Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazy Hippos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my interview invite for Feb. 8th! Does anyone know anything about this essay we have to write?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my interview invite for Feb. 8th! Does anyone know anything about this essay we have to write?

I heard that you get the choice of two prompts and are given 15 minutes (self-timed) to complete it. I guess you write the essay in the same room that the other applicants waiting to interview are in (to add distraction). I think past essay prompts are listed in some of the Interview Feedback links for Washington. (I'm pretty sure that's where I read about them). I also hear that there is a school dog that hangs out with you while you wait. :)

Crazy Hippos, I am waiting to hear from Washington. Would you mind sharing whether you are IS or OOS?

I have an interview scheduled for Feb 10th. Anyone else? I'd like to have someone to meet up with while I'm there! (I'm OOS and going alone).
Also, the link in the old Washington thread is not active. Does anyone know of sample interview or essay questions?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that you get the choice of two prompts and are given 15 minutes (self-timed) to complete it. I guess you write the essay in the same room that the other applicants waiting to interview are in (to add distraction). I think past essay prompts are listed in some of the Interview Feedback links for Washington. (I'm pretty sure that's where I read about them). I also hear that there is a school dog that hangs out with you while you wait. :)

Crazy Hippos, I am waiting to hear from Washington. Would you mind sharing whether you are IS or OOS?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out. I'm OOS and received my invitation through snail mail.

I am interviewing on the 8th (OOS, notified via snail mail). Applicant007, I will be traveling from Wyoming and at least staying until the 9th. (I am also OOS--non-WICHE--and traveling alone). If you arrive on the 9th and would like to meet up, I would really like that!

As far as previous interview questions are concerned, I know that WSU has removed their "list of potential questions" from their website because interview-ees seemed too prepared (almost as though they had memorized answers) and it was detrimental to the whole interview process. Based on what I have read on the Interview Feedback site, I would expect a mix of preparation questions (based on your application and experience), behavioral questions (i.e., how do you deal with stress?) and general field questions (i.e., what are challenges facing veterinary medicine? What makes a great vet? etc.) I think at least one of the essay prompts usually deals with current events in Vet Med or qualities that make a great vet. Good luck everybody!

When I interviewed, the essay questions weren't too bad, both current events. I think they involved horse slaughter and dog breed banning, and you picked which one you wanted to answer. You just have to write a short page answer, 4-5 paragraphs. I had plenty of time. They're just seeing if you can write decently and not ramble on too much when under pressure, and that you are knowledgeable about current veterinary issues.

I dont remember much about the interview, but it was 3 interviewers and they asked me a lot about my experience and background, more current veterinary issues,and ethics. Some I remember are-
(While working at a small animal vet clinic), what is a case/animal that had the most impact on you and why?
What vaccines do you give calves in your area? (I have food animal background growing up on a ranch)
And something along the lines of if you gave a pet the wrong dosage of medication but the pet seemed fine should you tell the owner. why or why not?

GSD girl: I will be arriving on Feb 9th at 3pm (Pullman Airport). Not sure when you're leaving, so we may miss each other!

Thanks for the info everyone :)

For those of you who have been invited to interview - have you only received snail mail, or have you been emailed as well?

From the website:
Notifications for interviews & offers of admissions will be made via email AND hard copy (and possibly text if indicated on the application).

I've received both. The snail mail actually beat the email by a few days in my case.

GSD girl: I will be arriving on Feb 9th at 3pm (Pullman Airport). Not sure when you're leaving, so we may miss each other!

Thanks for the info everyone :)

I haven't made my travel arrangements yet (but suppose I should get on that!) Applicant007, how are you getting to WSU? (Are you flying into Spokane and renting a car?)

Just some things to keep in mind...

If you're not used to driving in snow you may want to consider flying into Pullman. Usually the roads are just fine and this winter has been a lot milder than last winter, but sometimes it can get a little messy. They generally keep the road to Spokane in good shape. But last winter was pretty bad and they actually closed the road once or twice during the big storms.

That said, you should know that in case of fog or other bad weather they will send flights destined to Pullman into Lewiston instead. That's about 40-50 minutes away from where you want to be. If that's the case, you'll need to catch a cab (there's usually people who are willing to split a cab) up to Pullman. Not a huge problem, just takes a little longer. One more reason why they recommend you fly in the day before your interview.

There may be some vet students who are doing Pullman airport runs and last year they had some coordination to match applicants with vet students willing to spare a couch or extra room for housing. I'm not sure if they have that going on this year.

