2025-2026 East Tennessee (Quillen) ETSU

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chilly_md

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 ETSU Quillen Secondary Essay Prompts:
1 - Why have you chosen to apply to Quillen College of Medicine? How do your personal and professional goals align with Quillen’s mission and values? (1500 characters)

2 - Quillen College of Medicine’s curriculum is designed to foster excellence in clinical practice through active, in-person participation and peer co-learning. This approach requires individual preparation, engagement in participatory class sessions, and a commitment to mutual coaching among peers. We believe that meaningful learning extends beyond academics and can be found in all areas of life.

To help us understand how you will thrive in our community,
please reflect on the significance of this learning model in your personal and professional development. In your response, consider the following:

  • Describe a time when you navigated a challenging group learning experience. What was your role, and how did you contribute to the group’s success?
  • Discuss the value you find in learning through teaching and coaching your peers. How does this approach enhance your understanding and application of material?
  • You are encouraged to draw from both academic and non-academic experiences to illustrate your points. (1500 characters)

3 -
Choose one of the following: (1500 characters)
a. As a physician, you will have the unique opportunity to foster positive change within your patients and community. Reflect on how your life experiences have shaped your values and attitudes towards others, especially those from different backgrounds or with differing values. How have these experiences prepared you to treat all patients with respect, care, compassion, and dignity, even when their beliefs differ from your own
b. Describe a specific initiative or project you have undertaken to improve your community. What motivated you to get involved, and what impact did your efforts have? In your response, please highlight any challenges you faced, how you overcame them, and what you learned from the experience
c. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.


Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
1 - Why have you chosen to apply to Quillen College of Medicine? How do your personal and professional goals align with Quillen’s mission and values? (1500 characters)

2 - Quillen College of Medicine’s curriculum is designed to foster excellence in clinical practice through active, in-person participation and peer co-learning. This approach requires individual preparation, engagement in participatory class sessions, and a commitment to mutual coaching among peers. We believe that meaningful learning extends beyond academics and can be found in all areas of life.

To help us understand how you will thrive in our community, please reflect on the significance of this learning model in your personal and professional development. In your response, consider the following:

  • Describe a time when you navigated a challenging group learning experience. What was your role, and how did you contribute to the group’s success?
  • Discuss the value you find in learning through teaching and coaching your peers. How does this approach enhance your understanding and application of material?
  • You are encouraged to draw from both academic and non-academic experiences to illustrate your points. (1500 characters)

3 - Choose one of the following: (1500 characters)
a. As a physician, you will have the unique opportunity to foster positive change within your patients and community. Reflect on how your life experiences have shaped your values and attitudes towards others, especially those from different backgrounds or with differing values. How have these experiences prepared you to treat all patients with respect, care, compassion, and dignity, even when their beliefs differ from your own
b. Describe a specific initiative or project you have undertaken to improve your community. What motivated you to get involved, and what impact did your efforts have? In your response, please highlight any challenges you faced, how you overcame them, and what you learned from the experience
c. Use this space to tell the committee anything else about yourself that you have not had the opportunity to present elsewhere in your application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I ask you which OOS category you fall in?

"Applicants whose domicile is within a 250 mile radius of Quillen and out-of-state applicants who graduate from a four year college or university located in the state of Tennessee within the preceding three years."
 
Last edited:
Can I ask if you which OOS category you fall in?

"Applicants whose domicile is within a 250 mile radius of Quillen and out-of-state applicants who graduate from a four year college or university located in the state of Tennessee within the preceding three years."
250 mile radius and I completed part of my undergrad in a neighboring county!
 
Probably dumb question - I got a pre-2 R from ETSU which prompted me to double check my AMCAS grades. I found that my graduate GPA had not calculated correctly. This has now been fixed. Is it worth reaching out to ETSU and asking for reconsideration?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there was significant change to your overall GPA (like +0.05 or more) then I'd reach out. Otherwise...I'm not sure it'd make a difference
 
n=1, I got secondary 27 days after applying and an interview 6 days after my application was marked complete. IS.
I wonder what the best way to ask about my application is without sounding entitled to a secondary. Still haven't received one, but I am quite interested as I literally have family in the area (border state, but within their region of preference).
 
I wonder what the best way to ask about my application is without sounding entitled to a secondary. Still haven't received one, but I am quite interested as I literally have family in the area (border state, but within their region of preference).
I got a pretty immediate pre-2 R (IS, no red flags) and they haven't answered either of my follow up emails.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you got a pre-S R? I'm no adcom but that usually means something technical was off. You can always call or try to schedule a meeting to see what was wrong!
Yeah and honestly I've had a fairly positive cycle so far otherwise, so it was strange. Definitely nothing like an IA in my past and did not use any kind of AI/editing programs at all in my primary.

I should call but they specifically mentioned in the rejection to contact their email with questions, and they were responsive to some emailed questions I had before the application window opened.
 
I ended up calling them last week just asking for an update. They said that they’re still reviewing my app. I’ve sent them CASPer, my MCAT is above their cutoff, and I have an okay GPA following some turnaround and upward trend. Significantly more competitive number there if they take a look at my final 60 hours + graduate GPA.

I think it’s because my primary was verified late (early August), but I’ll just let my app play out the way it does.
 
I ended up calling them last week just asking for an update. They said that they’re still reviewing my app. I’ve sent them CASPer, my MCAT is above their cutoff, and I have an okay GPA following some turnaround and upward trend. Significantly more competitive number there if they take a look at my final 60 hours + graduate GPA.

I think it’s because my primary was verified late (early August), but I’ll just let my app play out the way it does.
Are you still waiting on a secondary or have you already submitted your secondary?
 
Are you still waiting on a secondary or have you already submitted your secondary?
Still waiting on a secondary. I have little to no expectations of success here at this point, but I’d still like a chance, given my ties to the area. Maybe I can be one of those super-late success stories lol
 
Does anyone know the vibe of the Interview information session? Is it webinar style or large-group zoom (and if so, business casual or cameras off?) And do we need to have questions prepared?
 
Does anyone know the vibe of the Interview information session? Is it webinar style or large-group zoom (and if so, business casual or cameras off?) And do we need to have questions prepared?
The info session is a group zoom with several adcom and finance. Q&A within the group setting and a breakout session with current students and no adcom present. Most folks dress business casual.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad