty much anywhere. If you want a residency out in the East Coast, then you can choose all of your 4th year electives to be in sites that you want to match into in that area. Just because you rotate out in MI during your 3rd year, doesn't mean you can't match for residency out in PA, and that you are stuck in MI. Having maximal flexibility during your 4th year to choose where you want to do your electives can be helpful for that.

Well, obviously KCUMB is older and has more alum out there, for what it's worth. I'd say that location of rotation sites might matter some. If a school has a whole bunch of rotation sites where you want to match for residency, then I guess it can be helpful. There's something to be said for local networking, access, etc., but you can make it work for you, whether you attend one school or the other, because of electives during 4th year.

Really, the match is more dependent on your individual factors than where you went to school, so keep that in mind. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful here. Good luck!

Thanks a lot. That was very detailed and put a lot of things in perspective. I still have two more weeks before I have to make a final decision and hopefully I will have made it before that.

hey everyone,

Im interviewing soon and wanted to ask what the interview process is like, i dont have much time to read through the thread (trying to do school full time and part time job). But anyways, any comments are appreciated, thanks.

Couple questions,

Does anyone know how many seats are left?
Interview is one-on-one?
how long it takes to hear back?
Deposits?

Thanks everyone

hey everyone,

Im interviewing soon and wanted to ask what the interview process is like, i dont have much time to read through the thread (trying to do school full time and part time job). But anyways, any comments are appreciated, thanks.

Couple questions,

Interview is one-on-one?
Deposits?

Thanks everyone

Hey! Congrats on the interview!!!

I interviewed back in January, so I can't tell you exactly how many seats are left, although I believe there is a post from a couple weeks ago saying how many were left. Anyways, my interview was SUPER relaxed. The day starts with a presentation/talk about the school, followed by Q&A with a team of student ambassadors. The student ambassadors are what really impressed me about KCUMB, they are current MS1 and MS2's who volunteer their time to meet with students and talk about KCUMB. They all seemed really enthusiastic and seemed to honestly love the school. After the Q&A they take you on a tour of campus, then you have lunch, followed by your interview. My interview was with two faculty members. As far as notification I got nervous and called about 1.5 weeks later but had my letter by two weeks. The deposit schedule is on their ACOMAS information sheet and will vary depending on when you interview/receive an acceptance.

Good luck!!!

hey everyone,

Couple questions,

Interview is one-on-one?
Deposits?

Thanks everyone

Just wanted to let you know I thought this was the most laid back interview I went to. It is a two on one and is very conversational. I really enjoyed my day at KCUMB.

thanks for the help guys, im really excited to interview, it seems like a great school...

couple more questions, is it open file? what time does the interview end?

thanks for the help guys, im really excited to interview, it seems like a great school...

couple more questions, is it open file? what time does the interview end?

Yes it is open file. Interviews start at 1 and go till about 3. The exact time you go and when you get done depends how many other people there are, where you are on the list, and how chatty you are with your interviewer. If you planned on the campus shuttle coming to get you from the hotel, then they usually put you first on the list.

thanks im real excited about coming to Kansas City

Anybody started looking at housing yet? Was wondering if people were interested in roommates...

Yeeee haaaaaaaaw! KCUMB has offered me a slot:):):)

Yeeee haaaaaaaaw! KCUMB has offered me a slot:):):)

congrats....when did u interview? just trying to wonder how long it takes to hear back from them this time in the process...im interviewing soon

congrats....when did u interview? just trying to wonder how long it takes to hear back from them this time in the process...im interviewing soon

I interviewed on 2/9. The (two) interviewers stated that I would receive a decision from the committee by 2/27; the acceptance letter was in hand by 2/23.

Good luck in your upcoming interview. For what its worth, I found the interviewers to be warm and welcoming.

I just got an interview invite for the Bioethics program. Has anyone else heard back? Does anyone know if the interviews for the masters programs are similar to the med school interviews. I really don't have a clue on what kind of questions to expect for the Bioethics interview!

