12 year old at mstp interviews (for real!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jot

jeeeeebus

so there is this 12 year old at mstp interviews (hes been to ucla,chicago,sinai - going to hopkins at least) - friggin insane. it just blows my mind. after hes done he won't be old enough to practice!!!! freakin crazy. just needed to share that - blew my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

what the heck??? will he also be featured in time magazine???

any proof of this...you must know that people will think it is BS although we believe you.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thot medical schools required that you be over 18....

Did he have an annoying friend named Vinnie and a girlfriend named Wanda?

After all the interviews he takes out his laptop and types in his diary entry.

I watched way too much TV as a kid.

wow thats insanity right there

whats this kid's (literally... i can't use guy!) profile? like i assume hes graduating for college or something....?? lol, he racked up like a 1600 SAT when he was 5 prolly, when other kiddies are playing out in the sandbox

It's true. I saw him walking around at UCLA about 3 weeks ago. It was kinda funny to see this little asian kid in a suit about half the height of everyone around him. :eek:

ha - no its really quite true - i feel bad giving out too much info on the kid (don't know too much beyond first name, college (no highschool)). it just completley blew me away though. his dad was with him at the interviews -- when hes done he won't be old enough to practice!! ok ok .. enough sensationalism ... but thats sensational!

So I saw the thread and thought, "What the heck, who's this making sensational stuff up?" And then I saw that Jot started the thread, so I went from :rolleyes: to :eek:

That's just plain cool! Good for him I say! :clap:

He's smart alright, but he can't touch my EC's...:)

Originally posted by mystic_b
So I saw the thread and thought, "What the heck, who's this making sensational stuff up?" And then I saw that Jot started the thread, so I went from :rolleyes: to :eek:

same here

He's not the kid who was featured on 60 minutes a few years back who went to Loyola? He was taking pre-med classes, so I wonder if that could be him?!

so he was on 20/20 - yeah he goes to loyola. i thought i saw that episode a while ago, couldn't remember if there was anything about him. do we ever end up hearing of prodigies doing cool things, or do they just fade away? well i guess mozart and the olsen twins (i consider them nearly equivelent ;) made their mark).

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of feel sorry for him. There goes his entire childhood. . . :(

Maybe childhood isn't all its cracked up to be. . .

for your information, that's my younger brother you all are talking about. he's quite competent and will make an excellent doctor. i really don't appreciate the way you guys are talking about him....i thought you guys would have a bit more class. he's a registered user on the website too....

oh goodness sdners, i'm totally kidding. don't know the kid at all :) but i hope i got some of you to sort of gasp for a split second at least. pretty crazy stuff. wow, the kid's 12 years old huh? when i was that young, i was more worried about what color of guess jeans to buy or what my next algebra test was or who's birthday party i was going to....geez, can't quite imagine having taken the mcat and completed good old amcas way back then.....

yikes! ;)

I know this kid applied for admission to my school, but I don't know if he received an interview. I'm sure he would be fine during the basic science years, but I think the clinical years would be a disaster! Can you imagine yourself being a 3rd year medical student at age 14 or 15 and having the emotional maturity to interact well with patients and handle their sometimes terminal conditions??? Yikes. Not a good idea at all in my opinion...Maybe getting a PhD first, then an MD would work (not that he or his parents asked me or anything;) )

I have to wonder if the kid is really pursuing something that he wants or is he being pushed by his parents to do this. A guy that young really can't know what he is getting into. I'm also a bit jealous, how can a 12 year old have a chance at schools like that?

if this kid is md/phd, he will be 19 or 20 when he grads, then residency..more than old enough to practice.

personally, I think it's badass. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably jealous. haha!

apparently the boy has been playing Chopin on the piano since the age of 3......did genetics research proving a possible link between cell phones and cancer.......cute kid!

maybe he's not mature enough for practicing yet but i bet he could come up with a lot of important research or whatever. too bad for his childhood, but people make choices in their lives - you can't have it all. unfortunately society tends to make whatever use of prodigies they see fit and then gleefully mock them when they grow up to be normal people. it's a terrible way to treat people, but i suppose envy and hatred is part of human nature.

there's always the bright side... he'll be doing physicals right as puberty starts. now how many kids can say they touched real boobies when they were 12? ;)

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
there's always the bright side... he'll be doing physicals right as puberty starts. now how many kids can say they touched real boobies when they were 12? ;)

Forget the boobies, he's gonna have to go downstairs! :eek:

Good luck little man.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher

here, me...=)

well...definitly jealous for that kid...

but...i was wondering...how many of you decided that medicine would be your career when you were 12...

I was 18, when i decided...

and as someone wrote...he would make a great clinical researcher... if that's the case, why doesn't he just go to grad school...

that way is faster for him, only 4 years instead of 8 years...

but again...i'm just jealous...why am i not that smart so i don't have to sit here and worry about freakin school...

Hey guys, this kid goes to my school. He is really smart but he is still a kid. His Lab professor has to keep telling him to stop running around with the chemicals. He is really nice, but it is weird because his mom is around all the time making sure he is okay. He told a load of summer classes and overload each semester. He finished college in like two years. He has a younger sister and they say she is smarter than hin when he was at that age. He wants to go to medical school, but he knows the age issue thing is a factor. That is why he is going the MD/PhD route. That way he has a couple more years added on to his education and maturity time. Although he is very smart he is very young, and I think I would have trouble having him as my doc.

How many of you really, would go to a 18/19/20 year old physician?

I know i wouldn't - yeah it would be neat to be a genius, BUT i think the novelty of it would wear off the first day that you entered college and had no friends at school.

While i'm sure people will say im just jealous, i wouldn't have wanted to grow up any faster than i had to. I had a blast in high school and my college years were amazing. There are certain things you would never be able to get from life if you were in a full time career by the age of 16/17/18.

I maybe won't finish med school while i'm a teen, but I really would not trade my life for that kid's for anything

Originally posted by SolidGold
I'm also a bit jealous, how can a 12 year old have a chance at schools like that?
despite the fact that he sounds very smart, don't forget all the free publicity the school who admits him is going to get. they are probably all dying to have him.

Originally posted by Dr Chooch
Forget the boobies, he's gonna have to go downstairs! :eek:

Good luck little man.

yes i know but i was trying to keep this pg-13 :)

I thought this page was just a sham but dern!!!!! 12 years old in medical school:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: He is tha mannnnnn, oppsss i mean booooyyyeee:laugh:

Originally posted by Drnunia
Hey guys, this kid goes to my school. He is really smart but he is still a kid. His Lab professor has to keep telling him to stop running around with the chemicals. He is really nice, but it is weird because his mom is around all the time making sure he is okay. He told a load of summer classes and overload each semester. He finished college in like two years. He has a younger sister and they say she is smarter than hin when he was at that age. He wants to go to medical school, but he knows the age issue thing is a factor. That is why he is going the MD/PhD route. That way he has a couple more years added on to his education and maturity time. Although he is very smart he is very young, and I think I would have trouble having him as my doc.
No way,no way,no way....A little kid would not be able to be my doctor.C'mon would you let a 12-13 year old kid give your 16-17 yr old *daughter* a gyn. examination? I don't think so.Call me closed-minded or whatever.It just doesn't fly with me.How is this kid mature enough to handle say ob/gyn issues? Surely that has to come up.What woman..sheeesh I cannot even imagine:eek: . Just because you are mature enough to handle the material academically does make you mature enough to handle all the other issues that comes along with being a physician.How about this- a new rule: If you gotta bring mommy to class with you,you are TOO young.This almost sounds like child abuse.
Enough said.Flame suit on and secured.

Yeah, there's something about a doctor that can't even buy a six pack that I don't like.

Whoa. I don't care how academically competent someone is. This poor kid is going to be socially maladjusted, having never had the "normal" childhood and never going through the "normal" milestones that the rest of us have. I think he is missing out on a lot. You have your whole life to be a doctor or whatever you want to do, but you're only a kid once...genius or not. This just cannot be a good idea, in my opinion.

Whoa. I don't care how academically competent someone is. This poor kid is going to be socially maladjusted, having never had the "normal" childhood and never going through the "normal" milestones that the rest of us have. I think he is missing out on a lot. You have your whole life to be a doctor or whatever you want to do, but you're only a kid once...genius or not. In many ways emotional maturity and people skills gained from life experience (which are developed over time) are just as important as the academic portion. This just cannot be a good idea, in my opinion.

i agree... as jealous as i may be that he's going to be an md/phd before he can celebrate his 21st, its just unfair to deprive someone of their childhood. hope he's alright.
p

From my (probably limited) experience, kids like this are incredibly maladjusted. They have never dealt with their own peer group and never learned how to interact with others properly, because they've always interacted with people outside of their peer group. The kids like this I've seen have had serious maturity issues. Developmentally, I don't see good things for this kid.

Plus in his current interactions, he's just the outcast. Other college kids feel intimidated and jealous, and so that would be merely one reason he probably has trouble interacting with them. He just doesn't fit in with his current group at all, not just because of age, but his maturity and emotional skills just aren't all there, so it would be hard for someone more in the college-age range to talk to him and be friends with him. You have to identify with someone in some way to be friends with them, and I don't see that happening with college-age kids, or med students for that matter.

But besides the psychology stuff, this kid has no life experiences. There is a lot of growing up to do between age 12 and age 21-22-ish. Yeah, it's cute because he's like Doogie Houser, but come on. He seriously has no idea what he's getting into.

Do you honestly think he has the emotional maturity to deal with patients at this point? Someone mentioned this, but do you think he's really prepared to deal with death and illness to the extent that you have to? Someone else mentioned that this was why he's MSTP, but he's still going to be only 17-ish at that point. Add that to the fact that he'll be 17 without ever really growing up and having socialized because he finished college at age 12, and you're just asking for trouble.

And his mommy and his daddy have to take him everywhere. Someone mentioned his mom follows him around classes? If she has to make sure he is okay all the time, do you really think he's mature enough to be a med student?

And if he is at your med school, wouldn't it be weird to "socialize" with him? It's not like he'd fit in at parties. I don't see him being in any social group. It's just be him and his mom or something.

Maybe he's academically qualified, but there are other mitigating circumstances. I just feel sorry for him and hope his life turns out well.

being jealous is okay. we are not hurting him by being jealous. But there is something I wanted to say to those that keep claiming that he may not be mature enough.

I have seens tons of shows about child prodigies and seen even more interviews on them. I am simply fascinated by them. There is a lot of credence given to "emotional intelligence." Psychologists know it...and we even refer to it in our daily language. If this child is "intelligent," chances are that he is also "emotionally intelligent." I mean, how is it possible to have a child know and be able to derive newton's laws at 3..yet not know how to behave in situations where their emotional intelligence is required? These kids have been looked at, prodded and spoken about all their lives. They have probably been more out of their comfort zone than we have ever been and probably already have the skills that we attest to having. I know that their maturity level may not be as high as ours, BUT, these are kids learn information at such a fast rate, I am sure they will try to keep up with us (if not already surpass us).

I am happy for the kid, and i am sure whatever intelligent choices he has made, he will learn to live with them just as we all do.

by any chance is this kid from southern california? I had a prodigy in one of my city college summer courses who was like 8 years old and had a younger sister... any one know?

seeing how he finished college in 2 years, I think there is ample time for him to socialize with kids his own age during medical school. not sure if he'd want to, b/c i could just imagine him talking about brain surgery when the other 12 year olds are talking about their favorite flavor of skittles haha.

what i really would like to know is what kind of EC's he has! can't be just on stats right? :)

poor kid. good luck trying to find a girlfriend when you hit your preteens. hope you like older women.

IF you guys are talking about the kid from Loyola, it is true, he was actually one of my good friends lab partner in Gen Chem. She said this kid was insanely smart, but impossible to work with, cause he wanted control of everything. Also, he was in an MCAT class at Northwestern, and i heard he was racking up 37 and 38's on the practice tests. Wow

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog
by any chance is this kid from southern california? I had a prodigy in one of my city college summer courses who was like 8 years old and had a younger sister... any one know?

That's him, yes. And yes, his sister is even more advanced that he was at her age.

Imagine how much money this kid's dad could make if he offered to sell his sperm! Same for the mom's eggs!

But what good is a doctor without any patients? Could any of you honestly say that you'd be comfortable having a 17 year old as your doctor? He may be brilliant, and he may be able to "learn" emotional maturity, but who's going to take a chance with their health to help him get to that point? Not me.

Originally posted by Curci
But what good is a doctor without any patients? Could any of you honestly say that you'd be comfortable having a 17 year old as your doctor? He may be brilliant, and he may be able to "learn" emotional maturity, but who's going to take a chance with their health to help him get to that point? Not me.

No one is going to have a 17 year old as their physician. If he's 12 now while he's applying, matriculates at 13, graduates at 20 from an MSTP, does a 4 year residency, 2 year fellowship, he'd be at least 26 before he is practicing! ;)

I had a chance to take a class taught by a similar prodigy. She is an adult now (late 20's) but had her MD&PhD finished up by 17. She did an extra year of research because she couldn't get malpractice coverage when she graduated.

This lady is very nice, amazingly intelligent, and a good teacher, but she is very very strange and socially awkward. During a particularly frank conversation she admitted that she had few friends and had never been comfortable interacting with people. All she knew how do to was work and study, so that's all she did every minute of her life. She works in a lab primarily and teaches on the side. She didn't strike me as a particularly happy person.

Originally posted by Zoobaby
I had a chance to take a class taught by a similar prodigy. She is an adult now (late 20's) but had her MD&PhD finished up by 17. She did an extra year of research because she couldn't get malpractice coverage when she graduated.

She had BOTH an MD and PhD by 17?! When did she enter school, age 10? What school did she go to?

Originally posted by CaNEM
She had BOTH an MD and PhD by 17?! When did she enter school, age 10? What school did she go to?

That was her story. She went to U of Michigan.

Originally posted by Zoobaby
That was her story. She went to U of Michigan.

Cool.

Articles on the kid, courtesy of our friend Google.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/12/05/60II/main254786.shtml
http://www.luc.edu/publications/loyolamag/winter2001/genius.htm

For those who say that the kid won't fit in with his much older classmates - I agree. But he also won't fit in with his middle school classmates at all at this point. So what is he supposed to do, now that he's gotten to where he is? I think his parents shouldn't have encouraged him to go quite so fast through school (they didn't even bother sending him to high school because of the possible bad influences there). The fact that he finished first grade in a few weeks means they were definitely pressuring him to move fast. Now that he's finishing college, he's just continuing on the same track, so it's nothing new anyhow.

I remember hearing about another child prodigy who finished college very early, and then went back to middle school so he could play baseball with kids his own age. Good for him.

i met him dudes, for real. he took kaplan, and we took the mcat in the same testing place in chicago. his kaplan instructors and myself were chillin before the exam (funny, i took PR), and they INTRODUCED him to me. he has a little sister, who is just as smart, and his mother drops him off every day and picks him up, like any other 12 year old. he's a shy kid, but seemingly confident. (i hear during his kaplan instructions, he would point out missing bonds and mistakes and what not).

He applied to Northwestern for undergrad, but was refused, and accepted by Loyola.

i just remember he had a grin wider than the river nile after the MCAT, when most people walked out of there in tears or damn close.

i admire the talents and genius of child prodigies, i just wonder whether he knows himself and his intents at such a young age. what if at 18 he realizes that politics or journalism is really his calling? too late? And I have to wonder about patient reaction--I wouldnt want to be examined naked by a man who was not even 20 years old. Obviously the child is intellectually superior to probably most of us, but is there something to say of time and experience?

Then again, tweetie bird does have a point....

it is easy for me to blame parents for the maladjustment of their talented children, especially when they push their kids or seek fame. but then again, what would I do if I was the mother of a child prodigy? On the one hand, you want your child to grow up among his peers and enjoy his age, on the other, you want him to cultivate his talents and make good use of them.

tough situation. what would you do?

I think many of us are envious of how easy all this comes to him (I certainly am), however I think it would be extremely tought to be him. Although I hardly compare (19 and 5 weeks away from graduating) the realization of my friends still having summer vacations, while I will be working with 'old' people has hit me, and let me tell you it SUCKS! I also hear how much fun my friends are having at college, while to be quite frank things are kind of crappy for me over here. The average age here is 25 or so, and even with just 5 years in it, making friends is incredible difficult. Everyone here just wants to be so grown up, when playing with lego is still down my street.
I hope this kid has lots of friends, and gets on well with his class mates, as otherwise life would be tough!

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I have seens tons of shows about child prodigies and seen even more interviews on them. I am simply fascinated by them. There is a lot of credence given to "emotional intelligence." Psychologists know it...and we even refer to it in our daily language. If this child is "intelligent," chances are that he is also "emotionally intelligent." I mean, how is it possible to have a child know and be able to derive newton's laws at 3..yet not know how to behave in situations where their emotional intelligence is required? These kids have been looked at, prodded and spoken about all their lives. They have probably been more out of their comfort zone than we have ever been and probably already have the skills that we attest to having. I know that their maturity level may not be as high as ours, BUT, these are kids learn information at such a fast rate, I am sure they will try to keep up with us (if not already surpass us).

You have a good point in some ways, Tweetie (as usual ;)). I don't know. I guess you're referring to Howard Gardner's work (I met him once, actually) with the emotional intelligence. It's hard for this kid to have any friends though (own age or otherwise), which is a prime way for him to learn such things. And he probably has been out of his comfort zone a lot, but his only comfort zone appears to be with his parents. I don't think that's a good thing, as you can't learn everything from your parents. I think while he can pick it up fast, in theory, he just needs the experiences to do it, and at 12, he just doesn't have them.

I think there's a lot to be said for peer group interaction and just being in middle school and high school from experience and from classes I have taken. Honestly, what does he know about suffering through middle school? Absolutely nothing. What does he know about being in high school and having more freedom? Nothing! He hasn't been through the shared cultural experience.

It's interesting that someone mentioned being his lab partner. I dealt with a similar child who was really good at math, back in high school. He had the same control attitude with a problem we were doing. In fact, he kept insisting that he was right, without showing us why. When we all disagreed with him after we showed him why he was wrong, he still insisted he was right and burst into tears about it. We ended up doing it our way, but he was in tears.... It doesn't really matter that we were right in the end, but it showed his inability to work in a group and be part of a group. He just didn't know how to deal with us, because he had been home schooled all his life and had spent lots of quality time with mom, but not much else. His parents were really really nice people though, even if he wasn't the friendliest kid, ever.

The insurance comment is interesting too. I assume there is actuarial data that supports the decision. Either that or they were just being appropriately cautious. As someone mentioned, it is a chance with someone's health and well-being.