Nerves Setting In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VelcroSky

U of MN Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just checking in to see if the nerves are starting to set in for the fall for anybody. I'm starting to realize that I'm going to be in vet school in the fall and it's a little scary! Yikes!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've made it there yet. My nerves are still on edge just from the prospect of getting ready for vet school. Seriously, just dealing with the rabies vaccination process has been a time sink for me. Illinois has yet to send out a supply list and I think when I get that, I'll go over the edge.

My advice for people applying next year: make your second semester easy! It's ridiculous trying to balance a heavy class load, interviews, writing a thesis and getting ready for vet school.

Yes, my nerves are definitely jumping as I contemplate just "what have I gotten myself into?!" I spend more time just totally excited and ready to get on with it, but that ugly little doubting voice starts to work on me sometimes.

Like you, Danaish72, while I anxiously await the supply list, 2008-09 financials, etc., it will be a dramatic jolt into the reality of what is ahead - or at least what our minds believe is ahead.:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sooo glad to see that others feel the same....

I just got a confirmation email from Mich State saying that they had received my acceptance letter and deposit... and I went from "Yay! I'm going to vet school!!! :D" to "OMG... what have I gotten myself into?!?!?! :scared:"

I am also anxiously awaiting my supply list, etc....

"What have I gotten myself into" . . . those are the exact words that go through my head.

Yeah, I still am really excited about it but . . . yeesh:scared:

I think we'll be fine once we are settled in and actually GOING to class!!! It is finding a place to live, finding roomies, learning a new town (and new state) and actually moving that is freaking me out. Oh and I still have to interview at TN and make my FINAL decision. Hey we wouldn't have gotten this far if we couldn't handle it! Yippie!!!!!!!

I'm so anxious to get going, nervous about meeting all my new classmates (I'm not exactly a social butterfly), and scared that I won't be able to handle it. But then I remember, I'm going to vet school and I get that OMG I can't believe it! feeling all over again and it's makes it okay.

What's kind of sad is how excited I am to buy all my new stuff, I've been researching tablets, looking up textbooks, and just being an overall nerd, it's pathetic!

P.S. I just read If Wishes Were Horses by Dr. Loretta Gage and it scared me even more, I wouldn't recommend reading it at this point. It's a really good book, but it makes vet school look really scary, and it's kind of depressing.

P.S. I just read If Wishes Were Horses by Dr. Loretta Gage and it scared me even more, I wouldn't recommend reading it at this point. It's a really good book, but it makes vet school look really scary, and it's kind of depressing.

I read that book too. I think it's important to remember that it was written in the 70's (if I remember correctly), so probably a lot has changed.

My advice for people applying next year: make your second semester easy! It's ridiculous trying to balance a heavy class load, interviews, writing a thesis and getting ready for vet school.
You're telling me! I have 20 hours and two jobs this semester and getting ready for vet school now is killing me! Haha. Not that I'm complaining, of course.
I think I'm getting the most nervous about the money it's going to take me to move out there and the fact that I'm not going to be able to have a job. :-/
I'll make it, of course, but looking for apartments and how much the classes and supplies are going to cost is getting me a bit nervous.

I'm still in the excitement phase!!! I am actually relieved to be going to TAMU because it's SO much cheaper than anywhere else for me. I feel like I can actually afford to go there!

Sidenote: Speaking of books, I'm currently reading The Jungle and I highly reccommend it! It's not a short novel, but it's great! It really gives some insight as to how far the meat packing industry has come, and even just the advances of the country in general. I'm about 3/4 through it and I love it! :)

Heh, I had to read The Jungle for ninth grade English. The rest of my class couldn't eat sausage for a week, but I was just fine. I suppose it helped to have already known some of the process.

It is a really good book. And it is responsible for us actually having the USDA check our meat now. Hooray meat inspection!

I read that book too. I think it's important to remember that it was written in the 70's (if I remember correctly), so probably a lot has changed.
It's not that far off:eek:

Sidenote: Speaking of books, I'm currently reading The Jungle and I highly reccommend it! It's not a short novel, but it's great! It really gives some insight as to how far the meat packing industry has come, and even just the advances of the country in general. I'm about 3/4 through it and I love it! :)

It's in my sad pile of books that I couldn't make it through (the pile which makes me feel guilty every time I look at it). It wasn't too gross (not at all). It was just too depressing. Reading about the their poverty, destitution, and hopelessness just made me miserable, so I stopped. I was nearly at the end, too. Just lost the will to soldier through. Which is saying something, I think, because I even made it through "The Trial."

