Ortho 2011 MATCH results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninety

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post the good news! Here's the format:

Name:
Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

it looks like there was 1 school with 2 slots unmatched. anyone know who that is?

Specialty/Where: ORTHO, IOWA
Dental School Attended: VCU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2011
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88 part I
Class Ranking: 23/89
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: yes, presented project at IADR this year, currently working on getting it published
Extracurriculars: taekwondo, SGC/ADEA treasurer, worked as ortho assistant, lots of ortho shadowing/helping
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs: applied to 33 programs, interviewed at VCU, Iowa, Case, NYU and Jacksonville
Ranked: 2nd

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
although i received no invitations but i will post my experience to show interested international students how competitive Ortho is

Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2009
International Student (yes/no): yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: 87
Class Ranking: non-ranking school (GPA 3.09)
Match/Non-Match: neither!
Externship(s)/where:
Research: minimum
Extracurriculars: many
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:37/0 !!!

Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 1996
International Student (yes/no): yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89
Class Ranking: 5/59 (2.67)
Match/Non-Match: non-match
Externship(s)/where: 1 year NYU PG Orthodontics for International Graduate + 6 mos extension as teaching fellow
Research: 3 in dental school.
Extracurriculars: many
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:1/1/1/1

I worked as orthodontics assistant right after the PG course, dental assistant, out of dentistry for the last 7 years raising my 2 kids and family. Now they are a bit big, this is my first year applying again for ORtho program. I applied last year at AEGD and Prostho at Rochester with interviews.
It seems they were wondering so much why that time I chose AEGD and Prostho, but not Ortho.

I was that close this year. The interview vibe was really positive. Let's try again next year.

I only applied for one and one only just because I was not sure after last year experience at Rochester. The cities where the dental schools are also have to be in our family's interest (school system, etc).

PS: ninety, please don't lose hope. I have been out of school for 14 years, they were questioning about that, but it's never too late to go school again and aim your dream.
My problem is much much more complicated to go back to school again. You graduated last year... Sending you lots of wishes for winning smile next year. Are you going to apply again, right ?

I am planning to take other exam and volunteer in dental schools to get back to dentistry again.:thumbup:

I only applied for one and one only just because I was not sure after last year experience at Rochester. The cities where the dental schools are also have to be in our family's interest (school system, etc).

Here's a hint for all you dental specialty hopefuls: always, always, always apply to more than 1 program for that given year! Even if you don't plan on relocating very far, you have to at least give the impression that you will travel anywhere because you will put that dental specialty FIRST, and not the location. Time and again you hear about that dental graduate who can't leave a particular city because their spouse can't leave their job, it's hard to relocate the kids, etc. (such is life) and the program directors pick up on this. There are way, way, way more applicants than spots so you are basically shooting yourself in the foot.

Here's a hint for all you dental specialty hopefuls: always, always, always apply to more than 1 program for that given year! Even if you don't plan on relocating very far, you have to at least give the impression that you will travel anywhere because you will put that dental specialty FIRST, and not the location. Time and again you hear about that dental graduate who can't leave a particular city because their spouse can't leave their job, it's hard to relocate the kids, etc. (such is life) and the program directors pick up on this. There are way, way, way more applicants than spots so you are basically shooting yourself in the foot.

I am very aware of that, I was not planning to apply to any specialty school at first, I applied very last minute and just decided to apply to one school as I thought if I can finish all 2 board exams.
I was lucky out of that only 1 school, I got interview, and I found out that I got ranked, right in the middle.
Of course next year when I am ready to apply more school (very expensive, so need to save up more money to apply for a lot of schools and interviews expenses), it will be like what you said shooting yourself in the foot if I just apply for 1 school again. It is no brainer, the more you apply the better chance it is.

