"Help Me Rank" IM 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my top five. Would like to pursue cardiology (possibly interventional) down the road.

1. UVA
2. Baylor
3. NYU
4. Brown
5. CCF

Quality of life is important to me, and I got the best vibe from UVA. That said I recognize that Baylor is well known for cardiology so I am debating top two.

Here are my top five. Would like to pursue cardiology (possibly interventional) down the road.

1. UVA
2. Baylor
3. NYU
4. Brown
5. CCF

Quality of life is important to me, and I got the best vibe from UVA. That said I recognize that Baylor is well known for cardiology so I am debating top two.
if QOL is important to you then Brown should be above NYU and NYU should be last lol. QOL wise i would go
1. UVA
2. Brown
3. CCF
4. Baylor
5. NYU

Cards wise/cards fellowship match I would go
1. NYU
2. CCF
3. Baylor
4. UVA
5. Brown

Members don't see this ad :)
if QOL is important to you then Brown should be above NYU and NYU should be last lol. QOL wise i would go
1. UVA
2. Brown
3. CCF
4. Baylor
5. NYU

Cards wise/cards fellowship match I would go
1. NYU
2. CCF
3. Baylor
4. UVA
5. Brown
Thanks. I think for family reasons UVA will likely be number one for me. I’m just trying to gauge how big of a step down that is for cardiology from CCF, NYU, Baylor.

Thanks. I think for family reasons UVA will likely be number one for me. I’m just trying to gauge how big of a step down that is for cardiology from CCF, NYU, Baylor.
UVA has had cards matches at Texas Heart CCF UNC Emory Dartmouth Duke etc so very solid for sure. As an IM program CCF is slightly worse or similar tier to UVA but for Cards CCF may be better. UVA (T40) is def a step down from NYU (T20) but NYU is quite toxic and lots of scut (lab drawing bed transportation etc by residents) from what I have heard. Baylor residents also work super hard. You really really cant go wrong with UVA they have great cards match to get you to where you want to go and super supportive cushy environment and cush schedule (3+1). I had the same priorities as you i wanted namebrand and QOL but didnt want to sacrifice QOL for namebrand-I would say the following below in order would probably give u the best combo of both where NYU and Baylor doesnt have the best QOL and schedule but if youre going to be in the trenches id rather have trained at NYU than Baylor.
1. UVA
2. Brown
3. CCF
4. NYU
5. Baylor

UVA has had cards matches at Texas Heart CCF UNC Emory Dartmouth Duke etc so very solid for sure. As an IM program CCF is slightly worse or similar tier to UVA but for Cards CCF may be better. UVA (T40) is def a step down from NYU (T20) but NYU is quite toxic and lots of scut (lab drawing bed transportation etc by residents) from what I have heard. Baylor residents also work super hard. You really really cant go wrong with UVA they have great cards match to get you to where you want to go and super supportive cushy environment and cush schedule (3+1). I had the same priorities as you i wanted namebrand and QOL but didnt want to sacrifice QOL for namebrand-I would say the following below in order would probably give u the best combo of both where NYU and Baylor doesnt have the best QOL and schedule but if youre going to be in the trenches id rather have trained at NYU than Baylor.
1. UVA
2. Brown
3. CCF
4. NYU
5. Baylor
Thanks for the advice!

Medstar WHC has a pretty good track record of Card fellowship matches and thought it seemed a decent program. Any reason why you suggest UNLV over this?
only academic program on the list resources wise generally academic>community for IM for cards in terms of research access but youre right it seems like in this case medstar whc wins their felllowship match for cards is better

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
only academic program on the list resources wise generally academic>community for IM for cards in terms of research access but youre right it seems like in this case medstar whc wins their felllowship match for cards is better
Thank you. Appreciate your insight.

Thanks! Any insight on culture at either place?
Not sure but I know NW culture is pretty good from what ive heard dont take my word for it though i would check the IM spreadsheets for this year.
edit: UMichigan is super super inpatient heavy intern yr and seems like more time off at NW with slightly less busy schedule. Both places seem like they have good culture and supportive environment. Location wise i would rather live in Chi than Ann Arbor but thats just me. Id go with NW > Umich just my opinion but up to your and ur career goals

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern vs Michigan for QoL, program culture, and mentorship?
Michigan is a tip of the spear-top 10 program of the highest caliber. Was blown away when I interviewed there both figuratively (and literally by the snow storm that was happening). The only reason not to go there is if you have an aversion to living in a college town IMO

Last edited:
Thanks! Any insight on culture at either place?
I think of Michigan like UTSW but with snow. If you've got it in you to do the work, you'll be set up to do whatever you want to in the future. Definitely not for everyone, but for the right people it's a stellar program.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure but I know NW culture is pretty good from what ive heard dont take my word for it though i would check the IM spreadsheets for this year.
edit: UMichigan is super super inpatient heavy intern yr and seems like more time off at NW with slightly less busy schedule. Both places seem like they have good culture and supportive environment. Location wise i would rather live in Chi than Ann Arbor but thats just me. Id go with NW > Umich just my opinion but up to your and ur career goals

