09/12/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's wreck this bad boy.

"Starting defense! Place at the table! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
(5 points to anyone that can pick out what movie that's from)

Members don't see this ad :)
NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo:eek:.....Not mee....:scared::scared:..anyone else but not me.. I feel like an ant that was living under a big rock but this thread has lifted that rock n now i am exposed to the harsh reality of MCAT.. now all the spotlight is on us !!!!.. I guess its crawling time, my fellow 12 sept mcat ants..:rolleyes:

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo:eek:.....Not mee....:scared::scared:..anyone else but not me.. I feel like an ant that was living under a big rock but this thread has lifted that rock n now i am exposed to the harsh reality of MCAT.. now all the spotlight is on us !!!!.. I guess its crawling time, my fellow 12 sept mcat ants..:rolleyes:

qft.

The entire time I've been studying I've been comfortably removed from the reality of taking it. It's always been months away, I've always had time to improve. Now that it's 1 week away, the reality of the thing is suddenly setting in. It's like laying half asleep in bed before you get up. You know you eventually have to get up, but you put off doing so for as long as possible.

Then someone comes in, rips your covers off, tips the mattress and dumps you on the floor.

1 week.

%#$*. :scared:

:idea:maybe...just maybe...I can accomplish more in the one week I left than in the 2 months I've been studying simply because the prospect of the test is more real than ever before.;)

I wish to take the MCAT once and only once
234288.gif
....with no regrets.

So does anyone think this particular test is going to be super difficult b/c it's one of the last administered? I'm a re-taker from 4/18. I took kaplan this time and I feel a lot more prepared. I wonder how the real one compares to the kaplan test. I'm scoring b/w 25-28 on kaplan. I'm taking FL 8 tomorrow. Advice? I'm soooooo nervous.

So does anyone think this particular test is going to be super difficult b/c it's one of the last administered? I'm a re-taker from 4/18. I took kaplan this time and I feel a lot more prepared. I wonder how the real one compares to the kaplan test. I'm scoring b/w 25-28 on kaplan. I'm taking FL 8 tomorrow. Advice? I'm soooooo nervous.

There is no way to predict something like that. The only thing you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I don't know, i haven't done much today as well. Just reading some articles and stuff. I feel tired and just want to get this thing done with. Second time taking it cuz of 8 in verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am SICK n TIRED of this MCAT biaatch... I m gonna crush its jaw on FRIDAY... i will see you guys on the other side.;)

I don't know, i haven't done much today as well. Just reading some articles and stuff. I feel tired and just want to get this thing done with. Second time taking it cuz of 8 in verbal.

buju, I hear you man. I got an 8 on verbal last time. But I haven't done any better. Focussing on my BS score.

Good luck guys! Two of my friends are taking this on 9/12. Just relax and don't let nerves get to you. And RELAX the last couple days before the test. Go exercise, watch movies, hang out with friends, watch TV, etc. I guess that's starting from today. LOL.

ahhh its almost time!! im so ready to be done with all this! besides for having a fear of the test consisting ONLY of all the topics im shakey on...i'm trying to calm myself! Definitely NOT studying at all tomorrow. Not even looking at equations. I have already post-poned this damn thing like 2 times and i am excited to finally just go in and take it!

I'm took this exam april 18th and failed miserably. I took kaplan this time and feel really good this time around. I've been at this test since june of 07. This is it!!!! Good luck to everyone.

-"The world is yours chico, and everything in it"- Tony Montana

I did my last practice test yesterday and I'm going over it tonight. After that I won't even say the words MCAT.....until Friday!
Anyway, best of luck to everybody!

Right now, I'm just baking and going over some stuff (I can't help it :oops:). Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

The MCAT that was easy compared to this stuff.. I wish I were only studying for that...

Good luck everyone

Hope everyone did AMAZING!

Remember the rules, please:
1. No discussion of actual questions/answers.
2. If you aren't sure if the material is off limits, it probably is
3. Keep it vague (IE: a PS passage on electricity, VR on Mozart, BS on Mendelian genetics)
4. Relax, and enjoy your month break before scores come in! :):)

Just finished the test!!!!!

PS- was very straightforward. There were no WTF passages. I felt like I was able to apply everything that I studied. I wasn't taken aback by anything in this section. It wasn't easy but it wasn't crazy.
Subjescts covered
-electricity
-atomic phenomena (energy and photons)
-rxn rates
-thermodynamics
-oxidation
-resistors
-hookes law
-bond enthalpy

VR- hit or miss. I don't think it differed from any other verbal exams I've taken. Praying I got at least an 8.