Members don't see this ad :)
The nervousness about the actual classes and such has not gotten to me yet. But the nervousness about finding the money to pay for all this has! I dont know where I am going to find it all. I am also nervous about finding an apartment lol.

I started crying the one day while driving because it hit me that my dreams are coming true I WILL BE A VET!!! YAY:D I still do not know forsure where I will be going. And the cost and moving things are blowing my mind! I've worked about 30 hours a week all through the process Now I won't have an income all loans Scary. Why do they always ask you in interviews how you are planning to pay for school? With loans how else?

Ok, I took care of my housing today and I am feeling much better than I was when I posted this morning. But still, I am a bit worried. A few of you have mentioned that every time the anxiety sets in you remind yourself that you're going to vet school, and I think that's the key. We did it! This has been the culminating act to top off four (or many more!) years of hard work and discipline. I think we should all agree to take a moment to collectively congratulate ourselves and everyone else who has gotten in (or even just made it through the application cycle regardless of acceptances, it was grueling).

So I'll start, congratulations everyone!!:hardy:

I am definitely nervous about finding an apartment and moving and paying for all the related expenses. I will be moving to Columbus, OH which is a huge city compared to where I live now, I have never lived in a city before so I am slightly anxious about the changes that come with that. Most of all I am nervous about my wife finding a good job.

I think that no matter what I worry about something, but every once in a while it hits me again that I am really going to go to vet school this fall!:)

I am definitely nervous about finding an apartment and moving and paying for all the related expenses. I will be moving to Columbus, OH which is a huge city compared to where I live now, I have never lived in a city before so I am slightly anxious about the changes that come with that. Most of all I am nervous about my wife finding a good job.

I think that no matter what I worry about something, but every once in a while it hits me again that I am really going to go to vet school this fall!:)

Luckily, a big city means that your wife is more likely to find a good job than in a small town.

I remember that feeling! (OK, it wasn't that long ago, but I've crammed a lot of stuff in my head since then. :eek:) Trust me, once you actually get started it will be a lot better - I know the worst part for me was not really knowing what to expect. Don't worry - it's not that bad (at least so far). Disclaimer: my opinion may be slightly biased as I took the last of my second quarter finals today :D

bovine, Columbus is a nice town. I grew up in a smaller town, spent 12 years in Cincinnati before moving here. I never liked the "big city" either but I like Columbus a lot better than I liked Cincy. Don't worry - I know it is a huge adjustment (I'm a non-trad, so I had to pack up my whole house - which is STILL on the market - my husband, five cats and two horses and move :eek:) but you are all going to be fine - really! :)

I'm also going back and forth between excitement/relief and nervousness. Now that I got in, will I be able to handle it? That sort of thing. I'm excited about getting supplies though.

Now that I got in, will I be able to handle it? That sort of thing.

I try to tell myself that the adcoms know what they are doing and that I wouldn't have been accepted if I couldn't handle. That makes me feel a little better. But then again there is that little voice of doubt that says 'Oh no! What if I'm the one or two people per class that don't make it!!!!'

I know that I've never attempted to stuff as much information and retain it in my head before. I hope my little brain is up for the task. The part that seems the hardest is that you have to actually really remember this stuff. In many classes I have taken the test and after the test is over you can practically hear the psssssss as the info leaks out of my head never to be retrieved again. But now we have to learn this stuff, retain all the while jamming more stuff in there!!!!! :scared: Sorry, just running with my insecurities there.

I think that my brain hasn't made it's way past the admissions stress yet. Heh. I had a nightmare last night that I had to go interview at Penn, even though I don't want to go there, and in my dream they clearly didn't want me. I got there and was wearing nice pants, but somehow was also wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops, had to go find my car to change shoes, then buildings started moving so I couldn't find my way back. Ugh.