I wouldn't agree with what you said about program director looking of you with family of location as not as important as dental specialty. The program director whom I was interviewed with said that it is very important for applicant who apply and has family that why you chose the city of the school, because once you have a family to move, you have to consider the location. Moving with the whole family is a troublesome, but it brings more pluses if they know your family (spouse) is supporting and willing to move the job and house with you once you got accepted. That's why maybe I got ranked!

after these two threads, i found my application some how avergae (not less than average as i assumed) so i wonder why none of the 37 schools had considered my application for interview!

anyway, thank you blissonearth and definitely i am going to apply next year

after these two threads, i found my application some how avergae (not less than average as i assumed) so i wonder why none of the 37 schools had considered my application for interview!

anyway, thank you blissonearth and definitely i am going to apply next year

Ninety, I couldn't believe that too. I heard recommendation letters make big difference, too. Did you get any recommendation letters from any professors here ? You must be so upset, especially thinking about how much money you spent on those 37 schools for application fees....:( Darn it!

Specialty/Where: orthodontics / top choice
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 4th Year Resident, Expected 2011
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91 / ?
Class Ranking: 1/76
Externship(s)/where: 2 externships
Research: Published research on cell biology
Extracurriculars: Tons of Community Service
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 30 / 16 / 12 / 12

Last edited:
Specialty/Where: Univ. of Colorado
Dental School Attended: Univ. of Penn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2005
NBDE score: 96
Class Ranking: ? not ranked after top10(probably within 20%)
Externship(s)/where: Albert Einstein Medical Center
Research: a lot
Extracurriculars: few
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 30+/9/7/5

I have my family,private practice, and house in Colorado so I'm glad that I don't have to leave here.

I will post this here because I know that I benefited from those who did so last year. So hopefully those applying next year will be able to make some use of our posts. I am sorry for those who did not match this year, there is a lot of luck innately involved in this process, so keep at it. Good luck to all!

Specialty/Where: Orthodontics / UMKC
Dental School Attended: Univ. Kentucky
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 4th Year, Expected 2011
NBDE Part I/II scores: 97 / ?
Class Ranking: 1/57
Externship(s)/where: VCU
Research: 4 different projects, one submitted for publication, AADR fellowship for another
Extracurriculars: Yes I would say fair amount, I guess.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: Applied to 10 / Invited to 8 / Attended UCLA, OHSU, UMKC, VCU, Ohio St., Florida, Univ of Kentucky/ Ranked 6 (UCLA is non match, and did not attend one interview due to overlap)

Hope this helps people next year- good luck!!!

Specialty/Where: Orthodontics/ Top Choice :)
Dental School Attended: -
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 4th Year, Expected 2011
NBDE Part I/II scores: 93 / ?
Class Ranking: 4/98
Externship(s)/where: visited two schools, three years assiting experience one preceptorship
Research: 2 different projects, one submitted for publication, AADR presentations for one, one being presented at AAO/ADEA this year, Hinman presentation
Extracurriculars: Yes- president of organization, national officer for another, few other outside activities/service projects, mission trip to Mexico, worked during dental school

Applied to 15 / Invited to 13 (no invite from Washington DC and Boston)

Attended Houston, Oklahoma, Baylor, LSU, St. Louis, and UIC / Only ranked 5 because one program I was not willing to attend

Did not attend: Minnesota, San Antonio, Louisville, Indiana, Maryland, Stony Brook, UNC due to overlaps/limited myself to 6 interviews due to the expense of traveling and days missing from school

Everyone from my dental class applying got their top choice-

Specialty/Where: Ortho / Univ. of Colorado
Dental School Attended: UCLA
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2005
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: 95/88
Class Ranking: No ranking (Pass system), but graduated magna cum laude
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: None in dental school. Very minimal in undergrad.
Extracurriculars: Some, not much.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: Applied to 38 programs, invited to 10. Attended 9 interviews (could not go to 1, due to overlap) - UCSF, Colorado, Tennessee, St. Barnabas, Mayo Clinic, Baylor, Temple, Loma Linda (non-match), South Carolina. Ranked 7 programs.

