This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrisonthree

Reaction score
redacted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The mention that you "cut some corners" makes the story about your dogs workable as a failure essay topic especially if you were NEVER able to get the dogs to get along or the process took significantly longer to work. After all, failure usually means the outcome did not meet what was desired as a goal.

I presume the rest is part of your thinking outline. Otherwise, you don't need to put down the rest of your "lessons learned" summary as if it concludes a "The More You Know" episode/public service announcement. :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
i actually had to go back to school early with my dog and wonder if i could ever go back with him given the absolute terror state our house was in for the two weeks— the next time we brought him home i was very cautious about acclimation, and it worked out fine. i will add this info if it makes the failure aspect more clear

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
wondering what thoughts are on the following concept for an essay about a time of failure:

during a long drive back home from school for the first time with a dog i adopted at school, there were a bunch of unexpected things that made the drive back longer--i was exhausted when i finally reached home and made an impulse decision to cut some corners in acclimatizing my school dog with my home dog, as they were meeting for the first time. as a result they totally failed to get along and for about two weeks i had to spend time working to fix their initial antagonism, with gates all over the house to prevent them from barking at each other. the failure to pursue the last step in successfully transitioning my dog to my home after the drive taught me not to be impulsive at the last step of a process, as it can make the entire preceding effort useless. i learned to make sure to completely see tasks through no matter how tedious the last step is, and this lesson carried value in settings like lab, where waiting for a brain to fix in solution as the last step in processing could take a while, but if i tried to save time on this last step of processing the brain the entire experiment preceding the moment could be useless. in the operating room a surgeon told me that at the end of the case, when everyone wanted to leave, you still had to give every last clsing stitch full attention because an infection or dehiscment could make the entire half day surgery preceding closure useless.

thoughts?
As a dog owner (granted, he is the world's stupidest dog), I can relate.

But as my learned colleague points out, you need to stick to the failure part.

Reactions: 1 user
As a dog owner (granted, he is the world's stupidest dog), I can relate.

But as my learned colleague points out, you need to stick to the failure part.

so stick with the situation and focus more on the immediate failure and consequences? or scrap the situation altogether?

so stick with the situation and focus more on the immediate failure and consequences? or scrap the situation altogether?
This is where @Goro and I may differ (see later comment). I think if you tried again to get them together after adjusting and it worked, you probably would be fine in your response.

I own cats, and the two have remained forever/furever separated after multiple attempts and strategies. I also have an engineering background, and failure is always a pathway to learning and improvement. Focus on the problem-solving after the failure.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users