**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veryhappylabrador

Dog enthusiast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know most programs require INDBE pass before matriculation only, but are there any that require pass before application deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
For programs requiring GRE, do we have to take it by program deadline, or have the official score report be sent by the deadline? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this questions.

For programs requiring GRE, do we have to take it by program deadline, or have the official score report be sent by the deadline? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this questions.
I would assume they want a copy of the score before the deadline, official or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
It is surprising that many programs now accept ADAT instead of GRE.

In which section of ADEA PASS do people recommend putting Continuing Education courses or other 'supplemental' coursework? The academic experience section seems to be more suitable for formal residency programs (AEGD/GPR/etc), so potentially listing as an 'Extracurricular' ... thoughts?

When is a good time to submit the applications? I know endo applications are generally due by like mid-June at the latest. I would think for ortho roughly 1.5 months before the earliest deadline would be good so some time in late June/early July?

When is a good time to submit the applications? I know endo applications are generally due by like mid-June at the latest. I would think for ortho roughly 1.5 months before the earliest deadline would be good so some time in late June/early July?
From what I've gathered on SDN and speaking with previous applicants, there is no advantage to submitting earlier than the deadline. That being said, some 'buffer room' would be good to ensure program's receive all of the supplemental materials, etc... so maybe at least 1-2 weeks before the deadline? Someone chime in if I've been misinformed though

Reactions: 2 users
From what I've gathered on SDN and speaking with previous applicants, there is no advantage to submitting earlier than the deadline. That being said, some 'buffer room' would be good to ensure program's receive all of the supplemental materials, etc... so maybe at least 1-2 weeks before the deadline? Someone chime in if I've been misinformed though
I would say get it in as early as you feasibly can, but don’t rush it and make sure your whole app is quality before you submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s surprising that many programs required the GRE in the first place.

Big Hoss
I have a running theory that it's used as a deterrent for those interested in ortho but aren't motivated enough to study/take the GRE.

I've had a couple of friends over the years that would say, "man I would apply to ortho nowadays but I don't want to take the GRE".

I have a running theory that it's used as a deterrent for those interested in ortho but aren't motivated enough to study/take the GRE.

I've had a couple of friends over the years that would say, "man I would apply to ortho nowadays but I don't want to take the GRE".
Yep, just a hoop for applicants to jump through. It’s a waste of the applicants time and money, but programs just want to see who’ll play their games.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I’m planning on applying this year but just took my GRE and got bummed out from the score. 153 verbal 152 QR and not sure about the written analysis yet. Should I retake? I rank at 20% of my class so far, but hoping that might rise with a nicer GPA this year, have been doing research and working towards publication, have experience in tutoring, have leadership roles in multiple clubs and organizations, involved in community service, and will be TA for 2 classes this year. Looking at last years forum most scores recorded were closer to 160 so I know my scores are on the lower end. please help!

Hello! I’m planning on applying this year but just took my GRE and got bummed out from the score. 153 verbal 152 QR and not sure about the written analysis yet. Should I retake? I rank at 20% of my class so far, but hoping that might rise with a nicer GPA this year, have been doing research and working towards publication, have experience in tutoring, have leadership roles in multiple clubs and organizations, involved in community service, and will be TA for 2 classes this year. Looking at last years forum most scores recorded were closer to 160 so I know my scores are on the lower end. please help!
Apply broadly and early! Don’t kill yourself with it!

Apply broadly and early! Don’t kill yourself with it!
Thank you for replying! By broadly, how many schools? I was aiming for 20-ish originally, do I need to increase to 30+?
If so I’m thinking of paying $200 to retake the exam rather than $1000’s with less chance overall. But again not sure I’m seeing things all over the scale with these forums. And I was thinking of submitting early to mid June, would that be good enough?

Anyone have any updates on these new ortho programs that just recently opened up? Asking about touro and SIU specifically. Have they had their first class yet? And are they accredited?

Is there a way to send official GRE scores to ADEA PASS? I know some schools request scores be sent directly using their school code but others don't specify. For programs that do not specify, I'm wondering if I just list my scores on PASS or if I need to ask ETS to send the scores to PASS on top of just listing them.