For future applicants that have been out a long time:
I did a year of AEGD right after dental school and have been working since. I had 5 different rec letter writers and chose the letter combinations according to what the particular program wanted - AEGD program director, AEGD assistant director, AEGD attending (GP), AEGD attending (orthodontist), UCLA ortho dept chair letter, Dean's letter. I used the AEGD letters where I could, since the writers actually know and remember me. I did not have any current or former employers write a letter. Tennessee & Mayo Clinic perceived my work experience as highly valuable. For St. Barnabas, it's a requirement to have already graduated from dental school (can't remember, if you needed to do either a GPR/AEGD though). I was often asked whether I was always interested in ortho and whether this was my first time applying to ortho.

Advice from my ortho friend:
My friend who went straight to ortho advised me to apply to as many programs as possible, and if you end up with a ton of interviews, you can cut down at that point. After the agony of the whole application & interviewing process, I am happy that I applied to enough programs to match. It's a mystery as to why certain programs decided to invite me for an interview and others did not. She says you never know what the programs are looking for, so it's just better to apply to many programs.

Hope this helps future ortho candidates!

Hello,

I was wondering if it's helpful to go on externship. Does it help you earn an interview?

I have a friend with very good credentials minus the 90+ part 1 score. He got 84 on Part 1 and no class rank. He is at a good dental school with many many extracurricular activities and good research experience. I guess my question is with an 84, is it even worth applying?

Hello,

I was wondering if it's helpful to go on externship. Does it help you earn an interview?

I have a friend with very good credentials minus the 90+ part 1 score. He got 84 on Part 1 and no class rank. He is at a good dental school with many many extracurricular activities and good research experience. I guess my question is with an 84, is it even worth applying?

I would have to say your friend doesn't really have good shot. But the story would be different if your friend has a parent who can get a legacy spot.

I am a current orthodontic resident. I had 94 on board. Within top 10 of my dental school. Research experience etc. I had 11 interviews and went 9 of them. I matched at my top choice. I felt great in the beginning but then I felt somewhat cheated as I found out one of my coresident with mediocre background got in by her orthodontist parent's massive donation.

Yes, it does happen at many orthodontic residency and my residency is not the only place you can find legacy spot. I know at least handful of orthodontic residency that takes legacy spot (I heard about it from my friends at other ortho residencies). You do get your shot if you study your ass off and give up your life during dental school. But there's easier way in.

I am glad to say that at least as far as I know our program did not take any buy-in this year. All the incoming residents seem extremely qualified and I am excited to have them here. However, I am sure at least a few people match this year at other residencies will feel cheated just like I did when they start residency and see a mediocre gal/boy seating next to them owing to their wealthy orthodontist parent.

Well... it is what it is and I don't think it will ever stop. Anyway, congraturations to all who made it this year!

Last edited:
I would have to say your friend doesn't really have good shot. But the story would be different if your friend has a parent who can get a legacy spot.

I am a current orthodontic resident. I had 94 on board. Within top 10 of my dental school. Research experience etc. I had 11 interviews and went 9 of them. I matched at my top choice. I felt great in the beginning but then I felt somewhat cheated as I found out one of my coresident with mediocre background got in by her orthodontist parent's massive donation.

Yes, it does happen at many orthodontic residency and my residency is not the only place you can find legacy spot. I know at least handful of orthodontic residency that takes legacy spot (I heard about it from my friends at other ortho residencies). You do get your shot if you study your ass off and give up your life during dental school. But there's easier way in.

I am glad to say that at least as far as I know our program did not take any buy-in this year. All the incoming residents seem extremely qualified and I am excited to have them here. However, I am sure at least a few people match this year at other residencies will feel cheated just like I did when they start residency and see a mediocre gal/boy seating next to them owing to their wealthy orthodontist parent.

Well... it is what it is and I don't think it will ever stop. Anyway, congraturations to all who made it this year!

Money, it's what makes the world turn round. Forget about opening ortho offices, the real $ is opening ortho residency programs! And if you feel bitter now, wait until the day after graduation when those legacies walk into their established parent's office with the set referral patterns and decades of goodwill (while incurring no practice loans) while you sweat it out running from office to office while taking years for your practice to get off the ground. Being born into a wealthy family is like winning the lotto I suppose.