09/12/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My studying got very lax toward the end of the summer and thus I postponed my test many times. I ended up getting a 22M. I am very sad, but I didn't really take it with the intention of doing great. However, I'm still young in my undergrad work and I'll be retaking next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
August 2007:
PS 10
VR 10
BS 09
=29N

Sept. 2008:
PS 09
VR 10
BS 14
=33M

I'm super happy with the overall score, but how worried should I be about the one point drop in PS? Also, it should be noted, I never practiced/prepared for the writing section, and I'm not so great at timed writing (obviously).

36R cash!

14P
11V
11B

Spyder:

Here is mine, they might have harsh curves for 9/12/13 test taker:

Got mine, 37S (13P, 12V, 12B), not excited but accepted. I had only 4 weeks to review during the summer, I might do better if I retake but it is too time consuming. 37S is so-so for top MSTP programs which I wish to get into...

By the way, the curves might be harsh for 9/12/13 test takers.

Good luck everyone with your dream scores!!

Good luck Spyder.

Well, didn't think anything could ruin my happy dance, but all of you 36/37 people pooped on my parade. ;)

Oh well, I'm still thrilled!!!

Congrats to all of you who beat the test!

For those who are less than thrilled with their scores, best of luck with your application and (possible) retakes. If you have any questions or concerns you don't want to share with the forums, PM me and I'll be glad to help you out of your MCAT-woes if at all possible! :):)

23N 7,7,9 I never scored lower than a 25 on Kaplan. I actually felt really good when I took it idk what happend but I'm not taking it again. Do you all think I can get into a DO school??

23N 7,7,9 I never scored lower than a 25 on Kaplan. I actually felt really good when I took it idk what happend but I'm not taking it again. Do you all think I can get into a DO school??

Not with that attitude...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not with that attitude...

Give them a break!!! I know quite a few who got in a DO school with 23 or less. I know some who got into DO schools with 16, 18, 14, 17, 19 MCAT scores. So I'm sure they can get in a DO school if the rest of the app. is great.

Give them a break!!! I know quite a few who got in a DO school with 23 or less. I know some who got into DO schools with 16, 18, 14, 17, 19 MCAT scores. So I'm sure they can get in a DO school if the rest of the app. is great.

I know. I have a 23 as well. I'm just saying you need to WANT to go DO.. not just go DO as a backup. Give ME a break!

the average stats for a D.O school such as NYCOM is a 3.2 GPA and a 21 MCAT - 7 in each section. I know 2 people personally who got accepted there w/ 21's and around 3.1 gpas. So it's definitely possible to get in w/ a 23. Some D.O schools are bit more competitive asking for 3.5 and 24 (PCOM I believe?)

Just let the rest of your app speak about your strengths.

VR: 09
BS: 09
PS: 08
WS: N

My AAMC average was 28 so I dropped a couple of points. I've always wanted to go to an osteopathic school, but I don't know if a 26 is good enough with my gpa at 3.1 (BCPM: 2.9). I graduate in spring and I can get the gpa up to 3.2 and science to 3.0. I'll apply next june as early as I can. Any suggestions? I've also considered post-bac SMP. Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

Congrats to all who took the test and got it scored! :thumbup:

V: 11 PS: 11 BS: 11 T = 33T

I honestly don't know how to feel. I've always despised those who complained about getting anything 30+, but now that I'm in this situation I have to admit I was personally expecting 1 or 2 points better. Most of my worries is that I'm a CA resident and I have a slightly below average GPA - nothing scares me more than not getting into med school!

July 2008:
Verbal - 9
Physics - 11
Writing - S
Biology - 13

33S

Excellent score, but I needed to have 10s in Verbal to be considered for Western and safe for Queens, so I re-wrote, it paid off thank God.

September 2008:
Verbal - 11
Physics - 12
Writing - S
Biology - 11

34S

Congrats to all those that got their score!

9 -VR
8 - P
10 - B

Was hoping for better, much better, averaging in the 30s on practice, but really, really nervous for the actual thing. 27N, do you think I should try to retake for DO, specifically OU? I have a 3.1 GPA, but with a 3.9 my last 2 years. Sounds like everyone else did really well, congrats. Personally, I have been crying for the last 5 minutes

Oh, and I am mostly upset because I wanted to get into Wright State in OH and because I was expecting more from myself. Sometimes the day just isn't right.

