12 AM to 6 AM Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not terribly interesting, no -- most really aren't. But the patient had a great sense of humor.

What is the best way to land an EMT volunteer position?

Call your local fire station(s) and tell them you're interested. In my region, stations will provide or sponsor any level of EMT and/or EVOC (drivin' the bus) training for newbies; yours may be the same. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Not terribly interesting, no -- most really aren't. But the patient had a great sense of humor.

Call your local fire station(s) and tell them you're interested. In my region, stations will provide or sponsor any level of EMT and/or EVOC (drivin' the bus) training for newbies; yours may be the same. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
these days it's just sleep eat make a few bucks sleep and repeat.
Kind of like the story of my life, only minus the opportunities for sleeping, eating, or making a few bucks. Hmm. Now that I think about it, it's nothing like my life. :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 user
Just read the mcat essentials guide on the AAMC website. What a great read learned alot about the exam!

I'm awake. It's 3:34 a.m. here. Post night shift so sleeps off and I'm try to decide if I should sleep a few more ours til the mutts get up so I'm on more of a day schedule for the week, or download some light reading and enjoy the quiet time.

Ambulance call again, and this one might've actually been a lifesaver. The adrenaline's still flowing and I've got class in the morning. It'll be a long day!

Ambulance call again, and this one might've actually been a lifesaver. The adrenaline's still flowing and I've got class in the morning. It'll be a long day!
What, all the "intoxicated, metabolize to freedoms" and "fevers to 99.2 for five minutes" don't count as lives saved?

Just took one of those Facebook quizzes. "What state do you actually belong in?" I got Ohio. This is funny to me as one of my dream schools is located there.

On the ther hand, despite having not ever actually been there, I don't know that I'd see that as a place I'd see myself long term. I've always envisioned myself more in the Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Wash., or Minnesota areas. ie. trees, water, outdoor stuff galore, easy access to places where people are few and far between, that sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took one of those Facebook quizzes. "What state do you actually belong in?" I got Ohio. This is funny to me as one of my dream schools is located there.

On the ther hand, despite having not ever actually been there, I don't know that I'd see that as a place I'd see myself long term. I've always envisioned myself more in the Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Wash., or Minnesota areas. ie. trees, water, outdoor stuff galore, easy access to places where people are few and far between, that sort of thing.
They did a pretty good job at narrowing mine down. Like they pint pointed northern Ca, which where I moved away from hahaa.

@wholeheartedly did you apply this cycle? 2013-2014?

They did a pretty good job at narrowing mine down. Like they pint pointed northern Ca, which where I moved away from hahaa.

@wholeheartedly did you apply this cycle? 2013-2014?

Nope, I decided to hold off due to financial and other concerns. I've accepted a promotion at work and intend to apply June 2016, barring absolutely hating the new job or some other major game changer.

What the....how can a survey possibly ask questions that would be relevant to telling you which state you belong in? What does that even mean? I can tell you that I belong in a state that has warm weather and no income tax, now that I'm about to have an income. I don't need facebook to tell me that.

OH is probably more rural than you think. Amish country and all.

I'm awake. I had Starbucks w/ a gal I kinda like, probably a lil too late in the day. I probably shoulda got decaf, but that's lame lol I was angling for some Valentine's day activity ;)

wholeheartedly you basically listed off why I want to do rural med. I lived basically my whole life in a large city (Chicago for at least 30. Got some Baltimore under my belt too). And...I don't like it.

I sometimes wonder why I wasn't able to be a traditional student, but that me is different than me now. That me would have strived to go back to Chicago, live in the glitzy part of town so I could party it up and basically live the dream life of a 30-something who makes a decent wage. YUCK! It's cringeworthy to me now.

I want wide open spaces. Mountains to hike/climb/ski. Be away from the hustle and bustle. Probably never see a traffic jam. Smell fresh air. See a billion stars when I look up at nite.

Granted I DO want to be around 2 hrs away from a major metropolitan area. I am Filipino. I need some "Asian groceries" and I do still have a fondness for cosmopolitan offerings, but I KNOW I'd rather be a country boy who can visit the big city, as opposed to the other way around.

Q you crack me up sometimes. Are you always so analytical? lol YES, FB quizzes are highly unscientific, however people do seem to have fun taking them. Knowing uh, which character in Game Of Thrones they are like, or where they should live. The validity of those tests should equate to nil! p-values humongous! :)

I'm awake. I had Starbucks w/ a gal I kinda like, probably a lil too late in the day. I probably shoulda got decaf, but that's lame lol I was angling for some Valentine's day activity ;)

wholeheartedly you basically listed off why I want to do rural med. I lived basically my whole life in a large city (Chicago for at least 30. Got some Baltimore under my belt too). And...I don't like it.

