The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deep breath.

I just don't know if we're at that point yet. We just spent the better part of a year on this and heard the news yesterday.

keep the faith my friends I am rooting for you all

Members don't see this ad.

Sound advice, if a little too sobering, but too soon for phrases like misguided frustrations; failure to look rationally; and move on. Takes more than a day for many to get over such a jarring event.

"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."- S. O'Hara

Falco, you were a genius for applying OOS. Look how well you fared outside of TX!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Falco, you were a genius for applying OOS. Look how well you fared outside of TX!!

yes I was extremely fortunate...I applied very broadly 25+ schools...I was fortunate to find a couple of schools who liked me

oh yeah for ppl who were trying to register for June/July Mcat the site pretty much exploded so they took it down. Today it was only opened for only the southern states and it still crashed. I bet texas just needs its own day lol.

....its working now though i think... last time i checked.

thank GOD i didn't buy that 1 seat left in McAllen, TX this morning.

OH MY GOD!!! I was in the second graduating class from Plano West. I went to high school with Eternal Rage!! This is blowing my mind!!!

me too! me too! albeit I was one of the poorer, foreign ones, so might have been amongst the happening people.

Was that central time? (dumb question I know) my email said I got mine at 5:53 pm. I wonder if my account's time is not central time (since we're EXACTLY 2 hours apart), they sent out several batches of waitlist letters (also possible), or some other freaky thing. hmmmmmm:confused: (though I'm not as confused as the smiley looks... I really just need more of a curious smirk)

sorry i didn't get back to you sooner. yeah, that is pacific time i think (it's the Berkeley mail system) so I guess that explains the 2 hour time difference.

do you texans take your tuition for granted!

You know, expecting the med schools to SPARINGLY choose amongst great applicants is akin to asking a 6-year-old to eat only ONE M&M of an entire 1-lb bag...they're gonna gobble up as many as they can, as long as there's no consequence (for them, anyway).

Exactly. Taking the "pre-match is only for a select group" argument at face value for a moment, all it probably took was one school going somewhat crazy with pre-match offers to spur the others into following suit. One school got worried about having a mineshaft gap, and then everything went all nuclear. :D

(Sorry, couldn't deny the Dr. Strangelove reference.)

In a way, HOLDENc was right earlier, but maybe his wording made him seem just a little insensitive. I mean, how are we supposed to just 'snap out of' our feelings just hours after such an enormous letdown? It's gonna take time...a little for some, a lot for others. I'm starting to feel a little better, but I think it's because--probably like many of you--I've been through SOOOOO much stuff in my life (in spite of my immaturity, I'm older than most of you, btw).

Yes, it's true--we have all been complaining a lot (myself WAY included), and yes, I'm getting tired of hearing my own whining. I just want to feel better now, as I'm sure all of you guys do too.

I know from experience that joy follows gratitude (in other words: when you get grateful, you get joyful). Notice I didn't say that you get "happy." Happy and sad are temporary states of emotion, and our emotions (understandably) change with our circumstances. Joy, on the other hand, is a state of BEING. If you are a joyful person, you will always be joyful, no matter the circumstances. Again, joy follows gratitude. (Yes, I have been watching too much Oprah, but bear with me here.)

Now, I know that we don't feel like we have a lot to be grateful for right now. I mean, it is a HUGE disappointment to those of us who didn't match--perhaps the biggest "failure" in many of our lives (not mine, 'cause again, I'm really old :)). Still, I would bet that--despite the (non)match results--we all could come up with dozens and dozens of reasons why we should be grateful today.

