You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**
Started by veryhappylabrador
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
🔥🔥🔥
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For programs requiring GRE, do we have to take it by program deadline, or have the official score report be sent by the deadline? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this questions.
I would assume they want a copy of the score before the deadline, official or otherwise.For programs requiring GRE, do we have to take it by program deadline, or have the official score report be sent by the deadline? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this questions.
It is surprising that many programs now accept ADAT instead of GRE.
In which section of ADEA PASS do people recommend putting Continuing Education courses or other 'supplemental' coursework? The academic experience section seems to be more suitable for formal residency programs (AEGD/GPR/etc), so potentially listing as an 'Extracurricular' ... thoughts?
When is a good time to submit the applications? I know endo applications are generally due by like mid-June at the latest. I would think for ortho roughly 1.5 months before the earliest deadline would be good so some time in late June/early July?
From what I've gathered on SDN and speaking with previous applicants, there is no advantage to submitting earlier than the deadline. That being said, some 'buffer room' would be good to ensure program's receive all of the supplemental materials, etc... so maybe at least 1-2 weeks before the deadline? Someone chime in if I've been misinformed thoughWhen is a good time to submit the applications? I know endo applications are generally due by like mid-June at the latest. I would think for ortho roughly 1.5 months before the earliest deadline would be good so some time in late June/early July?
It’s surprising that many programs required the GRE in the first place.It is surprising that many programs now accept ADAT instead of GRE.
Big Hoss
I would say get it in as early as you feasibly can, but don’t rush it and make sure your whole app is quality before you submit.From what I've gathered on SDN and speaking with previous applicants, there is no advantage to submitting earlier than the deadline. That being said, some 'buffer room' would be good to ensure program's receive all of the supplemental materials, etc... so maybe at least 1-2 weeks before the deadline? Someone chime in if I've been misinformed though
Is there a limit to how long our PS should be (i.e. characters)?
ddsdmd2022
Full Member
Less than 5200 characters according to PASS but it’s just a PDF that you uploadIs there a limit to how long our PS should be (i.e. characters)?
I have a running theory that it's used as a deterrent for those interested in ortho but aren't motivated enough to study/take the GRE.It’s surprising that many programs required the GRE in the first place.
Big Hoss
I've had a couple of friends over the years that would say, "man I would apply to ortho nowadays but I don't want to take the GRE".
Yep, just a hoop for applicants to jump through. It’s a waste of the applicants time and money, but programs just want to see who’ll play their games.I have a running theory that it's used as a deterrent for those interested in ortho but aren't motivated enough to study/take the GRE.
I've had a couple of friends over the years that would say, "man I would apply to ortho nowadays but I don't want to take the GRE".
Big Hoss
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orthodream1
Full Member
Hello! I’m planning on applying this year but just took my GRE and got bummed out from the score. 153 verbal 152 QR and not sure about the written analysis yet. Should I retake? I rank at 20% of my class so far, but hoping that might rise with a nicer GPA this year, have been doing research and working towards publication, have experience in tutoring, have leadership roles in multiple clubs and organizations, involved in community service, and will be TA for 2 classes this year. Looking at last years forum most scores recorded were closer to 160 so I know my scores are on the lower end. please help!
ddsdmd2022
Full Member
Apply broadly and early! Don’t kill yourself with it!Hello! I’m planning on applying this year but just took my GRE and got bummed out from the score. 153 verbal 152 QR and not sure about the written analysis yet. Should I retake? I rank at 20% of my class so far, but hoping that might rise with a nicer GPA this year, have been doing research and working towards publication, have experience in tutoring, have leadership roles in multiple clubs and organizations, involved in community service, and will be TA for 2 classes this year. Looking at last years forum most scores recorded were closer to 160 so I know my scores are on the lower end. please help!
orthodream1
Full Member
Thank you for replying! By broadly, how many schools? I was aiming for 20-ish originally, do I need to increase to 30+?Apply broadly and early! Don’t kill yourself with it!
If so I’m thinking of paying $200 to retake the exam rather than $1000’s with less chance overall. But again not sure I’m seeing things all over the scale with these forums. And I was thinking of submitting early to mid June, would that be good enough?
orthoapplicant3
New Member
Anyone have any updates on these new ortho programs that just recently opened up? Asking about touro and SIU specifically. Have they had their first class yet? And are they accredited?
