This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would love to hear some opinions on this as well as I am in a current situation with an MD letter completed and obtaining one from a DO who I have never even shadowed...

Do they have the same last name? If not I would say just do it. Gotta play the game, tell them to write something super nice haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone

My question is how would medical school admission committees feel about a student getting a DO rec letter from a family member? Said family member is not close personal family, rather a husband of a distant cousin. I'm just asking because im finding it difficult to find a DO physician to shadow/obtain a letter from.

Also how important would a DO letter of recommendation be for successful admission? I have a MD rec letter currently, and all other aspects of my application are strong.
This will be okay, but just be upfront that this is a relation, because it is a conflict of interest.

And if you don't mention this, it could come back to bite you in the ass. I have seen this happen

Reactions: 1 users
This will be okay, but just be upfront that this is a relation, because it is a conflict of interest.

And if you don't mention this, it could come back to bite you in the ass. I have seen this happen

Thank you for your reply. Would it be better if I simply do not include the DO letter? Like would it hinder my application in any way if I did not include it? The DO schools I am applying to do no require it. I do not want to take any risks, and if this would be risky then I'd rather just not get the letter. I already have 2 rec letters from science profs, 1 from a MD, and a committee letter.

Some schools state in their LOR requirements that it should not be from a family member (blood or marriage).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. Would it be better if I simply do not include the DO letter? Like would it hinder my application in any way if I did not include it? The DO schools I am applying to do no require it. I do not want to take any risks, and if this would be risky then I'd rather just not get the letter. I already have 2 rec letters from science profs, 1 from a MD, and a committee letter.
A DO LOR always helps. Just tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.