2005 US News IM ranking anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
whoever has the premium edition, share the love...:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Newly ranked in 2004....

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Harvard University (MA)
3. University of California?San Francisco
4. Duke University (NC)
5. University of Washington
6. University of Pennsylvania
7. Washington University in St. Louis
8. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor
9. Stanford University (CA)
10. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center?Dallas
11. Yale University (CT)
12. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
13. University of California?Los Angeles (Geffen)
14. Mayo Medical School (MN)
15. University of Chicago
16. University of North Carolina?Chapel Hill
17. Vanderbilt University (TN)
18. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)
19. University of Alabama?Birmingham
20. University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
21. Emory University (GA)
University of California?San Diego
23. Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)
24. Baylor College of Medicine (TX)
New York University
26. University of Iowa (Roy J. & Lucille A. Carver)
University of Virginia
28. Case Western Reserve University (OH)
Indiana University?Indianapolis
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (NY)

Compare this to last year's rankings:

1. Harvard University (MA)
2. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
4. Washington University in St. Louis
5. University of Pennsylvania
6. University of Washington
7. Duke University (NC)
9. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center?Dallas
10. Yale University (CT)
11. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
12. Stanford University (CA)
14. University of Alabama?Birmingham
University of Chicago
16. Mayo Medical School (MN)
17. University of California?San Diego
18. University of Iowa (Roy J. & Lucille A. Carver)
University of North Carolina?Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt University (TN)
21. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)
Emory University (GA)
Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)
University of Virginia
26. University of Rochester (NY)
---------------------------------------
Big winners: NYU, Baylor (this is highest I have seen either institutions ranked in IM in any publication) and IU (finally, from all the positive things I have heard attendings and IU graduates say about IM dept at IU , we see it being recognized in rankings) and Colorado

Losers: Sinai, UAB, Iowa

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't put very much weight in any of these grad school rankings that US news puts out, but it's nice to see that a lot of the lesser known but strong IM rep schools like U Alabama, U Iowa, and U Colorado getting some recognition. I know that many people in my IM department would disagree with the placement of some of those schools, like I think that most would agree that U Virginia needs to be bumped up there and Mayo and Stanford might be bumped down a little bit. It's kind of silly to rank them by numbers, since who's to say 2 is better then 3, or 16 is 2 spots better then 18; it would make more sense to me if they did all future rankings by tier, but I guess that having numbers sells more magazines. And where is Brown and Maryland? Some incompetent editor must have made a typo and left those top ranked IM programs off of the list. ;)

I hate these rankings they mean nothing clinically. When you ask where are the Browns and Marylands you have a legitimate point. The ranking are solely based on research dollars, not clinical care, education or even patient satisfaction. I put no stock in the rankings they are superficial and should be abolished.

The rankings just feed the insecurities of folks that think that going to one of these ranked programs gives them any definable edge and makes them more than meer doctors. The same personalities that 95% of us in med school immediately identified and avoided. Remember too that US News only ranked academic medical centers and neglects community programs, which in some cases provide excellent training.

As someone headed for UAB, I just wish I knew how much the reputation of the IM department would decrease over past 2 years (ie. from #11 to #14 to #19). It's just such a shame that the quality is dissipating the way it so clearly must be. Oh, how I wish I had these crucial ranklists before completing my own ROL--things could have turned out so differently! :laugh:

Originally posted by Mick Turition
As someone headed for UAB, I just wish I knew how much the reputation of the IM department would decrease over past 2 years (ie. from #11 to #14 to #19). It's just such a shame that the quality is dissipating the way it so clearly must be. Oh, how I wish I had these crucial ranklists before completing my own ROL--things could have turned out so differently! :laugh:

It's amusing that a department can add more NIH funding and keep all of their good faculty, not lose anyone, and still decrease precipitously in the rankings.

C'est la vie.

think vandy is going to go down for next year after not filling two spots?

I think they just shuffle a few spots, put them up, and call it a new edition :p

anyone know where BID boston would be in that mix?

Originally posted by rgizmo

In the academic rankings, usnews doesn't distinguish between the Harvard hospitals or any of the other affiliate hospitals that med schools have.

And it's true about "shuffling" schools around to sell magazines. I know that for their ranking of colleges, they arbitrarily change their ranking criteria from year to year so that the list doesn't remain the same every year. It forces people to purchase the "newest" edition so that they will be "up to date" with where their college is ranked.

what about clevland clinic.. i dont see it up on the list..

CCF is arguable the strongest hospital in the midwest and the cardiology mecca of the world. However, the residency program, although up and coming, is not even the strongest in Cleveland (Case Western is and very few who are familiar with both programs would argue). CCF takes 1/4-1/3 of its class (at least the last few years) from FMGs. Although I have nothing against FMGs, they are obviously not drawing as well as other schools on this list. They do match incredibly well for fellowships, but don't take their own in cardiology (largest cards fellowship program but only have taken 1 of their own recently).

Even if the residency program belonged, I'm not sure it would have been listed since the med school is just beginning there and technically still under CWRU.

Originally posted by whupdido
think vandy is going to go down for next year after not filling two spots?

I think they just shuffle a few spots, put them up, and call it a new edition :p

UCLA didn't fill 6 spots last year, and look what it does to their rankings...

Absolutely nothing.

The bottom line is, departmental rankings have very little to do with residency, and as previous posters suggested, a lot of this is bogus. Supposedly they randomly polled some senior faculty in different institutions (everything withheld, of course), and ask them to name 10 institutions that they think is the top 10. And according to US News the rankings basically reflect which institution gets the most votes. For all I care they can easily just make things up and no one would know.

rgizmo said:
when it comes to nih grants BID does very well, although still in the shadow of MGH and Brigham:

"Beth Israel Deaconess is the third largest recipient of NIH Research funding among independent U.S. teaching hospitals."

remember this is only NIH funding- I don't know how much NIH funding really has to do with clinical teaching but...

Do you happen to have the Peds rankings? Thanks!

SachinG said:
Newly ranked in 2004....

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Harvard University (MA)
4. Duke University (NC)
5. University of Washington
6. University of Pennsylvania
7. Washington University in St. Louis
9. Stanford University (CA)
10. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center?Dallas
11. Yale University (CT)
12. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
14. Mayo Medical School (MN)
15. University of Chicago
16. University of North Carolina?Chapel Hill
17. Vanderbilt University (TN)
18. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)
19. University of Alabama?Birmingham
20. University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
21. Emory University (GA)
University of California?San Diego
23. Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)
24. Baylor College of Medicine (TX)
New York University
26. University of Iowa (Roy J. & Lucille A. Carver)
University of Virginia
28. Case Western Reserve University (OH)
Indiana University?Indianapolis