**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only had one interview and matched - giving hope out there for anyone reading this thread next year that it can be done! Congrats to all that matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Did any who interviewed at St. Louis enjoy it there? They take 14 residents so I’m not sure if that’s technically a good to bad thing lol
SLU was the first orthodontic program ever and I've heard great things about their curriculum as well :)

Reactions: 1 users
Name of Ortho Program: Southern Program
Dental School Attended: Midwest Program
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2024
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Passed INBDE
GRE Score: 165/156/4.0
Class Rank: Top 10%, ~3.9 GPA
Match/Non-Match: Match only
Externship(s)/where: One one-day externship (I did not receive an interview there...)
Research: Two research projects in dental school, one with publication upcoming, one ortho related
Extracurriculars: Service-learning outreach, academic leadership positions (nothing extremely involved)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 31/7/7

First cycle applying, matched first choice. Make an interesting personal statement and make an impact during your interviews. Focus on what you have that other applicants may not have to make you stand out. Being a very well-rounded applicant is far more important than simply your class rank or that you were class president, etc. Try to be a good fit and then find a good fit. APPLY BROADLY! Many people who I met that did not match their first cycle didn't apply to enough programs.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who matched, anyone know how post match works out?

Can I apply to GPRs still and which ones focus on ortho? And how can I get in the following year im devastated

• Sad
I matched to my first choice.
Guys that are not matched and reading this, I didn’t match last year. Don’t worry. Next year, the world will be yours.
I didn’t match last year either. Devastating! This year MATCHED to my first choice! Don’t give up!

Did anyone receive the letter from the school they matched at? when do they usually send it? Also, when do we have to pay the tuition of our first year by?

Did anyone receive the letter from the school they matched at? when do they usually send it? Also, when do we have to pay the tuition of our first year by?
I didn’t receive a letter, but got a congratulatory email and a call from the program director. Not sure about tuition- hoping to use GI bill if anyone has guidance with that?

I didn’t receive a letter, but got a congratulatory email and a call from the program director. Not sure about tuition- hoping to use GI bill if anyone has guidance with that?
Do you think we should contact the program we matched at? I thought they would be sending a letter or something confirming things with us

Members don't see this ad :)
Name of Ortho Program: Southern program
Dental School Attended: Different Southern program
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
Past few years
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
Nope
International Student (yes/no):
No
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Pass/Pass
ADAT Score:
N/A
GRE Score:
162VR/163QR/5.0W
Class Rank:
Top 10%
Match/Non-Match:
Match
Externship(s)/where:
Two one-day visits (interviewed at both)
Research:
Two projects during and after dental school (one ortho & one unrelated project), no publications
Extracurriculars:
Class leadership, finance club leadership, tutoring, typical community service activities, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 23/15/9/9

Due to family circumstances, I practiced general dentistry for a bit of time before applying. I'm very grateful to have matched at an amazing program, especially after meeting so many awesome applicants on the trail this year! One small piece of advice I'll give to future applicants is that while class rank is obviously important, it is definitely not the only thing. The ortho community is a very small world, and people often underestimate the weight that a good rec letter can carry. Showing a true commitment to the field and having an "all in" mentality can go a long way in helping to land interviews. Also one last thing to note.... the whole process is very expensive, so plan accordingly. Just to give some rough ballpark estimates, I spent ~$7500 throughout the process between the application and travel costs (~3K to apply to 23 programs including supplementals, etc, and ~$4500 for everything else including buying interview attire, dry cleaning, plane tickets, rental cars, etc while interviewing at 9 programs). Hope this helps someone out!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone personally know someone who matched post-match? Do you know the reason why the spot opened up? Trying to hear if it’s even remotely realistic or not. I’m not getting my hopes up for sure, but a few people I’ve talked to about not matching said, “My friend got a spot because XYZ”

• Sad
Does anyone personally know someone who matched post-match? Do you know the reason why the spot opened up? Trying to hear if it’s even remotely realistic or not. I’m not getting my hopes up for sure, but a few people I’ve talked to about not matching said, “My friend got a spot because XYZ”
I do know someone who this personally happened to. Due to unforeseen circumstances, a spot opened up at a smaller ortho residency 1-2 weeks before the ortho program started and the school called the individual and gave them the spot (They already interviewed the person).

Edit: I don't think it is realistic to expect this to happen. I'm sure it happens every year to at least 1-2 individuals, but the chances of you taking their spot are so small that it isn't even worth thinking about. I would focus on ways to make my application more competitive for the next cycle or even consider GSO.

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest
Dental School Attended: The best program in the Middle East
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Ortho residency back home
International Student (yes/no): yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: INBDE passed
ADAT Score: -
GRE Score: 320, 4.0
Class Rank: 10%
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: one-year internship same program that I got accepted.
Research: 15 patents, publications and presentations in various occasions all on ortho
Extracurriculars: sports, charity, 4 languages
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 7/3/3/1

I applied last year blindly and didn’t match. But this year I matched my first choice.
For those are you who are internationals and interested in Ortho, impossible is not a fact, it’s an imaginary word. Perseverance and hard work will pay off. It wasn’t easy for me to attend an internship program both financially and time-wise but I had only one agenda and that was becoming an ortho resident in the US.
Don’t miss Ortho gathering and conferences since you can build so many connections and opportunities on it. ESPECIALLY, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ATTENDING THE AAO FOLKS!
Wish you all the best.

I do know someone who this personally happened to. Due to unforeseen circumstances, a spot opened up at a smaller ortho residency 1-2 weeks before the ortho program started and the school called the individual and gave them the spot (They already interviewed the person).

Edit: I don't think it is realistic to expect this to happen. I'm sure it happens every year to at least 1-2 individuals, but the chances of you taking their spot are so small that it isn't even worth thinking about. I would focus on ways to make my application more competitive for the next cycle or even consider GSO.
Yeah definitely keeping it out of my mind, pretty much entirely. I’ve just had a weird amount of people saying, “Oh I know someone it happened to.” I’m like…who are these imaginary people?! Haha.

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest
Dental School Attended: Toronto
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Ortho residency International
International Student (yes/no): yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: INBDE passed
GPA: 3.5
GRE Score: 153 V, 147 Q, 3.5
Class Rank: School does not provide class rank
Match/Non-Match: Both
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Master thesis in my previous orthodontic residency, 3 publications.
Extracurriculars: Sports.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 42/2/2/2

I was lucky to have 2 acceptances one each in Match and Non Match. Had only got 1 interview to my Match list, and got Matched with that. Be very confident for your interview. That's all I can say. For GRE I hardly studied. For the English part I did not even know what is the basic structure of the exam, just went for the test blindly and got 3.5. I had booked 2 GRE test dates a month apart. The initial one I thought was just for practise, but after getting a bit decent scores, did not go for the second one. I had bought a book from Amazon for quant, and just studied that since I had graduated form high school in 1995. The book was

The GRE Math Prep Book for Students Who Have Forgotten a Lot of Their High School Math
Gerver, Robert
GRE is very easily doable I think. I hardly studied, and got these scores. 1 month prior to my GRE I did not even touch any books, as I didn't feel like studying at all. So if just by reading for a couple of months, and not reading at all 1 month prior to the GRE I can get these scores, I believe it must be a piece of cake.
Apply broadly is another thing I will like to add.

Last edited:
Name of Ortho Program: South program
Dental School Attended: South program
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: N/A
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: pass
ADAT Score:
GRE Score: 155/155 4.0
Class Rank: 1%
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: 3
Extracurriculars: 15 +positions
Programs Applied to/Interview: 15/11/10/10
Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked:

Will edit with more info today

Not if they are university based programs. For hospital based ones you need a gpr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if you need to do a GPR/AEGD/2 yr general practice before applying to ortho programs in NY?

Apparently, you have to do a GPR before you can practice general dentistry in NY, so I wonder if it is the same for ortho programs.

Don't you have to get their state license first before you can matriculate into the program?

I see. But the second part of my question is about having the NY license before starting the ortho program in NY. Would the residents practice under faculty license without their own NY license if they didn’t do GPR?

Name of Ortho Program: Northeast Program
Dental School Attended:
International Program
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency:
Residency in Dental Materials Research (1 year) and Master´s degree in Dentistry (in progress – ending April 2024) with full Federal Scholarship (major in Dental Materials and prosthodontics – International Program
International Student (yes/no):
Yes
NBDE Part I/II scores:
INBDE Pass
ADAT Score:
good grades
GRE Score: X
Class Rank:
Top 6% in Dental School (GPA 3.5) / Top 1% in Master of Science in Dentistry (GPA 4.0)
Match/Non-Match:
Match only
Externship(s)/where:
none
Research:
multiple research projects at the Dental School (two ortho) with Research Program Scholarship Recipient, Clinical Scholarship Recipient, 14 research projects (in progress) after dental school with Federal Scholarship, 3 publications and 2 ongoing publications and many oral presentations in conferences and lectures.
Extracurriculars:
Competitive high performance sport, 4 languages, volunteer work during covid pandemic, other volunteer work in dentistry, class leadership – President of my class for 5 years, Dental School Student Body Representative, tutoring during Dental School, part time job in private orthodontic clinic and GP.

Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 3/2/2/1

First time applying, matched second choice. I think what made the difference in being accepted were the things I did in my life as a student and as an athlete. I always tried to take advantage of the research and volunteering opportunities that arose at university.

