09/12/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My gpa and ECs are alright but i felt like the higher mcat score, the more confidence during the app cycle. I agreed w/ my advisor not to retake so I guess I won't bc what if I do and things don't go as planned? lol the mcat can be very unpredictable sometimes. Maybe i should focus on other parts of my app that I have more control over. At least now i'm early for next cycle :p

Lol I can't believe that you 35+ers aren't more ecstatic than you are!

At any rate previous score 27R

This time around
P 12
V 10
B 11

33S.

I'm freakin stoked and I would actually prefer to go DO so I think this might be enough to cement it for me.

Lol I can't believe that you 35+ers aren't more ecstatic than you are!

At any rate previous score 27R

This time around
P 12
V 10
B 11

33S.

I'm freakin stoked and I would actually prefer to go DO so I think this might be enough to cement it for me.
That's a great score! Congratulations!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but I decided to try to get into medical school 3 years ago when my advisor said I shouldn't even bother and I'd be wasting my time. :p

:laugh::laugh: You should send them a copy of your acceptance letters and ask them if they remember when they told you not to apply. That is if they are still the advisor there.

:laugh::laugh: You should send them a copy of your acceptance letters and ask them if they remember when they told you not to apply. That is if they are still the advisor there.

First of all, I don't have acceptances yet. :p Haha. And second, well I mean, I don't think anything positive can come from just "rubbing it in his face" so to speak. I don't really roll that way.

On the other hand, the only reason I would show him, would be just so that if another student like me comes in to talk to him, he might change his stance slightly. I was determined (stupid?) enough to just march out of his office, ignore him, and never go back, but what if another person who was in a similar position as me takes his comments personally? I wouldn't want that to happen to a younger person...

First of all, I don't have acceptances yet. :p Haha. And second, well I mean, I don't think anything positive can come from just "rubbing it in his face" so to speak. I don't really roll that way.

On the other hand, the only reason I would show him, would be just so that if another student like me comes in to talk to him, he might change his stance slightly. I was determined (stupid?) enough to just march out of his office, ignore him, and never go back, but what if another person who was in a similar position as me takes his comments personally? I wouldn't want that to happen to a younger person...

Your second paragraph makes a point. i wasn't saying that you had already received acceptances, but saying that when you receive acceptances you should do such. And mostly for the purposesyou stated in the second paragraph. I think all advisors are trained to try to sway people away from medicine to test who will actually be determined enough to do what it takes. Either that or they are ignorant.

Your second paragraph makes a point. i wasn't saying that you had already received acceptances, but saying that when you receive acceptances you should do such. And mostly for the purposesyou stated in the second paragraph. I think all advisors are trained to try to sway people away from medicine to test who will actually be determined enough to do what it takes. Either that or they are ignorant.

Yeah it's true...they could be trained to "weed out" those that aren't committed/determined enough. I guess, in a way I owe him a slight debt of gratitude because his comments just made me want it more.

Yeah it's true...they could be trained to "weed out" those that aren't committed/determined enough. I guess, in a way I owe him a slight debt of gratitude because his comments just made me want it more.

Yah I say that because if I had a quarter for each time an advisor has said that to people I care about or myself or others on SDN or elsewhere, I'd be a rich person by now.

I think I remember years ago when I was working with residence services something being told to me about how advisors actually go to a special degree program to become school advisors. Its similar to the program that resident directors and resident supervisors in dorms go to. Something about a College of Student Affairs or something like that.

That was a long time ago. I think advisors are not people who always work losely with adcoms for med schools but people who are trained to say certain things. I've seen at USF and I've seen stories of it on SDN all the time. I've seen it elsewhere too.

So there could be a degree of truth to it. who knows. maybe one of these days I'll ask Leila Amiri, the current associate director of admissions at USF Health, seeing that she was a premed advisor for 12 years. It would be interesting to hear her response. But that would be down the road.

ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE MCAT FOR MEEEE

July 08:
30M: 7V, 12B, 11P

Sept 08
33M!!! : 11V, 10B, 12P

A little disappointed about the M in writing but I really didn't practice it (just like that person in a previous post)

Applying this year. Never taking MCAT again.

Congrats to everyone on the scores:D

ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE MCAT FOR MEEEE

July 08:
30M: 7V, 12B, 11P

Sept 08
33M!!! : 11V, 10B, 12P

A little disappointed about the M in writing but I really didn't practice it (just like that person in a previous post)

Applying this year. Never taking MCAT again.

Congrats to everyone on the scores:D

Congratulations!

the average stats for a D.O school such as NYCOM is a 3.2 GPA and a 21 MCAT - 7 in each section. I know 2 people personally who got accepted there w/ 21's and around 3.1 gpas. So it's definitely possible to get in w/ a 23. Some D.O schools are bit more competitive asking for 3.5 and 24 (PCOM I believe?)

Just let the rest of your app speak about your strengths.
From when, 2003?? I think it's MUCH higher now.

From when, 2003?? I think it's MUCH higher now.

yeah I'm sure the averages are higher. However, so are Nova's averages higher. yet there are quite a few people I know who got in with a 21-23 range on the MCAT. So it depends on GPA and other factors like ECs and LORs.

Give them a break!!! I know quite a few who got in a DO school with 23 or less. I know some who got into DO schools with 16, 18, 14, 17, 19 MCAT scores. So I'm sure they can get in a DO school if the rest of the app. is great.

Would you mind telling me what DO schools did those who got a 16, 18, 14, 17, and 19 MCAT get into? It would give me piece of mind about my score. I got a 14Q and I have a 3.34 science GPA and a 3.45 overall. I'm retaking the MCAT in January and hoping to do A LOT better and apply to DO.

Would you mind telling me what DO schools did those who got a 16, 18, 14, 17, and 19 MCAT get into? It would give me piece of mind about my score. I got a 14Q and I have a 3.34 science GPA and a 3.45 overall. I'm retaking the MCAT in January and hoping to do A LOT better and apply to DO.

check your PMs.

You need to bring up your GPA if you have a low MCAT score and the person with a 14 retook and got it to the 17 as I said in the PM I sent you. Most people had high GPAs i.e. 3.6-3.9+ who got in with low scores, so you need to bring it up a few points. I think you should hold of on applying and retake. If you got a 14 it means you probably didn't know your sciences as well. A low verbal is one thing esp. if you are not an English native speaker but low sciences show lack of true understanding of it. i'm not the smartest genius out there which you'd see if you saw my ugrad transcripts. But I tend to think that if I can get my sciences higher then it is possible for you to do so.

I really think you should try to raise it by 10 points at the very least to get a chance. I mean just because I know people with these scores that got into DO schools does not mean you will get in with such low scores esp. as medical school becomes more competitive each year.

Last but not least, I only brought up the point I made because they said someone with a 23 couldn't get into DO school. A 23 might be high enough to get into a DO school even today. However, a 14 will probably not cut it. At the time LECOM B let someone in with those scores of 14 and 17, there was no cutoff. Today I believe they have a minimum of 21. Not sure about the main campus. The person who got in with a 19 there, did so a few years ago. I'm pretty sure both had solid GPAs and great LORs, ECs, and what not. At the time the person with the 14 and 17 got in, LECOM B was new and they did nto graduall increase their seat numbers so that they'd get a competitive pool but started with 160 from the get go which made it difficult to get the best applicants possible.