NYMC - Waitlist 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxbruinxx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed @ NYMC late October...got the wait list letter (snail mail) today
anyone else?
sad, but better than a reject i suppose

Members don't see this ad.

When in Oct did you interview. I interviewed in dec 16 and still waiting. Good lock

interviewed October 15th, got the waitlist letter yesterday. Woohooo. Are we the only 2? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on October 10th and got the waitlist letter yesterday...I knew it was coming, since I didn't get an email. It's always better than a straight out rejection though...

I interviewed on 10/10 too and got the waitlist. Do they typically have a lot of movement on the list? :luck::luck: to us!!

i interviewed 10/25-ish
i hope this leads to something good (aka. an acceptance)

Hey all,
I am a MS 2 at NYMC and I work as one of the student tour guides. Just so you know, the school really cares about students showing interest. Sending your tour guides and interviewers thank you notes is looked upon highly. Having good numbers/solid app is also quite important. If you are not an "outstanding" applicant and you don't keep contact with the school and show your interest, there is a good chance you will find yourself rejected or waitlisted. I noticed that some of the students I have toured over the last few months had sort of a cavalier attitude about the school. They gave off the vibe that since they were interviewing early, NYMC was really just a fall back for them. I even overheard some students discussing how they would only attend NYMC if choices X, Y, and Z did not pan out. The school gets over 10,000 highly qualified applicants for 185 spots, so they don't need to hand over places to people who don't actually see attending as a desirable option. If you like the school, keep in contact with them...it makes a real difference in the long run.

Hey all,
I am a MS 2 at NYMC and I work as one of the student tour guides. Just so you know, the school really cares about students showing interest. Sending your tour guides and interviewers thank you notes is looked upon highly. Having good numbers/solid app is also quite important. If you are not an "outstanding" applicant and you don't keep contact with the school and show your interest, there is a good chance you will find yourself rejected or waitlisted. I noticed that some of the students I have toured over the last few months had sort of a cavalier attitude about the school. They gave off the vibe that since they were interviewing early, NYMC was really just a fall back for them. I even overheard some students discussing how they would only attend NYMC if choices X, Y, and Z did not pan out. The school gets over 10,000 highly qualified applicants for 185 spots, so they don't need to hand over places to people who don't actually see attending as a desirable option. If you like the school, keep in contact with them...it makes a real difference in the long run.

yikes. anyone who walks around at a med school visit and says things like that is such a loser, i bet they will find themselves without any acceptances. did you pass on to the adcoms their comments?? just curious.

i was recently accepted at NYMC and i am thrilled. i love the idea of spending 3rd/4th year rotations in NYC. is it hard to be able to do that? would i live in NYC, or do I need to stay in Valhalla?

i worry a bit that i will feel isolated at the school. do you feel that way? what do you do for fun?

yikes. anyone who walks around at a med school visit and says things like that is such a loser, i bet they will find themselves without any acceptances. did you pass on to the adcoms their comments?? just curious.

i was recently accepted at NYMC and i am thrilled. i love the idea of spending 3rd/4th year rotations in NYC. is it hard to be able to do that? would i live in NYC, or do I need to stay in Valhalla?

i worry a bit that i will feel isolated at the school. do you feel that way? what do you do for fun?

Third and fourth year placements are assigned by lottery. About half of the students end up in the city, and the other half end up in and around westchester and Connecticut. If you are unhappy with your placement, usually you can arrange a trade with other students. As for feeling isolated...not at all! First of all, a vast majority of your time will be spent studying...there is no way around that. White Plains is about 10 min from the campus and there are lots of movie theaters, shopping malls, supermarkets, etc. Westchester county also has a lot of affluent communities with amazing restaurants. Opportunities for outdoor activities are also pretty endless. And don't forget, you are about a 30 minute train ride from grand central station in Manhattan. You will be very busy in medical school, and you will never have the opportunity to say "I wish I had more ways to fill my time." You will actually be wishing that you had more time to just relax and hang out with friends.

As a tour guide, I am told to report any overtly bad behavior to the office. I am also told to report students who show enthusiasm and a strong interest in the school. When a student sends me a thank you note, or a question about the school, I do forward it to the office to be added to their file. The fact of the matter is, students who think the school is just a "fallback" will probably come off as arrogant, or at least disinterested, in their interview. They tend to think that they hide their attitudes well, and that they have the admissions office fooled. In reality, the interviewers and the committee knows what they are doing, and they are amazingly good at seeing through the BS and phony enthusiasm.

Congrats on your acceptance. If you choose to attend, you will get an excellent education. The school teaches heavily "to the boards." This years third year class had an average step 1 score of 226 (national average is 218). In addition, the match lists is exceptional. Just to give you an idea, 11% of last year's graduates matched in radiology, which is one of the most competitive residencies. NYMC is affiliated with many, many hospitals, and the clinical training is superb. I am very proud of this school, and I am very happy with my choice to attend here. Good luck to all

fever106

thanks so much for all the info. you sound extremely happy at NYMC. and the info about the area is very helpful. it sounds like there is plenty to do when you aren't studying. i haven't started looking at such things as matches and board scores yet. too busy trying to get in to schools!!! so thanks also for that info about NYMC.

