This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whothat0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
do you want to retake because of the 17? or because of your AA/TS?

I pretty sure it is just a flex, and looking for conformation that they will be fine. So i guess ill say it, your stats are above average. Unless the rest of your application is terrible, you apply to the wrong schools, or you can not interview well, you should make it into a school. QR is the category schools care the least about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I guess is my QR was higher I’d be happier overall. But don’t really want to unless I need to. Just worried seeing that I hit the minimum for that section

were you previously pre-med?
if so, when did you decide to go dental?

I'm assuming this is in reference to the global medical training? I became involved in the club because it was suggested to me from a dental student as a holistic trip that offered dental clinics alongside medical clinics. It wasn't until I arrived in Panama that I was told that the dental clinics wouldn't be offered for the week I was there :rolleyes: but I just went with the flow and helped as much as I could. But to answer your question I've always been pre-dent
and your med school research job

shadowing hours strong?
what is your school list and state of residence?
URM?

Ah yeah. I thought it would be great to get a medical research background before shifting my focus to dentistry. Plus it will be great manual dexterity work doing surgeries on mice.
Around 100 shadowing hours and a white male.
List right now is:
UNC
ECU
Maryland
VCU
MSC
DCG
Boston
NYU

Still making some adjustments to it though. Would appreciate any input
NC resident, I assume?

Yes, my b
as you are probably well aware, UNC is extremely tough to get into
have you been volunteering/assisting/participating in pre-dental events at the school?

Yeah, I am aware of that. I did research there for a full year and was a member of the pre-dental/dental student mentoring program. I also attended two school-wide volunteers days during my senior year. I was also one of two undergraduates to present a poster during the research in review day. I can at least say that I've made an effort to spend time around the school, although I'm sure a number of applicants can say the same.
well, it sounds like you have done as much as you can to get yourself known at the school
it would be tough to recommend that you retake since your scores are not terrible
as long as your LoRs and PS are not terrible, you should get some interviews, but you should consider adding a few more schools to increase your chances

Most state schools are more forgiving for IS students. I personally think a 20 AA is a good score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you really think you can go through the stress of retaking the DAT and if you are confident in yourself to get a better score and if you are able to afford to drop another $400, I don't see why you shouldn't retake it.

I retook a 21 AA and ended up with a 23 AA the second time around. Everyone around me was telling me not to retake the 21, but I honestly thought I could do better so I went for it. Not a single regret!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user