2.5 GPA - What are my post bacc/SMP options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentforLife77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any of your opinions and advice.

I graduate in 2015 with my degree in Chemistry. Unfortunately, I ended up graduating with a low GPA. In the years that have followed, I have decided my dream is to attend medical school and work as a doctor. I realize I have a long road ahead of me, and I am prepared to spend years working towards this goal. For context, I am 25 years old.

I do not have much medical experience beyond some volunteer hours in the OR of my local hospital. So, my first step has been to enroll in an EMT training course. I will be done with this soon, and hope to work as an EMT to gain clinical experience. I have also signed up to volunteer at a local hospital through the Red Cross.

I am having trouble finding post baccalaureate programs that accept students with such a low GPA. The only one I have found is San Francisco State, which I will be applying to.

I have started researching SMPs, but I am worried that I should focus on raising my undergraduate GPA versus obtaining a separate GPA for a masters degree. I have heard that most medical schools will automatically rule anyone out with a GPA lower than 3.0. Based on my current amount of credits, I should be able to raise my GPA up to a 3.0 in three semesters, provided I earn all A's.

If anyone can give me their thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like guidance on what post baccalaureate programs accept applicants with 2.5 GPA, as well as general advice on what steps I need to take in order to eventually get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just take more classes while you work as an EMT to boost that GPA to at least a 3.0 and then look for an SMP. It’s what I did and am currently doing. It’s really the only option for folks like us. Or get to a 3.0 and kill you MCAT (517+) and you could have a chance somewhere but still the odds are low, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you in advance for any of your opinions and advice.

I graduate in 2015 with my degree in Chemistry. Unfortunately, I ended up graduating with a low GPA. In the years that have followed, I have decided my dream is to attend medical school and work as a doctor. I realize I have a long road ahead of me, and I am prepared to spend years working towards this goal. For context, I am 25 years old.

I do not have much medical experience beyond some volunteer hours in the OR of my local hospital. So, my first step has been to enroll in an EMT training course. I will be done with this soon, and hope to work as an EMT to gain clinical experience. I have also signed up to volunteer at a local hospital through the Red Cross.

I am having trouble finding post baccalaureate programs that accept students with such a low GPA. The only one I have found is San Francisco State, which I will be applying to.

I have started researching SMPs, but I am worried that I should focus on raising my undergraduate GPA versus obtaining a separate GPA for a masters degree. I have heard that most medical schools will automatically rule anyone out with a GPA lower than 3.0. Based on my current amount of credits, I should be able to raise my GPA up to a 3.0 in three semesters, provided I earn all A's.

If anyone can give me their thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like guidance on what post baccalaureate programs accept applicants with 2.5 GPA, as well as general advice on what steps I need to take in order to eventually get into medical school.

I was in a similar situation (though, my GPA was ~2.7). I continued taking classes at my undergrad (a cheap state school) and got my gpa to 3.0 before applying to SMPs. I was taking around 18 credit hours per semester and getting all A's. Honestly, if you've already taken all of the pre-reqs, nobody is really going to care about the prestige of your post-bacc. But you need to get your GPA up a little - you will be auto screened by some medical schools if you stay below a 3.0.

Anyway, my plan was get my GPA over 3.0 (took ~ 3 semesters longer than I needed to graduate), do well on the MCAT, then apply to SMPs. I ended up doing the SMP at Cincinnati and got in to medical school after my first semester of grades. But the key here is to just be patient - if you rush things you could end up digger yourself into a deeper hole. You need to be perfect from now on. I also did a ton of EC's during that time - I wanted to make sure that my entire application was perfect, except for my low GPA, and I wanted to put as much time and good grades between when I applied to medical school and when I got those poor grades. Honestly, it is very doable but you really need to be patient. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation (though, my GPA was ~2.7). I continued taking classes at my undergrad (a cheap state school) and got my gpa to 3.0 before applying to SMPs. I was taking around 18 credit hours per semester and getting all A's. Honestly, if you've already taken all of the pre-reqs, nobody is really going to care about the prestige of your post-bacc. But you need to get your GPA up a little - you will be auto screened by some medical schools if you stay below a 3.0.

Anyway, my plan was get my GPA over 3.0 (took ~ 3 semesters longer than I needed to graduate), do well on the MCAT, then apply to SMPs. I ended up doing the SMP at Cincinnati and got in to medical school after my first semester of grades. But the key here is to just be patient - if you rush things you could end up digger yourself into a deeper hole. You need to be perfect from now on. I also did a ton of EC's during that time - I wanted to make sure that my entire application was perfect, except for my low GPA, and I wanted to put as much time and good grades between when I applied to medical school and when I got those poor grades. Honestly, it is very doable but you really need to be patient. Good luck!!!
Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll have to follow the path of a state school DIY post bacc for a year. Then I'll take the MCAT, and apply to medical school. If I don't get in, I'll apply to a SMP and apply again after the program. I'm looking at about two years of additional school at this point before medical school.

What extracurricular activities did you do?

I would just take more classes while you work as an EMT to boost that GPA to at least a 3.0 and then look for an SMP. It’s what I did and am currently doing. It’s really the only option for folks like us. Or get to a 3.0 and kill you MCAT (517+) and you could have a chance somewhere but still the odds are low, IMHO.
Okay, that seems to be the g
Okay, that seems to be the general consensus. I'll enroll in a state school this fall if I don't get into the SF program.

Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll have to follow the path of a state school DIY post bacc for a year. Then I'll take the MCAT, and apply to medical school. If I don't get in, I'll apply to a SMP and apply again after the program. I'm looking at about two years of additional school at this point before medical school.

What extracurricular activities did you do?

You can apply for an SMP and medical school in the same cycle. Medical school applications open in June, and you will know by ~February if you have a shot at getting into medical school. If you haven't gotten in, or are on a few waitlists, at that time, you can apply to SMP's in February/March.

I did research, a lot of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing. I volunteered at a free clinic, a hospital, and a homeless shelter for ~15 to 20 hours total per week.

You can apply for an SMP and medical school in the same cycle. Medical school applications open in June, and you will know by ~February if you have a shot at getting into medical school. If you haven't gotten in, or are on a few waitlists, at that time, you can apply to SMP's in February/March.

I did research, a lot of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing. I volunteered at a free clinic, a hospital, and a homeless shelter for ~15 to 20 hours total per week.
Oh, good to know. Wow, that is a lot of time spent on volunteering. I am assuming you did not work during this time?