The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah...they locked the door between the LRC and Hermann hospital! Now I can't take the fast route to get my snack on...nor can I get to my secret bathroom, I have to use the high-traffic ones :-/

secret bathroom..

do the stalls lead to the enchanted land of narnia

personally id get freaked out if i was on the pot and a centuar poked his head up my butt

God forbid a unicorn

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of which, my deferral was granted (in lightning-fast fashion) by UTSW. So I am officially in the class of 2012, and that means my spot is going to one of you guys (fingers crossed.) Sorry to poach one of your spots, class of 2012.

we'll be praying for your father-in-law
i remember frantically googling about prostate cancer when my loved one (can't be too specific b/c of personal reasons) first diagnosed w/ soft tissue sarcoma. it spread to both lungs and his spine, so it was devastating. it's tough, and caregivers go through much, let alone the patient him/herself.
but be strong and anything's possible! he's pulling through too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
btw
what would i do w/o SDN...
:love:
love you guys hehe

not sure if i erected the flag yet, but seems a good time as any in part 4

texas_flag.JPG

Speaking of which, my deferral was granted (in lightning-fast fashion) by UTSW. So I am officially in the class of 2012, and that means my spot is going to one of you guys (fingers crossed.) Sorry to poach one of your spots, class of 2012.

Jota,
I am glad that you were able to get the deferral. I hope this is a sign that things will work out for the best. Good luck, and please keep us informed of how you are doing!

secret bathroom..

do the stalls lead to the enchanted land of narnia

personally id get freaked out if i was on the pot and a centuar poked his head up my butt

God forbid a unicorn

all information concerning the secret bathroom is classified. i'm sorry.

jota jota, best wishes to you and your family.

wow, that really is noble of you to be there for your family like that--you definitely have your priorities straight. Hope everything works out for the better.

Jota I send you and your family my best wishes. I am glad you were able to defer so you can be with your family during this time

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know what alumni/faculty admissions is?

I do think this is the same thing as legacy admissions. In fact, know one of them. His/her daddy spoke on interview day, and sure enough, s/he got in 11/15 with a very not stellar MCAT (we're talking <26). To do this person justice, I think they just bombed the test, and in actuality s/he is pretty brilliant.

I do think this is the same thing as legacy admissions. In fact, know one of them. His/her daddy spoke on interview day, and sure enough, s/he got in 11/15 with a very not stellar MCAT (we're talking <26). To do this person justice, I think they just bombed the test, and in actuality s/he is pretty brilliant.

Lovely :mad: Maybe I'll apply to UNM next year (my mom went there). :laugh:

anyone else get a rejection letter from UTSW?

Lovely :mad: Maybe I'll apply to UNM next year (my mom went there). :laugh:

That's what I thought it probably was. But you know, it's not a sure thing apparently. I have a relative on the faculty and adcom of a Tx school and I didn't get interviewed there even though my stats are above avg for them. Ha! It's a good thing we don't have family reunions...that would have been awkward.

That's what I thought it probably was. But you know, it's not a sure thing apparently. I have a relative on the faculty and adcom of a Tx school and I didn't get interviewed there even though my stats are above avg for them. Ha! It's a good thing we don't have family reunions...that would have been awkward.

My understanding of it was that it had to be part of your immediate family (siblings/parents) to carry a lot of weight.

what date do amcas applicants have to release and close their options down to one school? I've been trying to look for that date on their site all morning...

what date do amcas applicants have to release and close their options down to one school? I've been trying to look for that date on their site all morning...

I believe it is May 15.

I posted this in the Baylor class thread already, but more people will probably see it here. My advisor told me last week that Baylor still has about 1/3 of their class to fill, so there's still hope for those of us waiting to here from them! :thumbup:

I posted this in the Baylor class thread already, but more people will probably see it here. My advisor told me last week that Baylor still has about 1/3 of their class to fill, so there's still hope for those of us waiting to here[sic] from them!