Similarly, some schools ask for INBDE scores but don't state whether to submit through PASS or send direct. Do I just send the score report from the ADA to PASS or is there a school code for the INBDE too?

Is there a way to send official GRE scores to ADEA PASS? I know some schools request scores be sent directly using their school code but others don't specify. For programs that do not specify, I'm wondering if I just list my scores on PASS or if I need to ask ETS to send the scores to PASS on top of just listing them.

Similarly, some schools ask for INBDE scores but don't state whether to submit through PASS or send direct. Do I just send the score report from the ADA to PASS or is there a school code for the INBDE too?
According to ADEA PASS, you cannot send official GRE records to them. Only you can write them in the form.
About INBDE, I think it would be better to check with each of them.

Knowing that applying broadly and without trying to figure out the application process is the right thing to do, are there any programs known to be international student friendly? I would like to focus more on those and then add others based on different criteria. Thanks in advance for your help.

Knowing that applying broadly and without trying to figure out the application process is the right thing to do, are there any programs known to be international student friendly? I would like to focus more on those and then add others based on different criteria. Thanks in advance for your help.
Boston used to be like this until last year that they got 3 from a specific country with double oily tuition.

Hi everyone,
I have a question how much do you think GRE score is important? I got 147 for quantitive and verbal. But the rest of my application is good, do you think I can apply and retake it? Please give me your advice, I appreciate it

There doesn't seem to be a good place or way to input non-healthcare related community service into the Experiences tab on PASS. Did anyone still enter community service or do they just not want us to include that?

Is taking the GRE on July 28th too crazy? My deadlines begin august 15th

Is taking the GRE on July 28th too crazy? My deadlines begin august 15th
I don’t think that’s too crazy, but you also shouldn’t need that much time to study for it. Hit it hard for a couple of weeks and you should be fine in my opinion

I don’t think that’s too crazy, but you also shouldn’t need that much time to study for it. Hit it hard for a couple of weeks and you should be fine in my opinion
Thanks. The only reason I can’t grind for it is I’m also taking boards at the same time and dealing with a lot of exams, on top of preparing my application

Thanks. The only reason I can’t grind for it is I’m also taking boards at the same time and dealing with a lot of exams, on top of preparing my application
then yes it might be a tad crazy. When are you taking your boards?

I’d suggest taking one of the free practice tests on the ets website to see where you’re at with the gre and gauge how much prep you’ll actually need. Good luck!

I know we need to request official transcripts from our dental school, but does anyone know if we need to either 1) upload unofficial transcripts from undergrad (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, etc.) to PASS or 2) request official transcripts from undergrad universities and have them send it to PASS as well? Thank you!

I know we need to request official transcripts from our dental school, but does anyone know if we need to either 1) upload unofficial transcripts from undergrad (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, etc.) to PASS or 2) request official transcripts from undergrad universities and have them send it to PASS as well? Thank you!
Just official dental and upload unofficial!

You are only able to upload unofficial undergrad transcripts to ADEA PASS; however, some schools do request official undergrad transcripts sent separately from the University... which is kind of silly to me, but whatever just jump through the hoop lol

Hi everyone, is ot better to mention my class rank in the institution evaluation form or it is better to send to the program separately? I am among 12% of the class

For which programs do the INDBE need to be in by their application deadlines and which programs and when is the deadlines?

Just official dental and upload unofficial!
So if I have uploaded my unofficial dental school transcript and had the official dental school transcript sent to PASS, do we also have to upload any unofficial transcripts from undergraduate institutions we attended prior to dental school to PASS, or only to schools that request undergraduate (bachelor’s degree) transcripts individually?

I don’t see the the reason to upload unofficial dental school transcript. Send your official dental one and then upload all the undergraduate ones!

How much time should we allow for processing by PASS when considering deadlines? For instance, the earliest deadline amongst the programs I'm interested in is Aug 1st so when should I submit my PASS app? First week of July?