JengaManga
New Member
Is there a way to send official GRE scores to ADEA PASS? I know some schools request scores be sent directly using their school code but others don't specify. For programs that do not specify, I'm wondering if I just list my scores on PASS or if I need to ask ETS to send the scores to PASS on top of just listing them.
Similarly, some schools ask for INBDE scores but don't state whether to submit through PASS or send direct. Do I just send the score report from the ADA to PASS or is there a school code for the INBDE too?
Similarly, some schools ask for INBDE scores but don't state whether to submit through PASS or send direct. Do I just send the score report from the ADA to PASS or is there a school code for the INBDE too?
According to ADEA PASS, you cannot send official GRE records to them. Only you can write them in the form.Is there a way to send official GRE scores to ADEA PASS? I know some schools request scores be sent directly using their school code but others don't specify. For programs that do not specify, I'm wondering if I just list my scores on PASS or if I need to ask ETS to send the scores to PASS on top of just listing them.
Similarly, some schools ask for INBDE scores but don't state whether to submit through PASS or send direct. Do I just send the score report from the ADA to PASS or is there a school code for the INBDE too?
About INBDE, I think it would be better to check with each of them.
Knowing that applying broadly and without trying to figure out the application process is the right thing to do, are there any programs known to be international student friendly? I would like to focus more on those and then add others based on different criteria. Thanks in advance for your help.
Boston used to be like this until last year that they got 3 from a specific country with double oily tuition.Knowing that applying broadly and without trying to figure out the application process is the right thing to do, are there any programs known to be international student friendly? I would like to focus more on those and then add others based on different criteria. Thanks in advance for your help.
hopefulortho24
New Member
There doesn't seem to be a good place or way to input non-healthcare related community service into the Experiences tab on PASS. Did anyone still enter community service or do they just not want us to include that?
I don’t think that’s too crazy, but you also shouldn’t need that much time to study for it. Hit it hard for a couple of weeks and you should be fine in my opinionIs taking the GRE on July 28th too crazy? My deadlines begin august 15th
Thanks. The only reason I can’t grind for it is I’m also taking boards at the same time and dealing with a lot of exams, on top of preparing my applicationI don’t think that’s too crazy, but you also shouldn’t need that much time to study for it. Hit it hard for a couple of weeks and you should be fine in my opinion
then yes it might be a tad crazy. When are you taking your boards?Thanks. The only reason I can’t grind for it is I’m also taking boards at the same time and dealing with a lot of exams, on top of preparing my application
I’d suggest taking one of the free practice tests on the ets website to see where you’re at with the gre and gauge how much prep you’ll actually need. Good luck!Thanks. The only reason I can’t grind for it is I’m also taking boards at the same time and dealing with a lot of exams, on top of preparing my application
A week before the GRE. So I’m studying for both at the same timethen yes it might be a tad crazy. When are you taking your boards?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck! I don’t think either exam will be that difficult, it’ll just be a busy time. But you got it!A week before the GRE. So I’m studying for both at the same time
I know we need to request official transcripts from our dental school, but does anyone know if we need to either 1) upload unofficial transcripts from undergrad (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, etc.) to PASS or 2) request official transcripts from undergrad universities and have them send it to PASS as well? Thank you!
ddsdmd2022
Full Member
Just official dental and upload unofficial!I know we need to request official transcripts from our dental school, but does anyone know if we need to either 1) upload unofficial transcripts from undergrad (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, etc.) to PASS or 2) request official transcripts from undergrad universities and have them send it to PASS as well? Thank you!
You are only able to upload unofficial undergrad transcripts to ADEA PASS; however, some schools do request official undergrad transcripts sent separately from the University... which is kind of silly to me, but whatever just jump through the hoop lolI know we need to request official transcripts from our dental school, but does anyone know if we need to either 1) upload unofficial transcripts from undergrad (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, etc.) to PASS or 2) request official transcripts from undergrad universities and have them send it to PASS as well? Thank you!
So if I have uploaded my unofficial dental school transcript and had the official dental school transcript sent to PASS, do we also have to upload any unofficial transcripts from undergraduate institutions we attended prior to dental school to PASS, or only to schools that request undergraduate (bachelor’s degree) transcripts individually?Just official dental and upload unofficial!
ddsdmd2022
Full Member
I don’t see the the reason to upload unofficial dental school transcript. Send your official dental one and then upload all the undergraduate ones!
