Utsw passed away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
amazing and inspirational. Though we never met, he was helpful .

Members don't see this ad.

So sad.... I wish his family the best. I don't know him personally, but his charismatic writing style is evidence enough of his exceptional personality. He will be missed in SDN.

This is sad. Looking at his CV, I estimate he was 41-43 when he passed away. Very young. Perhaps he didn't even have the chance to financially secure his wife and kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is sad. Looking at his CV, I estimate he was 41-43 when he passed away. Very young. Perhaps he didn't even have the chance to financially secure his wife and kids.

Norm was a smart guy. I have no doubt his family was provided for. All of you with a wife and/or kids need life insurance. Norm proves we are just a day or a year from possible death. I could be next.

Even If you are single buy the life insurance now while you are young and healthy. Secure that policy for your future wife or kids. Only those who are absolutely certain they will never marry or have kids should skip life insurance.

I think about Norm and others who have died in my life. They remind me daily that my days are numbered and I won't be walking this Earth forever.

There really is something to that country song "live life like you are dying".
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWg5DlWVa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Peace and God Bless

I had no idea he was so young. He will be missed.

Condolences. My heart aches for his young family. He made his time on earth really count.

Unfortunately I believe Dr Wu did not secure life insurance for his family.

Read his original post about the cancer. He had life insurance. And was in the proceans of getting a bigger policy. So he let his old policy go without finalizing his new policy when he was diagnosed with cancer last year.

It's just bad luck and horrible timing with the insurance policy.

RIP. Dr Wu.

FYI. U can get one of those 500k no physical no lab policies 20-25 year term with many A rated carriers for life insurance for under $80-85 if you are under 40.

So if you have a young family. Overweight etc or might get denied with other carriers . At least get the 500k life policy. Better than nothing.

Unfortunately I believe Dr Wu did not secure life insurance for his family.

Read his original post about the cancer. He had life insurance. And was in the proceans of getting a bigger policy. So he let his old policy go without finalizing his new policy when he was diagnosed with cancer last year.

It's just bad luck and horrible timing with the insurance policy.

RIP. Dr Wu.

FYI. U can get one of those 500k no physical no lab policies 20-25 year term with many A rated carriers for life insurance for under $80-85 if you are under 40.

So if you have a young family. Overweight etc or might get denied with other carriers . At least get the 500k life policy. Better than nothing.

Whatever you may think of your health at age 28-30, it will likely not get better with age. Most of us aren't blessed like JPP:D. This means suck it up and buy that policy. Fixed term for 25-30 years. Even if you only qualify for a standard rating just buy the damn thing. Instead of buying the $2 million version (preferred rating) just get the $1 million standard rating. If by some miracle your health improves in 5-8 years then get a new policy;but, never let the old one lapse until the new one is secured and paid for.

I bet even with a standard rating you can get a million dollar level 25 policy for $100-140 per month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you may think of your health at age 28-30, it will likely not get better with age. Most of us aren't blessed like JPP:D. This means suck it up and buy that policy. Fixed term for 25-30 years. Even if you only qualify for a standard rating just buy the damn thing. Instead of buying the $2 million version (preferred rating) just get the $1 million standard rating. If by some miracle your health improves in 5-8 years then get a new policy;but, never let the old one lapse until the new one is secured and paid for.

I bet even with a standard rating you can get a million dollar level 25 policy for $100-140 per month.

Not as simple as you think for those 1-2 million policies.

Some exclude overweight people. Seriously. I've known people 5 foot 10. 260 pounds get denied based on weight alone. Than those same people lose weight rapidly. Reapply and insurance says their protein is too low. Insurance will make excuses after excuses.

Than I know people people get denied based on stupid labs. Cholesterol slightly high. It's quite ridiculous some of these denials.

Agree with the term life policy. Term life is cheap when you are under 40. Even million dollar policies. Also agree never let old policy lapse before getting new one. That's what happened to Dr Wu.

Not as simple as you think for those 1-2 million policies.

Some exclude overweight people. Seriously. I've known people 5 foot 10. 260 pounds get denied based on weight alone. Than those same people lose weight rapidly. Reapply and insurance says their protein is too low. Insurance will make excuses after excuses.

Than I know people people get denied based on stupid labs. Cholesterol slightly high. It's quite ridiculous some of these denials.

Agree with the term life policy. Term life is cheap when you are under 40. Even million dollar policies. Also agree never let old policy lapse before getting new one. That's what happened to Dr Wu.

I won't argue here as Norm Wu was an inspiration on SDN. But, learn from Norm even now. Go buy that life insurance policy. If your health/weight/cholesterol aren't perfect then call several independent agents for opinions/options. I knew people who got standard policies from certain companies that were rejected by other insurance companies. I also knew a guy who was a solid ASA3 who was able to buy a $500,000 life insurance policy. Please make the effort and call these agents. If Norm were here he woud advise you to do the same.

This hit be by surprise also. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. We have to make every day count.Dr. Wu's posts keep me going years ago when I was contemplating switching into anesthesia. His posts were always thoughtful and kind.

Everyone, get life insurance if you do not have a policy at this point.

Respectfully,

Cambie

This hit be by surprise also. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. We have to make every day count.Dr. Wu's posts keep me going years ago when I was contemplating switching into anesthesia. His posts were always thoughtful and kind.

Everyone, get life insurance if you do not have a policy at this point.

Respectfully,

Cambie
thats it!!

after today im going part time baby. i dont car about money. GIMME TIMMMME baby.. MORE TIME to myself

checked his blog daily. unexpected.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made out to "The Norman Wu Foundation c/o Wells Fargo #7271456431" and mailed to Wells Fargo, 5968 W. Parker Rd., Suite B, Plano, TX 75093 in support of lung cancer research and treatment.

Blog Link:
http://crushmycancer.blogspot.com/

Oh no. That's terrible. :(

UT - I will see you on the Other Side. I thank you, for great wisdom here on the forum over the years. .........The Blog was, and always will be, testament to a brave man's righteous life. Peace

Rest in peace, you were an inspirational guy. The fact that your words could have so much impact over a message board speaks to your wisdom. We all could have learned a lot more if your life had not been extinguished so prematurely.

Most of us aren't blessed like JPP:D. This means suck it up and buy that policy. Fixed term for 25-30 years. Even if you only qualify for a standard rating just buy the damn thing. Instead of buying the $2 million version (preferred rating) just get the $1 million standard rating. If by some miracle your health improves in 5-8 years then get a new policy;but, never let the old one lapse until the new one is secured and paid for.

Blade, you're a funny guy!

All kidding aside tho

YOU ARE RIGHT.

I hope all young attendings out there are

BUYING TERM LIFE INSURANCE.

NOW.

It's simple. It's cheap.

Last year I added another

One million.

20 year term

Cost?

$1,698 annually.

And I'm 47 years old.

Still very healthy and don't smoke Marlboro Reds...in a box please

which helps.

If you are 35

it'll be even less.

All kidding aside dudes,

DON'T WAIT.

YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT KINDA LIFE CURVE BALLS ARE AROUND THE CORNER.

Sickness. Lost contract. Lost fortune.

Dude, you never know....so why not spend a few large a year to ensure comfort for your family?

Seriously man, I want you dudes/dudettes to take care of you and yours. You may still be single. You still may be just outta training with a big student loan monthly note...it's so easy to rationalize why you don't need insurance.

You need it man.

Spend the

CUPPLA LARGE or probably less since you dudes out there are younger than I.

TODAY. Ok ok ok today is over sooooooo

TOMORROW.

Make the call.

Make it happen.

For the security of your family or your future family that you don't even know yet.

LIFE GOES BY FAST.

DON'T PUT THIS OFF.

I WOULD NEVER MISLEAD YOU.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Last edited:
Norm was a smart guy. I have no doubt his family was provided for. All of you with a wife and/or kids need life insurance. Norm proves we are just a day or a year from possible death. I could be next.

Even If you are single buy the life insurance now while you are young and healthy. Secure that policy for your future wife or kids. Only those who are absolutely certain they will never marry or have kids should skip life insurance.

I think about Norm and others who have died in my life. They remind me daily that my days are numbered and I won't be walking this Earth forever.

There really is something to that country song "live life like you are dying".
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWg5DlWVa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Peace and God Bless

thanks for linking that post, blade. the evident gravity of our lives is made even heavier reading that post, dated barely a year ago. the words are important to remember not only for their content, but also as a reminder that the effects of our existence--the things we do and say, with our patients and families--will far outreach in scope our actual existence. we should all use this opportunity to remind of ourselves of the absolute honor and privilege it is to share similar vulnerable moments with our patients--many of whom are going through terrible, if not terminal, periods in their lives. it is when this vulnerability is taken advantage of (see greedy gas docs thread) that we are represented in a light that is, quite frankly, no better than that which exposes scamming wall street financiers...

thanks for linking that post, blade. the evident gravity of our lives is made even heavier reading that post, dated barely a year ago. the words are important to remember not only for their content, but also as a reminder that the effects of our existence--the things we do and say, with our patients and families--will far outreach in scope our actual existence. we should all use this opportunity to remind of ourselves of the absolute honor and privilege it is to share similar vulnerable moments with our patients--many of whom are going through terrible, if not terminal, periods in their lives. it is when this vulnerability is taken advantage of (see greedy gas docs thread) that we are represented in a light that is, quite frankly, no better than that which exposes scamming wall street financiers...

Ummmmmm.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm trying to figure out where your

PATRONIZATION

begins and ends.

Meaning:

Leave it at

THE CURB,

SLIM.

Ummmmmm.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm trying to figure out where your

PATRONIZATION

begins and ends.

Meaning:

Leave it at

THE CURB,

SLIM.

I'm not patronizing in any way. I would not be so disrespectful. Sorry you misunderstood.

UTSW, may you rest easily with God for eternity. Thank you for blessing us with your wisdom.

As did I, and may I suggest that this particular thread is not the place for grudges, fights, or life insurance discussions.

Agree on the grudges and fights... disagree about life insurance discussion.

Its VERY EASY to get caught up in the rat race, especially as a resident or young attending... I must do more, I must read more, I must study more, I must join this committee, must make partner, must get published again, must do this, must do that... Sometimes it takes something as tragic as this to open your eyes to the fact that just because you're young, doesn't mean you're invincible. While I never met him, I think it is safe to say that just over a year ago, UTSW was in the prime of his life and never thought for a second that this was how things would play out... nobody does.

Though out the years, UTSW has made innumerable excellent and educational posts, concerning all aspects of anesthesia, and not just about what goes on in the OR. Again, I never met him, but I think he would be glad in knowing that his passing was fostering discussion.

I'm a healthy 35 yo with no dependents (at least not yet) to worry about... but since this news came out, I have seen my internist for the first time in almost 5 years, and I have a call into my agent to discuss/purchase some life insurance.

Thank you UTSW for opening my eyes. You will be missed.

Its VERY EASY to get caught up in the rat race, especially as a resident or young attending... I must do more, I must read more, I must study more, I must join this committee, must make partner, must get published again, must do this, must do that...
Sometimes it takes something as tragic as this to open your eyes to the fact that just because you're young, doesn't mean you're invincible. While I never met him, I think it is safe to say that just over a year ago, UTSW was in the prime of his life and never thought for a second that this was how things would play out... nobody does.

You betcha.

I can tell you that for the past 12 years... I've been happily working my ***** off.

I've had a change of heart over the last 6-7 months. Been chilling out a little more. Maybe it's normal... but had some exchanges with UT some time ago about this topic.

Now I'm enjoying more time away from the hospital. Getting out of the grind a little in exchange for creating some pretty amazing memories with loved ones.

I'm not loosing steam by any means... mainly cuz I love what I do.

I'm trying to refocus on a healthy body, mind, and spirit.

It's easy to get used to working hard... After a while it just becomes normal.... but before you know it you are 40 something and missed out on some good years.

You betcha.

I can tell you that for the past 12 years... I've been happily working my ***** off.

I've had a change of heart over the last 6-7 months. Been chilling out a little more. Maybe it's normal... but had some exchanges with UT some time ago about this topic.

Now I'm enjoying more time away from the hospital. Getting out of the grind a little in exchange for creating some pretty amazing memories with loved ones.

I'm not loosing steam by any means... mainly cuz I love what I do.

I'm trying to refocus on a healthy body, mind, and spirit.

It's easy to get used to working hard... After a while it just becomes normal.... but before you know it you are 40 something and missed out on some good years.

Oh you are so right on this. :thumbup:

Agree on the grudges and fights... disagree about life insurance discussion.

Its VERY EASY to get caught up in the rat race, especially as a resident or young attending... I must do more, I must read more, I must study more, I must join this committee, must make partner, must get published again, must do this, must do that... Sometimes it takes something as tragic as this to open your eyes to the fact that just because you're young, doesn't mean you're invincible. While I never met him, I think it is safe to say that just over a year ago, UTSW was in the prime of his life and never thought for a second that this was how things would play out... nobody does.

Though out the years, UTSW has made innumerable excellent and educational posts, concerning all aspects of anesthesia, and not just about what goes on in the OR. Again, I never met him, but I think he would be glad in knowing that his passing was fostering discussion.

I'm a healthy 35 yo with no dependents (at least not yet) to worry about... but since this news came out, I have seen my internist for the first time in almost 5 years, and I have a call into my agent to discuss/purchase some life insurance.

Thank you UTSW for opening my eyes. You will be missed.

Frank. :thumbup::thumbup:

Even though I'm not in anesthesiology, I had seen his post about his original diagnosis and started following his blog. It truly does seem like the good ones die far too young. At least he tried to make the most of the time he had after his diagnosis.

Noticed this, this morning, fairly regular lurker here.

ALWAYS appreciated UT's posts - both the information and tenor.

My prayers are with his family today.

DragonsUUUFireUDragon.jpg

Vaya con Dios, UTSouthwestern.

Once again only the good die young.

Followed his posts as a med student. Definitely helped me get into anesthesia.

Then followed his blog over the last year. Always apprehensive about checking the blog after being away for a couple of months.

Its very encouraging that so many of us followed Dr. Wu's final journey through his blog. He wanted to enlighten those who would listen. Mission accomplished Norm.

See you on the other side my friend, Dr. Norman Wu.

Last edited:
Just came back from a hiatus as well and I am saddened and shocked to see this. My thoughts and prayers are with UTSW and his family. He will be missed.