Best of luck :luck: I may be at the pizza mixer!

Hey all,

I am flying into Spokane on the morning of the 10th and renting a car to head to Pullman. If anyone wants to catch a ride, I'd be more than happy to carpool. Just respond back and we can talk. Congrats on the interviews everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was notified by snail mail and email. I am flying into Pullman on the 9th (arriving in the afternoon).

I have some question for those interviewing in Washington:

1. Where are you flying into? It seems as though it is cheapest to fly into Spokane and then find a shuttle/taxi/rent a car to Pullman. (I am 21 so renting a car would be really $$$$)

2. Have you received any information about tours/classes to sit in on, etc?

3. I have not received much information, but does anyone know exactly where the interviews take place? Are they actually in the veterinary teaching hospital or are they in another building?

For anyone who lives in Washington:

Is there a shuttle service from the airport to Pullman and the surrounding area? What hotels are closest to the school?

Thanks everyone!! I am trying to plan this trip out (without going into too much more debt :scared:). Good Luck to all at their interview!! :luck:

Last edited:
DVMDream:

1. It is typically cheaper to fly into Spokane, compared to flying into pullman's airport. You can then take a shuttle to Pullman. You can try wheatland express http://www.wheatlandexpress.com/airportshuttle.html or maybe try greyhound and see what they will run you... I'm not really sure of the price differences.

2. They offer tours of the school and hospital and we typically have a list of classes you are able to sit in on while you are visiting.

3. As far as the interviews go, they are conducted in the veterinary school not the teaching hospital. You will come into Bustad and check into this small room upfront (lady is really nice and they'll be a furry friend waiting) and here you will write your essay while waiting for your interview time. When its your time to shine one of your interviewers will come get you and show you the way.

As for as getting around in pullman, we do have a local bus system that you can use. It is like 50 cents each ride or something like that. There are also a few different taxi services. I believe Big Cat taxi is the cheapest...they are quick to pick you up...you get what you pay for tho. I had one semi scary lady pick me up once and then another much more normal lady...one ride was 5 bucks one was 7.

I would talk to some people at the school too. I am not sure if they are doing it this year but last year many students volunteered extra beds and couches to the interviewees, and some even picked people up from the pullman airport.

Good luck!

Thanks Bellepinay!!

My interview is at 3:30 in the afternoon on the 9th. Should I get there earlier than that/what time is best to arrive there at? I am planning on flying in the day/night before.

Thanks,
DVMDream

if you're looking for hotels, i stayed at the holiday inn express last year, and they were great. they have a shuttle service that will take you anywhere in town whenever you want. I had to check out of the hotel before my interview (one of the last of the day), and they held my bags for me and still shuttled be around until my flight left (to the tour of the VTH, back to the hotel to change into my suit, back for my interview, etc.) everyone there was super nice. they also had a computer with internet and a printer you could use, and a continental breakfast.

Thank you everyone for all of the good information. I love SDN; everyone is amazing here and very supportive!! I did receive the schedule for the pizza mixer on 2/8, the tours and the classes to sit in on. My question is: What do most people wear for the pizza mixer/tours/sitting in on classes? I do not want to wear my nice suit during the pizza mixer and potentially get a stain or something on it (that is how my luck runs). Also, the tour is at noon and my interview isn’t until 3:30. Would it be best to wear my suit during the tour or would it be better to go back to my hotel and change? What would you guys consider acceptable to wear on the tour/for the pizza mixer. I really do not want to feel under or overdressed. Thank you so much everyone!!! I absolutely love SDN; you are all so AMAZING!!! :D

What do most people wear for the pizza mixer/tours/sitting in on classes?

It's really varied since some people will have just had their interview and others are there the day before to look around. I've seen everything from suits to street clothes. From what I remember last year, OOS people were better dressers than IS people :laugh:

We're pretty casual here at WSU. As long as you're dressed up for the actual interview, I'd say go for whatever feels comfortable to you during the rest of your visit. If you're in a hoodie and jeans you'll look just like one of us ;)

Hope you get to sit in on something fun! Feel free to talk to any of the students in class, we're quite friendly :)

What do most people wear for the pizza mixer/tours/sitting in on classes?

It's really varied since some people will have just had their interview and others are there the day before to look around. I've seen everything from suits to street clothes. From what I remember last year, OOS people were better dressers than IS people :laugh:

We're pretty casual here at WSU. As long as you're dressed up for the actual interview, I'd say go for whatever feels comfortable to you during the rest of your visit. If you're in a hoodie and jeans you'll look just like one of us ;)

Hope you get to sit in on something fun! Feel free to talk to any of the students in class, we're quite friendly :)

Thanks lailanni! I will dress casually for the tour/pizza mixer.

