**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is no chance to match at the less desirable program if you are able to match at one of your 4 more desirable options. To answer your question, ranking this option will serve as insurance that you go somewhere (assuming you are able to match there).

The rules of the Match are quite simple: rank all acceptable programs in order of true preference. You will not match to a less “desired” option unless you are truly unable to be matched to a more desired one
thanks for clarifying

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first time participating in the MATCH process. As far as I understand, I need to complete and certify my ranking list; that is all, correct? Additionally, I've noticed there is an "interview list" that displays scheduled interviews, but it seems this list isn't commonly utilized. Is my understanding accurate?
This is my first time participating in the MATCH process. As far as I understand, I need to complete and certify my ranking list; that is all, correct? Additionally, I've noticed there is an "interview list" that displays scheduled interviews, but it seems this list isn't commonly utilized. Is my understanding accurate?
I have the same question. What should we do with interview list?

Reactions: 1 user
The Interview list on Match doesn't mean anything...just rank and certify..

Reactions: 1 users
When compared to a cheaper 3-year program, are the more expensive (100k+ total tuition) 2-year programs still worth it financially? I understand the extra year of income is favorable but just wondering. Would love opinions on this!

When compared to a cheaper 3-year program, are the more expensive (100k+ total tuition) 2-year programs still worth it financially? I understand the extra year of income is favorable but just wondering. Would love opinions on this!
What is the tuition and fee for the 3-year program? Is there a stipend available? Can you attain in-state status after one year? Additionally, what is the average monthly cost of a studio?

I suggest factoring in all these considerations and multiplying the annual cost of attendance by 1.08, accounting for an anticipated 8% increase due to potential future US federal loans.

Paying $50k to $100k more for a program doesn't merely mean an additional $50k to $100k. Over an extended payment period, this might equate to more like $150k to $300k extra.

However, if you intend to aggressively pay off loans and are open to living anywhere, you could potentially earn around $300k to $350k per year. Your take-home pay would amount to $200k to $220k, allowing you to allocate $150k to $180k per year towards loan repayment. 8% loan could be refinanced to lower rate too.

Again everyone is different Just my 2 cents. I can be located anywhere because what I learn after attending most of my interviews is that all programs are better than dental school.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but to rank you just search every program you interviewed at and rank them making sure its the right one and then you pay right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything

This might be a dumb question but to rank you just search every program you interviewed at and rank them making sure its the right one and then you pay right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything
You pay first to register..how programs know your match number? Because you should have registered earlier and put it on Adea Pass

Last edited:
So now.. the waiting game..

For the people who didn’t match in the past and interviewed this cycle, why do you think it didn’t work out for you? Did you do anything differently this time?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the match website are the schools you interviewed at supposed to show up, or did you have to search for them?

I assume with the Match deadline coming tomorrow, a good number of the non-Match programs have sent out acceptances? Anyone care to share so we can keep the list updated?

Is there a high chance of matching at your second or third if your first choice doesn’t rank you high?

Friends, help me rank UIC and Tufts . What are your thoughts?
Just my 2 cents, I would rank Tufts over UIC.

Tufts: 2 year program, $320k, Boston
UIC: 3 year program, $250k, Chicago

Reactions: 2 users
This week is going to take forever!!! It would be great if the match would just come out on tuesday the 14th.

Make sure to certify your rank.
Best of luck everyone.
Hopefully we match
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

So as long as we submit our ranked programs on the Match site and have the green bar at the top saying the list has been certified, we don’t have to do anything further after that and just wait until the 20th?

Why I am paranoid and I wanna go and check if it is green again?

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know what time match results officially come out? I thought that it was at 8am normally, but it said 12pm when I was submitting my rank order list. Also, do we find out where we match in the same email?

Does anyone know what time match results officially come out? I thought that it was at 8am normally, but it said 12pm when I was submitting my rank order list. Also, do we find out where we match in the same email?
It will be sent around 8 am est and it will either say you matched or didn’t. Then you login if you do match, and it will be there!

It will be sent around 8 am est and it will either say you matched or didn’t. Then you login if you do match, and it will be there!
Last year I received the match email at 7:17am CST (so right after 8am EST). The email itself will tell you where you matched (or at least it did last year), you do not have to go on the match website unless you are trying to find out which schools have postmatch spots later on in the day. They say you will receive it "by 12 EST" incase the email comes later, but the past few years I've heard it has always come out slightly after 8am EST.

Last year I received the match email at 7:17am CST (so right after 8am EST). The email itself will tell you where you matched (or at least it did last year), you do not have to go on the match website unless you are trying to find out which schools have postmatch spots later on in the day. They say you will receive it "by 12 EST" incase the email comes later, but the past few years I've heard it has always come out slightly after 8am EST.
For post match spots that may be unfilled after the match, does one contact the program(s) to show interest only if they have already been interviewed there, or is it open to anyone even if they haven’t been interviewed/applied?

I am applying next year. What are some of the top or reputable programs out there?

I know all programs are difficult to get into but I am curious what are the highly sought out places. I’m guessing Michigan, UNC, but not sure of the others.

I am applying next year. What are some of the top or reputable programs out there?