BS- HARD!!! This section was def hard. Very convoluted passages involving molec genetics (no surprise) two orgo passages one was on edman degradation and the other was on cyclic compounds. A lot of genetics.
-molec genetics (DNA, RNA)
-microbiolgy
-maesthesia Gravis (disease)
-pop genetics (I HATE MICE!!!!!)
-proteins (inhibiting, activating etc...)
-nervous system (disease)

Good luck!!!!

bio was def. wtf for a passage or 2.

But my essays were spectacular, my only regret was not being able to print them for a keepsake.

I agree with the above.

PS- piece of cake.
VR- damn near leisurely.
BS- considered voiding my score. I felt like I had never taken a BS section before. Passages were long and the type that had about 13 different acronyms.

This hopefully is the last time i write this crap. I'm hoping to burn all my books and then flush the ashes down the toilet when the scores are released.

Here's my take on the exam. It had the same topics as the one IkerUnzalu listed.

PS - It was alright, nothing too crazy, but i think I spent too much time studying for details. There were many simple questions that I didn't bother to pay much attention to during studying. But there were also questions that were super specific, especially the passage with the optics.

VR - I think it was better than I was expecting. VR is my biggest problem and the only reason I re-took this test. I think I understood most, if not all, the passages, which usually isn't the case so that was a relief. I always finish with no time left on VR, it was the same deal on the test.

WS - it was pretty good, since I'm Canadian, I need to care about this section.

BS - It was definately long and HARD. Different from AAMC passages. A lot of reading, and ppl are right in saying it is becoming more and more like VR, which sucks. I scored a 14 last time somehow (it was luck i think, didn't score higher than 12 on the practice tests), and am pretty sure I won't score higher than 13 this time. I usually have 10 to 15 minutes remaining on practice tests, today I had to actually rush to finish it.

Overall though, I think it was slightly better than the test I took last year, but who knows.

Keep in mind the BS probably wasn't just difficult for you, it was hard across the board. I can't imagine anyone found that BS section easy. We'll see.

Hey Guys, Ive never posted here before but i wrote the mcat today
definitely wrote the same as you guys, cause i recognize everything...

Anyway, personally:
PS- Not hard, but definitely didnt perform to my potential cause I was super nervous...A little disappointed in myself, but not from lack of studying...It was my first time and my heart was racing which really screwed up my focus.

VR- Fine. Pretty clear.

W - whatever.

BS - I actually thought this was the best. As a grad student it was super easy to understand most of the stuff just from being used to decoding signalling and stuff...But even a 14 here wont help with what cant possibly be higher than an 8 in the PS...prob will have to write again. dammn.

anyway.

congrats!

I started a thread a couple days ago asking for advice to postpone.... I ended up scoring my exam!!!

I'm hoping for the best.... I really feel like I gave it my best shot.

PS - easy!
VR - my downfall.... readable but dont know if i got any of them right :eek:
BS - with the general consensus.... but I went back and counted how many I was questionable on and it was about 10.... so hopefully i got a 10+... who knows really

I'm happy with my decision to score the exam.... I basically decided after the VR section..... If things dont workout I'll be back in Jan!

Good luck to everyone

OMG IT WAS SO HARD NOT LIKE THE AAMC EXAMS AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psyche!

It was definitely a difficult test but nothing mind exploding, nothing much harder than the AAMC practice exams. I don't necessarily think I'll live up to my AAMC 10 score (41), but I don't think I completely **** the bed either.

PS was reasonable. Nothing really stood out to me as hard. Been averaging 14s on my practice exams, will be surprised with less than a 13.

I'm up in the air about VR. Never scored lower than an 11 on my practice exams and I felt alright about it. Only 1 passage that kind of threw me for a bit of a loop but there was always one of those on most practice exams and I'd come back to find I did surprisingly well on them. I think it was the licensing passage, and there were only a couple questions I really had to dwell on there. I found the whole passage pretty ironic though if you think about the MCAT as Step 0 in the medical liscensing process haha! I never know how this section will score though, but somehow I normally end up around a 12.

I also wish I could have printed my WS essays because I thought they were pretty baller. I had a hard time writing the second one though because I have some pretty strong opinions on the topic of personal liberty and I had to find a way to fit a reasonably concise response into the 30 min time-frame, got it done though!

BS was pretty tough. Everyone seems to think so though, and I didn't really freak out about anything, so we'll see.