This has been posted on the Texas thread before. To clarify...1/3 of Baylor's class = 56 slots. 1/4 of those go to OOS kids so they will have no bearing on TMDSAS slots. The remaining 3/4 = 42 slots. This represents 42 net slots at TMDSAS schools that will open up due to Baylor (This is assuming the Baylor offer is to a person holding a (pre)match offer at a Texas school which is a highly likely scenario).

42 slots may sound like a significant number but don't forget, FOUR times as many offers were made on Match Day and we all know how that turned out. 42 slots represents about 1% of the total applicant pool (>4000).

The biggest impact Baylor will have IMO is it will open slots at schools that did not "participate" in the match: UTSW, UTH, TAMU, and to a lesser extent UTMB and UTSA.

The 42 will open up at random times from now until the first day of classes. Many of the slots that will free up due to students leaving for OOS schools will not open up until the summer. I think most of the WL movement will occur over the summer. Should be interesting to follow.

If you applied late in the cycle last year and you have good numbers I would apply again on JUNE FIRST. I would pick up another clinically-related volunteer activity now and head abroad on a service trip (the more exotic the country the better) before June.

If you applied early, have less than 3 interviews and didn't get in I wouldn't just apply again. You have to boost your application somehow. Don't forget most everyone who didn't get in this cycle will be reapplying the next cycle so it wouldn't be crazy to think application numbers will exceed 4,500-5,000 students next cycle. It is going to be that much harder. You have to separate yourself. Retake the MCAT, take a post-bac, enroll in a Special Masters Program, etc. Have a number of ppl take a look at your personal statement as well.

If you applied early, have three or more interviews and didn't get in you have to work on your interviewing skills. AND you need to work on them with someone who will give it to you straight. You do NOT need advice from those ppl who have coddled you and praised you your entire life. Those are nice friends/family to have but they are NOT going to help you grow as a person. The interview is obviously your problem and you aren't going anywhere until you get it solved. Find a Cosmo Kramer out there that doesn't mind telling you exactly what they think and become a better interviewer.

This has been posted on the Texas thread before. To clarify...1/3 of Baylor's class = 56 slots. 1/4 of those go to OOS kids so they will have no bearing on TMDSAS slots. The remaining 3/4 = 42 slots. This represents 42 net slots at TMDSAS schools that will open up due to Baylor (This is assuming the Baylor offer is to a person holding a (pre)match offer at a Texas school which is a highly likely scenario).

42 slots may sound like a significant number but don't forget, FOUR times as many offers were made on Match Day and we all know how that turned out. 42 slots represents about 1% of the total applicant pool (>4000).

The biggest impact Baylor will have IMO is it will open slots at schools that did not "participate" in the match: UTSW, UTH, TAMU, and to a lesser extent UTMB and UTSA.

The 42 will open up at random times from now until the first day of classes. Many of the slots that will free up due to students leaving for OOS schools will not open up until the summer. I think most of the WL movement will occur over the summer. Should be interesting to follow.

If you applied late in the cycle last year and you have good numbers I would apply again on JUNE FIRST. I would pick up another clinically-related volunteer activity now and head abroad on a service trip (the more exotic the country the better) before June.

If you applied early, have less than 3 interviews and didn't get in I wouldn't just apply again. You have to boost your application somehow. Don't forget most everyone who didn't get in this cycle will be reapplying the next cycle so it wouldn't be crazy to think application numbers will exceed 4,500-5,000 students next cycle. It is going to be that much harder. You have to separate yourself. Retake the MCAT, take a post-bac, enroll in a Special Masters Program, etc. Have a number of ppl take a look at your personal statement as well.

If you applied early, have three or more interviews and didn't get in you have to work on your interviewing skills. AND you need to work on them with someone who will give it to you straight. You do NOT need advice from those ppl who have coddled you and praised you your entire life. Those are nice friends/family to have but they are NOT going to help you grow as a person. The interview is obviously your problem and you aren't going anywhere until you get it solved. Find a Cosmo Kramer out there that doesn't mind telling you exactly what they think and become a better interviewer.

Your calculations are off. Baylor admits roughly 50% (more like 47%, but I'll round up to make it easier) of the students it interviews. So that means Baylor will offer ~350 acceptances to students, assuming that they gave approximately 700 interviews. If they still have 1/3 of their acceptances to offer, then they still have around 117 offers to make. In addition to that, there will be waitlist movement.

I just got back from my Baylor interview and haven't checked SDN for a long time. Did you guys already discuss the UTSW waitlist email that they sent? I can't believe they didn't participarte in the match! Does that mean there will be a lot of waitlist movement or no hope?? How about other schools? Any news? What does UTSW mean that the waitlist is unranked??? How can it possibly be unranked?

In addition to that, I've been seriously and deeply reflecting about my life and I would like some input from you guys. In considering what I'm going to do next year, should i:
A) retake the pre-req courses that I have AP credits for (like most of them except o chem) and boost my GPA
B) get an extra major (e.g.: Spanish, which should be easy since i have a minor) and boost my GPA
C) graduate and work in research
D) graduate and volunteer abroad

Sorry for the long post!

Wow, what the hec happened to the TMDSAS match? I graduated from a Texas med school last year and when I applied in 2001-2002, it was a closed match representing all Texas schools save Baylor. I have to admit though that Texas is highly overrated across the board. I lived there for 18 years, keft for 4 for active military service, and stayed for med school and college. My whole family is there but I still never intend to go back. I find the Texas mentality to be quite a turn-off and it's been nice being gone now for residency. I realized in my 4 years outside Texas as a military person that the rest of the country looks at Texas as a place that is somewhat arrogant and deservingly so. I was raised to believe that Texas was almost it's own country and anytime I discussed leaving, everyone in my family and circle of friends always acted amazed that I could leave the "republic". There are incredible people, and many incredible places outside the lonestar state, and I have very much appreciated getting to meet all these "outsiders" if for no other reason than to see that there are awesome things outside Texas. Sure, the cost of living is great, but you have to deal with so many conservative, closed-minded "W" toting types that it makes life miserable at times.

I am currently in Iowa and have enjoyed my intern year more than any year I ever spent in Texas. I have found less "state pride" outside Texas and it has been a very comforting realization. Trust me, you will get just as fine a medical education and residency outside the state, and you will not have any career implications from not training in Texas. In fact, I often find myself having to overcome the typical "Texas stereotype" and having to proove that I am not closed-minded, don't drive a big truck, didn't worship at the Bush alter, and could appreciate non Texas life. Last night I took my wife and kids to eat at a local Iowa Mexican eatery and actually got incredible food. Don't be afraid to leave the "Texas nest" because if you do, you will be enriched to see the true cultural diversity that this country offers outside the lonestar state.

And there are state with just as great malpractice laws and cost of living, with 4 actual seasons instead of the dreaded Texas scorching heat. I am grateful to have been raised in Texas but I geven happier to be gone.

Your calculations are off. Baylor admits roughly 50% (more like 47%, but I'll round up to make it easier) of the students it interviews. So that means Baylor will offer ~350 acceptances to students, assuming that they gave approximately 700 interviews. If they still have 1/3 of their acceptances to offer, then they still have around 117 offers to make. In addition to that, there will be waitlist movement.

I think your jump to conclusions map is off.

FYI from Baylor's website http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/ they offered 631 interviews (which you conveniently rounded up to 700!) for the '06 entering class.

You mistakenly assume that Baylor's need to send out more than 42 offers to fill 42 slots will affect the NET number of slots opened up at TMDSAS schools.

Lets look at the scenarios of students not accepting a Baylor offer and how that affects NET slots opened up at TMDSAS schools...

If a TX resident doesn't accept their Baylor offer and instead chooses to stick with their TX school (say UTH) nothing has opened up for anyone. No NET change.

Lets say a person doesn't accept their Baylor offer (and they are holding a TMDSAS school acceptance) and chooses to go OOS. Well, Baylor's offer still hasn't affected anything. The OOS school is the one that has changed the NET number of slots.

Again, the only scenario that will cause Baylor to free up TMDSAS slots is when a person holding a TMDSAS acceptance chooses Baylor over their TMDSAS acceptance. This will most likely happen in about 42 instances.