MDRus

fever106

thanks so much for all the info. you sound extremely happy at NYMC. and the info about the area is very helpful. it sounds like there is plenty to do when you aren't studying. i haven't started looking at such things as matches and board scores yet. too busy trying to get in to schools!!! so thanks also for that info about NYMC.

MDRus

Hey MDRus,
No problem. I know that these forums have lots of information floating around...some of it is correct and useful, some of it is totally false, or at least exaggerated. As a second year, I thought I might offer up some useful perspectives to those on the waitlist, or contemplating attending NYMC. I can't comment about any other medical schools....they all have their strengths and weaknesses I am sure...but I can answer any questions anyone has about NYMC.

i'm a little scared about the lottery style rotations... how hard is it to find students to trade?? i imagine a lot of students want to do rotations in the city.

i'm a little scared about the lottery style rotations... how hard is it to find students to trade?? i imagine a lot of students want to do rotations in the city.

that worries me too. i love the school, but i really want to do my rotations in an urban area, not suburban. i would be VERY disappointed if i did not get to do that at NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
that worries me too. i love the school, but i really want to do my rotations in an urban area, not suburban. i would be VERY disappointed if i did not get to do that at NYMC.

I, like several of my friends, would actually prefer to do rotations in Westchester and the surrounding area. So finding students to trade is not as hard as you might think. Many students are married, and/or live off campus and they don't want to relocate and pay NYC rent prices or communte 30-40 minutes every day. Second of all, NYC is not the only place to get good clinical experience. Westchester medical center alone is a level 1 trauma center that sees every type of patient imaginable. The children's hospital is brand new and state of the art. Just a piece of advice...don't get too wrapped up in "where" specifically you will do your third year clinical rotations. Fourth year is even more flexible and you can do rotations pretty much anywhere (including traveling abroad or across the US). Third year you are not really a doctor and your priority should be starting to learn the ropes. You can do that just as well in NYC or the dozen other NYMC affiliated hospitals.

hey fever106,

i interviewed at NYMC on 11/14 and was very satisfied with my experience. i could not find my interviewer's e-mail address on the website, so i sent a thank you note to the department's administrative assistant, who then forwarded it to my interviewer (this was about a week after the interview). what are your thoughts on this? thanks.

hey fever106,

i interviewed at NYMC on 11/14 and was very satisfied with my experience. i could not find my interviewer's e-mail address on the website, so i sent a thank you note to the department's administrative assistant, who then forwarded it to my interviewer (this was about a week after the interview). what are your thoughts on this? thanks.

Hey mj1985,
I am sure that your interviewer received the note, and it was most likely placed in your file. I am glad that you liked the school, and I am sure NYMC will appreciate your continued interest. If you have any updates (new grades, publications, job activities, volunteer work, etc.), I would suggest sending it to them ASAP. They are really keen on students who put in the effort to keep them up to date on their applications. If you don't have anything new to update them on...don't sweat it (LOIs are not really necessary at this point in time because you have not been given a decision). They usually take about 8-12 weeks to render a decision...so I would keep an eye out come mid to late January. Good luck:luck:

I realize it's still relatively "early", given that the season only ends around april/may. So for those of us currently on the waitlist, is there anything that can be done other then...waiting?

I sent in my "Accept position on WL" card a while back, and recently emailed an update/interest letter to the school.

Am I correct in assuming that the WL wouldn't move until after May 15th?

From past threads, it seems that the waitlist gets movement in early June (it looks like they do take awhile to re-review files after May 15 and then give their decisions) and then throughout June and July. From what I've gathered, all you can really do is keep letting them know that you're interested from here on out. Good luck, they do tend to get a lot of waitlist movement!!

I just got mine today... :(

Does anybody know how many people get accepted from it (on avg) and how many are placed on it?

I was waitlisted back in December, sent out the postcard next day, and just got an email today saying that they had received it...I'm guessing they're backed up and checking for waitlist applicants isn't at the top of their priority... :(

haha yeah i got that email today too.

same here. i sent them that damn card like 2 months ago, and got that email yesterday.

if these guys were any slower, they'd be Drexel.

Waitlisted in the fall. Just recently received the email confirmation. Anyone know about waitlist movement at NYMC in previous years?

Last year it was pretty dismal (but that's how it was everywhere it seems, so they should have done something to help correct for that) but usually waitlist movement is pretty solid at NYMC. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

So here we are in mid March and I get an email from NYMC admissions asking me for a transcript with my Fall 07 grades on it. I have already gotten into a DO school and NYMC is actually the only MD school that has not out said no to me outright and I would really love to interview there but I have a deadline as to putting in the depost at the osteopathic school. My problem is that I haven't even interviewed at NYMC yet and though I think they will now that they're asking for my grades from Fall (they're very strong, A's in biochem, cell bio and labs and a few other nice marks) but the other school wants a 1500 dollar deposit and a promise to attend by April 3rd. What would you do?