I know. I have a 23 as well. I'm just saying you need to WANT to go DO.. not just go DO as a backup. Give ME a break!

I don't know how much I believe that. Half the kids I know in DO schools in Fl. and out of Fl. that graduated from USF were kids that could not get into MD schools.

They DID NOT WANT DO!! They did DO because their only choice was such given their numbers, esp. with the MCAT scores. Most had high GPAs but couldn't seem to figure out what they were doing wrong with the MCAT and had no other alternative other then island school or DO. They chose DO ultimately. I would hardly say they need to have an undying passion to go DO prior to MCAT scores coming out to get into such a school. I'm talking about a very large sample size of people too i.e. N= far greater then 30.Not just 1 or 2 people out of my university. So just some food for thought.

ha, yeah i know poodle...I think I'm just going to work real hard on boosting my gpa, and I'll start studying soon for January or April MCAT. Now i have to figure what i'll do during the 1 year after graduation..

VR: 11
PS: 10
BS: 10
WS: T

31T

W00t. I'm estatic.
Is VR 11 that is 84.5-95.2 and a T good enough to teach the verbal section at princeton review or kaplan?

poodle--your MCAT is obviously good enough for D.O. but since you were averaging in 30s, I'd say you should re-take. Meanwhile get that gpa up like me and we should both be fine!

PS - 13
VR - 8
BS - 11
WS - S

I'm devastated since my previous score was 34R and I was scoring a consistent 37-40 on my practice AAMC. It looks like I will be retaking again, but I'm so disillusioned because this will be my fourth time writing the MCAT. I don't know whether I can really deal with this again.

PS 10
VR 11
BS 10

Total 31P

This was my first attempt at the MCAT. I'm a PhD student who has been far removed from this type of studying so I am ecstatic.

Congratulations to everyone.

JB

Thanks for the feedback. It's not that I'm using DO as a backup i'm just thinking realistically. I'm 31 and this is my 2nd time taking it. I've been at this for about a year and a half. I'm burned out with this MCAT Im ready to move forward and if a 23 is good enough for some schools then a 23 it is.

VR: 11
PS: 10
BS: 10
WS: T

31T

W00t. I'm estatic.
Is VR 11 that is 84.5-95.2 and a T good enough to teach the verbal section at princeton review or kaplan?

At TPR u need a 10 or higher in any section to teach. so as long as the deamnd is there ou can teach any section with your scores.

Hey golfin, can't get my GPA up as I have already graduated and I am 26, so I want to get a move on. I know almost for a fact that the deviation from my practice MCATS is anxiety. When the stakes are high, I tend to get really nervous, especially with test taking. With other things I do great under pressure though, presentations, performances, sports, etc. So I don't think my performance as a doctor would be hindered.

DO vs. MD - I don't know how different my life will be if I go to a DO school. I definently believe in the philosophy and have been a beneficiary from the philosophy. However, I have heard that getting a residency can be more difficult and having to explain yourself can be tiring. I don't like having to defend myself or my education; my toleration might be minimal. But from what I hear, if you are a MD under the age of like 60, you don't think any differently of DOs and DOs are treated equally within the practice. If anyone has any first hand experience with this I would like to hear it. I don't want to take the MCAT again and apply for 2010, but maybe it is worth it??

Hey golfin, can't get my GPA up as I have already graduated and I am 26, so I want to get a move on. I know almost for a fact that the deviation from my practice MCATS is anxiety. When the stakes are high, I tend to get really nervous, especially with test taking. With other things I do great under pressure though, presentations, performances, sports, etc. So I don't think my performance as a doctor would be hindered.

DO vs. MD - I don't know how different my life will be if I go to a DO school. I definently believe in the philosophy and have been a beneficiary from the philosophy. However, I have heard that getting a residency can be more difficult and having to explain yourself can be tiring. I don't like having to defend myself or my education; my toleration might be minimal. But from what I hear, if you are a MD under the age of like 60, you don't think any differently of DOs and DOs are treated equally within the practice. If anyone has any first hand experience with this I would like to hear it. I don't want to take the MCAT again and apply for 2010, but maybe it is worth it??
I suggest you shadow a DO.