I sometimes wonder why I wasn't able to be a traditional student, but that me is different than me now. That me would have strived to go back to Chicago, live in the glitzy part of town so I could party it up and basically live the dream life of a 30-something who makes a decent wage. YUCK! It's cringeworthy to me now.

I want wide open spaces. Mountains to hike/climb/ski. Be away from the hustle and bustle. Probably never see a traffic jam. Smell fresh air. See a billion stars when I look up at nite.

Granted I DO want to be around 2 hrs away from a major metropolitan area. I am Filipino. I need some "Asian groceries" and I do still have a fondness for cosmopolitan offerings, but I KNOW I'd rather be a country boy who can visit the big city, as opposed to the other way around.

Q you crack me up sometimes. Are you always so analytical? lol YES, FB quizzes are highly unscientific, however people do seem to have fun taking them. Knowing uh, which character in Game Of Thrones they are like, or where they should live. The validity of those tests should equate to nil! p-values humongous! :)

Come to NM, we got plenty of open spaces, as a matter of fact, you can stand on a little hill and see miles and miles away. It is rare that we dont see beautiful sunset and sunrise like this one, very photogenic....amazing thing about it is, go about 50 miles and the scenery will be completely different, with red dirt, white dirt, white sand, brown dirt...you name it lol
tumblr_lnmxf2fFRj1qlv8oco1_1280.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Cool pic. @QofQuimica you should see the questions they ask, like which celebrity do you like best when I didn't know half of them and which restaurant do you like best when I hadn't eaten at ANY of them, lol. Although I did get a kick out of the fact that my former home state of ND was actually a possibility.

I'm on the same page as Gflip, obviously since I'm interested I academic medicine I'll need to be close to a big city, but I'd rather not be in it. Which is why where I'm at now is actually a pretty good fit, minus me really getting sick of the long stretches of subzero temps. 100k people, that doesn't feel anywhere near that big, great medical center, 10 minute drive and I'm in the country and can hit up some great bike trails, etc. It would be entirely possible to own a house on some acreage here and still have just a 10-15 minute drive to work. Plus, an hour and a half drive or so and I can be in a major metro area. Just want a break from the cold.

CO would be nice. Still have 4 seasons, but I've heard there's a lot more days of sunshine and not so bitter cold.

On the other hand, I could work as an ID doc and do research at the NIHs Rocky Mountain Lab in MT and that would probably be a cool arrangement as well :)

*edit. I retook it and only changed a couple answers I was waffling on. Got Alaska this time. That makes much more sense.

Last edited:
Speaking of ridiculous, zillow currently has my home value at 214,000. Man if I could actually get anywhere near that when I sold...

Strangely when I bought the place the value was listed at 20k less than what I paid. I really need to fix the place up and see what the real estate agent says.

Me too, except for the being Filipino part. :p

I'm going to be moving to a small city that is less than an hour away from two larger cities. Should be perfect.

Q, you crack me up sometimes. Are you always so analytical? lol YES, FB quizzes are highly unscientific, however people do seem to have fun taking them. Knowing uh, which character in Game Of Thrones they are like, or where they should live. The validity of those tests should equate to nil! p-values humongous! :)
Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I've never even heard of Game of Thrones. And sorry for the over-analysis, but I just have to wonder what the meaning of the quiz is supposed to be. Are they arguing that certain states have certain personalities or cultures? Kind of true, I guess, but then what happens to a schizophrenic state like FL whose northern and southern halves are so different?

Cool pic. @QofQuimica you should see the questions they ask, like which celebrity do you like best when I didn't know half of them and which restaurant do you like best when I hadn't eaten at ANY of them, lol. Although I did get a kick out of the fact that my former home state of ND was actually a possibility.
I wouldn't know any of them either. Someone told me once how good I must be at Trivial Pursuit, given how much I read and all. But I'm actually not very good at it, because I never know any of the popular culture items. :oops:

My cousin lives in ABQ. I can say it's on my list. Just not as high up on the list as some of my big faves. I admit I never visited either tho.

My biggies are (based on being at least 2 hr radius away from the following metro areas) Portland, OR Seattle, WA Denver, CO Reno, NV. My 1st luv is PNW (obviously). An extremely close 2nd is CO. The "tie-breaker" between those two is based on CO being land-locked. Portland is 40 mins away from the ocean. Like Seattle.

Reno is only 30-40 mins to Lake Tahoe, which is so huge, I'd pretend it was like the ocean, and only +3hrs away from SF, CA which is a HUGE metro area.

Q if we ever tagged up for a trivia nite in a bar, I'd have all pop culture covered, particularly music covering 50's to present. So we'd dominate lol

1:22am
Up because I have a million and one things going thru my head

Hoping they turn off so I can get some zzz's

At job #2, hospital med-surg floor. Patient around the hall is howling Mustang Sally over and over. Gradually everyone at the nurses' station started singing it. Tad surreal right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't get to sleep again. And before a Monday! Boo. Bad way to start the week. I should be reviewing my ochem test that i didn't do great on but oh well. Was so anxious about mcat scores and didn't study for my class at all. Now it's been almost a week since I got the scores back. Not going to retake (I don't think). Gotta get my butt into gear!!

Anyone else awake? I fell asleep for a few hours after I got home from work, and now here I am wide awake for no good reason except my stupid circadian rhythm is completely shot.

Still wired from the gym 3 hours ago so I'm skimming the syllabi for classes that begin on Monday (those that are available), pretty excited for this immunology course I'm taking. Taught by the same professor I had for Emerging Infectious Disease, his lectures had some pretty awesome real-life experiences.

God am I glad to be on an indefinite break from the suck that is night shift yo-yo ing.
You are hereby banned from posting in this thread anymore. However, I will make an exception if you happen to develop insomnia one night and want to post during usual thread business hours.

Whelp, it's 0327, and I'm the duty supervisor for my ambulance service tonight. All the crews are tucked in since about 2200, I've done unit inspections, finished my quarterly trauma report, hopped in the POV and went to the 24hr McD's for a cheeseburger. Downhill until shift change. Trying to reason with the fact that when my OMS 1 year starts in about 6 weeks, this will all be over.

Tired but can't sleep after another nights to days transition, even though I purposely only took a three hour nap yesterday so that I'd be able to sleep tonight. And now I have to get up in less than four hours for a thirteen hour ICU shift. If anyone finds my lost circadian rhythm, please, I'm desperate to get it back.

Tired but can't sleep after another nights to days transition, even though I purposely only took a three hour nap yesterday so that I'd be able to sleep tonight. And now I have to get up in less than four hours for a thirteen hour ICU shift. If anyone finds my lost circadian rhythm, please, I'm desperate to get it back.

You left it back in MS2.

Along the lines of the Friday night thread, we need a thread for those of us who are up till the wee hours on any day of the week. (I seem to recall there being a similar thread in PA.) So, here we go. If you're up between midnight and 6AM your time, and you feel like chatting with some other nontrad night owls, you've come to the right thread.

I'm once again in the ICU overnight, just me and a PA. (My intern has the night off.) So far I have pronounced a patient dead, filled out the death packet, and sedated/restrained an agitated patient who tried to punch one of the nurses. I'm now waiting for an admitted patient to come up from the ER. I have no idea why it takes so long for the ER to send patients to us; I got signout from the ER resident hours ago. But there you have it.

What are the rest of you doing up in the middle of the night?

now this... is freaking hilarious!!

Wide awake. Reading "the Pus Whisperer".

Why do we have to have Mondays?
How else would you be able to appreciate the rest of the week as being better than Monday? How is that book BTW? I like his podcasts.

On a completely different note, anyone here have a 529 for your kids' college through the state of Maine/Merrill Lynch?

I refer to those as "job security".

This is what us public health peeps call emerging diseases. Lots of high-fives have been exchanged over hearing that chikungunya's now in the Caribbean. Then guilt, then excitement that this might mean new funding for CHIKV research.

Of course if I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the stinker pups must also go outside. This of course will not be brief as the entire yard (.37 acre lot) needs to be smelled before coming back inside ...

On that note, just read one of my favorite quotes in the Pus Whisperer:

"If I ever get a parrot I'm going to teach it to say "Polly want a morphism.""

Last edited:
Good. there are other people like me. I'm studying Physics tonight. I'm in the Kaplan course preparing for the MCAT in August. Its not going great, but I guess thats normal. Just giving it my all.

Reactions: 1 users
Why am I up? I watched the new Mortal Kombat trailer like 20 times:wacky:.

Why am I up? I watched the new Mortal Kombat trailer like 20 times:wacky:.

Ok, so I'm not technically in the right time frame, but I just wanted to thank you for making me feel like not as much of a freak. I did that a while back with the movie "Maleficent".

And in other news, I was watching videos on how best to eat a pomegranate and came across this awesome comment, "It's 430 in the morning and I'm watching videos about pomegranates. Where did my life go wrong?"