I, for one (as cheesy as this might sound) am grateful for the fact that I was born in a country that allowed me to learn how to read, much less apply to med school (Hello, Afghanistan and a bunch of other countries!). I even get to live in the great Republic of Texas!...Bonus!! :D I also have my health (well, I do have a sprained foot, but it's not gonna kill me), food (even candy!, and canned goods that I know I'll never get hungry enough to need to open), clothes (yay for new running shoes!), shelter (well, a crappy lil' apartment, but hey, I'm warm), GOD (and the knowledge that He really loves me no matter how much of a jerk I am sometimes), my family (they're far away, but they love me enough to tolerate me and stick by me), friends (yes, both real-life and virtual ones:love: ), TV (especially South Park, which actually made me laugh out loud just hours after the disappointing match...now that's a true test of funniness!), a car (dented Toyota, but it gets me there), books (more than I could ever read...not that I have so many, but that I'm just so lazy lol), CDs (and tons of other music on my PC that I downloaded off Kazaa until the record companies started threatening to sue...shhhhhhh!), and a million other things, one of which is.........the hope of getting on and OFF a waitlist before August!! :)

Stay grateful and hopeful guys! Everything will work itself out sooner or later!!

too soon for phrases like misguided frustrations; failure to look rationally; and move on. Takes more than a day for many to get over such a jarring event.

Alright guys...you have till March.

And as the ever-so-wise Walter Sobchak once said: You have got to buck up man! You can not drag this negative energy into the tournament.

walter.jpg

In a way, HOLDENc was right earlier, but maybe his wording made him seem just a little insensitive. I mean, how are we supposed to just 'snap out of' our feelings just hours after such an enormous letdown? It's gonna take time...a little for some, a lot for others. I'm starting to feel a little better, but I think it's because--probably like many of you--I've been through SOOOOO much stuff in my life (in spite of my immaturity, I'm older than most of you, btw).

Yes, it's true--we have all been complaining a lot (myself WAY included), and yes, I'm getting tired of hearing my own whining. I just want to feel better now, as I'm sure all of you guys do too.

I know from experience that joy follows gratitude (in other words: when you get grateful, you get joyful). Notice I didn't say that you get "happy." Happy and sad are temporary states of emotion, and our emotions (understandably) change with our circumstances. Joy, on the other hand, is a state of BEING. If you are a joyful person, you will always be joyful, no matter the circumstances. Again, joy follows gratitude. (Yes, I have been watching too much Oprah, but bear with me here.)

Now, I know that we don't feel like we have a lot to be grateful for right now. I mean, it is a HUGE disappointment to those of us who didn't match--perhaps the biggest "failure" in many of our lives (not mine, 'cause again, I'm really old :)). Still, I would bet that--despite the (non)match results--we all could come up with dozens and dozens of reasons why we should be grateful today.

I, for one (as cheesy as this might sound) am grateful for the fact that I was born in a country that allowed me to learn how to read, much less apply to med school (Hello, Afghanistan and a bunch of other countries!). I even get to live in the great Republic of Texas!...Bonus!! :D I also have my health (well, I do have a sprained foot, but it's not gonna kill me), food (even candy!, and canned goods that I know I'll never get hungry enough to need to open), clothes (yay for new running shoes!), shelter (well, a crappy lil' apartment, but hey, I'm warm), GOD (and the knowledge that He really loves me no matter how much of a jerk I am sometimes), my family (they're far away, but they love me enough to tolerate me and stick by me), friends (yes, both real-life and virtual ones:love: ), TV (especially South Park, which actually made me laugh out loud just hours after the disappointing match...now that's a true test of funniness!), a car (dented Toyota, but it gets me there), books (more than I could ever read...not that I have so many, but that I'm just so lazy lol), CDs (and tons of other music on my PC that I downloaded off Kazaa until the record companies started threatening to sue...shhhhhhh!), and a million other things, one of which is.........the hope of getting on and OFF a waitlist before August!! :)

Stay grateful and hopeful guys! Everything will work itself out sooner or later!!

I hate canned foods, too. Gross. The only thing I eat once in a while from a can is tuna...sometimes.

I love cooking, it's relaxing, and much, much healthier.

I hate canned foods, too. Gross. The only thing I eat once in a while from a can is tuna...sometimes.

I love cooking, it's relaxing, and much, much healthier.

LOL You can incorporate canned foods into the stuff you cook. I cook a lot with canned tomatoes--especially the ones that contain Italian and Mexican spices. Canned olives are good too. ...and canned pineapple ...and sardines ...and soup. But not much else. I have had a can of beets in my cabinet for about 6 years (I've moved twice with the fkers!) :laugh: Hahaha

Edit: No, I think it's been 3 times!! LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL You can incorporate canned foods into the stuff you cook. I cook a lot with canned tomatoes--especially the ones that contain Italian and Mexican spices. Canned olives are good too. ...and canned pineapple ...and sardines ...and soup. But not much else. I have had a can of beets in my cabinet for about 6 years (I've moved twice with the fkers!) :laugh: Hahaha

I swear I've tried for convenience's sake. I tried canned potatoes and canned tomatoes and canned whatnot, and I'm just not used to them.