I had a nightmare a month or so back about interviewing at LSU, too. I didn't apply there, either. Stupid brain stressing me out about schools I never even applied to.:laugh:

I think that my brain hasn't made it's way past the admissions stress yet. Heh. I had a nightmare last night that I had to go interview at Penn, even though I don't want to go there, and in my dream they clearly didn't want me. I got there and was wearing nice pants, but somehow was also wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops, had to go find my car to change shoes, then buildings started moving so I couldn't find my way back. Ugh.

I had a nightmare a month or so back about interviewing at LSU, too. I didn't apply there, either. Stupid brain stressing me out about schools I never even applied to.:laugh:

That's so funny! I had a dream that the only school I got into was Edinburgh (I didn't apply anywhere overseas) and I was SOOO upset that I had to move to Scotland. When I woke up, I actually felt disappointed that I HADN'T applied to Edinburgh. Aaahh, our crazy brains!!!

I totally understand this worry! I am like...omg I work with vets who still remember everything after decades and decades...how am i even going to rememebr it at all?

I try to tell myself that the adcoms know what they are doing and that I wouldn't have been accepted if I couldn't handle. That makes me feel a little better. But then again there is that little voice of doubt that says 'Oh no! What if I'm the one or two people per class that don't make it!!!!'

I know that I've never attempted to stuff as much information and retain it in my head before. I hope my little brain is up for the task. The part that seems the hardest is that you have to actually really remember this stuff. In many classes I have taken the test and after the test is over you can practically hear the psssssss as the info leaks out of my head never to be retrieved again. But now we have to learn this stuff, retain all the while jamming more stuff in there!!!!! :scared: Sorry, just running with my insecurities there.

I'm feeling so anxious about moving. I still don't know where I'll end up (still waiting to see if I get off the CSU waitlist) but either way I know I'll be moving cross country. Never done that before! Even growing up, we never moved.

Claws, I just saw you got into Western! Congrats!!! I bet you're so relieved! I'm so happy for you!!!! It's too bad we won't be classmates though, oh well, we're both going to be VETS! :D

I'm feeling so anxious about moving. I still don't know where I'll end up (still waiting to see if I get off the CSU waitlist) but either way I know I'll be moving cross country. Never done that before! Even growing up, we never moved.

Me too. I have never done that either. I'm a little bit stressed about that, and about finding an apartment. It seems to be a sore point between me and my parents. They're thrilled that I got in, and are great people, but don't seem to see how an apartment is necessary. They keep asking about on-campus housing. They think it's crazy to take out these loans, etc.
Good luck, claws, and congrats on Western. Is CSU your first choice?

Thanks shuvball and hobiecat! Yeah, CSU is my first choice, but for more practical reasons. I don't know all that much about the program, I'm ashamed to admit, because I haven't visited. If I do get called off the waitlist then I will visit and make an informed decision. The thing is, my boyfriend and I will be buying a house regardless where I end up. Overall, Colorado would be cheaper in the long run. We also both agreed that we would feel more at home in Colorado vs. California. (Not too into the LA scene, if you know what I mean). It's a huge, overwhelming decision, but I do realize what an honor it is to even think that I will have a decision to make. Just being accepted to one school is more than I ever could have dreamt of.

Me too. I have never done that either. I'm a little bit stressed about that, and about finding an apartment. It seems to be a sore point between me and my parents. They're thrilled that I got in, and are great people, but don't seem to see how an apartment is necessary. They keep asking about on-campus housing. They think it's crazy to take out these loans, etc.
Good luck, claws, and congrats on Western. Is CSU your first choice?
My parents completely understand my need for an apartment, but they have no way to help me. They can't help with money, they don't have the time to help me look, and they have very little advice as to what I should look for.
I only lived in the dorms for a year and a half for undergrad and I've lived with my parents since then to save money. It's a little hard figuring out where to live. :confused:
Luckily, A&M put together a list of people looking for roommates...it has been FABULOUS!
Man are the loans going to be hefty though. :p

I can relate to all of this! LOL I freaked out that maybe my notification of acceptance form and prepayment got lost in the mail. I'm still worried that it did, but they reassured me they wouldn't give up my place unless I specifically tell them I don't want my place. I'll deliver the thing in person if I have to! And apartments! YIKES. I'll be moving out of state...and I'm burnt out on roommates from undergrad so I want to live by myself. I'm nervous about all of it! I'm sure it will all work out though :laugh: