Utsw passed away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pie944

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
checked his blog daily. unexpected.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made out to "The Norman Wu Foundation c/o Wells Fargo #7271456431" and mailed to Wells Fargo, 5968 W. Parker Rd., Suite B, Plano, TX 75093 in support of lung cancer research and treatment.

Blog Link:
http://crushmycancer.blogspot.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
did not need this today. my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

edit: should probably modify the thread title to include the news.

An amazing physican.
A mentor.
A humanitarian.
A friend.

RIP UTSW and great job with your journey.

firedragon.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
His last email to me. April 27th:

Hello (edit) !

Once again thank you for the kind words and thoughts. It is easy for me to stay positive when I am surrounded by people that inspire me with their decisions to help others when they could be just getting richer. Instead, one of them last week put down $15,000,000 to buy a 200 acre ranch that will serve as an "underground railroad" for child victims of sex trafficking.

This on top of helping me build a state of the art cancer treatment medical center.

In short, I can inspire because everyone inspires me and I realize the crap we see on the news that makes us feel like we are surrounded by only thieves, crooks, and criminals, are mostly fictitious or exaggerated.

I choose to trust, help, and just have fun!

Have a great Friday and weekend!

What a beautiful person.

You'll be missed.

Wow.
What a punch in the gut. I though he was doing ok from his blog posts. :(
His journey was an inspiration and his contributions to this forum are legendary. It sounds like his real life legacy will eclipse both.
Cheers Norm!
RIP.

Last edited:
Sad to hear this news.

UTSouthwestern was an inspiration. The world lost a good man with his passing.

Norm was a humble genius. As I contemplated leaving one career for medicine, he politely & proptly returned every PM I sent. As I pursued anesthesiology as a career, he did the same. Norm wouldn't know me from Adam on the street but was a
great friend anyways.

Heaven was made for folks like him.

RIP & God bless your family.

Very sad to hear this...my heart goes out to his wife and young children

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts and prayers go out for the family. Though we never met, I feel as though I knew him from his contributions and teaching on student doctor network. He will be missed.
It seems strange to get tears in my eyes for someone I never met. But he allowed us to go on this journey alongside him and I am grateful that he shared so much. I have a huge lump in my throat. I am very sad for all his family is enduring in this difficult time.
He was a great man!
Gern Blansten

Like Gern, I'm teary eyed about Norm, who I never met. I just visited his blog yesterday.
I think his impact on all of us, many he never met, speaks to who this Doctor was as a human. So sad about this news. Prayers to his family.

Norm lived his life the right way.

D712

I never had the privilege of meeting Dr. Wu in real life, but we did talk online some. Even through my extremely limited conversations it was easy to tell how great of a man he was. Extremely sad news to receive this morning. My thoughts are with his family and friends. It seemed so unexpected... Thank you for the post, pie.

Many thanks to UTSW for all of the lives he has touched... I don't think that anybody can know how many people he has helped or positively influenced. He was truly a great man, who made the best of a really bad situation... I will be sure to follow his advice on how to live, which is the best way I can think of to honor him.

RIP UTSW.

Last edited:
Norm, I'm sorry you are gone. I had hoped you would beat the odds and stick around for a few more decades. On this memorial day weekend I'm going to be thinking about you tonight. I know you had Faith and in the end, that is what matters most.

Peace and God Bless.

Shocked by the news...Thought he was doing better.

An inspiration and encouraged by his faith.

He will not be forgotten, but most definitely missed.

Never knew UTSW in person; only knows he worked in Texas and his rel name was Norm. But, now in my last few weeks of my CA3 year and about to enter practice, I remember how many of his VERY valuable posts I have read here over the last 10 years.
Godspeed, sir! My your life continue to inspire others!!
Hope someone points out to your kids how great you were!

Interesting that everyone thought he was doing well to the very end. He was doing well and that speaks to his strength. Inspired by his example. Wow

Thank you Dr. Wu

What do the mods think about having everyone gathering some of his best/most inspirational posts and collecting them into some sort of stickied remembrance thread?

I have been following your blog over the past year, and your writings have inspired me to savor life more. We never know how much time we have. Thank you for your faith, insight, and inspiration. May you rest in peace, Dr. Wu!

Wow. I have been away for a while because we just had twins. Very sad to see this. RIP. Blessings to Dr. Wu's family.

In his memory,

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

In his memory,

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Pro,
We have lost so many this year . Best wishes to Utsw and his family. Life is precious.

RIP Norm. Had thought you were doing well, but stuff can happen quickly. God bless your friends and family. We'll miss you here.

For those in the metroplex:

Dr. Norman Wu -Monday, May 28
Visitation will be held at Prince of Peace on
Monday, May 28 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm.
We will celebrate the life of Norman with a funeral Mass at 5:00 pm.
A reception will follow in St. James Hall.

http://www.popplano.org/
5100 Plano Parkway West / Plano, Texas 75093
(972) 380-2100

Don't post on here often, but have been following his blog. We never met in person, but I feel like I've lost a friend. Rest in peace.

RIP. He was inspirational as a contributor here, and in his battle to the end.

I never met him, but learned a lot about anesthesia and about life from him.

If anyone can pass along info regarding how/where to donate to Dr. Wu's foundation mentioned in the most recent blog post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, this is shocking, as others said he seemed from his posts that he was doing okay. I don't think I ever spoke to him but I followed his blog and read his posts on SDN. I worried there would be a day I would click on his blog and find some bad news; I guess that day has come. He fought hard and made it over a year with stage 4 cancer, that is pretty inspiring. RIP Norm.

If anyone can pass along info regarding how/where to donate to Dr. Wu's foundation mentioned in the most recent blog post, it would be greatly appreciated.

Form his obituary:

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made out to "The Norman Wu Foundation c/o Wells Fargo #7271456431" and mailed to Wells Fargo, 5968 W. Parker Rd., Suite B, Plano, TX 75093 in support of lung cancer research and treatment.

God speed Dr. Wu. The world, our community, and more specifically your patients, have lost an incredible person.

My thoughts and prayers to your wife, children and family during this difficult time.

-ph8

+5

RIP Dr. Wu. Your grace through the course of your illness is an inspiration.

Very sorry to hear this. I also followed his blog and SDN posts. I am especially very sorry for his family. His life was very rich, a great example.