12 AM to 6 AM Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's late, I'm bored, and it's time to bring back this thread. Anyone else awake at 4:42 AM and want to chat? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well hello!

I'm technically on vacation and back home visiting the family. Things are going fairly well aside from a bad flare up of a med issue (hence awake at this hour). But been getting good homemade food from gma, mutts are behaving well, mom's been behaving well, no well meaning more distant relatives overstaying their welcome thus far, and I managed to turn 33 two days ago without earning myself a darwin award!

:p

by the way, am I allowed to post if it is not 12AM-6AM in my time zone?
will adcom look down on this? how should I classify this as an EC? am I going to the Caribbeans?

Reactions: 3 users
by the way, am I allowed to post if it is not 12AM-6AM in my time zone?
will adcom look down on this? how should I classify this as an EC? am I going to the Caribbeans?
Dude(tte), you totally ruined my thread. Therefore, I just blackballed you at every med school in the country. Sorry, better luck next app season.

I dunno. I mean it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?
It's currently 5AM here in FL. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Dude(tte), you totally ruined my thread. Therefore, I just blackballed you at every med school in the country. Sorry, better luck next app season.

1. dude
2. going to the caribbeans anyway
3. not applying this season
4. it is now 7 AM
2554910.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Oh hey, I'm awake again.

I am apparently the only one in my immediate family who can stay awake for an entire movie.
Ha, my parents can stay up half the night watching some movie or series on Netflix. Me, ain't nobody got time for that. It's actually annoying that they STILL want to watch TV when they come visit me. I'm like, you guys watch TV for several hours every day at home. Why do you want to watch it here? But they kvetched enough about it that I finally did get a TV, which I never watch except when they come to visit. :rolleyes:

Ha, my parents can stay up half the night watching some movie or series on Netflix. Me, ain't nobody got time for that. It's actually annoying that they STILL want to watch TV when they come visit me. I'm like, you guys watch TV for several hours every day at home. Why do you want to watch it here? But they kvetched enough about it that I finally did get a TV, which I never watch except when they come to visit. :rolleyes:

Turning on a movie seems to be about the only way my grandma and i can disengage my mom from her cell phone

Turning on a movie seems to be about the only way my grandma and i can disengage my mom from her cell phone
Hmm. My mom has a cell, but she primarily uses her landline. So getting her out of her house is an effective way of cutting her off. On the other hand, when I go to their house, I always have to remember to unplug the phone in the guest room. It rings nonstop from about 9AM to 9 PM. Why all these old ladies in this retirement community who literally see each other every day feel the need to also spend hours talking to each other on the phone is a little beyond me. But they do.

As a side note, I don't think I'm cut out for a retirement community. It's the social equivalent of a high school full of catty crones in cliques. For real, some of these biddies are seriously mean when they decide they don't like someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. dude
2. going to the caribbeans anyway
3. not applying this season
4. it is now 7 AM
View attachment 197248
1. Wait, what?!?
2. St Maarten and sea turtles it is :)
3. you're gonna be with me? I won't be "all by myself" ??

When I was young... many, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Wait ... nvm.

I am a dude...? stop making me questioning my gender!!
1. Wait, what?!?

... at least sea turtles don't blacklist me from medical schools, they accept me for who I am *sniff*
2. St Maarten and sea turtles it is :)

3. you're gonna be with me? I won't be "all by myself" ??

When I was young... many, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Wait ... nvm.

Oh man. I'm early tonight but I just got off work so it's time to Wang Chung tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
... at least sea turtles don't blacklist me from medical schools, they accept me for who I am *sniff*

Here we go. You & me, on St Maarten; I'll accept you for who you are but do you like CRONES???? :)

Gawd it's five thirty in the morning. Going to Chicago this week and just had a dream that I got on the wrong flight, ended up in Utah (?!?), and missed my interview. Har.

Sitting here in the break room of the CTICU on break... Stealthily checking SDN and reading my chem notes in the corner of the unit between assessments and meds...

So this is what this thread looks like at 1AM... look, I'm contributing properly!

Felt like bumping this up. It's 0150. I have Night Float weekend. Meaning I have to make myself sleep-deprived the night before so that I can (poorly) adapt to sleeping in the daytime.

The "joys" you all are vying to attain. It's not too late to reconsider!

Felt like bumping this up. It's 0150. I have Night Float weekend. Meaning I have to make myself sleep-deprived the night before so that I can (poorly) adapt to sleeping in the daytime.

The "joys" you all are vying to attain. It's not too late to reconsider!

Worked nights for 5 years, did that flipping every week twice a week for between day class and night work. I don't miss that crap and don't envy you having to not only do it but also not kill anyone while doing it.

Resetting my sleep schedule for a weekend of ER night shifts, myself. This is the one part I'm already used to :)

Up with a bawling newborn who will only sleep if I sing along (badly) to stupid top 40 songs. DJ Namenerd is now taking requests.

Up late stressing about a Monday exam cruising the nontrad pre-med boards because it's reminding me to be grateful for where I am even though it means getting royally spanked by Neuro

I just got home from work a little while ago. Posting late to this thread, but I'm posting here anyway since I was up all night getting my butt kicked. (I'm a nocturnist, so this is my norm.) Speaking as someone who regularly lives on the reverse schedule as the rest of the world (including staying up all night on my nights off), my advice is to flip back and forth as little as possible. While pulling all-nighters in your 40s is not fun, if you get on a regular schedule, being up nights and sleeping days is doable. Until I quit my current job, I will likely continue to work all nights. Once I'm a fellow, then those, ahem, days are over. Of course, as a resident, your ability to control your schedule is sadly limited, and yeah, you kind of have to suck up three years of feeling chronically jetlagged without having had any fun the night before....

Even after 12 years of working nights, I still haven't gotten used to it. The first night back is always horrible. The first day off doesn't count. One thing I absolute love though is I can study at nights,

Hooray, "just getting home" posts allowed!

Speaking as someone who regularly lives on the reverse schedule as the rest of the world (including staying up all night on my nights off), my advice is to flip back and forth as little as possible. While pulling all-nighters in your 40s is not fun, if you get on a regular schedule, being up nights and sleeping days is doable.

Man, I wish this were an option. One job does days/nights/24s predictably on the 6's, but the other...yeesh. Big staff shortage = um..."inventive" scheduling recently. Even our normal shift times are getting messed up; I've rolled some 3a to 11a's lately to fill poorly-staffed holes.

I'd assumed residents were similarly at the mercy of shift-flipping craziness (I have no idea, we don't have residents here), but it's nice to know there's some light at the end of the tunnel :D

Last edited:
Oh, just getting home posts allowed, eh?

Started my night at 8pm. Just getting home. I had the pleasure of watching a septic patient slowly die for 6 hrs. While handling the Cardiac Care Unit phone and doing admissions. Day teams arrived, no new admissions (since we got capped). Tada! Melatonin. Sleep mask. Bed. Do it again next weekend...speaking of shift-flipping.

How about getting off of floors/gen med, into cozy electives for a month, but getting assigned NF weekends for 3/4 of those weekends????? :wtf::boom:

It's 2AM in humid Florida. Anyone awake out there? I finally won over my fear of dentists and went for a six-hour appointment yesterday. Now I've got a temporary crown that feels so weird it's keeping me awake. Go figure. =/

The last of my NF weekends due up tomorrow. And be it as it may, my LAST NF weekend as an intern!! Then finally the following weekend... a golden weekend!!!!

I've voiced my gripes to the new Chiefs (as the intern who far and away had the MOST NF weekends, including all of the "holiday" 3 day weekends, Halloween, Super Bowl Sunday, Daylight Savings Time/1 hour extra of NF) but I doubt I'll get away w/ NO NF weekends as a resident. So it's just a matter of time.

Stay woke all-nighters. Stay woke.