I am currently in Iowa and have enjoyed my intern year more than any year I ever spent in Texas.

WOW:eek:

Don't take this the wrong...actually do take it the wrong way. You talk a lot about the "Texas stereotype" and how you were afraid that ppl may fit you into that genre. You seem incredibly insecure about yourself and it is clear you worry WAY too much about what ppl think about you.

A slight correction, actually baylor accepts < 30% of its interviewed ppl... Last year they interviewed about 600 and gave out acceptances to about 200. And plus a lot of the acceptances are going for OOS students

In fact, I often find myself having to overcome the typical "Texas stereotype" and having to proove that I am not closed-minded, don't drive a big truck, didn't worship at the Bush alter, and could appreciate non Texas life.

This fact attests to other people's arrogance, not Texans'. Seriously, why bring this attitude to this thread? Are you trying to start a flamewar?

Having lived in Massachusetts for a year, I now understand the full meaning of the word "intolerant." I have lived in California, Italy, Germany, Las Vegas, and Boston -- and I'm thrilled to be going back to live in Texas next year for the first time in 12 years.

We're glad you've found happiness elsewhere, though. And good Mexican food is important, too. :laugh:

A slight correction, actually baylor accepts < 30% of its interviewed ppl... Last year they interviewed about 600 and gave out acceptances to about 200. And plus a lot of the acceptances are going for OOS students

hmm last time i checked 200/600 was 33%...interesting math

I just got back from my Baylor interview and haven't checked SDN for a long time. Did you guys already discuss the UTSW waitlist email that they sent? I can't believe they didn't participarte in the match! Does that mean there will be a lot of waitlist movement or no hope?? How about other schools? Any news? What does UTSW mean that the waitlist is unranked??? How can it possibly be unranked?

In addition to that, I've been seriously and deeply reflecting about my life and I would like some input from you guys. In considering what I'm going to do next year, should i:
A) retake the pre-req courses that I have AP credits for (like most of them except o chem) and boost my GPA
B) get an extra major (e.g.: Spanish, which should be easy since i have a minor) and boost my GPA

Sorry for the long post!

Hey trev,

Yeah, we discussed the UTSW email a while back. The consensus was that we were happy with them for being so quick and up front with the information, but not happy with them because they offered so many prematch spots that there weren't any available for the match.

They offered so many prematch spots because they could (no rules against it) and they wanted to get all the qualified applicants early. This led to some people interviewing for the waitlist which bummed some people out but others said at least they got a chance.

UTSW did technically participate in the match, that is, they sent a list of names to TMDSAS that could get in if enough people ranked a school higher than UTSW and got in to that school, freeing up spots. No one that received a prematch offer to UTSW (and hadn't already chose a different school on Jan 15 when we had to choose one prematch offer) ranked a school higher than UTSW so none of the names that UTSW sent to TMDSAS got in.

There is still a pretty good chance for many more people to get offers at UTSW, because they have offered 265 spots so far and last year they had offered 401 by the time the school year started. As more people from UTSW's waitlist get offers, that will free up offers at other schools. For example, Martha had UTSW as her #1 school, UTH as her #2 school, received a prematch offer from UTH and ended up with UTH in the match. She's at the top of the waitlist for UTSW and gets accepted, therefore she drops UTH, opening up a spot there.

UTSW doesn't have an unranked waitlist, of course it has to be ranked. They just won't tell the applicants where they are on the waitlist, if anything they will only tell them in which segment of the waiting list they are in (like top/mid/bottom or something).

That was all a summary of what's been said already on this thread.

As for you, how low is your GPA? There's really not much you can do to raise your GPA between now and when applications open up for next year (in a couple of months...) Anyway, after several years in college, it's pretty hard to raise an overall GPA. It doesn't help that all your prereq's are AP credit, but it would take you a lot of time to retake those.

I would say do D or C on your list. Apply to a program for the summer and get accepted, write about that in your completely new personal statement that you spent a month on and had everyone from your english professor to your great aunt review, and turn in your application on the first day you can. That increase your chances so much. Med schools look at your MCAT, GPA, and PS the most, and each has about equal weight, the teacher rec's and interviews are not nearly as important.