I hope there will be some SDNers there to meet.

congrats to everyone who got an interview!!

I'll be flying into spokane on feb. 9 and departing the 11th and taking the wheatland express to the campus and staying at nendels inn. (man thats a cheap hotel, and its close to campus!) If anyone wants to share the hotel room and split the cost, I think we could figure something out!

I got my rejection letter today :( Good luck to everyone who made it

Withdrew my application. Hope one of you get my interview!

congrats to everyone who got an interview!!

I'll be flying into spokane on feb. 9 and departing the 11th and taking the wheatland express to the campus and staying at nendels inn. (man thats a cheap hotel, and its close to campus!) If anyone wants to share the hotel room and split the cost, I think we could figure something out!

I looked up nendles inn and you should read some of the reviews people have written about it: rusty tubs and sinks and bad smells just to name a few. I am staying at the Hilltop Inn for only $63/night and they have a free shuttle that will pick you up from where wheatland drops you off and they will take you to and from the campus (as long as you do not plan on going back and forth 5-10 times a day). I am actually going to rent a car for convenience. The wheatland gets you back to the airport at 11:30 and I needed to be back in Phoenix by a specific time so I was not able to use it. If you are going to rent a car I would recommend calling the car rental places and asking about their additional fee for being between 21 and 24. I found some fees that were only about $10-$20 extra per day and if you go through AAA you can possibly get that fee waived. Just some friendly tips for everyone heading to Washington. Good luck to everyone at their interview!! :luck:

Good Luck to anyone venturing up to Pullman in the coming weeks!! I will be giving some of the tours so maybe I will get to meet some of you. Don't be too nervous!!!

When I had my interview I stayed at the Hilltop Inn and it was really nice. There were quite a few interviewees staying there at the same time and the breakfast was pretty yummy.

Make sure that is you are renting a car or plan to park on campus during your interview that you get a day pass. They are pretty cheap and they will save you the pain of getting a parking ticket. Also, the Bustad parking lot fills up pretty early in the morning, so make sure you leave enough time to find parking. If all else fails, you can park in the garage across the street and you don't need a pass for that. It is kind of expensive though.

If you guys have any questions, I am sure that my fellow students and I can help!

I finally made my travel plans! (There goes an arm and a leg!)

Unfortunately, applicant007, we will miss each other. I'm teaching organic chem labs this semester, and have to be back in Wyoming by 2:00pm on the 9th (so I'm checking out of my hotel in Pullman at 3:00am, driving to Spokane, taking off at 6:00am, then speeding from Denver to Laramie. Agh! :scared:) But, if any SDNers are going to be in Pullman for interviews on the 8th, we should meet up... or at least find each other during the tour.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if OOS applicants can apply for residency during their first year and pay IS tuition for the remaining 3 years? I thought I heard that somewhere, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just a WSU myth.

I finally made my travel plans! (There goes an arm and a leg!)

Unfortunately, applicant007, we will miss each other. I'm teaching organic chem labs this semester, and have to be back in Wyoming by 2:00pm on the 9th (so I'm checking out of my hotel in Pullman at 3:00am, driving to Spokane, taking off at 6:00am, then speeding from Denver to Laramie. Agh! :scared:) But, if any SDNers are going to be in Pullman for interviews on the 8th, we should meet up... or at least find each other during the tour.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if OOS applicants can apply for residency during their first year and pay IS tuition for the remaining 3 years? I thought I heard that somewhere, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just a WSU myth.

My fligth arrives around 1:30PM on that 8th and then I have to drive from Spoakne so I will not be able to make it to the tours on the 8th. But I will be at the pizza mixer at 5:00 on the 8th. Are you going to that? I also heard that you can get IS tuition at WSU for the last three years but I am not sure if that is a myth or not. Good Luck at your interview!! :luck:

My fligth arrives around 1:30PM on that 8th and then I have to drive from Spoakne so I will not be able to make it to the tours on the 8th. But I will be at the pizza mixer at 5:00 on the 8th. Are you going to that? I also heard that you can get IS tuition at WSU for the last three years but I am not sure if that is a myth or not. Good Luck at your interview!! :luck:

DVMDream, are you from Arizona? (I thought I saw you mention that in a post somewhere) I am too, and my flight also arrives in Spokane at about 1:30 on the 8th. I am also renting a car and driving to Pullman...weird! Anyway, good luck with your interview!

I also heard that you can get IS tuition at WSU for the last three years but I am not sure if that is a myth or not. Good Luck at your interview!! :luck:

Yeah, that's true. Barbara told me that. :)

DVMDream, are you from Arizona? (I thought I saw you mention that in a post somewhere) I am too, and my flight also arrives in Spokane at about 1:30 on the 8th. I am also renting a car and driving to Pullman...weird! Anyway, good luck with your interview!

Yes I am from AZ. I am traveling on a US Airways flight with no stops. Maybe we are on the exact same flight! :eek: Good Luck at your interview as well. :luck:

Yes I am from AZ. I am traveling on a US Airways flight with no stops. Maybe we are on the exact same flight! :eek: Good Luck at your interview as well. :luck:

Yup, I'm also flying US Airways non-stop. I bet we're on the same flight!

Yup, I'm also flying US Airways non-stop. I bet we're on the same flight!

It sure sounds like we are on the same flight. What hotel are you staying at? Are you planning on attending the pizza mixer that night? We could meet up at the airport before take-off if you would like. What day are you interviewing?

It sure sounds like we are on the same flight. What hotel are you staying at? Are you planning on attending the pizza mixer that night? We could meet up at the airport before take-off if you would like. What day are you interviewing?

I'm probably staying at the Hilltop Inn. I definitely want to go to the pizza mixer, and I might get there in time for the tour. Yeah, I would like to meet up before take-off. I plan on getting there early anyway b/c I'm stuck w/ a middle seat, so hopefully there will be some other availabilities :) My interview is on the 9th - what are your plans?

I'm probably staying at the Hilltop Inn. I definitely want to go to the pizza mixer, and I might get there in time for the tour. Yeah, I would like to meet up before take-off. I plan on getting there early anyway b/c I'm stuck w/ a middle seat, so hopefully there will be some other availabilities :) My interview is on the 9th - what are your plans?

I have reservations at the Hilltop Inn Suites as well. I will be renting a car and attending the pizza mixer (I have already RSVP'd). I am planning on going to the tour at 12:00 on the 9th and my interview is at 3:30. I will be leaving the next day on the 10th at around 3ish. I am not sure when I will get to the airport, probably a couple hours early to get through security. I luckily have an aisle seat, but there will probably be more seats open. We should just meet up at the gate.

I have reservations at the Hilltop Inn Suites as well. I will be renting a car and attending the pizza mixer (I have already RSVP'd). I am planning on going to the tour at 12:00 on the 9th and my interview is at 3:30. I will be leaving the next day on the 10th at around 3ish. I am not sure when I will get to the airport, probably a couple hours early to get through security. I luckily have an aisle seat, but there will probably be more seats open. We should just meet up at the gate.

I was hoping to make it in time for the tour at 3:30 on Mon, since my interview is at 1:15 the next day and I have to get to the airport for my 4:30 flight. I wish I could've stay longer...but I actually have 3 exams that week. Sounds good-I'll meet you at the gate.

I was hoping to make it in time for the tour at 3:30 on Mon, since my interview is at 1:15 the next day and I have to get to the airport for my 4:30 flight. I wish I could've stay longer...but I actually have 3 exams that week. Sounds good-I'll meet you at the gate.

Ya I tried to find an early enough flight so I did not have to miss my lab, but I couldn't some I am making up the lab later in the week. Ok, meeting at the gate it is..I am short (5'3"), dark hair, dark eyes, and as white as you could possibly imagine. I will let you know what I will be carrying once I figure it out so you can identify me more easily.

Ya I tried to find an early enough flight so I did not have to miss my lab, but I couldn't some I am making up the lab later in the week. Ok, meeting at the gate it is..I am short (5'3"), dark hair, dark eyes, and as white as you could possibly imagine. I will let you know what I will be carrying once I figure it out so you can identify me more easily.

Ok cool - I am black w/ brown hair and brown eyes, and 5'8''. My mom will probably be w/ me too. See you then!

So I had my WSU interview yesterday and I think it went really well! WSU is definitely my first choice school. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and not just at the official events. When I was standing in the hallway nervously awaiting my interview, I had three current students come up to me and wish me luck and ask if I had any questions. WSU is such a friendly community and the students and staff went out of their way to make all the interviewees feel welcome. The extemperaneous essay was definitely intimidating, but the question was straight forward and I had no trouble finishing in the alloted time. The interview itself was very casual and relaxed, and over before I knew it. The questions were all very straight forward and it felt more like a conversation than anything. I just wanted to tell all you OOSers not to stress too much about your WSU interview. I didnt expect my interview experience to be fun, but now that its over I would definitely say that I enjoyed the experience. Make sure you catch a tour while you are there too. I went on one right before my interview and it really helped me relax. Bottom line is I :love: WSU and I'm really really hoping for good news from them soon! Good luck to all you OOSers as you prepare for your interviews!