If you're going to apply in the future, I advise you to make a creative personal statement that shows who you are, leaving aside the information already on your CV. For the interview, study the university program and ask questions for each interviewer. Show interest and knowledge without being arrogant or boring. Be prepared for surprises and be charismatic and positive. Always be yourself. For international applicants who don´t have English as their first language, I suggest to take intensive conversation classes.

They sent out emails to confirm who matched and who’s not to finalize their list I guess
When you mentioned who did not match, do you mean they notified the rejection to all applicants and they filled out their spots? Cause they sent that massive email stating they are still conducting interviews through November...

When you mentioned who did not match, do you mean they notified the rejection to all applicants and they filled out their spots? Cause they sent that massive email stating they are still conducting interviews through

No I don’t mean they filled out their spots
I don’t know to be honest
I think they are still reviewing applications

No I don’t mean they filled out their spots
I don’t know to be honest
I think they are still reviewing applications
Touro is still finishing interviews. They reached out to see if you matched, as this cycle they are post-match and arent taking anybody who has already matched to another program.

Name of Ortho Program: Northeast
Dental School Attended: Northeast
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass
GRE Score: 160 (verbal) / 155 (quant) / 3.5 (writing)
Class Rank: 10%
Match/Non-Match: Match only
Externship(s)/where: Yes, only at the ortho program at my dental school (received an interview invite)
Research: Undergrad and during dental school, not ortho related, no publications, did poster presentations at 3 research events and won an award.
Extracurriculars: held many leadership positions in different organizations, involved in the chapter + district level ASDA, volunteering (but not so much tbh), TA for a few courses, worked in my families business throughout dental school, had previous experience working at an ortho office as a dental assistant, I also have a masters degree.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 23/5/5/5

Congratulations on everyone who matched this cycle!! It was my first time applying and I matched to my top choice. Those applying next cycle, you’ve got this. Don’t give up or compare yourselves to others! I wrote a few pointers of things I did that helped me out a lot.
  1. I started prepping to apply to Ortho since the very beginning of dental school. 1st year just focus on your grades making sure they’re the highest they can be! 2nd + 3rd year start research and getting involved as much as you can while keeping your grades high.
  2. Find a few faculty that you really get along with and keep those connections because letters of recommendations are HUGE and you’ll need a lot of them (at least 6).
  3. If your school has a ortho program, go show face as early as possible.. don’t be shy! Ask them how you can be more involved and if you can shadow (your chance at getting an interview starts here).
  4. Go to AAO if possible bc it gives you a chance at networking with program directors and residents.
  5. Write a unique personal statement. Think of how you can make your story stand out!
  6. GRE isn’t as easy as I thought it would be tbh but it’s also not as important as the rest of your application.. getting an average grade is enough!
  7. Be yourself during interviews. If you prep too much you’ll sound like a robot. Be genuine, humble, and positive!! Talk to residents as much as you can!
Good luck 🍀

• Love
Is there anyone who has NOT yet received the letter from the school they matched with?

Reactions: 3 users
Name of Ortho Program: northeast
Dental School Attended: northeast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: will earn this year
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: N/A
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: N/A- pass
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: bottom tier
Class Rank: N/A, likely top of class
Match/Non-Match: Applied to both- accepted to both
Externship(s)/where: multiple schools northeast- NY, NJ
Research: no published papers, limited research experience with pediatric faculty
Extracurriculars: the basics, ortho club, ortho assisting experience, shadowing experience, teaching assistant positions, CAD/CAM experience
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/2/2/1 (also had a non match)

Last edited:
Anyone still not receive a letter of confirmation from their program? I emailed the program director on Match day and she acknowledged the result, but it's been a week, so I'm not sure if it is via email or actual physical mail.

Anyone still not receive a letter of confirmation from their program? I emailed the program director on Match day and she acknowledged the result, but it's been a week, so I'm not sure if it is via email or actual physical mail.
I’m assuming that’s normal. All I received was an email from the director the day of the match

Hello everyone,

Where can I find open seats for match programs? I am planning to apply post match. Thank you.

Hello everyone

Didn’t match to any of the programs, but a big congratulations to all whom got matched.

I got a email from UCONN that they are not selecting me for residency but offering a fellowship opportunity. Should I consider that? As I am an international dentist and do not have any experience in the USA!

Has anyone received an interview invite to Touro? Or are they still reviewing applications?

Hello everyone

Didn’t match to any of the programs, but a big congratulations to all whom got matched.

I got a email from UCONN that they are not selecting me for residency but offering a fellowship opportunity. Should I consider that? As I am an international dentist and do not have any experience in the USA!
If course!!!! Don’t let it pass

Hello everyone

a fellowship at UConn will definitely help your chances of matching next year!

Is UCONN a good school? I heard you can almost guarantee an acceptance there with the fellowship completed. There is almost always a fellow in each class.

Hello guys, any idea of how many seats left for Georgia?