How much time should we allow for processing by PASS when considering deadlines? For instance, the earliest deadline amongst the programs I'm interested in is Aug 1st so when should I submit my PASS app? First week of July?
It doesn’t take long, less than a week before I got confirmations, but one thing to keep in mind is that some will have secondary applications/fees as well

It doesn’t take long, less than a week before I got confirmations, but one thing to keep in mind is that some will have secondary applications/fees as well
I guess I didn’t actually answer your question, I think first week of July would be fine

2023 Orthodontics application cycle (LAST YEAR'S)

0. X/X ( date of email sent or phone call received for an interview invitation), College name, Interview Date
  1. 9/9 (email) University of Oklahoma, October 21st (in person) with social October 20th (night before)
  2. 8/16 (email) Mayo Clinic 9/30 Virtual
  3. 8/19 (email) Iowa , In-person social 10/13 and interview 10/14
  4. 8/22 (email) University of Illinois at Chicago 10/12 or 10/13 or 10/14
  5. 8/23 (phone call) Loma Linda 10/11 for morning or afternoon interview (in-person).
  6. 08/26 (email) University of Manitoba, in person 10/3 and 10/4
  7. 8/28 (email) Tufts, 09/15, 09/16 in-person or virtual if you can't make it; social the day before (details to follow)
  8. 8/30 (email) Indiana, 10/06, 10/07 in-person, with a social on 10/06
  9. 9/2 (email) UNLV, 10/7 or 10/14 in-person.
  10. 9/2 (email) University of Colorado 9/29-10/1 in-person
  11. 9/6 (email) LSU, either 10/27 or 10/28 in-person, social on 10/27 evening
  12. 9/9 (phone call) University of Michigan 10/10 or 10/17 (in-person), social night before
  13. 9/9 (email) UTSA, either 10/7 or 10/21 (in-person), social night before
  14. 9/9 (email) University of Florida, 10/10 (in person), social night before
  15. 9/9 (email) University of Tennessee, 10/14 (in person), social night before
  16. 9/10 (email) University of Washington, 10/10 (in-person), social night before
  17. 9/12 (phone call) UAB, 10/13 or 10/14 (in-person)
  18. 9/13 (phone call) University of Nebraska, 10/11 or 10/12 (in-person). Social the evening before.
  19. 9/13 (email) Harvard University, 10/28 (in-person), social night before
  20. 9/13 (email) UMKC, 10/17 in person interview with resident social 10/16
  21. 9/13 (email) OSU 10/10, 10/11 in person interview with resident social 10/9
  22. 9/14 (call) Albert Einstein interview on October 12th w/ social on the 11th.
  23. 9/14 (email) St. Barnabas Oct 12 interview with non-mandatory social on the 11th
  24. 9/15 (email) University of South Carolina Oct 14 or Oct 28 interviews
  25. 9/15 (email) ASDOH Oct 3 or Oct 4 interviews with social Oct 3
  26. 9/16 (email) Saint Louis University, 10/11 or 10/12 and 10/19 or 10/20 (in-person). Social the evening before.
  27. 9/16 (phone call) UNC, 10/24 or 10/25 in person. Social the evening before
  28. 9/16, 9/23 (email) CTOR (NJ), 9/30, 10/7 interview and social on the 29th.
  29. 9/16 (email) UCSF, interview on 10/18 in person
  30. 9/19 (email) Pittsburgh, interview on 10/24 or 10/25 in person.
  31. 9/19 (email) BU, dates not confirmed by they have in person and online
  32. 9/20 (email) UOP, interview on 10/17 or 10/18 in person, social night before
  33. 9/20 (phone call) Texas A&M, 10/25, 10/26, or 10/27 (in-person) with socials offered the night before each date
  34. 9/20 (email) OHSU, virtual interview on 10/19 or 10/20
  35. 9/20 (email and phone) Roseman, virtual interview on 10/11 or 10/12
  36. 9/20, 9/23 (email) Columbia, October 17, 18, 24, or 25 social the night before the date you pick.
  37. 9/20, 9/23, 9/26 (phone call) Eastman Institute (Rochester), virtual interview several dates offered
  38. 9/21 (email) Buffalo, October 21 or 24th, social information TBD
  39. 9/21 (phone-call) Bronxcare, October 10 or 11, social on the 10th
  40. 9/21 (email) Montefiore NY, Zoom interview and zoom social. On October 11/12th or 13/14th
  41. 9/21 (email/phone call): Louisville, 10/20 or 10/21 (in person)
  42. 9/22 (email) NSU in-person interview on October 20th and 24th, social the night before
  43. 9/22 VCU (email): October 27th (full day) + October 28th (half day)
  44. 9/22 UCLA (email): October 14th (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM)
  45. 9/26 (email) University of Minnesota : October 24th (in person) with social the night before.
  46. 9/26 (phone and email): University of Kentucky, October 24th (in person), with social October 23rd (night before)
  47. 9/29 (email) University of Detroit Mercy: Nov. 3rd (virtual) or Nov. 4th (in-person) with social the evening of the 3rd.
  48. 9/29 (email) Penn, October 12th on zoom (there may have been other dates but the email had assigned a date already)
  49. 9/29 (phone call) UConn, 10/20 or 10/21 (in person), social information TBD
  50. 9/29 (email): University of Texas at Houston, 10/27 or 10/28 (in person) with socials the night before
  51. 9/29 (email): University of Maryland, 10/20 (in person) social night before and night of
  52. 9/30 (email): Rutgrs, 10/21 &10/24 (in person)
  53. 9/30 (email) Western University, 10/17 (zoom)
  54. 10/3 (email) Temple, 10/24 and 10/28 (in person) with a social the day before.
  55. 10/3 (email) UBC, 11/5 (online)
  56. 10/3 (emal): Case Western, 11/2 PM or 11/3 AM (in person) with social 11/2 evening
  57. 10/4 (email) West Virginia, 10/30 in person with social 10/30 evening
  58. 10/4 (phone) Medstar, 10/29 virtual
  59. 10/6 (email) Stony Brook, 10/25 virtual social, 10/27 (zoom)
  60. 10/9 (?) Marquette, October 27 or 28
  61. 10/12 (email) Maimonides 11/8 in-person
  62. 10/12 (email) NYU October 27 or 28 in- person
  63. ??? (???) Toronto, October 28th
  64. 10/18 (email) Georgia School of Orthodontics, Oct 19 - 26th virtual
  65. 10/19 (email): Jacksonville Oct 24 or 25th, online
  66. 10/19 (email): Howard, November 3rd
  67. ??? (???): Augusta, website said they were interviewing at some point in October.
  68. ??? (???): University of Montreal, two weeks ago
  69. ??? (???): University of Alberta, October 31st
  70. 10/26 (email): USC, November 7th

