This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdf2398

Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Current pre-med applying to medical school and am exhausted by multiple secondary essays from most schools I am applying to. I know this doesn’t pertain to me at the moment, but for the Match, do residency programs require secondary essays just like you do when you apply to medical school? Also, assuming they don’t have secondary essays, do you have to go through a lengthy secondary response questionnaire for each program you apply to (ex: you are required to put down your community service, classes you took to fulfill certain things, biographical info, etc). It’s a bit frustrating to rehash the things you wrote on your actual application for secondaries... and don’t get me started about the essays lol. Thanks for going through my rant and I would really appreciate if someone could answer this for me!!
Why are you even thinking about this now? There is a 60% chance you have something much more important to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Current pre-med applying to medical school and am exhausted by multiple secondary essays from most schools I am applying to. I know this doesn’t pertain to me at the moment, but for the Match, do residency programs require secondary essays just like you do when you apply to medical school? Also, assuming they don’t have secondary essays, do you have to go through a lengthy secondary response questionnaire for each program you apply to (ex: you are required to put down your community service, classes you took to fulfill certain things, biographical info, etc). It’s a bit frustrating to rehash the things you wrote on your actual application for secondaries... and don’t get me started about the essays lol. Thanks for going through my rant and I would really appreciate if someone could answer this for me!!
So if you do have to do it are you changing career paths?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

If memory serves, one of the smaller surgical subspecialties (I think ENT?) made it so you had to write a secondary for each separate program to discourage applicants from applying to every single one. Things could change in 5 years, but as of now most fields don't require secondaries of any kind.

Was just wondering if this was on the application in the future, my apologies!
Fair enough, but the implication is that you are taking a very significant prerequisite for granted. Maybe the appropriate time to wonder is once you know that such an application is in your future.

You have a lot of time and some significant hurdles to overcome before it would be productive to even think about it, unless, as @candbgirl pointed out, the answer will impact whether or not you apply to med school.

Thank you for your response! So I guess certain competitive specialities (and maybe a few programs) might have secondaries, but it’s not like the typical essays we are required to write for medical school? Of course, things could change you’re absolutely right just wanted to see how things are at the moment so I know what to expect in the future!

All I (think I) know is every ENT program required a secondary that was ostensibly "why XXX ENT program?" Beyond that, I don't think any field required anything in terms of secondaries. Though I'll be honest, I only know in depth about EM residency applications (for the record, they required no secondary).

Status
Not open for further replies.