**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How important is the school you end up going to in terms of reputation? I've heard from many orthodontists that it doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you get your certificate. I'm curious about what others think of this.

Members don't see this ad.

How important is the school you end up going to in terms of reputation? I've heard from many orthodontists that it doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you get your certificate. I'm curious about what others think of this.
When it comes to private practice, whether you attend Iowa, VCU, Houston, Howard, or GSO doesn't make a difference. Regardless of whether we attend the top-ranked clinical program or the least strong one, our learning in orthodontics primarily involves understanding the basics.

However, cheaper programs are preferable because lenders take into account the amount of student loan debt when approving a loan for private practice.

In academia, research reputation matters to some extent, given that 'institutional environment' often serves as one of scoring criteria for many research grants.

Reactions: 2 users
I am applying next year. What are some of the top or reputable programs out there?

I know all programs are difficult to get into but I am curious what are the highly sought out places. I’m guessing Michigan, UNC, but not sure of the others.
What is everyone's thoughts on externships? Are they worth doing? Also, I go to a P/F school. Is there anything I can do besides research in the next year to bolster my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone's thoughts on externships? Are they worth doing? Also, I go to a P/F school. Is there anything I can do besides research in the next year to bolster my application?
Externships are a great way to get a feel for a particular program, learn what ortho residency is like, and connect with faculty/residents/staff. I definitely suggest going on at least one externship before submitting your application that way it’s already on your app. In addition to an externship and research, leadership, professional development (conferences, meetings), professional affiliations, volunteering and part time work all look good.

Reactions: 1 user
32 hours and 19 mins left 🥲☹️🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🤞🤞

Reactions: 4 users
Externships are a great way to get a feel for a particular program, learn what ortho residency is like, and connect with faculty/residents/staff. I definitely suggest going on at least one externship before submitting your application that way it’s already on your app. In addition to an externship and research, leadership, professional development (conferences, meetings), professional affiliations, volunteering and part time work all look good.
How long would you suggest an externship be to put on an app like 3 days at least?

All the best to everyone for tomorrow. Hope Lady Luck shines on all of us…

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Is there a comprehensive list of the orthodontic fellowships that are offered at different schools and the cost?
There are some programs with different tuitions, either research or clinic or both. I am sure you will find more details if you search "preceptorship in orthodontics" or "fellowship in orthodontics" Also, you might not be able to practice during that period and your earning will be limited. However, I believe it improves your chances.

So at 8AM EST they email you whether you matched or not then you have to log in to check where?

Is it just me or you guys also had nightmares with program directors as the main characters? 🥲
16 more hours...

Reactions: 1 users
I am terrified and scared but I hope we all match 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone that has applied before or is currently applying to Ortho… do any of you regret choosing/not choosing a P/F dental school?
Don’t regret it at all. Received multiple interviews. Many very reputable dental schools are P/F so it’s not looked down upon at all anymore. I felt being a P/F school allowed me to make genuine connections with faculty instead of just gunning for that top score. Which resulted in good letters of recommendation.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone else who didn’t match last year that had only one interview this cycle and just hoping for the best?
I need some emotional support here.

• Care
good luck everybody!!!! also i hear emails for matches dont necessarily all come out at the same time so dont fret if you dont receive one at the same time as others

Is there anyone else who didn’t match last year that had only one interview this cycle and just hoping for the best?
I need some emotional support here.
That's me.
So scared but I hope we match tomorrow 💜💜

I need some emotional support
Similar situation. Want it so bad!! Good luck to you!!!

Don’t regret it at all. Received multiple interviews. Many very reputable dental schools are P/F so it’s not looked down upon at all anymore. I felt being a P/F school allowed me to make genuine connections with faculty instead of just gunning for that top score. Which resulted in good letters of recommendation.
Yup I totally agree. Going to a reputable pass/fail school aka "specialty school" is probably the best strategy for entering Ortho, as students can focus on building research and other extracurricular.

The next best schools are likely honors pass/pass/fail institutions, where students can concentrate on excelling in courses that they can get honors while still passing others and they can spend more time on research and other ECs.

The main advantage of some schools with grades and rankings is the cheaper in-state tuition. These 'general dentistry' schools prioritize producing graduates as general dentists for opening practices in rural, under served areas, recognizing that many new grads find success in under served areas where established dentists do not want to go. In this way, both state schools and the state government, which subsidizes the state schools, can help address access to dental care in rural, underserved areas.

