**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Results are out! I’ve matched!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I matched to my first choice.
Guys that are not matched and reading this, I didn’t match last year. Don’t worry. Next year, the world will be yours.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive anything yet.
I am worried now

I also did not MATCH:cryi:. Congratulations to all who have.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I want to see my match result in the website😃 I don't trust the email. OCD!😃
When is it available on the Match website? 12 pm?

for the post match, should we apply at noon or can we apply later? Is it fcfs? Does anyone know how it works?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the post match, should we apply at noon or can we apply later? Is it fcfs? Does anyone know how it works?
assuming there will be spots open.. very rare except for Georgia

I think as soon as the list comes out, you must contact the programs ASAP directly and they will tell you what they want you to do (e.g. submit an application to them via PASS).

Reactions: 1 user
what do we write in post match email
like a personal statment
what exactly?

Me too! Matched to my first after not matching last year!!!

Last edited:
2 at Tufts, then they disapeared in less than half an hour, so I thought it was a glitch
It was not a glitch.
I talked to them after post match appeared.
They were working on it and they filled the positions in a few days.
Later they sent an email to me that the positions are taken.

It was not a glitch.
I talked to them after post match appeared.
They were working on it and they filled the positions in a few days.
Later they sent an email to me that the positions are taken.
Did you email them or call, because I emailed and they didn't reply at all.

Did any who interviewed at St. Louis enjoy it there? They take 14 residents so I’m not sure if that’s technically a good to bad thing lol

I didn't match. Any international trained orthodontitist prepare for the next cycle?Count me in!

• Sad
Name of Ortho Program: a 2 year Midwest program
Dental School Attended: east coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: AEGD
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass
ADAT Score:
GRE Score:
quant 164, verbal 152, awa 4.0 (English is not my first language)
Class Rank: 20%
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: UiC, tufts (but didn't mention it on my resume or PASS)
Research: 3 Ortho research projects all after dental school
Extracurriculars: tons of volunteer and leadership
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 36 !/ 9/ 9/ 8

So , my GPA was 3.7 and I was top 20% of my class. Always liked Ortho never felt confident enough to apply for it. I had 3 Endo related publications during my pre-doc so I applied to Endo last year thinking that I was super competitive for Endo. Didn't get an admission (cause I simply couldn't articulate a response to "why endo?") As I was crying over my failure someone said now that you don't have anything to loose why don't you apply for ortho that you always liked! I stared my Ortho application Sep 1st last year, got one interview (ALL I NEEDED TO FEEL CONFIDENT IN MY RESUME) didn't match, started doing research with Ortho dep at the dental school I was adjuncting. Wrote one manuscript, got a letter of recommendation from the head of the department, went to AAO , made tons of connections. Took the GRE 3 times. Applied to 36 programs (it was really unnecessary but I had nothing else to lose, and mainly because my stats weren't great so why not!) got 9 interviews and matched to my #1. Don't lose hope guys.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
1st cycle, didn't match, only had one interview. Practicing GP for 2.5 years. Graduated with a 3.77 GPA and ranked 38/129. Didn't apply for ortho while in school for family reasons. What can I do now to increase my odds for the next cycle?

There was one position open at Texas and it is gone in 15 mins.. This is really crazy.
I called exatly at 12 and nobody picked up.

Name of Ortho Program: Boston University
Dental School Attended: University of New England College of Dental Medicine
Year Earned DMD/DDS: will graduate in 2024
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none
Class Rank: P/F
GRE: verbal: 165, Quant: 155, awa 4.5
Match/Non-Match: Match
Research: landscape analysis of health services available to children with disabilities in Guatemala; oral health knowledge, habits, and quality of life for the deaf and hard-of-hearing community; environmentally friendly alternatives in dentistry
Extracurriculars: UNE Student Trustee Liaison, Vice President of my class for 4 years, founded the Dentist Anesthesiologist Club for Students at UNE, founded a non-profit, took part in multiple interprofessional projects on campus
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: I applied to 30 programs (bc my GRE scores weren't too hot and my dental program is newer), received 2 interviews, ranked 2 sites, matched to my first site

Reactions: 2 users
San Antonio, I called the director and the phone kept on going to voice mail.
I bet they had someone in mind, they can't choose someone and remove themselves from the list in 15 mins

Yeah I emailed the program director and I received an email saying the spot was filled about 10min ago.

• Sad
To all who didn't MATCH,
We're in there like swimwear...next year!!!

Any suggestions for someone who is a practicing GP and needing to beef up their resume?

Name of Ortho Program: Southern US school
Dental School Attended: Other Southern US school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: none, working as GP
Class Rank: Top 10
GRE: Verbal: 163, Quant: 170, Writing: 5.0
Match/Non-Match: Match
Research: 3 projects, 2 publications, none ortho-related
Extracurriculars: Psi Omega, ASDA, dental volunteering during school and in practice, no ortho-related activities besides shadowing in private office
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 23/7/7/7.

Name of Ortho Program: State school in the east
Dental School Attended: Midwestern, AZ
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: AEGD (Military)
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass
GRE Score: 162/165/4.5
Class Rank: 25%
Match/Non-Match: match only
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: undergrad, non-dental related, no publications
Extracurriculars: military leadership, various volunteering positions
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 26/3/3

Hopefully this is helpful to someone. Feel free to DM me. I’m more than happy to chat about my experiences applying and interviewing, as well as my advice. Congrats to those that matched, and good luck to those that didn’t. Don’t give up if this is something you really want to do!

Did any who interviewed at St. Louis enjoy it there? They take 14 residents so I’m not sure if that’s technically a good to bad thing lol
For what it’s worth, I have several friends that graduated from there and loved it

I was adjuncting at the local dental school and found my way to Ortho dep
But there is no single correct way. I think the Ortho letter that I got played a greater role than the research itself. Most of the 2 year programs don't care about research that much

Name of Ortho Program: One of the programs in the Southern California region
Dental School Attended: Southern School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2024
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass (I took the INBDE)
GRE Score: 152/150/4.5
Class Rank: 25%
Match/Non-Match: Match only
Externship(s)/where: Case Western (did a one day externship here, received an invite from here afterwards)
Research: Three research projects in dental school (one survey, one clinical chart review, one traditional - all dental related)
Extracurriculars: President of multiple clubs, attended many (10+) conferences, volunteering, research, part time job (worked on the weekends)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 20/4/4

As someone who did not have the best GRE score and was not in the top 20% (my gpa was 3.60) of my class, I was lucky enough to match into my top choice today. I am a firm believer that your application is holistically looked at regardless of the program (two or three year). Knowing I would not be in the top of my class, I intentionally made it my mission to serve in many leadership roles, attend conferences, and take on several research projects to boost the look of my application. In addition, I was fortunate to finish my graduation requirements during my third year of dental school. Finishing my requirements early + my extensive ECs led me to making great connections with faculty. I believe my letters of rec are what really got me interviews. It’s not all about grades in my opinion. Good grades, an okay GRE (this doesn’t matter IMO), strong ECs, strong LORs and you’ll get interviews. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users