So I had my WSU interview yesterday and I think it went really well! WSU is definitely my first choice school. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and not just at the official events. When I was standing in the hallway nervously awaiting my interview, I had three current students come up to me and wish me luck and ask if I had any questions. WSU is such a friendly community and the students and staff went out of their way to make all the interviewees feel welcome. The extemperaneous essay was definitely intimidating, but the question was straight forward and I had no trouble finishing in the alloted time. The interview itself was very casual and relaxed, and over before I knew it. The questions were all very straight forward and it felt more like a conversation than anything. I just wanted to tell all you OOSers not to stress too much about your WSU interview. I didnt expect my interview experience to be fun, but now that its over I would definitely say that I enjoyed the experience. Make sure you catch a tour while you are there too. I went on one right before my interview and it really helped me relax. Bottom line is I :love: WSU and I'm really really hoping for good news from them soon! Good luck to all you OOSers as you prepare for your interviews!

Thank you so muh for this!! I have been so nervous about my interview and this makes me feel so much better!! WSU is also my first choice amongst the schools I have left so I am really hoping this interview goes well. :xf:

This is true. You have to be a WA resident for a full year and have it very well documented. Transfer your driver's license, register your car and register to vote as soon as you get to WA. Best to have some WA income as well. Even then, you're not guaranteed to have your status switched but most people seem to be able to do it.

Good luck to everyone interviewing.

I received my acceptance to the WSU CVM Class of 2014 this afternoon via email! It came a lot quicker than I expected, my interview was just last week (1/28). I'm so unbelievably excited, WSU is truly my dream school and I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to be a part of such a fantastic community! Best of luck to all you OOSers in your interviews next week, I'm sure you're going to do awesome!

I received my acceptance to the WSU CVM Class of 2014 this afternoon via email! It came a lot quicker than I expected, my interview was just last week (1/28). I'm so unbelievably excited, WSU is truly my dream school and I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to be a part of such a fantastic community! Best of luck to all you OOSers in your interviews next week, I'm sure you're going to do awesome!

Congrats!! :soexcited: :claps: :highfive: :banana: I hope we will be classmates next year!! My interview is on Tuesday and hopefully us OOSers will hear just as quickly.

Congrats!! :soexcited: :claps: :highfive: :banana: I hope we will be classmates next year!! My interview is on Tuesday and hopefully us OOSers will hear just as quickly.

Thanks DVMDream, I hope we will too! Good luck again, my fingers are crossed for you!

I am in Washington now!! I am heading to the pizza mixer. If anyone else is going to be there and wants to say hi I will be wearing a white sweater with dark jeans. Good Luck to everyone interviewing at Washington this week!!

I just got back from my interview. The teaching hospital and school are amazing. The hospital is huge!! The interview went great and the interviewers were very friendly. The interview just seemed like a long, guided discussion. At one point we were talking about the Navajo Indians, the culture and the reservations. It was great, I do not even know how many questions I was asked; I actually do not remember the questions because the interview was so conversational. The essay was also not all that bad the greyhound in the room will help to make you feel much more comfortable. Washington is my number one choice right now. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news in the next 2 weeks!! :xf:

Glad you like it here :) I still think the hospital is pretty huge too! I thought about going to yeserday's pizza mixer but got tied up. Hope you had a good time and got enough pizza!

Sorry if some of the students seem a little nutty, I think the first years have like 3-4 exams in a week span. We second years have 2 this week, but I think we're pretty used to it by now.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :xf::luck:

I've been accepted to WSU through the WICHE program and haven't seen it yet, but I'm flying out next week to Spokane and driving down to Pullman to check it out and I'm very excited!!! I've been corresponding with Ms. Hodson and she has been hugely helpful in coming up with an itinerary for me next Friday to see the hospital, classes and the campus.

I was curious if there was anything that people did (museum, performance, farmer's market, store, etc) while in town that they really enjoyed? What hotel do you recommend? I wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express but they are full. And lastly, I'm also visiting CSU the week after and was wondering if anyone else has been to both campuses and what they thought? I'm pretty sure my ultimate decision will come down between both of these schools.

THANKS!!!!!