My amazing mother :)) ) always cooked fresh for us (she still goes to the market everyday), I never, ever remember eating anything frozen or canned while growing up. Maybe that's why I find it so unnatural.

I still do like my mom and try to cook as fresh as I can. Cooking for only 1 person doesn't really take that long, and I get to take a break from studying. :D

PS: I would throw away those beets if I were you. For all you know there's a jungle growing in there. :eek:

I'm kind of lazy about cooking complicated recipes, so I tend to eat A LOT of eggs...well, actually, I eat just the whites, b/c I'm kind of a health nut (except for the occasional craving for massive volumes of chocolate)! :D

Have you been less hungry since the match, or hungrier than usual? (Some people eat when stressed, but others become anorexic.) Then again, you matched, so it probably didn't affect you as much.

It would be interesting to learn how the (non)match affected people's normal habits, such as sleeping and eating. I know that one girl mentioned that she had been eating like crazy, and a few people said that they had suffered from nightmares. I've just been wanting to stay in the house and play on SDN all day. :p

Does anybody love the Cheez-it commercial where the girl is explaining how they make a Cheez-it as much as I do? And then at the end she breaks her plastic drinking cup as she goes "Cheezit, cheezit" and has that interesting look on her face.

Anyone? Anyone at all? It's classic.

Oh, and to add some relevance... DOWN WITH TMDSAS

I'm kind of lazy about cooking complicated recipes, so I tend to eat A LOT of eggs...well, actually, I eat just the whites, b/c I'm kind of a health nut (except for the occasional craving for massive volumes of chocolate)! :D

Have you been less hungry since the match, or hungrier than usual? (Some people eat when stressed, but others become anorexic.) Then again, you matched, so it probably didn't affect you as much.

It would be interesting to learn how the (non)match affected people's normal habits, such as sleeping and eating. I know that one girl mentioned that she had been eating like crazy, and a few people said that they had suffered from nightmares. I've just been wanting to stay in the house and play on SDN all day. :p

Mmmm...chocolate. I tend to crave it a lot, too. It's the one candy I like (I really don't crave sweets that much, chocolate being the exception).

To answer your question, I had pre-match acceptances so I wasn't hanging on the match. Therefore my eating habits did not suffer much. However, around finals my eating habits always go haywire because I am trying to study too much and keep up with my routine, which is kind of hard. I end up drinking more coffee than I should and feeling not so good at the end of it. :(

No, Pitu, I am actually half Cuban.

Yeah, nene is not an exclusive Argentinian/Uruguayan term. I'm saying that because I am of Mexican heritage and it's a term we use for children. :)

Yeah, nene is not an exclusive Argentinian/Uruguayan term. I'm saying that because I am of Mexican heritage and it's a term we use for children. :)

I realize that. I speak Argentinian Spanish, and it's just that I hear "nene" MUCH more from Arg. and Urug. ppl than Mexican, that's all. It's not only the word for a male child, but also the most common term of endearment for a male (like calling your bf "honey" or "sweetie")...usually a South American thing, that's all.

I have lived in different parts of Mexico too (and around Mexicans in TX for an additional 10 yrs), and I don't recall hearing it used in this way.

Edit: CONGRATS on your acceptances!! (Just read that post!) :)

BTW, Baylormed, I was on the other thread about URMs and med schools in Mexico. I TOTALLY agreed with your post!...but I didn't want to jump in and argue with those ppl and get all pi%%ed off at them....waste of time after I realized that they weren't going to listen to reason. :rolleyes:

Here it is:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=73214

Anyone go to school in the Katy area outside of Houston?

I know in Cuba, they use it as a nickname for girls. My mom and abuelos have been calling me that for as long as I remember just because I am the baby girl of my family.

deep breath.

I just don't know if we're at that point yet. We just spent the better part of a year on this and heard the news yesterday.

Completely agreed.

nope but i'm from the woodlands

i'm from Katy...
(although i went to stratford high school)
i wonder if there's ne SDN members from Stratford high school hehe
spartans baby!! hehe:love:

OK, after reading all these posts, I have a seriously massive complaint to make, I really need to get this off my chest because I think it is a total slap in the face to all of us and they really need to rethink things like this because it just left me feeling bitter and shocked. Here goes:

What the hell is this?

Jedi.jpg

Apparently in the DVD version of Return of the Jedi, that emo Hayden is shoved into that Ewok orgy at the end. Why did they decide to pollute the genius of the original trilogy with that no talent ass clown?? I've read some theories on continuity issues with Vader supposed to be 47 but is portrayed by an 80 year old Sebastian Shaw in the original. But really WTF??

From where I stand, the match this year only compared students who interviewed well before Nov. 15; those who interviewed after were interviewing for non-existant spots; however, were under the impression that those spots were still there as they were in the past years.
THis is the only real thing I'm frustrated with at the moment. If schools decided to hand out all pre matches, that's their prerogative, nothing really said they couldn't. But to say that there'd be some left for the match was a blah.

Texas is still my cowgirl. Can't buck her off just cuz she digs in the spurs from time to time, let the ol girl ride into the sunset I say. I still stand by my statement I made somewhere in the Official Texas Thread II, I'd castrate myself for UTSW.

OH MY GOD!!! I was in the second graduating class from Plano West. I went to high school with Eternal Rage!! This is blowing my mind!!!

Wow we're rock stars

although i think i would have remembered going to high school with a victorias secret model

THis is the only real thing I'm frustrated with at the moment. If schools decided to hand out all pre matches, that's their prerogative, nothing really said they couldn't. But to say that there'd be some left for the match was a blah.

Texas is still my cowgirl. Can't buck her off just cuz she digs in the spurs from time to time, let the ol girl ride into the sunset I say. I still stand by my statement I made somewhere in the Official Texas Thread II, I'd castrate myself for UTSW.

send 'em your d!ck in a box
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA[/YOUTUBE]

send 'em your d!ck in a box
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA[/YOUTUBE]

Hah you were just waiting for any post to reply to with that video

I have the mp3s for d!ck in a box and i listen to it as if it were a real song. beats timberlakes current whiny mess that gets overplayed on the radio

Hah you were just waiting for any post to reply to with that video

I have the mp3s for d!ck in a box and i listen to it as if it were a real song. beats timberlakes current whiny mess that gets overplayed on the radio

ha, FDH waits for no one. you mentioned castration, it made sense that you'd have to mail it...2+2 = root 16.

ya know?

Yea but d1ck in a box requires your appendage to still be attached to your own body...

omg FDH, quick run to your gf's and get that valentines day gift on ice. we still might have a chance to reattach... VanNostran I'm going to need a stapler and some double sided tape STAT

Yea but d1ck in a box requires your appendage to still be attached to your own body...

omg FDH, quick run to your gf's and get that valentines day gift on ice. we still might have a chance to reattach... VanNostran I'm going to need a stapler and some double sided tape STAT

you were an engineer right? everything's fixed with duct tape

and my EX-gf would probably want it to remain unattached :scared:

Well, I found this little nugget on UTMB's website. It's a faculty meeting from the 13th. Among other things, the Dean of Admissions explains how UTMB approached the new admissions process, gives stats on the current projected roster (30/3.78), and says there's going to be a meeting in March in Austin to discuss process and that UTMB intends to argue for converting to a full rolling admissions process. Also, they only got 15 students from the match, and she pretty much said they used it as an opportunity to extend offers to students they interviewed after Nov. 15 (which explains my acceptance). Anyway, the relevant part of the video is minutes 19-27.

http://www.som.utmb.edu/FOM2-13-07.ram

If that doesn't work, try http://www.som.utmb.edu/Announcements-Home.htm#Curriculum, and click on "Web rebroadcast of 02/13/07" under Faculty.

They also said they had 8 alumni/faculty admissions. Is that the same as legacy admissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.