12 AM to 6 AM Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surgery rotation. Pediatric Surgery begins today.

Hey, stranger, that should be interesting.

It's about 3:39 here, I really should be sleeping, but am on a goofy changeover schedule, seems I always am. Up at 4:30 for my commute to my volunteering gig, wondering what interesting adventures the county hospital will have in store for us today. Debating if I should go back to sleep for an hour, or just get out of bed, eat, and pack my lunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Wake up! Ex-lap time! And hope this lady's ovarian cancer isn't too extensive. This could be 2 hrs. This could be 8 hrs. I want the shortest OR time. Eating a semi-legit breakfast of oatmeal just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the things I hate most about this process? The uncertainty.

I can put a lot of stuff on the backburner and delay gratification, but there's just one thing I really want right now that I can't figure out how to work with not knowing where I'll be in two years. A workshop/art studio where I can do metal sculpture/blacksmithing/welding be noisy stuff without starting my house on fire or pissing of the psycho neighbor. That's it, probably kinda stupid it's bothering me so much, but if I knew where I was going to be I could buy a house there that fits. It's just I've been wanting to do that stuff my whole life and the thought of putting it off until I finish medical school and possibly residency sucks. #firstworldproblems#

So, I'm up at midnight looking at workshops for rent, and houses with outbuildings, etc.
:p

You could always just rent a storage unit with power. Some of my friends did that when they wanted to start a very loud band but didn't have a garage to practice in. It won't be as nice as your own workshop, but it'll be better than nothing. I'm also starting to look at houses to move into when I start med school. There's a nice foreclosed 4-unit apartment building close to Tulane that might be a good option. Fix it up, live in one apartment, rent out the other three to med students... now if I can only sell my house in Alaska so I can get out of here!

There are actually some pretty nice duplexes up in the cities that I could afford if I sold my house here. It's an interesting prospect to think about.

I've found a couple of warehouse/ shop places for rent now. Just trying to convince myself the extra cost is worth it. I think the flame issue is the biggest one to deal with in renting a cheaper place. I think I just need to make friends with an old farmer.

9pm to 7am night float. Waiting for patients to admit to the wards from the ED.

Caffeine. Whooohooo! 2:52 ain't got nuthin on me cuz I have wiiiiiings!

Along the lines of the Friday night thread, we need a thread for those of us who are up till the wee hours on any day of the week. (I seem to recall there being a similar thread in PA.) So, here we go. If you're up between midnight and 6AM your time, and you feel like chatting with some other nontrad night owls, you've come to the right thread.

I'm once again in the ICU overnight, just me and a PA. (My intern has the night off.) So far I have pronounced a patient dead, filled out the death packet, and sedated/restrained an agitated patient who tried to punch one of the nurses. I'm now waiting for an admitted patient to come up from the ER. I have no idea why it takes so long for the ER to send patients to us; I got signout from the ER resident hours ago. But there you have it.

What are the rest of you doing up in the middle of the night?

Yay! A nighttime thread!!!

I'm a "night owl" and love to hang out on forums overnight.

Someday, I want a job in ER or ICU. (Maybe I can volunteer to help transport patients to ICU in the meantime.)

Yay! A nighttime thread!!!

I'm a "night owl" and love to hang out on forums overnight.

Someday, I want a job in ER or ICU. (Maybe I can volunteer to help transport patients to ICU in the meantime.)

It couldn't hurt to ask about volunteering. I know if the transport guy we have in the ED were interested, I'd discuss medical stuff w/ him during the down time.

It couldn't hurt to ask about volunteering. I know if the transport guy we have in the ED were interested, I'd discuss medical stuff w/ him during the down time.

I wish they had volunteers after 9p.m. (I might try to be the first, if that's not odd.) I'm a super night owl and would love to get pre-med experience during those hours, 12am-6am. I'm guessing ED, ICU, and sleep labs are the main places for the 12a.m. to 6a.m. crew?

Last edited:
I am actually going to volunteer night shifts at any of the four hospitals surrounding my area. I just prefer it and having daytime to run errands and do other crap (except for the big nap in between).

Gauss44: Have you asked around for those positions?

There's no harm in trying. It's one of the tenets to being a successful non-trad.

Probably not ICU. It's not a place you really see "superfluous" people. Only the people that belong there get to go there. I know, I've been stopped a few x's to ask what I was doing in the ICU. "Are you assigned to ICU??" I'd say, "No, but I want to check on the patient I was assigned on the Gen Med Floor"

And I'm a med student. I doubt most hospitals will let a volunteer there. HOWEVER, like I just mentioned, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Gauss44: Have you asked around for those positions?

At the hospital where I volunteer, the volunteer shifts are managed by the volunteer department and latest shifts end at 9p.m. I think I'll start telling more people that I want to volunteer and/or shadow after 9p.m. and see what happens.

I also want to know what types of doctors work overnight, so I'll keep watching this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sleep by 9pm. But, I have to be at school at 6:30am, so I am awake by 5 makin' some eggs.

1 a.m. here, just got back from the store and am watching some EM show on discovery health while eating a mini pizza, drinking root beer, and drafting my healthy eating plan for next week....:oops:

530 a.m. here. One of those mornings. Feel kinda like I hit a wall. Think I burned out but don't have too much going on right now or for the summer. Opted not to take my metal sculpture class since I'm going home to see my family for two weeks and would miss too many classes. Pretty disappointed, was really looking forward to that. Ready to be done working nights for awhile, so many other cool opps. I keep having to turn down, like joining the outbreak investigation team as a student worker/epidemiologist.

Thinking a lot about wishing I was settled somewhere with someone. I'm willing to work, go wherever, and make sacrifices I just wish I knew where and wish I had a partner to tackle it with, and a place to do my art...

I'll be fine when I get up for the day.

So in other words, I just should know better than to think about anything in the middle of the night early morning :p

Reactions: 1 user
1:15 am here in Washington, DC. Can't for the life of me fall asleep because I keep thinking about how much studying I didn't get done today.

The real world definitely can't be bothered about MCAT studying...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using SDN Mobile

Spent a day being busy with random stuff, yet somehow got nothing accomplished from my to do list.
One of my activities involved trying to refurbish a rusted cast iron pan. Think it's going to work :cool:

Get to go chat up an EM doc/clinical researcher in the a.m. Should be a good visit.

A coworker of mine keeps going back and forth about retiring or not. If she does, I should be able to change shifts and quit working nights. That would hopefully happen around the time I'm done with fall semester and can have a year and a half of normalcy before med school stuff. Downside is it's a shorter shift, so I'd work more days a week, whereas nights is longer so I work fewer days, but tend to lose one catching up on sleep, so I'm a bit torn.

The little furball sad puppy dog eyed his way into my bedroom tonight. It's storming so he's scared.

Shifting my sleep schedule so I'm up trying to figure out what to eat that doesn't require a trip to the grocery store at 1 a.m. Supposed to go biking in the morning but it's supposed still be storming. We got rained out last week too :(

I've been an absolute lazy bum this past week other than work. It's been nice. Eat, sleep, read fun books, dog park, life is good.

Its 2:35 am here, and I am studying for the MCAT. No matter what I do, my time is slipping away, hence, i come home from school, nap then wait for the kids to fall asleep, and i am locked in my study. I am tired as hell... But i have 28 days till the MCAT and havent finished reviewing the content! So I am planning on buckling down in the nights...:scared:

Heya, working nights this week. New interns about to descend upon us en masse on Monday. First week of July is painful for all involved....including and especially said new interns. :hungover:

I graduated today. Signed out, finished everything.

Just remember, Monday isn't just when new interns start. It's also when new attendings start. Like me. Monday morning in orientation as an attending. Goodness..... I hope I'm ready.

I graduated today. Signed out, finished everything.

Just remember, Monday isn't just when new interns start. It's also when new attendings start. Like me. Monday morning in orientation as an attending. Goodness..... I hope I'm ready.

Congrats, Shyrem! You will do great, we all have faith in you. :) It's interesting how it seems to be going slowly when you are in the thick of it but one day you look around and realize you are through a big step and you can't believe you are done!

Shy I think you'll do great.

In other news, if anyone can recommend a good psychiatrist, I'm all ears. I think I might've lost my mind. I'm getting a new puppy!

My dog's pretty lonely even with doggy daycare and trips to the dog park. Think he would've been best suited to a family with another dog and three kids or something, but he got stuck with just me. So, based on what I saw looking at future places to live in medical school, looks I'm not going to have a much harder time with 2 dogs as opposed to one big dog. So yeah, I might be nuts.

:whistle:

Well, my house finally sold. Sort of. I found buyers who want to do rent to own for a year and then buy it next summer when their credit is better. I would rather have sold it right away, but at this point I can't be choosy. The good news with this arrangement is that it will give me a year of rental income that I can live on my first year in med school. As a result I'll end up making more than I expected off this house. It also gets me a full price offer with only one realtor's commission to pay. The bad news is that I won't be able to buy and work on another house during my first year of med school, and I could have made even more money that way. I guess I'll have no choice but to devote my time entirely to studying instead of also taping drywall and hanging cabinets.

Put in for a transfer at work, had the interview. Absolutely loved the new area.

Problem is I'm still in grad school and it's going to require me to rearrange my classes and sub in one required one that I don't want to take, but can take online for the in person req'd option that I do want to take. It would also reduce my flexibility for other courses, but I should still be able to finish on time. It seemed like they'd be open to being flexible with my lab that I need to take this fall, but I also have the student free clinic that I made a 2 year commitment too. So I could stack that on after my lab, but otherwise I can't take the job since I won't back out on that commitment.

I told them I could stay for two years for sure, beyond that depended on other things. Although technically, if I apply to medical school next June and get accepted it'd most likely be a 22-23 month commitment not a full two years, and I feel kinda bad about that and am wondering if I should withdraw myself from consideration as the lab requires 6 months of basic training and a year or more for solid competency and they really need people to stay for two years to get their full value. Darn overactive conscience.Then again I haven't taken the MCAT yet and if I don't get into medical school, I don't think I'd mind staying in that environment longer.

On the plus side, it would get me off night shift, be M-Th 10 hr shifts, and only 1 in 8 weekends. the work is interesting (cytogenetics doing analysis for patient chromosome abnormalities), would be a pay jump for me since I'd be back to full time, plus I've heard good things about the people. They're so overloaded with work that they are offering tons of overtime as well, so thatd be another income boost, which I could definitely use.

If I don't transfer, then I'm probably stuck where I am for the next 2 years, with no guarantee I can get off nights. I would be able to maintain my current level of flexibility for school/activities (and my current poverty level).

And this is why I'm awake at 3 a.m. Have to call this morning and let them know if I want to stay in consideration.

Knocking out the continuing eds for my board certification.Woohoo.

Actually some of it's pretty interesting.

Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Camylobacter Update
Acetaminophen Poisoning
CD15 Expression in Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg-Like Cells in Lymph Node: Pathologic Sig and Diff. Diagnosis
A Pain in the Neck: Fusobacterium Necrophorum Infection
Massive Transfusion Protocols

But then the darn site locked up on me. What they don't think people do CE's at 2 a.m. ? :p

Anybody here from Seattle or know the city and willing to give me some tips on things to see and do?

Yes, I've lived here (Seattle) for the last 14 years. What would like to see/do?

How are you liking Seattle so far?

Yes, I've lived here (Seattle) for the last 14 years. What would like to see/do?
Umm, the space needle I guess? I don't know much else about Seattle otherwise. If you were going to pick one or two other "must see" places to go, what would they be?

How are you liking Seattle so far?

I like it a lot. When I moved here I had no idea where I am going (I did immigrate from outside US). Almost 15 years later, I've been to a lot of places in the USA and Seattle is still one of my favorites. The city and the nature around it are quite beautiful, there is plenty to do, finding jobs, at least in previous career, was piece of cake. The only reason I would move from here is that it has been quite a while since I've lived anywhere else and I am getting a bit restless.

Umm, the space needle I guess? I don't know much else about Seattle otherwise. If you were going to pick one or two other "must see" places to go, what would they be?

Well, the Space Needle is actually not a bad idea. :) You'll most likely see it from the highway anyway but it is still worth visiting. The area around it is known as Seattle Center, it's a mix of a park and museums/other culture venues. During the summer and early fall they tend to have events on weekends, so you can expect a lot outdoor performances, etc. On the same block are EMP (Paul Allen's museum of music, ?? Music Project) and the Sci-Fi musem.

What I don't recommend is actually going up on the Space Needle. The restaurant is overpriced and not that good (second hand info). The view is ok, but if you want a view of Seattle from a high rise, you're better of heading downtown to Columbia Center. This is the tallest building in Seattle, owned by Bank of America. It is not advertised much as a tourist attraction but for $5 they'll let you go to the observation deck on top of the building. Cheaper, less crowded and taller than Spaced Needle - what's not to like.

While in downtown, you may want to visit the waterfront. It is what you would expect - a sidewalk along the ocean with pier, stores, restaurants, etc. It is somewhat loud (there is a highway nearby) but the views are good. If you keep following that North, you'll end up in the Olympic Sculpture Park - that's nice to see too. Also in downtown, Seattle Art Museum.

More things in the same area - Pike Place market, very popular between tourists. The first Starbucks ever is there as well. Within a few block are some night clubs with live music, if that's your type of thing. For more night live, head north on 1st or 2nd Ave in Bell town or East (15-30 min) to Capitol Hill. The former is where the "fancy" places are and the latter where the hipsters would be.

If you are driving, you may want to go to Alki beach - about 15 min away from downtown. It's on the other side of Elliot bay, across from downtown. Nice walks, great views of downtown and the mountains behind it, cafes, restaurants, etc.

There's probably more but I think this is a start. If you have any specific questions or want a longer list - let me know.

PS: I'm not sure if it will stay the same in the link, but today's picture of Yahoo weather in Seattle is taken from Alki: http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/washington/seattle-2490383/

Last edited:
It's 0539 here. I'm temporarily awake (hopefully). Long day today, commute, interviewing potential volunteers for the student run free clinic, class, hopefully a quick nap, then dinner with an epidemiologist to discuss career paths, then long commute back, and crash in bed.

Interviewed students yesterday and boy do I not envy the final selection group. Everybody my partner and I talked to was pretty awesome. I wonder if that's how med school interviewers feel. So many good candidates for limited number of spots.

In other news this semester might mark the end of me being on night shift. :soexcited:On the one hand I'm really excited to get off nights and have 3 weekends a month off, but I was kind of selfishly hoping for someone else to be promoted so I could do 4 10 hr shifts which would be better for class and save me some commuting. On the other hand a it was a really good friend who just got a pretty major promotion pretty early in her career so I'm quite happy for her.

Back to sleep now.

Anybody here from Seattle or know the city and willing to give me some tips on things to see and do?

My top 5 in order of preference:

1. Pike's Market. If you like novel buildings, there is a mall connected to Pike's Market that resulted from the combination of several buildings, and maybe even underground tunnels. There are several basement levels filled with stores, as well as, an alley. The 1st Starbucks in on street level over there. Back when I lived there, there were a lot of crafts and unconventional stores too. Pike's Market is probably the most popular tourist attraction in Seattle. The yelp.com reviews are even good evidence of that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_Place_Market

2. Music. Nightlife on weekends. EMP Museum. Various remnants of grunge past. (Queensryche's Jet City Woman video flashes images of some of the most notable Seattle tourist attractions.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_from_Seattle

3. Sports. Seahawks, Mariners, etc.

4. If it were spring or summer, I would say just walk around. Seattle is a beautiful area with nice clean air. I use to enjoy just sitting on the dock on 1st street near Pike's Place overlooking the water. Sometimes I would do homework, or chat with a friend. Other times I would just sit there and reflect or enjoy the view. In some areas there are floating buildings on the water.

5. The wilderness: http://www.seattle-side-trips.com/

Last edited:
So I'm working nights in the 911 center for the next 2 weeks. Doing my best not to rehash my ACOM interview from Friday. Highlight call of the night: Car vs. cow. Yup, gotta love rural 911.

So I'm working nights in the 911 center for the next 2 weeks. Doing my best not to rehash my ACOM interview from Friday. Highlight call of the night: Car vs. cow. Yup, gotta love rural 911.

I was almost a victim of a bike vs deer incident. That thing had HUGE antlers too.

I did not post this morning but I was up from 2am - 3am rehashing the last five residency interviews

and running thru every single possible scenario in my head of if this ended today and I had to rank

Then of course obsessing on why I have not heard from my top choice yet - email silence :(

I need a padded room or a Mai tai ;)

2:46 am

Worse case scenarios running through my mind

Whoever said match was easy

5:49 am

Up for an hour
Dressed, lunches packed and dinner started in crock pot

I so adore Chicago traffic - not

My neuro attending is liberal w/ "coffee breaks" in clinic. So I made use of the free coffee. Even tho I am once again (apparently) caffeine sensitive. :(

BUMP this sucka up cuz I am wide awake at midnight:34 EST. Rounds at 8am. Woohoo

I didn't know this thread existed, pretty cool. Hello everyone, I'm BurberryDoc. Non-traditional, current graduate student, will be attending UMiami Med this fall. How's everyone doing?

Just back from an ambulance call.

Still writing 2013 on my run sheets. Gosh darnit.

Just back from an ambulance call.

Still writing 2013 on my run sheets. Gosh darnit.

Was it an interesting call? What is the best way to land an EMT volunteer position?