Washington State 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted after secondary screening OOS. No tier or rank for secondary waitlist. I am unsure of why that is and if they will pull from each pool equally?
If it is anything like last year, they were pulling from 2 pools running at the same time. They did have tiers for both pools though. I believe we received notification of our tier ranking/which pool we were placed not until much later (February instead of January). I don't know what their process is for calculating percentages of people who get pulled from each pool but you can always reach out to admissions for any questions/concerns you might have. I just wouldn't put much stock into what tier you were placed into or try to make projections from it because WSU waitlist isn't normal one. imo I would just hold onto your waitlist...the worst that can happen is it goes nowhere and you hear class closes but lot of moving parts before school year starts (i.e., you never know if someone's plans will change last minute)
 
Yeah things can definitely change last minute. I know for our class someone unfortunately had to give up their spot the week before our orientation, and another person did not show up to orientation. So there is the possibility to find out very close to when classes start.
 
Hi friends! I am currently weighing my options of WSU or CSU (in-state). Surprisingly, WSU is still less expensive than CSU, if I am able to gain residency after year 1. I am trying to get as much information about WSU as possible- what life in Pullman is like, what a typical day looks like in school, etc. I will be traveling alone, wish to live alone, and I am bringing my large Labrador retriever. Are there any current students or grads who can help paint that picture for me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi friends! I am currently weighing my options of WSU or CSU (in-state). Surprisingly, WSU is still less expensive than CSU, if I am able to gain residency after year 1. I am trying to get as much information about WSU as possible- what life in Pullman is like, what a typical day looks like in school, etc. I will be traveling alone, wish to live alone, and I am bringing my large Labrador retriever. Are there any current students or grads who can help paint that picture for me?
Hi there! I can give my perspective as a first year.

Pullman is fairly rural, but we do have a good amount of restaurants, shops, etc. We have a lot of local businesses along with places like Walmart and McDonalds. I find the Palouse very pretty and there are a good amount of hikes nearby. In terms of nightlife, we do have some fun bars, but to be honest the social scene is pretty undergrad-heavy. WSU athletics are pretty big, which can be a good or a bad thing (good if you like sports, bad if you like parking lol). Moscow, ID (another college town) is only 15 minutes away and has a bit more to do.
Pullman is very dog-friendly! I had no trouble finding pet-friendly housing with my 40lb dog and most of my classmates have pets too, including larger dogs. I do pay pet rent but nothing crazy. We even have a cute dog-friendly cafe called Pups and Cups that gives 20% discounts to vet students 🙂

My typical day is pretty busy. For the class of 2029, they have us split into 3-4 groups for labs and all together in a big lecture hall for lectures. We typically have labs in the 8:00 AM-12:00 PM timeframe most days of the week, then lectures from 1:00-5:00 PM. Last semester, our weekly schedule was something like this:
- Monday: occasional morning labs for histology, lectures from 1-5 pm
- Tuesday: anatomy lab in the morning (for 1 hour 20 minutes), lectures from 1-5 pm
- Wednesday: same as Tuesday
- Thursday: anatomy in morning, surgical skills lab in the afternoon (2 hours)
- Fridays: anatomy in morning, lectures from 1-3pm
All that said, our schedules varied week by week, plus changes depending on exams and stuff like that.

Club meetings usually take place during the lunch hour, or sometimes in the evening after class.

I hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have about Pullman or WSU 🙂
 
Hi friends! I am currently weighing my options of WSU or CSU (in-state). Surprisingly, WSU is still less expensive than CSU, if I am able to gain residency after year 1. I am trying to get as much information about WSU as possible- what life in Pullman is like, what a typical day looks like in school, etc. I will be traveling alone, wish to live alone, and I am bringing my large Labrador retriever. Are there any current students or grads who can help paint that picture for me?
Hey first off congrats on both acceptances! I am an OOS first-year for reference and made move coast-to-coast. Generally speaking go with your most affordable option especially with loan situation being what it now is; from quick look on VIN Cost of Education Map the difference though between schools looks marginally small though not certain with cost of living in CO vs. WA what that might look like for you. Despite the fact that I don't love Pullman landscape (I'm not used to it being very rural lol though the sunsets are beautiful), have nothing but good things to say about the school itself. Faculty and staff really care about individual student even with class size being moderately larger than others. WSU is unique too in that you get surgical skills class as early as first semester of first year which is sort of unheard of at other institutions outside of Cornell to name a few. I second everything that @gobears2022 stated above and more than welcome to answer any questions you might have (may be easier if you dm me though with how active this thread has become 🙂
 
Hi, is there any current WSU student who wouldn't mind giving myself and my lovely parents a tour of campus? We'll totally treat you to a nice lunch as well! I can't make the admitted student weekend, but would love for my parents to understand what vet school will be like (they are adorable old folks). I grew up nearby so would be driving down maybe first week of February? Whatever works for a current student with a spare hour or so of time (thank you!!!).
 
Hi, is there any current WSU student who wouldn't mind giving myself and my lovely parents a tour of campus? We'll totally treat you to a nice lunch as well! I can't make the admitted student weekend, but would love for my parents to understand what vet school will be like (they are adorable old folks). I grew up nearby so would be driving down maybe first week of February? Whatever works for a current student with a spare hour or so of time (thank you!!!).
While I would absolutely love to help you with this, with exams starting next week it may be little harder to find mutual time. We do have a set of student ambassadors (not just limited to first-years) though who prob are better positioned anyways to help with this kind of thing...I am just not keen on details of how to go about reaching out to them...my guess though admissions would know more and be able to work with you based on circumstances if you reached out to them?
 
While I would absolutely love to help you with this, with exams starting next week it may be little harder to find mutual time. We do have a set of student ambassadors (not just limited to first-years) though who prob are better positioned anyways to help with this kind of thing...I am just not keen on details of how to go about reaching out to them...my guess though admissions would know more and be able to work with you based on circumstances if you reached out to them?
Thank you! I did reach out and I'll try again tomorrow by phone again!
I'm happy to wait until after exams, if you know when most students might be available?
 
Thank you! I did reach out and I'll try again tomorrow by phone again!
I'm happy to wait until after exams, if you know when most students might be available?
Unfortunately, once they start, exams are always ongoing until the end of the semester...at least 1-2 a week for us first-years. We have spring break week of March 15th so probably would be best time as far as availability goes. If you have any specific questions though about WSU, Pullman etc., more than welcome to help you out just would be better if you dm me 🙂
 
Thank you! I did reach out and I'll try again tomorrow by phone again!
I'm happy to wait until after exams, if you know when most students might be available?
We have tour guides for prospective students, admitted students and others who are interested in our program. Tour guides are also vet students too who are trained well and will introduce our buildings and VTH. I think you can request the tour on the website or just call the admission to schedule the tour. I am a 3rd year student ambassador, feel free to ask any questions. BTW, we will have several events next week including student panel that you can ask any questions regarding our program, the student ambassadors will be there for you. Please to reach out the admission for registering the event and more information.
 
Last edited:
We have tour guides for prospective students, admitted students and others who are interested in our program. Tour guides are also vet students too who are trained well and will introduce our buildings and VTH. I think you can request the tour on the website or just call the admission to schedule the tour. I am a 3rd year student ambassador, feel free to ask any questions. BTW, we will have several events next week including student panel that you can ask any questions regarding our program, the student ambassadors will be there for you. Please to reach out the admission for registering the event and more information.
Thank you so much! I'm assuming the panels next week are online events? Also very good to know some of the tours are geared toward admitted students ( I want to see the student areas! Like the labs!). My family and I have done the general tour many times over the years, and it's fun but I was hoping to base my decisions on more.

Thank you to all the current students who take time out of your schedules to help admitted and prospies!! We appreciate you
 
Thank you so much! I'm assuming the panels next week are online events? Also very good to know some of the tours are geared toward admitted students ( I want to see the student areas! Like the labs!). My family and I have done the general tour many times over the years, and it's fun but I was hoping to base my decisions on more.

Thank you to all the current students who take time out of your schedules to help admitted and prospies!! We appreciate you
The events I mentioned earlier are all in person, including the student panel. That is why I suggest you ask the admission team for more information. I think we historically have the student day for admitted students, but everything is postponed this year, and I am not sure if the events next week are related to admitted students only. On the student day, you will have a chance to sit in one of the first-year classes and experience our simulation lab that our TA will teach you how we learn surgical skills in our program. If you want to meet any ambassadors to talk more about the program, you are welcome to find our information online and schedule a time with one of our ambassadors. If you are interested in the in-person student panel next week, I think it is good to confirm with the admission team since students are not involved with the scheduling process. I hope the information is helpful and congradulation to your acceptance!!
 
The events I mentioned earlier are all in person, including the student panel. That is why I suggest you ask the admission team for more information. I think we historically have the student day for admitted students, but everything is postponed this year, and I am not sure if the events next week are related to admitted students only. On the student day, you will have a chance to sit in one of the first-year classes and experience our simulation lab that our TA will teach you how we learn surgical skills in our program. If you want to meet any ambassadors to talk more about the program, you are welcome to find our information online and schedule a time with one of our ambassadors. If you are interested in the in-person student panel next week, I think it is good to confirm with the admission team since students are not involved with the scheduling process. I hope the information is helpful and congradulation to your acceptance!!
THANK YOU for this info! It must be for WICHE students, and I am OOS so was offered a visit later in March. I will give them another call now! Thank you again so much for all the help you're offering us baby vets!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From the WSU DVM admissions page on Facebook! “Admissions Update!

Big movement is happening in our admissions cycle! Use the link in our bio to check out our Class Tracker for the latest updates.

Current status:
• Montana residents: decisions released in November
• WICHE: early offers released in December + the first round of WICHE-funded offers went out this week
• Nonresidents: all decisions sent this week
• Washington & Idaho residents: interviews are happening over the next two weeks, with final decisions shared by the end of February

We know this stage can bring a mix of excitement, nerves, and anticipation — and that’s completely normal. Remember applying to vet school is an extremely competitive process- we had 2920 applications with a final class size of 142. The nonresident pool was over 2500 applicants this year for only 61 spots.

Looking ahead, we’ll be hosting spring office hours where applicants can connect with our admissions team, ask questions, and learn how to strengthen a future application. While we can’t provide individual application reviews due to the volume of applications we receive, these sessions are a great way to get insight and support as you plan next steps.”
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6624.jpeg
    IMG_6624.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 129
From the WSU DVM admissions page on Facebook! “Admissions Update!

Big movement is happening in our admissions cycle! Use the link in our bio to check out our Class Tracker for the latest updates.

Current status:
• Montana residents: decisions released in November
• WICHE: early offers released in December + the first round of WICHE-funded offers went out this week
• Nonresidents: all decisions sent this week
• Washington & Idaho residents: interviews are happening over the next two weeks, with final decisions shared by the end of February

We know this stage can bring a mix of excitement, nerves, and anticipation — and that’s completely normal. Remember applying to vet school is an extremely competitive process- we had 2920 applications with a final class size of 142. The nonresident pool was over 2500 applicants this year for only 61 spots.

Looking ahead, we’ll be hosting spring office hours where applicants can connect with our admissions team, ask questions, and learn how to strengthen a future application. While we can’t provide individual application reviews due to the volume of applications we receive, these sessions are a great way to get insight and support as you plan next steps.”
I’m WICHE and got an early offer but didn’t receive the funding ig since I wasn’t emailed this week 🙁
 
Hey guys! I’m kind of confused on the Pullman vs Bozeman campus debacle. I looked at my app and it didn’t have me choose my preferred campus. Does anybody know how to find out which campus we were accepted into?

Also, I saw somebody say there is a portal after we’re accepted? I didn’t get any info for this, but maybe I’m being impatient lol. Also, how have people already accepted their position?I didn’t see where we do that either 😂
 
If we were waitlisted are we supposed to fill out the survey about financial aid for which campus we're interested in?
Yes! I think I saw somebody who was waitlisted last year say that they did. Remember that at Pullman you can gain residency, and at Bozeman you cannot!
 
Hey guys! I’m kind of confused on the Pullman vs Bozeman campus debacle. I looked at my app and it didn’t have me choose my preferred campus. Does anybody know how to find out which campus we were accepted into?

Also, I saw somebody say there is a portal after we’re accepted? I didn’t get any info for this, but maybe I’m being impatient lol. Also, how have people already accepted their position?I didn’t see where we do that either 😂
For your first question, it is good to check with admission team. They have all your information on file and should be able to find out the preferred campus for you.
For the second question, I did say you will get your portal but it won’t happen until March. We still have interviews going on and it is still in the early of cycle. After the decision deadline in April, admission team will be busy filing you into the system. I understand the excitement but just be patient. Admission team will let you know the process via email.
Hope the information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.
 
For your first question, it is good to check with admission team. They have all your information on file and should be able to find out the preferred campus for you.
For the second question, I did say you will get your portal but it won’t happen until March. We still have interviews going on and it is still in the early of cycle. After the decision deadline in April, admission team will be busy filing you into the system. I understand the excitement but just be patient. Admission team will let you know the process via email.
Hope the information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you!! 🙂 I am glad that I didn't miss something! haha
 
Zoe Coffee and Kitchen is good in Pullman for either, if you don't mind the short drive to Moscow, Moscow Bagel is one of my fav places, but The Breakfast Club is also super good!
Went to Zoe kitchen for their pulled pork nachos and fried cheese curds... YUMMM. Thank you for the recc. And it was happy hour. $4 off!!!
 
Hi! I just toured yesterday and here are some of my impressions:.
1) the Palouse is beautiful even in bad weather! Pullman is small and rural, but it's geared toward college so that's nice when you're busy and everything will be walkable/bikeable. Plus not as many distractions or traffic!
2) the sim labs seem well liked, students get lots of hands on practice that gets them employed over the summers at clinics
3) the students were all super nice and engaged - maybe the smaller campus etc, but everyone seems to make friends easily!
4) honestly, the faculties are a bit old 🙁 the main lecture hall seems unchanged from 20 years ago when I first visited and there's no windows. Students were a bit bummed about that
5) the lecture I attended was fantastic, and with lectures recorded and P/F there's a lot of leeway in attendance .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Can any WSU students chime in about tuition:
does it/could it increase year-over-year, or are you locked into the amount when you started?
 
Hi! I just toured yesterday and here are some of my impressions:.
1) the Palouse is beautiful even in bad weather! Pullman is small and rural, but it's geared toward college so that's nice when you're busy and everything will be walkable/bikeable. Plus not as many distractions or traffic!
2) the sim labs seem well liked, students get lots of hands on practice that gets them employed over the summers at clinics
3) the students were all super nice and engaged - maybe the smaller campus etc, but everyone seems to make friends easily!
4) honestly, the faculties are a bit old 🙁 the main lecture hall seems unchanged from 20 years ago when I first visited and there's no windows. Students were a bit bummed about that
5) the lecture I attended was fantastic, and with lectures recorded and P/F there's a lot of leeway in attendance .
I'm going to tour at the end of February, any suggestions on what to ask about/see while in Pullman? Was the tour you went on the one on this page for the teaching hospital?: https://vetmed.wsu.edu/tours-and-visits/
 
Hi! Can any WSU students chime in about tuition:
does it/could it increase year-over-year, or are you locked into the amount when you started?
Yes, there are slight increases that get approved by the school. For example, my first year as an IS resident, the tuition alone was $27k. For my 3rd year now, it was just over $28k. Also, 4th year is significantly more expensive as it's about $40k.
 
hi friends so sorry if this question has already been addressed i am just doing mental gymnastics trying to decode the waitlist tier system.

I know that the tiers themselves have an order WITHIN them (aka tier 2 has its students ranked in order) and that there's no way to find out where you rank in your tier, but what do the TIERS mean?

in other words, (lets pretend that each tier has five students on it) would the top ranked student in OOS tier 1 be ranked equal (in terms of chance of getting an offer) as the top ranked student in OOS tier 2? Or would it be like all students in tier 1 then 2 then 3 etc?
 
Would anyone be interested in a GroupMe/group chat for admitted students?

Full transparency, I have not committed yet as I am evaluating all offers at the moment, but am very, very interested in attending and would love to get to know you all!!
 
Last edited:
Not an expert here but from my understanding:

The tiers are priority levels, not just bins to organize people.

  • Tier 1 = highest priority waitlist group
  • Tier 2 = next priority
  • Tier 3 = lower priority
  • Tier 4 = lowest priority
And if someone is Tier 4, they still could have a chance to get offered a seat if they have enough spots available and previous waitlisted applicants declined their offer. All Tier 1s get offers before Tier 2s.

If this is off, someone help correct me.
Based off last year, I think people are ranked within their own tier and they may have their own system based on maybe experiences, location, GPA, and what animals you want to treat since there’s a separate waitlist group for those that have lower GPAs and lots of potential based on their experiences. No one seems to know exactly how the tiers work as last year, I think some tier 2 and 3s weren’t accepted but some in tier 4 were. But not everyone posts what tier they are or if/when they were accepted.
 
As someone who was waitlisted last year, can confirm that it is very difficult to make projections based on waitlist system WSU uses. Better to use live table of accepted stats with seats remaining etc. There were people getting pulled in tier 2 in prelim pool and tier 4 and non-academic pool last year at time I got accepted in May
 
Would anyone be interested in a GroupMe/group chat for admitted students?

Full transparency, I have not committed yet as I am evaluating all offers at the moment, but am very, very interested in attending and would love to get to know you all!!
I would love this! I am also weighing my options and have not committed, but I would love to get to know everybody!
 
Holding up? Trying my best. It's all I can think about. I have also committed to a new puppy, however, if I do not get accepted. So thinking about that as a possibility is a good distraction for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Happy One Week Anniversary to our IS interviewees. How are we holding up? What are some ways you are helping the time go by as we patiently await results? We picked up a new baby mini doxie so that is one big way we are distracting ourselves. Lol!!
As you can tell by my pfp I am obsessed with dachshunds! Congrats on the new puppy!!