2009-2010 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don't apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if they actually took OOS id give it some love :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Our chances are as good there as in AZ. So I figure I'll add it.
true, but I have family and was a resident of AZ before, if that wasnt the case id never would apply there...though i want to catch up to you...so maybe ill add it :smuggrin:

Colorado sends out their secondaries pretty late every year, so I don't expect to hear from them for a while :rolleyes:

I'd be very happy to go there, though :)

Colorado sends out their secondaries pretty late every year, so I don't expect to hear from them for a while :rolleyes:

I'd be very happy to go there, though :)

Yeah, they said early August.

You and me both. Staying instate would be a huge savings, not to mention it's a great school.

Yeah, they said early August.

You and me both. Staying instate would be a huge savings, not to mention it's a great school.
any idea if you can get in state tuition after the 1st year or something? I really want to add this school :)

any idea if you can get in state tuition after the 1st year or something? I really want to add this school :)

Negative, man. Once you're OOS you'll be considered OOS for all four years.

They are hardcore about residency requirements as well. You should still apply though, you never know how it will pan out. Plus, what's one more school. ;)

CO looks really, really cool. What is their policy on accepting OOS applicants? I can't find it anywhere.

CO looks really, really cool. What is their policy on accepting OOS applicants? I can't find it anywhere.

They take very few, most of those they do take are WICHE and thus considered in-state anyway. OOSers pay huge amounts for tuition because CO already isn't known for funding its schools. I think CO graduates have the highest debts of any public school.

I think I remember at some point hearing they take 45 OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember at some point hearing they take 45 OOS

Class Composition

Class of 2012 – Entering Class Statistics:

* 3,500 students applied to Colorado for the 2008 entering class
* 700 applicants came from Colorado, [Montana and Wyoming – WICHE states], and 90% completed their applications
* About 60% of the Colorado, Montana and Wyoming pool were invited for interviews
* 2,815 non-Colorado students applied and 1,278 completed applications, and 268 were invited for interviews
* 1,132 interviews were completed, providing 2 – 30 minute interviews for each student. Interviewers have basic AMCAS information - personal statement, extracurricular activities, honors and awards and Colorado essays
* 270 students were made offers of acceptance
* 156 students in the entering class, with a GPA of 3.72 and MCAT mean of 32.5 Q
* Age range is 17-42, and the median age is 24.2 years
* 18% of students came directly from college
* 1 student had a PhD and 17 had master’s degrees
* 68 colleges and universities in the class, and 16 states and 1 country were members of the class

http://www.uchsc.edu/som/admissions/acceptance.htm#CC

Maybe they accepted 45 OOS students, but I can't imagine 45 of the 156 are OOS. Still, odds are pretty slim.

Our class size next year is 160 and I am almost 100% postive the person I heard say 45 were OOS is correct.

Do they screen for secondaries? oos?

Aww, that's kind of disheartening. Thanks for getting back to me and saving me a ton of money! Good luck with your applications.

30% OOS is pretty good compared to some of these other schools.

Just go HPSP and get it for free minus the one year for one year you owe the military

I wish they would just send this secondary already. its one of my last, but my most important and I just want to be able to work on it.

Don't worry it is only the beginning of the application year. A lot of people don't even know until winter or spring.

The whole game is a hurry up and wait policy

Screened secondary just arrived for DD :D Good luck to all of you

are these secondaries screened? just got my email today but i'm oos and it says the average oos scores are 32P ?

Don't even know if I should fill this one out, as an OOS applicant. Sent in a primary because I was uninformed about their exact numbers.. do I even have a chance??

Is it just the one prompt with no character limit?

What's the prompt?
People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don't apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.

Sorry, I had read CO screened, I guess I was wrong

DD = daughter, sorry that is a college confidential abbreviation

so should we try our best to answer part a and only do b if we can't do a? (I have a good essay for b so that is why i am asking...)

so should we try our best to answer part a and only do b if we can't do a? (I have a good essay for b so that is why i am asking...)

The pre-prompt indicates that they use this to get to know you as a person so I don't think it matters either way. If you feel that you can only answer b then do that. I bet some people will do a, b, or a and b together.

The pre-prompt indicates that they use this to get to know you as a person so I don't think it matters either way. If you feel that you can only answer b then do that. I bet some people will do a, b, or a and b together.

the way it is worded though sounds (to me anyway) that you should ONLY do B if you can't do A...did anyone else get this impression?

are there not very many people applying here? no one is on here talking...

the way it is worded though sounds (to me anyway) that you should ONLY do B if you can't do A...did anyone else get this impression?
It sounds like you should do B if you cannot do I, but in my opinion, answering B only, shouldn't be a problem since it still tells them about yourself. You should call them for clarification if needed.

are there not very many people applying here? no one is on here talking...

Just sent in my secondary this morning. Glad that they show MT applicants some love, because that $80K price tag would have been a deal-breaker.

Yeah I was really quite stupid for submitting a primary here. There is no way I could spend 80K a year on OOS tuition, and I don't think I could commit to 4 years of active service. :scared:

Yeah, I felt kind of dumb submitting here too. I guess I rationalized it to myself saying that I would pay 80k/year if it was the only place I got in. Wouldn't you?

Yeah, I felt kind of dumb submitting here too. I guess I rationalized it to myself saying that I would pay 80k/year if it was the only place I got in. Wouldn't you?

Yes, but if you got in at CO, there is no reason that you shouldn't get in anywhere else. :) Their stats (as they love to point out), especially for OOS, are quite high.

No character limit? What would others suggest? Not going over a page?

No character limit? What would others suggest? Not going over a page?

it says not to go over 2500 characters...in the part that says dont make this the same as your PS...

is this one you have to mail out? (I haven't submitted yet but i was wondering if i was going to have to make a trip to the post office...)

Status
Not open for further replies.