2012-2013 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

First. Surprised nobody has posted in here yet.

On the fence about applying here from OOS. Not excited about the acceptance rate, or the cost. But my numbers are competitive.

Edit: Adding the school under AMCAS brings up the following:

(Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States at the time of application. Applications are only considered from: [1] Tennessee residents, [2] residents of the eight states contiguous to Tennessee - Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and [3] children whose parents are UT system alumni, regardless of their state of residence.)

Guess that makes UTHSC a no-go.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the fence about applying here from OOS. Not excited about the acceptance rate, or the cost. But my numbers are competitive.

Edit: Adding the school under AMCAS brings up the following:

Guess that makes UTHSC a no-go.

Are you a TX applicant? What interested you about the University of Tennessee?

I'm a CO applicant applying as broadly as possible. No real specific reasons other than the fact that I love Tennessee and would like to live there at some point in my life.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to apply here if you're from CO. They only accept students from Tennessee plus a few surrounding states.

I'm a CO applicant applying as broadly as possible. No real specific reasons other than the fact that I love Tennessee and would like to live there at some point in my life.

I see you like Vandy too ;) . I love Nashville. Do you have any ties to TN?

None at all. Looked at going to undergrad at Lipscomb, every time I've been back to Nashville I've loved it.

My application is in! Good luck, everyone - and go Vols!!

Let me start by saying this – I was happy that they accepted me and am appreciative for being in medical school but being a 2nd year now and looking back at my selection I truly regret picking this school. There aren’t too many in depth reviews on UT College of Medicine and reasons probably being many of the students are probably scared to speak their minds for fear of the administration, alright, here ya go…
Education- Anatomy and immune are pretty well taught here, micro is poorly thaught, pharmacology is awful and you are pretty much reduced to learning it by nitpicking a few things here and there from certain lectures. Organ systems -- the average of our class (170 or so students in our class) at the end of hematology module was 69!!! (passing grade is 68 here)… barely passing as a whole class. Same thing happened (very low grades as a class in cardio and renal modules). They even erased all the exams from the system. The administration said they do not have a clue of what happened.
They curved ALL of the exams that we took throughout the Spring semester--believe it or not, out of 6 exams, all scores got VERY curved in the end. All our grades were pretty bad on all the exams before curving.
Of course, rumors circulate that they manipulate grades. Some people think that if you are borderline passing but you earn a barely passing grade that they actually fail you… say you earned a 69 or 70 – barely passing. You get your score report and somehow you failed according to the score report…many people have asked to see their exams to review and they are denied being able to look at them.
Fortunately, I have not cut it this close but this has happened to a few of my friends…there are multiple other occasions where it appears they manipulate grades to their liking…which just unnerves some people. Overall, UT picks and chooses who they help, who they screw; who they accommodate, who they won't tolerate…
Administration is by far my biggest complaint and many students will agree. There is a rift between administration and students. They say they work for their students but the fact is that they care more about their own reputation than they do about their students. They rule with an iron fist and work by scaring their students into doing things out of fear. I could go on and on – there are just too many things to honestly write down…It boils down to the school feels very oppressive and administration is not friendly at all, education is very poor overall…
I am sure some people wil say that I am one of those disgruntled medical students or whatever but fact is I appreciate UT for accepting me and giving me the opportunity… they are oppressive, multiple courses are taught very, very poorly, high turnover of curriculum, administration is not friendly at all or helpful, sometimes even the opposite of helpful, the school is run like a business (a bad one).
Again, believe me or not – it does not matter to me but just wish someone had put this sort of information out there before I made my decision on UT because I would have 100% percent chosen somewhere else or not gone to medical school. Unless you are looking to become a crappy physician, I'd stay away unless you have no choice or you like this kind of system.
If you have multiple choices for schools I would think long and hard before attending at UT… Being a medical student is stressful enough let alone dealing with the crappy administrative staff, arbitrary grading, personal vendetta, and so on…Hard to describe unless you’re here…

Wow... that sounds pretty terrible! I actually just applied and was looking forward to maybe interviewing here. It would be great to get a second opinion if there was another UT med student hanging around.

Wow... that sounds pretty terrible! I actually just applied and was looking forward to maybe interviewing here. It would be great to get a second opinion if there was another UT med student hanging around.

Perhaps part of the disdain is in relation to the kinks needing to be worked out in the new curriculum. I've heard of other students being a bit flustered with the transition, hopefully the student feedback from last year's M1 class (now M2s) will help the program. And I have heard happy students, as well. Every school/program has its positives and its negatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
M3 here. There have definitely been a ton of kinks to work out with the new curriculum (which is actually probably an understatement), but students and faculty are working very, very hard to improve it! We all feel for last years M1s but with each class there will be improvements made.

Keep in mind that UTs strengths are its clinical years. And that UT matches several students into big name residencies each year (think Harvard, Mayo, Stanford). At the end of the day, graduation = MD.

Good luck!

Any secondaries received yet?

I was wondering that too. Their website says they'll start sending out secondaries after August 20th, which has already gone by. Last secondary that I'm waiting on.

Yeah, same thought process as me. It's my last one and should be the easiest. and no fee

Those of you who have received secondaries, are you in-state or OOS?

Has anyone gotten a confirmation of any kind after sending in the secondary? I emailed the portion they wanted emailed, and I mailed in the other part, but haven't had any communication since then

Has anyone gotten a confirmation of any kind after sending in the secondary? I emailed the portion they wanted emailed, and I mailed in the other part, but haven't had any communication since then
I just got an email a few hours ago saying that I was complete.

I just got an email a few hours ago saying that I was complete.

i got the complete email on monday. guess it's because i sent the form certified that same day on friday.

Yea, I just got the complete email today. Apparently my picture didn't send as an attachment so that was holding up my file being processed.

I didn't get one until January last year and interviewed in March. You still have time.

Also, FYI, the first interviews are in October this year, beginning on the 1st. And the first committee meeting is 10/26/12 if you're in that first batch.

Whew, that makes me feel better then :) And that's a special date to me, so hopefully it brings luck!

Interview invite received 2 days ago scheduled for Oct. 3. Complete Sep. 5

Waiting on some UTHSC love.....

They were at my school this week presenting information, should have asked when my interview was coming. :)

ello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here

ello, new at SDN, I am applying late in the game and was advised to ask on here if anyone would be willing to share what questions and or essays were required to fill out the secondary so I can go ahead and start filling them out. If anyone would be willing to share this information, I would be overly thankful. Please PM me the details if at all possible or just reply on here

For this secondary, there are no essay questions. It's just a question sheet asking basic information. Won't take more than a couple minutes to finish up

Jeeze, the first set of interviews are on October 1st. I can't believe we haven't hear more people post about interviews. Granted, not everyone that gets an interview will post on SDN. *sigh*

I interview here on Oct 31st! Anyone that has already interviewed care to share their experience? ;-)

I interview here on Oct 31st! Anyone that has already interviewed care to share their experience? ;-)
They always tend to be heavy on ethical and clinical dilemmas. They also ask you direct questions about your app; so know it well. Other than that, it's just touring with M1s and M2s and eating lunch with M3s and M4s. Pretty much your usual interview day, nothing special and no surprises. This is from my experience last year.

They always tend to be heavy on ethical and clinical dilemmas. They also ask you direct questions about your app; so know it well. Other than that, it's just touring with M1s and M2s and eating lunch with M3s and M4s. Pretty much your usual interview day, nothing special and no surprises. This is from my experience last year.

im set for the 20th!

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.