This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stressed student024

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m currently a sophomore, and I think I’m a good candidate to apply to medical school despite it being so early. However, I want some validation because today my premed advisor told me that a girl with a 4.0 gpa and 512 MCAT has not received any interview invites due to too few service hours. However, I am struggling to find recent quantities of hours. For those wondering why I am eager to apply now- I will graduate next year and do not want to take a gap year if at all possible because that would involve moving back in with my parents which is not ideal for a number of reasons. If I have to take a gap year then so be it, but I genuinely think I may be qualified to apply. Nonetheless, my stats are:
3.98 gpa (both core and science)
MCAT- will take in a month but expecting a 508 minimum and pushing for closer to 512 (pretend it’s 508 in case I royally mess up)
Will have 160-170 hours of clinical volunteering, 150-180 (maybe more) nonclinical volunteering, 2 major leadership positions, 60 hours shadowing, approx. 300 hours as a research assistant (possibly my name as a coauthor on a paper or my own poster by this May but not for now), and numerous clubs that contribute to experiences that I can really talk about. Personal statement is based on how extracurriculars have helped me become passionate about serving the underserved particularly with research I have done on transgender healthcare and my community service at the local food bank.
Long story short, I know that no one can give me a set answer, but I am planning to apply to “low tier” schools and just need an idea of if I’m truly a decent candidate or would be wasting $1-2k and a whole lot of time.
Please be honest, but also be nice.
Edit: ignore me and listen to Goro's post

Nice job with your GPA!
Your volunteering is good! It's a good idea to incorporate your volunteer experiences in your PS because that shows quality hours.
If you achieve your MCAT goals, I say go for it.
Only take your upcoming MCAT if you truly feel you will do your best on it.

Last edited:
I’m currently a sophomore, and I think I’m a good candidate to apply to medical school despite it being so early. However, I want some validation because today my premed advisor told me that a girl with a 4.0 gpa and 512 MCAT has not received any interview invites due to too few service hours. However, I am struggling to find recent quantities of hours. For those wondering why I am eager to apply now- I will graduate next year and do not want to take a gap year if at all possible because that would involve moving back in with my parents which is not ideal for a number of reasons. If I have to take a gap year then so be it, but I genuinely think I may be qualified to apply. Nonetheless, my stats are:
MCAT- will take in a month but expecting a 508 minimum and pushing for closer to 512 (pretend it’s 508 in case I royally mess up)
Will have 160-170 hours of clinical volunteering, 150-180 (maybe more) nonclinical volunteering, 2 major leadership positions, 60 hours shadowing, approx. 300 hours as a research assistant (possibly my name as a coauthor on a paper or my own poster by this May but not for now), and numerous clubs that contribute to experiences that I can really talk about. Personal statement is based on how extracurriculars have helped me become passionate about serving the underserved particularly with research I have done on transgender healthcare and my community service at the local food bank.
Long story short, I know that no one can give me a set answer, but I am planning to apply to “low tier” schools and just need an idea of if I’m truly a decent candidate or would be wasting $1-2k and a whole lot of time.
Your age and maturity are more likely to be an issue. Interviewees like yourself seldom do well at our interviews.

Your EC hours right now are very cookie cutter

You should apply when you have the best possible app.

My advice is to graduate early and then work for a year. Get some experience in the real world and seasoning, and save up some money as well. Employment history is always good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are most certainly a "decent" candidate, but in a world where 60% of applicants are unsuccessful and around 2/3 of all matriculants have at least one gap year, you are starting at a real disadvantage applying after only 3 years of UG. Period. Only you can decide whether it's worth the effort and money, but the odds are against you, no matter how high your GPA or MCAT. You are going to be competing against literally tens of thousands of applicants with 1, 2, 3 or more extra years to have all kinds of experiences that you will be lacking due to your age, and that plays into the maturity @Goro referenced above. Only time can address that. Good luck!!!

Edit -- the train you are looking for might very well have left the station a few years ago. Given your grades, and your plan to apply to "low tier" schools, you might have been a great candidate for a 7 year BS/MD program that would have fed you into med school after 3 years. Now that you are here, there is no such thing as an "easy" school to get into, so "high tier" or "low tier" doesn't matter if you just don't have to time to have the ECs they expect to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.