I was on the fence about DO schools until I shadowed a DO anesthesiologist in San Diego. He didn't explain his degree to anybody.

12 PS
13 VR
11 BS

36Q

Glad to be done! I pretty much got what I'd been scoring on the AAMC practice exams. I remember thinking verbal was harder than the practice ones, so I'm glad that turned out okay.

Seems like our generation is more accepting of DOs alongside with MDs. The couple doctors I know in their 40s/50s still seem to think more of having an MD, and the two DOs I talked to (also in that age range) were sort of defensive when I asked them what exactly the difference between the two degrees was. Maybe they were just tired of being asked.

I've heard that most DO schools teach just like an MD one, not really with the "holistic" philosophy that I see on their websites. I don't know if that's true.

Whatsup 9/12/08 mcat takers...I see you guys got your scores back. It would be appreciated if you answer this quick poll asking you if your real score was higher, the same, or lower than your average practice aamc scores.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561455

Its already up to more than 100 people. So it is the biggest poll/study ive seen yet of its kind. When i was studying for the MCAT i searched for hours on the internet to find a poll like this so i knew if i should be confident with my practice scores. Its here now and its pretty big. Please make it even bigger and answer the poll.

hmmm

13P 9V 10 B, total = 32Q

score is a little skewed...i wonder if that 9 is going to screw me over (considering that the med schools that i would love to go to are einstein and the mount sinai school of medicine)? kind of surprised about that 9, i always got 10s and 11 on the AAMC practice tests. i still have a 3.7 gpa at a really good school.

anyone have an opinion?

Last edited:
hmmm

13P 9V 10 B, total = 32Q

score is a little skewed...i wonder if that 9 is going to screw me over (considering that the med schools that i would love to go to are einstein and the mount sinai school of medicine)? kind of surprised about that 9, i always got 10s and 11 on the AAMC practice tests. i still have a 3.7 gpa at a really good school.

anyone have an opinion?

I think you're fine.... I basically have the same score as you... 11/9/12 Q.... but would you consider mine better? Definitely not! Congrats on your score, dont worry about the lower VR!!

Sooo run down:
Expected - 12/7/10
Thought I killed Physical... which I probably did but the curve I'm sure was very miniscule. Everyone seemed to think this section was easy, which it was.
Verbal, literally thought I got a 0/40. Jumping up and down in joy for a 9.
Bio, Massive curve... this section was WTF!!

I always thought it was unadvisable and totally risky to retake a 30+ score, but here I am actually considering it. It is NOT an easy choice to make. My first reactions were :D followed by :shrug: followed by :confused:. Now I'm hoping someone can look into the future and tell me what I would score if I retake (in January) but i know that's impossible. lol...It feels so weird. I know I don't HAVE to retake but somehow I really want to and don't want to at the same time. aaarrrggg!!!!!

I just called my advisor, she said DO NOT RETAKE! AARRRRRRGG! Has anyone ever retaken against their pre-med advisor's advice?

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the MCAT people to tell you how many you go wrong or how many you left blank? I am convinced there is some sort of error on my MCAT. I was scoring in the mid-30's on all my MCAT practice tests. I left the test day MCAT with a great feeling. To come back with a 27 is a travesty. Something clearly went wrong.

So, to repeat, anyone know a way to get the MCAT people to investigate and let you know how many wrong and such?

I just called my advisor, she said DO NOT RETAKE! AARRRRRRGG! Has anyone ever retaken against their pre-med advisor's advice?

No, but I decided to try to get into medical school 3 years ago when my advisor said I shouldn't even bother and I'd be wasting my time. :p

I always thought it was unadvisable and totally risky to retake a 30+ score, but here I am actually considering it. It is NOT an easy choice to make. My first reactions were :D followed by :shrug: followed by :confused:. Now I'm hoping someone can look into the future and tell me what I would score if I retake (in January) but i know that's impossible. lol...It feels so weird. I know I don't HAVE to retake but somehow I really want to and don't want to at the same time. aaarrrggg!!!!!
If your first impression was :D, it's probably a good score! Don't let sdn change your mind about that. People have different circumstances, some apply mstp, some are cali residents, some have low GPAs that they wanted to make up for with a high MCAT, etc. If someone else retakes a 31 or 32, doesn't mean you have to.