Was I the only one that didn't have an optics passage? I didn't get an optics passage. Anyone else not get an optics passage?

Was I the only one that didn't have an optics passage? I didn't get an optics passage. Anyone else not get an optics passage?

it was the one about telescopes i think, deciding whether reflective surfaces are better or refractive. Maybe it was a part of one of the other passages, can't remember.

:)

Long time lurker...first time poster.

Figured i'd share some thoughts...overall, not too bad. PS seemed straightforward, which may or may not be a good sign (thinking of what happened to scores on other administrations where one section seems particularly simple) Regardless, i felt pretty good about this section.

Verbal...meh...it was par with AAMCs...a couple kind of tricky....the space ladder one had me giggling for some reason...i was picturing Cpt. Kirk and Scottie in the old star treks for some reason...oh god. Love random mental images during mcat.

BS...ummm. What to say here. I saw the trends toward genetics earlier this summer, but still focused a lot of physio stuff (b/c you never know!). anyway, outside of a few standalone questions, really was zero physio.

most of the standalones were genetics as well. nothing "hard" per say about any of it, just wading through the language of it.

very little orgo, missed one on the edman degration :mad: so i'm pissed at myself over silly mistake there. the only other orgo passage was kind of comical, b/c half the questions had little (or nothing) to do with the passage or could be answered without the passage anyway...

sooooo glad that's over!!!

good luck to us all, and good luck to you guys writing tomorrow!! :luck:

i dont know if the passages were the same for everyone but my passages were:

"Paradise Lost"
Earth and Moon
Laughing
Complexity
Certification and Licensing
Artistotelian vs. Platonian Theatre

I can't remember the last one?

are these ringing a bell for anyone?

Can anybody give me a hint what the last few questions after passage 7 were about in PS?

I finished 8 mins early (usually finish on time-ish) and I'm getting this horrible sinking feeling that I missed a series of questions...

Can anybody give me a hint what the last few questions after passage 7 were about in PS?

I finished 8 mins early (usually finish on time-ish) and I'm getting this horrible sinking feeling that I missed a series of questions...

It's all a blur to me.. i'm actually getting the same horrible sinking feeling since I can't seem to remember my 7th passage in verbal

... although i seem to remember a bunch of questions about either atomic structure or possibly sound intensity....

I think the last few discreets on the ps had one on optics (prism) and oxidation of uhhhhhh a transtion metal. Sorry don't wana break the "rules".

Looks like everyone is feeling just about the same for this MCAT. Here are my thoughts:

Physics - Mainly chemistry based, but overall pretty decent. No real killer passage.

Verbal - This is my weakest section, however I thought it was pretty good. There was one passage however which gave me a lot of trouble, the one on "Milton's Satan", I thought it was an easy read but I found the questions ambiguous.

Writing - Topics weren't bad.

Biology - My strongest section. However, I would have to say I found this section the toughest this time around. Orgo passages were easy, it was the Bio Passages and the discretes that were a little tough.

Looks like everyone is feeling just about the same for this MCAT. Here are my thoughts:

Physics - Mainly chemistry based, but overall pretty decent. No real killer passage.

Verbal - This is my weakest section, however I thought it was pretty good. There was one passage however which gave me a lot of trouble, the one on "Milton's Satan", I thought it was an easy read but I found the questions ambiguous.

Writing - Topics weren't bad.

Biology - My strongest section. However, I would have to say I found this section the toughest this time around. Orgo passages were easy, it was the Bio Passages and the discretes that were a little tough.

I agree about the verbal.. mostly pretty good except for that milton's satan one.. although i cant seem to remember one of the other passage topics

i remember milton's satan, Moon, Laughing, Complexity, Licenses, Artistotelian vs. Platonian Theatre

do you remember any others?

Wow. Done, hopefully.

PS - I found this towards the harder end of the what to expect range; however, they were doable, except I'm not so strong in kinetics.

VR - Didn't have any 16th century language, thankfully. Questions were more ambiguous than average i think. But for me I feel the same for every VR section I do, but don't get the same results. So I don't know

BS - Hard... I usually have an average of 20-25 minutes left before time is up, and get 10-12 on BS, but I almost did not finish (I had to skip reading an ochem passage). Answering some questions felt like answering verbal, b/c I didn't know the language for the harder passage. I felt like I had to "map out" a lot of what's going on, since there were a lot of if A --> B --> C --> D, what happens if knock out B esp. the one on mutations.