This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RippleIllusion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have an interesting choice because I don't think you have done enough community service. Teaching and tutoring is overrepresented among prehealth applicants, and you need a committed experience where you immerse yourself in a community in need no matter uncomfortable that may be (somehow not like yourself). Disability does sound like something you are interested in do tell me more about any activities you have done outside of student government regarding this cause.

I also think you can choose to get your nonprofit running with your full attention or you can apply to medical school. It sounds like applying to medical school is a backup in case your non profit doesn't work out. My suggesting is to actually get involved with a current nonprofit and be a volunteer working with those affected whenever you can. You are predicting full- time hours for your CRC job so I would expect around 500-1000 more hours of direct community service activities to be added if you can. You need to get out of the California/HYPSM bubble more when it comes to your activities, IMO. You have enough there with your leadership descriptions and activities.

Only submit your application when you are ready, and plan on going all in and doing it right the first (only) time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an interesting choice because I don't think you have done enough community service. Teaching and tutoring is overrepresented among prehealth applicants, and you need a committed experience where you immerse yourself in a community in need no matter uncomfortable that may be (somehow not like yourself). Disability does sound like something you are interested in do tell me more about any activities you have done outside of student government regarding this cause.

I also think you can choose to get your nonprofit running with your full attention or you can apply to medical school. It sounds like applying to medical school is a backup in case your non profit doesn't work out. My suggesting is to actually get involved with a current nonprofit and be a volunteer working with those affected whenever you can. You are predicting full- time hours for your CRC job so I would expect around 500-1000 more hours of direct community service activities to be added if you can. You need to get out of the California/HYPSM bubble more when it comes to your activities, IMO. You have enough there with your leadership descriptions and activities.

Only submit your application when you are ready, and plan on going all in and doing it right the first (only) time.
@Mr.Smile12 Thank you very much for your advice; I will try to find more community service work.
Given my NCs and Cs in sophomore year and an “eh” junior year, do you think it's worth taking even more post-bacc classes just to solidify the A trend in senior year, even if they do not really help my GPA? (I've already taken two post-bacc classes, both A's.) I’m worried about how my stats look for these competitive schools, but I'm not sure if I can still mitigate something that can’t be changed (my past record).

Last edited:
It would help knowing what courses you took since biochemistry. You had a year's worth of A's? It might help knowing what other courses are left to take for a postbac. Your GPA trends are not disastrous as you perceive (your sophomore year is still above 3.00), and your MCAT is solid.

Last edited:
It would help knowing what courses you took since biochemistry. You had a year's worth of A's? It might help knowing what other courses are left to take for a postbac. Your GPA trends are not disastrous as you perceive (your sophomore year is still above 3.00), and your MCAT is solid.

My senior year courses were all higher-level biology electives: microbiology, immunology, genetics, anatomy/physiology, epidemiology, chronic diseases, etc. For the post-bacc, I can take biochem yet again or core bio classes similar to those in my sophomore year (for which I got some B's). Thanks again for your help.

My senior year courses were all higher-level biology electives: microbiology, immunology, genetics, anatomy/physiology, epidemiology, chronic diseases, etc. For the post-bacc, I can take biochem yet again or core bio classes similar to those in my sophomore year (for which I got some B's). Thanks again for your help.
We generally don't recommend retaking courses if you passed them before. I don't know if histology or neurobiology is available to you still. Suffice for me to say I think you have to decide on the clinical exposure you have already it you think you want to go for an application, but I would only plan on doubt one application and go "all in" with selecting wisely for a decent number of schools where you have a good shot to get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
We generally don't recommend retaking courses if you passed them before. I don't know if histology or neurobiology is available to you still. Suffice for me to say I think you have to decide on the clinical exposure you have already it you think you want to go for an application, but I would only plan on doubt one application and go "all in" with selecting wisely for a decent number of schools where you have a good shot to get an interview.
I see, thank you so much for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.