Are there any 3rd/4th year or recent graduates of KCUMB that feel like answering a few questions I have about the school (can be over PM)? I'd be appreciative.

Hi everyone,

I am really considering applying to the masters program for this school, but I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) What MCAT scores & GPA are typical for acceptance to the 1 year masters program?

2) By enrolling in this specific program, will I also be conditionally accepted to the medical school (if I meet any set requirements) without having to interview, etc.?

3) What courses will transfer over to medical school if I do the masters program?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I am really considering applying to the masters program for this school, but I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) What MCAT scores & GPA are typical for acceptance to the 1 year masters program?

2) By enrolling in this specific program, will I also be conditionally accepted to the medical school (if I meet any set requirements) without having to interview, etc.?

3) What courses will transfer over to medical school if I do the masters program?

Thanks!

The average GPA and MCAT can be found on their website. I think it said somewhere around 22 avg MCAT and 3.3 GPA. Are you thinking about applying for the Fall '09? The deadlines for the Masters programs have already passed for next fall but give them a call to see if they'll still consider you. I interview on the 24th for the Bioethics program and I'm pretty excited about it. It certainly beats blindly applying again next year.

The average GPA and MCAT can be found on their website. I think it said somewhere around 22 avg MCAT and 3.3 GPA. Are you thinking about applying for the Fall '09? The deadlines for the Masters programs have already passed for next fall but give them a call to see if they'll still consider you. I interview on the 24th for the Bioethics program and I'm pretty excited about it. It certainly beats blindly applying again next year.

I will most likely apply for Fall 2010. I haven't even taken the MCAT yet! I have all pre-requisite courses though. But thanks for the heads up! However, if you can just clarify...By applying to the 1 year master program, I will be conditionally accepted to the KCUMB medical school, right? And will any classes transfer over from the master program?

Yes if you maintain a 3.0 during your masters then you have a spot in the medical class. As far as transferring credits, I have no idea. That will give me something to ask while I'm there in a few weeks

Yes if you maintain a 3.0 during your masters then you have a spot in the medical class. As far as transferring credits, I have no idea. That will give me something to ask while I'm there in a few weeks

Thank you very much. You'll nail that interview, I know it!

Where did you get that little tidbit? I just don't remember seeing it on their website, so I was curious who you might have talked to.

Where did you get that little tidbit? I just don't remember seeing it on their website, so I was curious who you might have talked to.

I initially applied to the DO program and when they reviewed my file they sent me an email saying it might be a good idea to apply to their masters programs and in that email they said with successful completion of their masters then I would be offered a spot in the next DO class. I also talked to a former student who did the masters program and they confirmed this. So nothing official, just that email they sent me and talking with a former student.

I also have an interview on March 24th for the Masters in Bioethics. I really don’t have a clue how the interview will be formatted, or if I should just expect it to be similar to the medical school interviews. I am very excited for this opportunity, but can’t say I am ever very good at interviews. That was interesting that you got an email from the Osteopathic school to apply to their masters programs instead with a guaranteed seat. I am still under review in the Osteopathic School, but then saw this and applied to it so I don’t know if that meant I was taken out of the stack for that. I personally wouldn’t care either way as I really think the having some bioethics education under my belt when I start medical school will help me in the future. Do all the seats come with a guarantee as long as you get a 3.0 or higher you get a spot in next years class? I was under the impression only some of the spots had this option and I personally did not know how many seats there were. Best of luck Celtsfan and I will see you on the 24th…yeah!

Attn: Anyone coming to KCUMB with a family

There is a townhome complex about 10 minutes north of the river that is very family/student friendly. If you will be attending KCUMB in the fall, I can put you in touch woth some people graduating and selling. Rent is 400-500 a month. There are approximately 40-50 medical and dental student families living in the complex. PM me if you want more details.

Hey,
Does anyone know who to make the check out to if we are writing a check for the acceptance/matriculation fees?

thanks!

KCUMB

(I called and asked)