Last edited:
Yup I totally agree. Going to a reputable pass/fail school aka "specialty school" was probably the best strategy for entering Ortho, as students can focus on building research and other extracurriculars.

The next best schools are likely honors pass/pass/fail institutions, where students can concentrate on excelling in courses that they can get honors while still passing others that they cannot and they can spend more time on research and other ECs.

The main advantage of some schools with grades and rankings is the cheaper in-state tuition. These 'general dentistry' schools prioritize producing graduates as general dentists for opening practices in rural areas, recognizing that many new grads find success in underserved areas where established dentists do not want to go.
keyword reputable, currently at a less reputable p/f school, amazing program, but it seems extremely difficult to get interviews for ortho, endo, or OS. Not impossible, but difficult. It is an amazing program though, just wish it was better at getting students into specialties. I think for the last 3-4 years 0 people have gotten into OS (5 applied last year) or endo. Normally a few get into ortho every year (typically expensive programs like Georgia).

keyword reputable, currently at a less reputable p/f school, amazing program, but it seems extremely difficult to get interviews for ortho, endo, or OS. Not impossible, but difficult. It is an amazing program though, just wish it was better at getting students into specialties. I think for the last 3-4 years 0 people have gotten into OS (5 applied last year) or endo. Normally a few get into ortho every year (typically expensive programs like Georgia).
If you don’t mind me asking, which ones are not considered reputable. Aka from what you know, is UCLA known to reputable to Ortho directors?

If you don’t mind me asking, which ones are not considered reputable. Aka from what you know, is UCLA known to reputable to Ortho directors?
UCLA, Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, etc. are more of the reputable programs that consistently have their students getting accepted into residency. I cannot speak for the ortho directors, just looking at other dental programs and seeing where and how many of their students are accepted into specialties. I think Columbia is one of the best places to go to dental school if you plan to specialize.

Check out how many of their students match typically - Statistics

UCLA, Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, etc. are more of the reputable programs that consistently have their students getting accepted into residency. I cannot speak for the ortho directors, just looking at other dental programs and seeing where and how many of their students are accepted into specialties. I think Columbia is one of the best places to go to dental school if you plan to specialize.

Check out how many of their students match typically - Statistics
In my opinion, the strongest applicants are often those who rank in the Top 10 in reputable schools, boasting exceptional grades, class rankings, and simultaneously engaging in extensive research and extracurricular activities (ECs). For these applicants, impressive grades and high class rankings serve as distinguishing features alongside their substantial research and EC involvement. Institutions such as UNC and Michigan are known for their rigorous grading systems and competitive class ranks. However, a select few excel within these challenging environments, making them the strongest candidates with the highest chances of acceptance into programs like VCU, Iowa, Houston, and other nearly cost-free 2 to 2.5-year programs.

Yet, these top 10 students often face challenges in building their research and EC involvement due to the priority of maintaining their top rank. Consequently, they usually apply with solely a high GPA and top class rank and maybe some ECs.

Therefore, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Columbia, and UConn stand out as the best schools for specialization due to their Pass/Fail (P/F) and Honors Pass/Pass/Fail (HP/P/F) curricula.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight..
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!! For all the people that match if you could fill this out below it would be extremely helpful for everyone :)

Name of Ortho Program:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
ADAT Score:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked:

Reactions: 5 users
Nothing yet.. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

So we could get an email just anywhere in the next 2 hours? The waiting game continues…

My match list page says “Match results will be available November 20th at 12:00pm ET”, does it say that for anyone else?

Reactions: 3 users
I got my gpr results at 8 am last yr

Does it say that every year and still come out at 8am? Or is it just later this year and we have a few hours?
I don't remember
But each year they send us email saying 12 but still we get it at 8ish

Does it say that every year and still come out at 8am? Or is it just later this year and we have a few hours?
Emails are sent like 8a-10am, and emails aside all results are available in the site at noon I believe!

good luck everybody!!!! also i hear emails for matches dont necessarily all come out at the same time so dont fret if you dont receive one at the same time as others
Maybe it is this case? 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Do you know anyone who got any results?

And the perio thread is a zombie land so I can't check with them

Guys for getting list of post match open spots itll be on the match site only available at 12 pm for us to look? Or will it be updated same time as email?

Guys for getting list of post match open spots itll be on the match site only available at 12 pm for us to look? Or will it be updated same time as email?
I think you have to wait till 12 for post match

Ya believe at noon the site will either show you your matched program or the list of available positions if you don’t match becomes available.