By the way, you don't even really need to apply for a summer internship/research job. Just go to some med school web sites (the schools without undergraduate institutions attached are the best because you don't have a bunch of other premeds filling the spots), find a professor that is doing research you're interested in and call him up, offering him a research intern for the summer free of charge. It may take a few calls, but you'll definitely get something. It worked for me last summer at UTSW on the first try (and I had no research experience).

I really hope you'll get in in a couple of months when the waitlist starts to move; from what I've heard about your stats, it sounds like that should happen. Otherwise, good luck next year!

Wow, what the hec happened to the TMDSAS match? I graduated from a Texas med school last year and when I applied in 2001-2002, it was a closed match representing all Texas schools save Baylor. I have to admit though that Texas is highly overrated across the board. I lived there for 18 years, keft for 4 for active military service, and stayed for med school and college. My whole family is there but I still never intend to go back. I find the Texas mentality to be quite a turn-off and it's been nice being gone now for residency. I realized in my 4 years outside Texas as a military person that the rest of the country looks at Texas as a place that is somewhat arrogant and deservingly so. I was raised to believe that Texas was almost it's own country and anytime I discussed leaving, everyone in my family and circle of friends always acted amazed that I could leave the "republic". There are incredible people, and many incredible places outside the lonestar state, and I have very much appreciated getting to meet all these "outsiders" if for no other reason than to see that there are awesome things outside Texas. Sure, the cost of living is great, but you have to deal with so many conservative, closed-minded "W" toting types that it makes life miserable at times.

I am currently in Iowa and have enjoyed my intern year more than any year I ever spent in Texas. I have found less "state pride" outside Texas and it has been a very comforting realization. Trust me, you will get just as fine a medical education and residency outside the state, and you will not have any career implications from not training in Texas. In fact, I often find myself having to overcome the typical "Texas stereotype" and having to proove that I am not closed-minded, don't drive a big truck, didn't worship at the Bush alter, and could appreciate non Texas life. Last night I took my wife and kids to eat at a local Iowa Mexican eatery and actually got incredible food. Don't be afraid to leave the "Texas nest" because if you do, you will be enriched to see the true cultural diversity that this country offers outside the lonestar state.

And there are state with just as great malpractice laws and cost of living, with 4 actual seasons instead of the dreaded Texas scorching heat. I am grateful to have been raised in Texas but I geven happier to be gone.

As a non-Texan who spent a few years living in Texas (yes, Austin, the best place in Texas supposedly) and whose parents and whole entire extended family are from Texas, I just never got the hype. I can see where it's an okay place to be, but there are plenty of other great places. Texans are really the only people I've come across who have been so reluctant to leave their home state.

Believe me guys, there's good stuff out there in the other 49 states. If you want to go back to Texas, great, but it's nice to see other things. If Texas schools don't work out for it, maybe there's a benefit.

Will I need to write a completely new PS for this next cycle? I really put my heart into this one, and I've had some compliments on it. Is there somewhere I could post it, I would really like some of yall to critique it.

Hey trev,

Yeah, we discussed the UTSW email a while back. The consensus was that we were happy with them for being so quick and up front with the information, but not happy with them because they offered so many prematch spots that there weren't any available for the match.

They offered so many prematch spots because they could (no rules against it) and they wanted to get all the qualified applicants early. This led to some people interviewing for the waitlist which bummed some people out but others said at least they got a chance.

UTSW did technically participate in the match, that is, they sent a list of names to TMDSAS that could get in if enough people ranked a school higher than UTSW and got in to that school, freeing up spots. No one that received a prematch offer to UTSW (and hadn't already chose a different school on Jan 15 when we had to choose one prematch offer) ranked a school higher than UTSW so none of the names that UTSW sent to TMDSAS got in.

There is still a pretty good chance for many more people to get offers at UTSW, because they have offered 265 spots so far and last year they had offered 401 by the time the school year started. As more people from UTSW's waitlist get offers, that will free up offers at other schools. For example, Martha had UTSW as her #1 school, UTH as her #2 school, received a prematch offer from UTH and ended up with UTH in the match. She's at the top of the waitlist for UTSW and gets accepted, therefore she drops UTH, opening up a spot there.

UTSW doesn't have an unranked waitlist, of course it has to be ranked. They just won't tell the applicants where they are on the waitlist, if anything they will only tell them in which segment of the waiting list they are in (like top/mid/bottom or something).

That was all a summary of what's been said already on this thread.

As for you, how low is your GPA? There's really not much you can do to raise your GPA between now and when applications open up for next year (in a couple of months...) Anyway, after several years in college, it's pretty hard to raise an overall GPA. It doesn't help that all your prereq's are AP credit, but it would take you a lot of time to retake those.

I would say do D or C on your list. Apply to a program for the summer and get accepted, write about that in your completely new personal statement that you spent a month on and had everyone from your english professor to your great aunt review, and turn in your application on the first day you can. That increase your chances so much. Med schools look at your MCAT, GPA, and PS the most, and each has about equal weight, the teacher rec's and interviews are not nearly as important.

By the way, you don't even really need to apply for a summer internship/research job. Just go to some med school web sites (the schools without undergraduate institutions attached are the best because you don't have a bunch of other premeds filling the spots), find a professor that is doing research you're interested in and call him up, offering him a research intern for the summer free of charge. It may take a few calls, but you'll definitely get something. It worked for me last summer at UTSW on the first try (and I had no research experience).

I really hope you'll get in in a couple of months when the waitlist starts to move; from what I've heard about your stats, it sounds like that should happen. Otherwise, good luck next year!

Thanks for responding. My GPA is not low but it could be higher. I am looking for research jobs available at Baylor but my parents keep telling me that med schools are not letting me in because I took most of my pre-reqs as AP. Their reason is that the only difference between me and other premed students that did get in is that I didn't take pre-reqs in college. So they are making me go the "safe-way" (which is very annoying because they have done no research and it's really my life and I believe they are wrong). About baylor, yeah, i guess that 600/200 = 33.33%.. Math was never my forte...

Great post, great advice.

As a non-Texan who spent a few years living in Texas (yes, Austin, the best place in Texas supposedly) and whose parents and whole entire extended family are from Texas, I just never got the hype. I can see where it's an okay place to be, but there are plenty of other great places. Texans are really the only people I've come across who have been so reluctant to leave their home state.

Believe me guys, there's good stuff out there in the other 49 states. If you want to go back to Texas, great, but it's nice to see other things. If Texas schools don't work out for it, maybe there's a benefit.
You post this over and over again, yet don't listen to the responses you get. Also, you are the one that insists that Austin is the best TX has to offer. Different people like different cities, and there are plenty of people who don't necessarily agree that Austin is the best TX city, if there is such a thing as a "best" city. Austin definitely has some of the lowest crime per capita of large US cities, but so do San Antonio and El Paso (that one's for you, Baylormed! ;) )

I grew up in the Northeast (In the NYC Metro Area) so I am a Yankee in every sense, yet I will not leave TX unless I have reason to (i.e. I only land the residency that I want OOS.)

2 Good things about TX:

1. Low cost of living
Sub-points
a) Low real estate prices. $600k+ for a 3/2 in CA? On a $150k FP doctor's salary? And y'all are saying that Texans are smoking crack? You've got to be kidding me!
b) No state income tax. I like to hold onto as much money that I earn as I can, thank you.
c) Relevant to SDN: Favorable tort laws such that malpractice insurance cost is low. It's amazing how so many other so-called "progressive" states like to stick it to doctors.
2. High standard of living
a) Salaries are as high or higher as other "more cultured" areas. Average price for a 3/2 here = 150k = 1/4 that of CA. Do CA docs make, on average 4X the salary? No way.

At the end of the day, money in your pocket = choices, and High Salary - Low Cost = Lots of money in your pocket to use to do whatever you want, in or out of TX. Everybody has things they personally like about cities, etc, and it's pointless to argue those points, but in terms of value per dollar earned, TX is near the top.