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, considering that we have to either apply to match or non match program, wouldn't that make non match programs less competitive? Majority of the applicants apply to match programs. What do you think?

Guys, considering that we have to either apply to match or non match program, wouldn't that make non match programs less competitive? Majority of the applicants apply to match programs. What do you think?
You have to be very careful because some match programs require applicants to apply to match-only programs, otherwise they won't consider the applicant. And although it might be less competitive because less people apply, it also has much limited spots, so applicants:spots ratio might be the same across the board, equalizing competitiveness.

Last edited:
Felling a little discouraged with my GRE today- 156v/153q. I have solid letters and PS, but my rank is ~30%. Wanted a better GRE score to offset my rank a bit. Was going to apply broadly, but should I bother with applying at this point?

Felling a little discouraged with my GRE today- 156v/153q. I have solid letters and PS, but my rank is ~30%. Wanted a better GRE score to offset my rank a bit. Was going to apply broadly, but should I bother with applying at this point?
If you have great experiences and extracurricular work/research, I would definitely apply. And if you have time and wanna retake the GRE then go ahead. I retook the GRE just couple days ago and barely improved and had similar scores like you. I am accepting my fate with this exam and just focusing on submitting now a nice app and take boards as soon as I can for the schools that require them by deadline. I wouldn't miss a whole year of your life just cause of this stupid exam.

As I'm filling out PASS, should I include dental shadowing experiences from undergrad or should I keep my experiences section exclusive to my time in dental school? Thank you!

Last edited:
we can't we apply to both? Which programs stated that?