I know all programs are difficult to get into but I am curious what are the highly sought out places. I’m guessing Michigan, UNC, but not sure of the others.
2 year and cheap programs

UNC, Michigan, UCSF, Harvard, UConn, UCLA, and others are three-year research programs, ideal for individuals aiming to pursue careers in academia.

VCU, Iowa, Oklahoma, UAB, Augusta, Temple, and other 2 to 2.5-year cost-effective programs are often ideal for individuals aspiring to pursue private practice careers. Not only are they shorter, but they also typically involve seeing more patients, providing a stronger preparation for faster-paced private practice settings.

Any advice for someone looking to apply for the next cycle?

General dentist with 16 years of experience. Took the boards before they were Pass/Fail, have not taken the GRE yet. I wouldn't even know how to get an institutional evaluation letter -- the Dean of my dental school has long since been replaced and any professors that may have remembered me have either moved onto other schools or are, sadly, not with us anymore.

Does anyone know of any programs that may give preference, however slight, to practicing dentists as opposed to newly graduated dentists?

Thanks!

UNC, Michigan, UCSF, Harvard, UConn, UCLA, and others are three-year research programs, ideal for individuals aiming to pursue careers in academia.

VCU, Iowa, Oklahoma, UAB, Augusta, Temple, and other 2 to 2.5-year cost-effective programs are often ideal for individuals aspiring to pursue private practice careers. Not only are they shorter, but they also typically involve seeing more patients, providing a stronger preparation for faster-paced private practice settings.
Any thoughts on Saint Louis, Houston, A&M, and UMKC in terms of program quality and how competitive you need to be to get an interview?

Any thoughts on Saint Louis, Houston, A&M, and UMKC in terms of program quality and how competitive you need to be to get an interview?

You would need to check their cost, length, and the number of residents they take. Generally, the lower these numbers, the more competitive the programs are. ADEA PASS® Program Finder

Competitive programs interview about 10% of their applicants, which is about 5-10 times more than the number of residents they accept.

All the programs you listed are high-quality programs and therefore are very competitive.

Last edited:

General dentist with 16 years of experience. Took the boards before they were Pass/Fail, have not taken the GRE yet. I wouldn't even know how to get an institutional evaluation letter -- the Dean of my dental school has long since been replaced and any professors that may have remembered me have either moved onto other schools or are, sadly, not with us anymore.

Does anyone know of any programs that may give preference, however slight, to practicing dentists as opposed to newly graduated dentists?

Thanks!
I think GME (graduate medical education) programs are hospital-based programs that tend to prefer applicants with years of work experience.

Some of them even require GPR/AEGD or a minimum of 2 years of work experience.
FAQs

As a current D4, among the 6 programs where I did not get interviews, 4 were GME hospital-based programs even though these 4 places did not require GPR/AEGD or work experience.

Last edited:
For post match spots that may be unfilled after the match, does one contact the program(s) to show interest only if they have already been interviewed there, or is it open to anyone even if they haven’t been interviewed/applied?
It is open to everyone. You typically would contact the program directly, however with so many applicants it isn't overly likely to actually get in touch with anyone. Last year (other than GSO) there was only one available post match spot. I called and left a voicemail and sent an email to the program director, I did get an email back about a week later that just said "thanks". From my understanding of people who have been successful with post match, it is more common that you have already applied but did not interview or you know someone who vouches for you at that program.

If you interviewed and the school had a post match spot, that would pretty much mean you either chose to take them off or forgot to put them on your rank list, or they chose not to rank you. I don't think its a bad idea to still reach out if they have a spot, but I would think its even more unlikely for them to give you a post match spot.

About St. Louis I have heard that you do not get many patients.
Texas programs usually prefer Texas people.
UMKC no idea.

Thanks!
It depends how much you are serious about it. Give your best shot by taking GRE and applying as many schools as you can. However, because of the competetive nature of this process, my advice is apply for an orthodontic fellowship program meanwhile, in case you did not succeed to get in somewhere in the upcoming cycle, you will increase your chance to be matched for the next cycle.

I was told by a faculty at Houston that they received 300 applications this past cycle. I think he said they only interviewed 30 candidates.

It depends how much you are serious about it. Give your best shot by taking GRE and applying as many schools as you can. However, because of the competetive nature of this process, my advice is apply for an orthodontic fellowship program meanwhile, in case you did not succeed to get in somewhere in the upcoming cycle, you will increase your chance to be matched for the next cycle.
Is there a comprehensive list of the orthodontic fellowships that are offered at different schools and the cost?

Question for anyone that has applied before or is currently applying to Ortho… do any of you regret choosing/not choosing a P/F dental school?

I regret not going to a p/f school after seeing HOW MANY of p/f students get interviews while a 3.7 from a very toxic school doesn't appeal to most of the programs.

Is it too late to drop a school from the list already submitted
It’s nice to see I’m not the only one with cold feet about their rank list..

That being said, I’m 99% sure that everything is beyond finalized. In fact, the algorithm was likely ran yesterday or earlier and they’re just double checking email distributions, etc.

Try to recognize that there was a reason for your ranking and that matching anywhere is an honor in itself. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users