This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirgizmo84

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everyone makes mistakes, and the most important thing is we learn from the mistakes we made. In your case, I think you should disclose everything on your application and be completely honest about the probation. Given your stat, I believe you will get the chance to show the adcom that you learn from the experience and are mature enough to take part in the healthcare industry. Also, did you do any volunteering? I think it is also a very important component in an application to show that you care about people and the community.

Reactions: 2 users
Is the record sealed? If not, seal it and run a CORI on yourself

AADSAS only asks about convictions I believe and if it is sealed correctly, Certiphi would not pick it up. You do not have to disclose it and I would not recommend doing so.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Email a random dental school you will not apply to and ask for their opinion

Reactions: 5 users
Contact the lawyer who represented you. Ask him/her to seal or expunge case.

Write a letter to prosecutor (if there was one), to the judge you saw, and write a letter to the victim asking for forgiveness.

Get all these documents, (hopefully the victim write back), and present it.

Best case scenario, quick expunge, worst case scenario, Seal.
Either way good.

Honestly,HERE IS another POINT OF VIEW: IDK how it looks that you were SOBER.SO You were in the right mind, YET making Dumb choice, Speeding !!!

NOTE: Sorry for the long post but I need some advice here

I am coming up on applying to dental school, and I just need some honest opinions here. When I was 18 years old right before I started my undergrad studies, I had a car accident where I was speeding and someone got hurt (THERE WAS NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS INVOLVED, and the person who was injured is now completely recovered thank the lord). I was charged with a felony reckless driving charge and was put on felony probation for several years, with the condition that once I finish the probation term, the charges will be completely removed from my record. I was never convicted, only charged and punished. I have so much regret about being so stupid, but I have learned so much from this incident about the value of life, responsibility, maturity, and just how quickly simple mistakes can change everything.

I am still on probation and will be when I apply, but as of now I have a 3.73 GPA, 3.78 SGPA, 23 DAT, countless hours of undergrad research experience, 500+ hours of of oral surgery shadowing, 500+ hours of orthodontic shadowing, and about 210 hours of general dentistry shadowing. Dentistry is the absolute only thing I am passionate and truly excited to learn about, and is the only thing that seems to grab my heart. I am just so worried that this mistake when I was 18 and incredibly stupid will hinder my ability to gain acceptance to dental school. Please any advice at all would be so appreciated.

I am coming up on applying to dental school, and I just need some honest opinions here. When I was 18 years old right before I started my undergrad studies, I had a car accident where I was speeding and someone got hurt (THERE WAS NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS INVOLVED, and the person who was injured is now completely recovered thank the lord). I was charged with a felony reckless driving charge and was put on felony probation for several years, with the condition that once I finish the probation term, the charges will be completely removed from my record. I was never convicted, only charged and punished. I have so much regret about being so stupid, but I have learned so much from this incident about the value of life, responsibility, maturity, and just how quickly simple mistakes can change everything.

I am still on probation and will be when I apply, but as of now I have a 3.73 GPA, 3.78 SGPA, 23 DAT, countless hours of undergrad research experience, 500+ hours of of oral surgery shadowing, 500+ hours of orthodontic shadowing, and about 210 hours of general dentistry shadowing. Dentistry is the absolute only thing I am passionate and truly excited to learn about, and is the only thing that seems to grab my heart. I am just so worried that this mistake when I was 18 and incredibly stupid will hinder my ability to gain acceptance to dental school. Please any advice at all would be so appreciated.

I am not a lawyer, but here’s what I know. How this all works varies depending on the state in which it happened. Upon successfully completing your probation the charges against you were expunged. They will not show up on a Certiphi background check. Your arrest record record will not have been expunged, so the arrest and what you were arrested for will still show up if you do an FBI fingerprint background check.

If you want to get your arrest expunged, look up expungement law in your state and see if it’s possible. Some states will expunge arrest records and others will not (unless you are pardoned by the governor or found innocent in a trial). Don’t try to do it yourself. Pay a couple hundred dollars and get a lawyer to do it. There are plenty of lawyers around that specialize in it. I don’t think you will have to do anything like write a letter to the victim. The government makes it easy.

When it comes to disclosing this, stick to what you’re comfortable with. You weren’t technically convicted so you don’t have to disclose on the AADSAS app. If this feels dishonest to you, you can disclose anyway and it probably won’t make a difference to your application. Some secondaries or post-acceptance forms may (almost definitely will) force you to disclose it even if you weren’t convicted. For these I would disclose unless you have had a complete expungement done by a lawyer and been assured by them that you are alright to not disclose.

If you choose to disclose and find yourself talking about it in an interview (if it’s on your app they may bring it up), just talk about how it changed your perspective. Take responsibility and don’t say it wasn’t your fault. Everyone loves a good redemption arc.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, my only concern is that to be possibly seen as dishonest in any way to a dental school would be the last thing I would ever want to happen.

I don’t think that choosing not to disclose sensitive information about yourself that could be used against you when you haven’t been asked is dishonest. The above poster is correct about the FBI fingerprint check. You do not want to get caught in a lie saying that you have never been arrested only to have it revealed later. If you choose not to disclose I would recommend running your own fingerprint check as well. Any decision you make should be thoroughly researched and getting advice directly from a lawyer would be a smart, although not foolproof, decision. Ultimately, you alone will be the one forced to live with the decisions you make, and lawyers are not infallible.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think that choosing not to disclose sensitive information about yourself that could be used against you when you haven’t been asked is dishonest. The above poster is correct about the FBI fingerprint check. You do not want to get caught in a lie saying that you have never been arrested only to have it revealed later. If you choose not to disclose I would recommend running your own fingerprint check as well. Any decision you make should be thoroughly researched and getting advice directly from a lawyer would be a smart, although not foolproof, decision. Ultimately, you alone will be the one forced to live with the decisions you make, and lawyers are not infallible.

This is the best advice. Educate yourself OP.

How were you punished if you weren't convicted?

It has all to do with whether you can get a state license. Nothing to do with moral values. A school won't admit you if you can't be a dentist after four years of school... would be a complete waste of time for everyone.

I pled "no-contest" to false registration when I was much younger (dumb thing to do, used the second car's registration sticker to move my commuter).

It's better to be honest/upfront and come clean. The schools run background checks, and it will probably turn up at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.