So here we are in mid March and I get an email from NYMC admissions asking me for a transcript with my Fall 07 grades on it. I have already gotten into a DO school and NYMC is actually the only MD school that has not out said no to me outright and I would really love to interview there but I have a deadline as to putting in the depost at the osteopathic school. My problem is that I haven't even interviewed at NYMC yet and though I think they will now that they're asking for my grades from Fall (they're very strong, A's in biochem, cell bio and labs and a few other nice marks) but the other school wants a 1500 dollar deposit and a promise to attend by April 3rd. What would you do?

This is a decision that I had to make, so I understand where you're coming from. Do you love the DO school, and would you be happy going there if you get rejected from NYMC? If so, don't lose a seat on an off chance that you MAY get into somewhere else...check out my MDApps. If I wouldn't have put down that deposit, even with multiple other interviews, I wouldn't have a guaranteed thing right now. While the deposit is a huge amount of money, think of it as an insurance plan so that you won't have to lose 3k+ in applying next year if NYMC doesn't accept you (they only accept 1 in 3 that they interview, so not trying to be a downer, just being realistic...I got the axe there post-interview).

Ask the osteopathic school for an extension. Tell them you have extenuating financial circumstances and you need time to raise the money. I have heard of people doing this a lot because that is just a ridiculous amount of money. Then see what happens with NYMC from there.

I'm withdrawing my stop at NYMC today, hope it goes to one of you guys!

I am scheduled for an interview in early April. Will there still be open spots in the class by then, or am I just basically vying for a spot on the wait list?

Hey guys, just to offer hope to those of you on the waitlist. When I interviewed there, the guy says they have A LOT of waitlist movement (half the class comes off the waitlist?). So cheer up, there's hope! :luck:

Oh, also, each time you send a letter of interest or update, they pull your file out for the committee to review again. So, if you want to get off the waitlist, writing a few letters of interest every few weeks would probably help your application.

yo Im also MS2 at NYMC, Id just like to echo Fever, and let you know that I am doing rotations in NYC and it wasnt hard to get. The "premiere" city hospitals, St. Vincents and Metropolitan, are a little harder to get (though I still got all I wanted at St. Vincents) but we also have great hospital affiliations in Staten Island (where you get a free apt room for your rotation) and in the Bronx (right off the subway). Im still gonna do surgery at Westchester Medical Center because it has a transplant program and an emergency flight service, both of which I think are cool, and I plan to trade my city apt for a dormroom with someone else rotating in NYC for just that rotation

Anyone knows when does the interview season at NYMC ends this year?
I was complete back in September '07, but got no response yet.
At this point does that equal rejection or I still could get the interview???

Anyone knows when does the interview season at NYMC ends this year?
I was complete back in September '07, but got no response yet.
At this point does that equal rejection or I still could get the interview???

Hey people are still getting interviews I think. I got mine about a week ago.

Hey guys, I definitely just got off of the waitlist!!! Woohoo!!! :love:
So, there is still lots of hope!! :luck:

Congratulations! How did they notify you that you were off the waitlist? Also, did you do anything after getting placed on the waitlist? Like send a letter of update or interest?

They notified me by email. I didn't send a letter of interest or any updates. I graduated last Spring, so I didn't have any grades to report or anything.

Congrats!!! I got accepted today too, also off the waitlist! I did send an update letter awhile ago, I would think that it helped.

:luck: to everyone still waiting!!!

Darn, my inbox is still empty. For those accepted, what month were you placed on the waitlist/when did you interview?

Darn, my inbox is still empty. For those accepted, what month were you placed on the waitlist/when did you interview?

interview in sept, waitlist early december

:luck:

I was accepted but will be withdrawing (NYMC's too rich for my blood). I hope my spot goes to a fellow SDNer!

bumping to see if anyone's been pulled off the waitlist recently

interviewed 3/25, waitlisted today. kind of bummed. hopefully there will be a lot of waitlist movement this year.

Interviewed 3/10 here. Got a waitlist via snail mail today as well. I know a lot of the class comes from it, but does anyone know percentages?
Thanks!

got the snailmail waitlist letter today, interviewed 3/10, here I come SMP...

Due to financial aid considerations (hoping NYMC would send me a package so I could evaluate it before May 15th . . . they did not), I didn't officially turn down my acceptance until yesterday. So, hopefully that's one more spot available for you guys.

Due to financial aid considerations (hoping NYMC would send me a package so I could evaluate it before May 15th . . . they did not), I didn't officially turn down my acceptance until yesterday. So, hopefully that's one more spot available for you guys.

+1. I did love that anatomy lab though.

:luck: