12 AM to 6 AM Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Working my first graveyard shift as a scribe in the ED. Interesting. Was busy, then verrrrrrry slow. Started working on some secondaries. Now three ambulances are on the way right when I was getting in the swing of an essay!
 
Working my first graveyard shift as a scribe in the ED. Interesting. Was busy, then verrrrrrry slow. Started working on some secondaries. Now three ambulances are on the way right when I was getting in the swing of an essay!

I swear any time you work in an environment where emergencies happen you jinx yourself trying to study. I worked in the bloodbank of a level one trauma center and finally had to give up trying to study. Badness always seemed to happen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG_0944.JPG
 
Feel exhausted tonight. Didn't have enough sleep 🙁. Getting my ass kicked in sparring didn't help either. /vent
 
On a reverse 24, just got to my daytime station after a night of two rollover wrecks, a quadruple shooting, trauma code on a 45 minute transport, and hostage situation. 11h 12m left in the day, hup hup!
 
Looks like we all got our asses handed to us. That Death guy almost made me wanna throw in the towel last night, ugh.
 
Also happily off tonight, but working next few nights. Have been spending my night off reading, going grocery shopping, and doing laundry (after calling my dad to wish him a happy Father's Day, of course). Went for a run too. Now I'm going to make homemade pesto with the fresh cilantro I bought earlier (which I like to use instead of basil). Hope everyone else is having a good night too. If you can, go outside for a minute or two and look at the full moon. It's gorgeous.
 
Well, my almost 2-yo daughter has been sick the last two days with croup. She woke up at 0045 after biting her tongue and bleeding all over herself. It's 0123 now, and I have duty tomorrow with the 0130-0630 watch and then immediately following that, a really long, dangerous evolution. My wife is currently trying to nurse her back to sleep. Praying my 5-month old doesn't decide this would be a good time to wake up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also happily off tonight, but working next few nights. Have been spending my night off reading, going grocery shopping, and doing laundry (after calling my dad to wish him a happy Father's Day, of course). Went for a run too. Now I'm going to make homemade pesto with the fresh cilantro I bought earlier (which I like to use instead of basil). Hope everyone else is having a good night too. If you can, go outside for a minute or two and look at the full moon. It's gorgeous.

I stepped outside for a bit and it really is beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky and just so peaceful. This would be perfect camping weather here.

But back to studying I go.
 
Well, my almost 2-yo daughter has been sick the last two days with croup. She woke up at 0045 after biting her tongue and bleeding all over herself. It's 0123 now, and I have duty tomorrow with the 0130-0630 watch and then immediately following that, a really long, dangerous evolution. My wife is currently trying to nurse her back to sleep. Praying my 5-month old doesn't decide this would be a good time to wake up.
Ah, nothing like a crying chorus of sick small children in the wee hours of the morning. You have my sympathy.

I stepped outside for a bit and it really is beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky and just so peaceful. This would be perfect camping weather here.

But back to studying I go.
Glad you stepped out for a minute. 👍

Just want to say for the record that the pesto came out amazing. Prego and Ragu ain't got nothin' on me. Heh.
 
How about that moon, still brilliant tonight! Just finishing up a presentation on PANDAS. Fun Fun.

I didn't see that moon 🙁.

2 days off after this!!! Wooohooo. I'm excited. Planning to do some BJJ, hang out with family and volunteer in clinic. All the things I love to do. Going to be great .
 
I can't sleep.

Have to get up for work in 3 hrs.

Warning, complaint fest about to ensue...

Relocating and selling a house in stressful, especially when you relocate and start your job before you sell your house and lots of phone tagging is required but you don't get cell service at your new job.

And the AC isn't working at your rental place and the property manager is a little flakey and it's taking forever to get someone to come fix it. So you're staying with grandma because it's hot but the guest bed sucks and the poor dogs aren't eating very well because there's no routine and they don't know where home is yet.

And your car's check engine light in the car is on but nobody in this rural town is comfortable working on your kia so you get told to take it to a dealership, nearest one being 4 hour driveaway. New job so no vacation time acrrued yet.

And the property manager can't find your mailbox key so you need to go to the post office, which is apparently only open from 830-12 and 100-345, when you work. guess those bills won't be getting paid.

And you're paying a crapton of money for COBRA insurance to cover until the new stuff kicks in but still got rejected when you tried to refill your Rx that you're almost out of.

Among other things.

Yeah, I can't sleep. Wonder why?

:bang:
 
Was starting to wonder if there was a thread like this. This is my third overnight shift as a scribe in the ER this week. Im starting to get used to staying up all night. For me if I can get over the 5 AM hump/slump (which hit me like a ton of ambien tonight) Im fine and wide awake. Until that long drive home that is when the sun is just creeping out ever slowly. Almost as slow as me driving 50 mph down the expressway, eyes hell-bent on closing shut despite slapping myself awake every few hundred yards.

I have so much more respect for hospitalists, intensivists, ER docs, nurses, etc. after working these shifts. To think they sometimes do this 4 nights in a row in situations where they have to make crucial decisions, not just typing away on a computer and perusing SDN.
 
Last edited:
Was starting to wonder if there was a thread like this. This is my third overnight shift as a scribe in the ER this week. Im starting to get used to staying up all night. For me if I can get over the 5 AM hump/slumo (which hit me like a ton of ambien tonight) Im fine and wide awake. Until that long drive home that is when the sun is just creeping out ever slowly. Almost as slow as me driving 50 mph down the expressway, eyes hell-bent on closing shut despite slapping myself awake every few hundred yards.

I have so much more respect for hospitalists, intensivists, ER docs, nurses, etc. after working these shifts. To think they sometimes do this 4 nights in a row in situations where they have to make crucial decisions, not just typing away on a computer and perusing SDN.
I'm coming off night four of seven in a row. You get used to it when you do it all the time. I live my whole life in reverse, where I even stay up at night and sleep during the day during the time when I'm off unless I'm on vacation visiting my family. Then I change to days to accommodate their schedules. But there's a good reason why I live within walking distance of the hospital. And after I leave this job, I won't be doing nights like this any more.
 
I'm coming off night four of seven in a row. You get used to it when you do it all the time. I live my whole life in reverse, where I even stay up at night and sleep during the day during the time when I'm off unless I'm on vacation visiting my family. Then I change to days to accommodate their schedules. But there's a good reason why I live within walking distance of the hospital. And after I leave this job, I won't be doing nights like this any more.

She's not kidding. you go to hang out with Q, you're like...you're supposed to be sleeping i guess i'll take a nap and wait...f@ck though...i can't sleep in the middle of the day...then she's up...and ready to go...you're like alright let's do this...then you get tired before the hang is through...then it's sunrise... and you feel like an Eagles song for some reason.
 
She's not kidding. you go to hang out with Q, you're like...you're supposed to be sleeping i guess i'll take a nap and wait...f@ck though...i can't sleep in the middle of the day...then she's up...and ready to go...you're like alright let's do this...then you get tired before the hang is through...then it's sunrise... and you feel like an Eagles song for some reason.

@QofQuimica So this is what I have to look forward to?
 
@QofQuimica So this is what I have to look forward to?
I just want to say for the record that Nas is a total lightweight when it comes to slumber parties. He didn't even come close to staying up until sunrise. Which he only saw because I made him get up for it. 😛

You, on the other hand, are an old night shift pro. I expect much better from you.
 
I just want to say for the record that Nas is a total lightweight when it comes to slumber parties. He didn't even come close to staying up until sunrise. Which he only saw because I made him get up for it. 😛

You, on the other hand, are an old night shift pro. I expect much better from you.

hmmmm. I think the good citizenry of the nontrad board know who to trust. When it comes remembering the exact details of stuff.

Of course. I think you and I can agree. That its best we both forget some of the details. You know. For the children and good Christian folk among us.

#boom #nontradSoapoperaticIntrigue #SalaciousRumors

You're welcome people.

Try to remember who brings you this stuff when I seem all grumpyMcGrumperson
 
I'm bumping this up in anticipation of weekend Night Float. The messed up s*** that it is where the powers that be throw your entire sleep-wake cycle off for 2 nights (Friday & Saturday), as is expected of you occasionally.

I was actually settling into something resembling a decent circadian rhythm and go figure, it's my turn to do Night Float. As I was abused as an intern last year, I'm grateful that aside from one (super f'ing lame jeopardy/emergency) coverage, I've gotten to December w/o NF. However, as stated I was abused as an intern, including 3 weekends out of 4 and having done the MOST of my batch by at least 2 weekends. My chiefs have merely structured the schedule more fairly.

If anyone is awake, I'll answer any questions. Pre-med. Med school. PGY-1 intern year. PGY-2 (so far).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad