1st post/1st interview/1st acceptance...need help deciding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkdrifto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got word last Friday that I got accepted to TUCOM-NV. I have another interview next week at TUCOM-MI. I love almost everything about the NV campus, except for the high temperatures during the summer. As for the MI campus, I cannot stand being in places that cold (looking at the evening temp. it's about 37 degrees F; sorry I'm from So-cal so yes, I am spoiled). For those already accepted or attending either of these schools, can you please tell me the averages for your college for the following criteria:

Living Expenses
1)Average cost for a 1 bdrm apt.
2)Average Transportation/Parking Cost.
3)Energy bills/internet.

And also, if you were accepted to both, which one would you choose and why?

The reason why I am asking is because obtaining $2000 for the down payment will be difficult for me especially in the 2 wk time period that they require, and there is no way I could afford $4k if I get accepted to both.
Thank you very much for your help.

As for now.
TUCOM-NV Class of 2011!!!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I just got word last Friday that I got accepted to TUCOM-NV. I have another interview next week at TUCOM-MI. I love almost everything about the NV campus, except for the high temperatures during the summer. As for the MI campus, I cannot stand being in places that cold (looking at the evening temp. it's about 37 degrees F; sorry I'm from So-cal so yes, I am spoiled). For those already accepted or attending either of these schools, can you please tell me the averages for your college for the following criteria:

Living Expenses
1)Average cost for a 1 bdrm apt.
2)Average Transportation/Parking Cost.
3)Energy bills/internet.

And also, if you were accepted to both, which one would you choose and why?

The reason why I am asking is because obtaining $2000 for the down payment will be difficult for me especially in the 2 wk time period that they require, and there is no way I could afford $4k if I get accepted to both.
Thank you very much for your help.

As for now.
TUCOM-NV Class of 2011!!!:confused:

First of all, congrats on your acceptance. Secondly, maybe because I am older, 43-44 upon matriculation, I have a feeling of be grateful for what you have. Both Touro's are good. I know one doc that I shadowed, graduated from Touro-MI and he said his education was good. I lived in Southern Calif. for 7 years, so I know how easy it is to get spoiled. I now live in Michigan, grew up here, and moved back in '91. I tolerate the winters. I will apply to alot of schools, but none that I wouldn't attend if it were my only acceptance. So basically, if you don't like cold weather, perhaps you shouldn't have applied to places that are in the colder regions. Although, I don't consider MI to be in one of those regions. I can't comment on which is a better fit for you, only you can gauge which one feels "right." Have you applied to Western or either one of the Arizonia schools? Just some food for thought. Once again, congrats on your acceptance and good luck on whatever school you choose.

Rob

Sorry for my ignorance, but where is TUCOM-MI? I thought they only had a campus in CA and NV?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance:thumbup:

I was accepted to both, and though I won't be attending either, Nevada ended up being a very close second in my book (next to Arizona). Henderson is a cheaper place to live than the Bay Area and you can't beat the weather there. Also, I met several students at Nevada and they were some of the coolest med students I've ever met. Very happy, relaxed. The faculty were very approachable; the facilities brand-new; and the rotations set-up looked much more appealing to me, since I'd like to live with my fiance during 3rd/4th years instead of traveling constantly.

If I were you, I'd e-mail Roger and ask him if you could have a short extension on that deposit. He was very nice when I asked him about it. Then, go to the Touro-CA interview with an open mind and listen to your gut. Best of luck.

don't forget that Nevada is just sort of the opposite as for continental climate zones, sorta like TU-MI. While most people enjoy the perfect weather or summers and hide indoors during the cold winter, you hide indoors during the summer at NV and the weather is perfect during the winter.

Not much different, you just need to adjust seasons :)

If you were planning on practicing in California, would it be better to goto Touro-MI because it's in California?

thx

If you were planning on practicing in California, would it be better to goto Touro-MI because it's in California?

thx

Hey HP,
Yes, I love California and have been born and raised here. Looking back at my non-traditional lifestyle: I grew up close to downtown, went to school in East LA, 1st of my friends to finish his degree, worked in South Central, worked in the inner parts of Pomona, volunteered and am currently working in a hospital in the rougher parts of Long Beach. I think it's time for me to experience something away from So-Cal, only then can I see things with open eyes.

The Pros for MI:
1. It's in California
2. It's close to the water.
3. It's slightly more established.

Cons for MI:
1. It's in Cali and living expenses would be much more higher.
2. From reading other people's experience, it has older buildings and is away from civilization.
3. It can get really chilly, being close to the water.

Pros for NV:
1. Cheaper living, plus if you have been to Henderson, it's kinda comparable to Chino Hills (nice, safe, clean).
2. New facilities.
3. Adaptive curriculum and the students would be the pioneers in establishing new clinical sites.
4. Great students and staff (sorry can't comment on MI since I didn't go there yet.)

Cons for NV:
1. Heat during the summer (utility expenses would be down since I can cook my breakfast on the sidewalk.)
2. Since the school is new, breaking the ice with some area hospitals for rotations can be sketchy at the moment.
3. Desert; no rain and when it does, it pours.