2 Chems, Physics, and MCAT early? Switched from PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bzeeb17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I've read so many of these forums, it's nice to finally post in one!

So here it goes: I will be a fifth-year college student this fall, having completed all PA requirements but decided on wanting to go to med school. This requires me to retake 2 semesters of gen chem, orgo, physics, and biochem. PA requires one semester, so I need to take the two semester upper-level ones. My advisers think since I have taken them all before, I'll be fine doubling/tripling up, so this fall I will take Gen Chem 2, Orgo 1, and Physics 1. In the winter semester: Orgo 2, biochem 2, and physics 2. If I feel like that's too much, then biochem over the summer.

My question is that do you think it's possible to take the MCAT in January or late March (during spring break), since I've already been exposed to the material and my study habits are good. I would really like to apply to med school in 2018, even though that's all quite the cram. I would love to hear thoughts on how crazy this sounds and if I should just expand my classes over a longer time period and apply in 2019. Much thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!
I've read so many of these forums, it's nice to finally post in one!

So here it goes: I will be a fifth-year college student this fall, having completed all PA requirements but decided on wanting to go to med school. This requires me to retake 2 semesters of gen chem, orgo, physics, and biochem. PA requires one semester, so I need to take the two semester upper-level ones. My advisers think since I have taken them all before, I'll be fine doubling/tripling up, so this fall I will take Gen Chem 2, Orgo 1, and Physics 1. In the winter semester: Orgo 2, biochem 2, and physics 2. If I feel like that's too much, then biochem over the summer.

My question is that do you think it's possible to take the MCAT in January or late March (during spring break), since I've already been exposed to the material and my study habits are good. I would really like to apply to med school in 2018, even though that's all quite the cram. I would love to hear thoughts on how crazy this sounds and if I should just expand my classes over a longer time period and apply in 2019. Much thanks for reading!

By winter semester do you mean like an annotated 6 week semester? I think orgo 2, biochemistry 2, and physics 2 would be really, really difficult to do in that time period.

Truthfully I felt like you only need one semester of biochemistry pre MCAT. But yes I think in theory you could take the test in March. Don't be afraid of a later spring date, though.

Why are you retaking these courses?

I'm not retaking them, I am taking different courses. At my university (for example) we have Chem 109, which is a general chemistry. We also have Chem 115/116, which is also general chemistry as well, but more in-depth. Orgo is the same way, as well as physics. Pre-PA requires the one semester version, while med schools require the two semester version.

Members don't see this ad :)
By winter semester do you mean like an annotated 6 week semester? I think orgo 2, biochemistry 2, and physics 2 would be really, really difficult to do in that time period.

Truthfully I felt like you only need one semester of biochemistry pre MCAT. But yes I think in theory you could take the test in March. Don't be afraid of a later spring date, though.

We have fall semester and winter semester, both the usual 15 weeks!

Are you still fairly young? If so, I say don't rush all of this. I'm 28 and I switched from going for PA to going for med school when I was 27. This was after seeing a classmate of mine who was 29/30 and got accepted into a top 20 medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not retaking them, I am taking different courses. At my university (for example) we have Chem 109, which is a general chemistry. We also have Chem 115/116, which is also general chemistry as well, but more in-depth. Orgo is the same way, as well as physics. Pre-PA requires the one semester version, while med schools require the two semester version.
Gotcha, you used the phrase "retake" in your original post and I was quite confused about why on earth you would need to retake all of those courses :p

Whether or not it's a good idea to take all those courses at once depends a lot on how you study and where your skills lie. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the series that you'll be taking all focus on very different types of thinking - physics is very mathematical in nature, gen chem is very "general concept" in nature, organic chemistry tests problem-solving and also requires a significant amount of memorization, biochem tests your ability to apply material from many other disciplines and your ability to memorize. I would highly recommend that you sit down and take a very honest stock of which of these things you're strong in and which you're weak in. If you find that you're weak in both math and problem-solving, for example, strongly consider not taking physics and organic chemistry at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Spring break may be your best option, or even consider summer MCAT. The reason I suggest this is because you will need dedicated MCAT study time. It will be less efficient if studying for the MCAT turns into learning and not reviewing as intended. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user