Quite honestly, I don't see anybody here boasting about how great TX is -- I see a bunch of "snipers" threadcrapping about how bad it is. Of course it's possible to live a happy life in the other 49 states -- hundreds of millions of people do it every day. Why not wow us some more with your deep prophecies about how the sky is blue.

If you don't like living here, then move. Live where you're happy. Simple as that.

Oh, I left, five years in Florida, five in St. Louis. It was great... recommended. But you can't beat the Texas tuition! Who knows if I'll stay afterward. However, I do appreciate the state pride. I really believe that we as a country have less unity and pride than most other countries in the world and it hurts us. OH, and by the way, huge amounts of people brag and brag about NYC and would die before leaving. Do we go around hating on NYC because they're so stuck in their ways?

You post this over and over again, yet don't listen to the responses you get. Also, you are the one that insists that Austin is the best TX has to offer. Different people like different cities, and there are plenty of people who don't necessarily agree that Austin is the best TX city, if there is such a thing as a "best" city. Austin definitely has some of the lowest crime per capita of large US cities, but so do San Antonio and El Paso (that one's for you, Baylormed! ;) )

I grew up in the Northeast (In the NYC Metro Area) so I am a Yankee in every sense, yet I will not leave TX unless I have reason to (i.e. I only land the residency that I want OOS.)

2 Good things about TX:

1. Low cost of living
Sub-points
a) Low real estate prices. $600k+ for a 3/2 in CA? On a $150k FP doctor's salary? And y'all are saying that Texans are smoking crack? You've got to be kidding me!
b) No state income tax. I like to hold onto as much money that I earn as I can, thank you.
c) Relevant to SDN: Favorable tort laws such that malpractice insurance cost is low. It's amazing how so many other so-called "progressive" states like to stick it to doctors.
2. High standard of living
a) Salaries are as high or higher as other "more cultured" areas. Average price for a 3/2 here = 150k = 4X more than in CA. Do docs make, on average 4X the salary? No way.

At the end of the day, money in your pocket = choices, and High Salary - Low Cost = Lots of money in your pocket to use to do whatever you want, in or out of TX. Everybody has things they personally like about cities, etc, and it's pointless to argue those points, but in terms of value per dollar earned, TX is near the top.

Quite honestly, I don't see anybody here boasting about how great TX is -- I see a bunch of "snipers" threadcrapping about how bad it is. Of course it's possible to live a happy life in the other 49 states -- hundreds of millions of people do it every day. Why not wow us some more with your deep prophecies about how the sky is blue.

If you don't like living here, then move. Simple as that.

Haha, thanks for the EP referrence! ;)

You listed many of the reasons why I would like to stay here as well. Not to mention that 90% of TX never gets hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, or snowstorms...well, snow is more of a myth in Texas, but nonetheless.

Will I need to write a completely new PS for this next cycle? I really put my heart into this one, and I've had some compliments on it. Is there somewhere I could post it, I would really like some of yall to critique it.

hmm, you could post it as an attachment (press the little paper clip icon). or you can pm it to certain ppl if you don't want lurkers to see it also.

Haha, thanks for the EP referrence! ;)

You listed many of the reasons why I would like to stay here as well. Not to mention that 90% of TX never gets hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, or snowstorms...well, snow is more of a myth in Texas, but nonetheless.

Heh, I've been through each one of those!!

Should i send a letter of interest for each school i am waitlisted at?

Diana,

Correct me if I'm wrong but you got a number of interviews right?

If so, your PS is NOT the problem. If you reapply you will need to tweak it to tell the adcoms what you have been doing since you last applied and tell them why you're a better applicant this time around. But you don't need a completely new PS if you are reapplying.

If you did interview at a number of places and didn't get in you need to work on your interviewing skills. Plain and simple.

I would pick up some more clinical volunteer work too.

Its important to bring a couple of interesting stories into the interview. Work those stories into your responses. The biggest thing you can do to help yourself in an interview is to become friends with your interviewer. Make them warm up to you.

Do you remember in the movie Reservoir Dogs when the undercover cop starts working night and day on his bathroom story? Where the cops come in with a barking K-9 and he has an ass load of drugs on himself? He does that to make the interviewers (the mob guys) warm up to him. They totally buy the story and next thing you know he is shooting up a bank.

Same thing in your med school interview. Recall a funny story and focus on the action part of it. Work on your delivery of the incident and you'll be gold.

Should i send a letter of interest for each school i am waitlisted at?

They can't hurt but they are most often a waste of time.

Thanks for responding. My GPA is not low but it could be higher. I am looking for research jobs available at Baylor but my parents keep telling me that med schools are not letting me in because I took most of my pre-reqs as AP. Their reason is that the only difference between me and other premed students that did get in is that I didn't take pre-reqs in college. So they are making me go the "safe-way" (which is very annoying because they have done no research and it's really my life and I believe they are wrong). About baylor, yeah, i guess that 600/200 = 33.33%.. Math was never my forte...

Trev,

First of all...and this applies to most of the ppl on this board...do not take med school application advice from your parents. They are way too biased and uninformed on these issues. Bless their hearts.

Me: I got rejected from Stanford
My parents: What!!! Those f8cking @ssholes!!! Why wouldn't they want you!!!
Me: I will pass along your sentiments.

If you guys get to the interview stage, it means that the school is ok with everything on your application. This includes your AP classes, your age, and that C you made in Orgo II. What they are UNSURE about is your ability to communicate, your maturity, your integrity, your mental acuity, your sense of social responsiblity, if you are really as hot as the person in the picture you submitted, etc.

Once you get to the interview stage they are telling you that they are ready to admit you with full knowledge of the "flaws" on your application.

You have to work on your interviewing skills.

Sorry for the long post!

Do AP credits even count for the pre-reqs in Texas? Someone help me on this. I mean, you should know better than me, but maybe you should call to make sure.

Here's some advice, for you and others if you didn't get in the 1st time:
-taking prereqs at a community college or using AP credit=bad but do not go retaking those courses unless you did badly! waste of time!
-if you got lots of C's in the prereqs and have <3.1 GPA go do a postbacc (2 yrs of the prereqs again)
-if you got B's and C's in the prereqs and have <3.5 GPA go do a masters in biology (2 years of upper-level graduate courses)
-DO NOT extend your undergrad to 5 years to raise your GPA under any circumstances!!!!!!!! They will think you had to do this to graduate and you will look stupid! When they ask you during interviews why you are doing this the only reason you will have is either "I wanted to raise my GPA" or "I couldn't think of anything else to do" and that also looks stupid! If you must replace those AP credits (if Texas requires it) go for the postbacc.
-If your interviewers never asked about your grades, your grades are NOT THE PROBLEM!
-for Texas, <29 MCAT=you should have some great activites or a high GPA, 29-31 MCAT=you are fine, >31 MCAT=your strength. Based on this, determine if you need to retake the MCAT or boost your application with activites (second option best if you had a good GPA)

To be more personal... As for C or D, it depends which interest you most. If you have a ton of research experience and an interest in it, go do research. The more responsibility the better and getting published should be a priority. If you were a language major, interdisciplinary, or are more interested in primary care go abroad. Even better, go somewhere Spanish-speaking... Texas schools love that skill. Even better INTERN or WORK abroad. If you're skilled enough in the language, hop on a plane and look for apartments and things to do when you get there (it will save you money).

Which experience would solidify your undergraduate experience and bring your application together to form a whole? At this point, it's not about doing what you think the adcom wants you to do. You've done that already--got good grades and a good MCAT score. Now it's about exploring what interests you. Knowing your interests and having a general idea of what kind of person you want to be in life is a sign of maturity. Choose an activity that you will light up talking about during the interview. Having your own interests outside of medicine (or only peripherally related to medicine) shows you have a sense of self.

But don't worry too much, from what you have told us, only looks like you need to better present yourself than last year. That means applying early, writing a personal statement that everyone and your mother reads (giving to a doctor to read is even better), and working on presenting yourself as a professional during the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.