1 science faculty LOR - school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivers322

Reaction score
To summarize, should I get a second science LOR even though it may be impersonal/hella old just so I can apply to those schools that have the 2 science requirement? Or just not even bother applying to those schools? (the ones on my list so far are creighton, evms (reapplicant but never sent secondaries), drexel (reapplicant), usf, and temple)

Currently I have a LOR from a bio professor (took 2 classes with him <25 students each in 2018 spring and fall), and another LOR from sociology professor (took a health and society class with her fall 2018), these are my only 2 faculty letters. Also have a LOR from a PA I worked closely with as a scribe 2019-2020 and one from the current physician I scribe for 2020-now. I had a pretty close relationship with all these people and feel pretty good about the quality of the letters :) (obv I can't know for sure lol)

Would it be better to reach out to my chem 102 (fall 2016) professor (who probably remembers who I am) so that I can apply to schools who require 2 science faculty letters (she is no longer teaching and I don't even think she actually had a PhD or anything). It was a small class and she was really kooky, was super active in the class, kept in touch the next semester as well, also took her husband's chem course and did well, but he is a VERY esteemed prof and there's just no way he remembers me lol. All my other science classes were huge lecture halls/had professors who def don't remember me/took the class during a rough semester and just did not do well. Given she may be my best shot at a semi personal letter, should I just eliminate those schools from my list? If it's not worth asking my chem 102 prof for a letter, I don't mind emailing the admissions for schools I really care about to ask them about how strict their 2 science rule is and whether they would accept my research LOR instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. Graduated in 2017 and did a couple years of post bacc. Only 1 science LOR and my schools didn't have committees. Can't find any professor from years past that remember me well enough to be comfortable enough writing a science LOR.

I mean if schools are super strict then yes I would get it. If they will let you substitute it then don't worry. Remember like 75% of LOR are generic, and there is a handful that are great or awful.