It doesn’t take long, less than a week before I got confirmations, but one thing to keep in mind is that some will have secondary applications/fees as wellHow much time should we allow for processing by PASS when considering deadlines? For instance, the earliest deadline amongst the programs I'm interested in is Aug 1st so when should I submit my PASS app? First week of July?
I guess I didn’t actually answer your question, I think first week of July would be fineIt doesn’t take long, less than a week before I got confirmations, but one thing to keep in mind is that some will have secondary applications/fees as well
2023 Orthodontics application cycle (LAST YEAR'S)
0. X/X ( date of email sent or phone call received for an interview invitation), College name, Interview Date
0. X/X ( date of email sent or phone call received for an interview invitation), College name, Interview Date
- 9/9 (email) University of Oklahoma, October 21st (in person) with social October 20th (night before)
- 8/16 (email) Mayo Clinic 9/30 Virtual
- 8/19 (email) Iowa , In-person social 10/13 and interview 10/14
- 8/22 (email) University of Illinois at Chicago 10/12 or 10/13 or 10/14
- 8/23 (phone call) Loma Linda 10/11 for morning or afternoon interview (in-person).
- 08/26 (email) University of Manitoba, in person 10/3 and 10/4
- 8/28 (email) Tufts, 09/15, 09/16 in-person or virtual if you can't make it; social the day before (details to follow)
- 8/30 (email) Indiana, 10/06, 10/07 in-person, with a social on 10/06
- 9/2 (email) UNLV, 10/7 or 10/14 in-person.
- 9/2 (email) University of Colorado 9/29-10/1 in-person
- 9/6 (email) LSU, either 10/27 or 10/28 in-person, social on 10/27 evening
- 9/9 (phone call) University of Michigan 10/10 or 10/17 (in-person), social night before
- 9/9 (email) UTSA, either 10/7 or 10/21 (in-person), social night before
- 9/9 (email) University of Florida, 10/10 (in person), social night before
- 9/9 (email) University of Tennessee, 10/14 (in person), social night before
- 9/10 (email) University of Washington, 10/10 (in-person), social night before
- 9/12 (phone call) UAB, 10/13 or 10/14 (in-person)
- 9/13 (phone call) University of Nebraska, 10/11 or 10/12 (in-person). Social the evening before.
- 9/13 (email) Harvard University, 10/28 (in-person), social night before
- 9/13 (email) UMKC, 10/17 in person interview with resident social 10/16
- 9/13 (email) OSU 10/10, 10/11 in person interview with resident social 10/9
- 9/14 (call) Albert Einstein interview on October 12th w/ social on the 11th.
- 9/14 (email) St. Barnabas Oct 12 interview with non-mandatory social on the 11th
- 9/15 (email) University of South Carolina Oct 14 or Oct 28 interviews
- 9/15 (email) ASDOH Oct 3 or Oct 4 interviews with social Oct 3
- 9/16 (email) Saint Louis University, 10/11 or 10/12 and 10/19 or 10/20 (in-person). Social the evening before.
- 9/16 (phone call) UNC, 10/24 or 10/25 in person. Social the evening before
- 9/16, 9/23 (email) CTOR (NJ), 9/30, 10/7 interview and social on the 29th.
- 9/16 (email) UCSF, interview on 10/18 in person
- 9/19 (email) Pittsburgh, interview on 10/24 or 10/25 in person.
- 9/19 (email) BU, dates not confirmed by they have in person and online
- 9/20 (email) UOP, interview on 10/17 or 10/18 in person, social night before
- 9/20 (phone call) Texas A&M, 10/25, 10/26, or 10/27 (in-person) with socials offered the night before each date
- 9/20 (email) OHSU, virtual interview on 10/19 or 10/20
- 9/20 (email and phone) Roseman, virtual interview on 10/11 or 10/12
- 9/20, 9/23 (email) Columbia, October 17, 18, 24, or 25 social the night before the date you pick.
- 9/20, 9/23, 9/26 (phone call) Eastman Institute (Rochester), virtual interview several dates offered
- 9/21 (email) Buffalo, October 21 or 24th, social information TBD
- 9/21 (phone-call) Bronxcare, October 10 or 11, social on the 10th
- 9/21 (email) Montefiore NY, Zoom interview and zoom social. On October 11/12th or 13/14th
- 9/21 (email/phone call): Louisville, 10/20 or 10/21 (in person)
- 9/22 (email) NSU in-person interview on October 20th and 24th, social the night before
- 9/22 VCU (email): October 27th (full day) + October 28th (half day)
- 9/22 UCLA (email): October 14th (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM)
- 9/26 (email) University of Minnesota : October 24th (in person) with social the night before.
- 9/26 (phone and email): University of Kentucky, October 24th (in person), with social October 23rd (night before)
- 9/29 (email) University of Detroit Mercy: Nov. 3rd (virtual) or Nov. 4th (in-person) with social the evening of the 3rd.
- 9/29 (email) Penn, October 12th on zoom (there may have been other dates but the email had assigned a date already)
- 9/29 (phone call) UConn, 10/20 or 10/21 (in person), social information TBD
- 9/29 (email): University of Texas at Houston, 10/27 or 10/28 (in person) with socials the night before
- 9/29 (email): University of Maryland, 10/20 (in person) social night before and night of
- 9/30 (email): Rutgrs, 10/21 &10/24 (in person)
- 9/30 (email) Western University, 10/17 (zoom)
- 10/3 (email) Temple, 10/24 and 10/28 (in person) with a social the day before.
- 10/3 (email) UBC, 11/5 (online)
- 10/3 (emal): Case Western, 11/2 PM or 11/3 AM (in person) with social 11/2 evening
- 10/4 (email) West Virginia, 10/30 in person with social 10/30 evening
- 10/4 (phone) Medstar, 10/29 virtual
- 10/6 (email) Stony Brook, 10/25 virtual social, 10/27 (zoom)
- 10/9 (?) Marquette, October 27 or 28
- 10/12 (email) Maimonides 11/8 in-person
- 10/12 (email) NYU October 27 or 28 in- person
- ??? (???) Toronto, October 28th
- 10/18 (email) Georgia School of Orthodontics, Oct 19 - 26th virtual
- 10/19 (email): Jacksonville Oct 24 or 25th, online
- 10/19 (email): Howard, November 3rd
- ??? (???): Augusta, website said they were interviewing at some point in October.
- ??? (???): University of Montreal, two weeks ago
- ??? (???): University of Alberta, October 31st
- 10/26 (email): USC, November 7th
Guys, considering that we have to either apply to match or non match program, wouldn't that make non match programs less competitive? Majority of the applicants apply to match programs. What do you think?
orthodream1
Full Member
You have to be very careful because some match programs require applicants to apply to match-only programs, otherwise they won't consider the applicant. And although it might be less competitive because less people apply, it also has much limited spots, so applicants:spots ratio might be the same across the board, equalizing competitiveness.Guys, considering that we have to either apply to match or non match program, wouldn't that make non match programs less competitive? Majority of the applicants apply to match programs. What do you think?
Last edited:
Felling a little discouraged with my GRE today- 156v/153q. I have solid letters and PS, but my rank is ~30%. Wanted a better GRE score to offset my rank a bit. Was going to apply broadly, but should I bother with applying at this point?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orthodream1
Full Member
If you have great experiences and extracurricular work/research, I would definitely apply. And if you have time and wanna retake the GRE then go ahead. I retook the GRE just couple days ago and barely improved and had similar scores like you. I am accepting my fate with this exam and just focusing on submitting now a nice app and take boards as soon as I can for the schools that require them by deadline. I wouldn't miss a whole year of your life just cause of this stupid exam.Felling a little discouraged with my GRE today- 156v/153q. I have solid letters and PS, but my rank is ~30%. Wanted a better GRE score to offset my rank a bit. Was going to apply broadly, but should I bother with applying at this point?
orthodream1
Full Member
As I'm filling out PASS, should I include dental shadowing experiences from undergrad or should I keep my experiences section exclusive to my time in dental school? Thank you!
Last edited:
we can't we apply to both? Which programs stated that?Guys, considering that we have to either apply to match or non match program, wouldn't that make non match programs less competitive? Majority of the applicants apply to match programs. What do you think?
Quite a few of them state it in their secondary applicationwe can't we apply to both? Which programs stated that?
Is Mayo not taking residents this years? PASS says program is unavailable.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 365
- Views
- 169K
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 237
- Views
- 44K
- Replies
- 784
- Views
- 337K