What do you think about Michigan vs UChicago? I suppose NW and UChicago are similar prestige-wise, but I know that NW wins when it comes to quality of life. On the other hand, Chicago still beats Ann Arbor as far as the location goes, but I don't know if that makes up for the more intense workload (and overnight call) found at UChicago. My career goals at the moment are cards fellowship, and it seems that UChicago's cards matches have been pretty solid. (something interesting I found on their website, not sure if significant - out of the 70+ UC cards matches since 2012, none went to Northwestern)

Comparing the schedule, honestly NW and Michigan are the same, both with 9 months of intern year, and basically the same schedule 2nd/3rd year. I don't think NW can be considered a cush residency these days tbh

What do you think about Michigan vs UChicago? I suppose NW and UChicago are similar prestige-wise, but I know that NW wins when it comes to quality of life. On the other hand, Chicago still beats Ann Arbor as far as the location goes, but I don't know if that makes up for the more intense workload (and overnight call) found at UChicago. My career goals at the moment are cards fellowship, and it seems that UChicago's cards matches have been pretty solid. (something interesting I found on their website, not sure if significant - out of the 70+ UC cards matches since 2012, none went to Northwestern)
Do you like 28 hrs call or long days(12-14 hr)?

Do you like 28 hrs call or long days(12-14 hr)?

Did some digging and it seems like UChicago has Q5 28 hr call on both ICU and wards. If it was just ICU I might be willing to deal with it, but learning that it's on wards too means I have to do some more thinking now, lol. Do you happen to know if they have any plans to change their call schedule in the future?

Prestige/tier wise Uchicago wins but also i think culture wise and QOL NW wins. Youll match cards at a reputable program coming from either. Same location and UChicago only really marginally better

My final rank list. Let me know if I am crazy for ranking any of these higher than the others. I am looking to do Cardiology.

1.) University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH)
2.) Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (Richmond, VA)
3.) University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School (Worcester, MA)
4.) University of Connecticut (Farmington, CT)
5.) University of Buffalo (Buffalo, NY)
6.) Albert Einstein Healthcare Network (Philadelphia, PA)
7.) Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (Roanoke, VA)
8.) Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine (Allentown, PA)
9.) The MetroHealth System/Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)
10.) Albert Einstein Healthcare Network/Einstein Medical Center Montgomery (East Norriton, PA)
11.) Summa Health System/NEOMED (Akron, OH)
12.) Akron General Medical Center/NEOMED (Akron, OH)
13.) Greenwich Hospital/Yale University (Greenwich, CT)
(I have 3 others that are at the very bottom that I am certain about).

Thank you all!
I am curious why Greenwich is at the very bottom of this list? Could anyone comment?

All three will get you into a premier cards fellowship. Would you like to learn from the experts in HF or EP? NW and Michigan have very similar strengths in terms of training. As others mentioned, the bigger differences being night float or 28hr shifts. NW hospital is gorgeous (there’s a reason they call it hotel Feinberg) and Chicago is lots of fun. I would pick based on geography or your gut impression.

• Love
All three will get you into a premier cards fellowship. Would you like to learn from the experts in HF or EP? NW and Michigan have very similar strengths in terms of training. As others mentioned, the bigger differences being night float or 28hr shifts. NW hospital is gorgeous (there’s a reason they call it hotel Feinberg) and Chicago is lots of fun. I would pick based on geography or your gut impression.
This^

Thinking of Cardiology or Heme/Onc Fellowship. Average DO fourth year. Here is what I am working with:

1. FSU Sarasota
2. Mercer/HCA Memorial
3. Northside Gwinnett
4. Yale Greenwich
5. UCF/HCA Greater Orlando
6. Tripler Army Medical Center
7. HCA Aventura
8. Albert Einstein
9. Northeast GA Med Center
10. Sky Ridge
11. Northside St. Petersburg
12. HCA Orange Park
13. Advent Tampa
14. HCA Brandon
15. UF at Pensacola
16. FSU Cape Coral
17. Legacy in Portland
18. Coney Island

Appreciate any thoughts/input.

Thinking of Cardiology or Heme/Onc Fellowship. Average DO fourth year. Here is what I am working with:

1. FSU Sarasota
2. Mercer/HCA Memorial
3. Northside Gwinnett
4. Yale Greenwich
7. HCA Aventura
8. Albert Einstein
10. Sky Ridge
12. HCA Orange Park
13. Advent Tampa
14. HCA Brandon
15. UF at Pensacola
16. FSU Cape Coral
17. Legacy in Portland
18. Coney Island

is that Einstein Montefiore and is that UCF? if so, those should go at the top. i Don’t know much about the other ones.

1. FSU Sarasota
2. Mercer/HCA Memorial
3. Northside Gwinnett
4. Yale Greenwich
7. HCA Aventura
8. Albert Einstein
10. Sky Ridge
12. HCA Orange Park
13. Advent Tampa
14. HCA Brandon
15. UF at Pensacola
16. FSU Cape Coral
17. Legacy in Portland
18. Coney Island

I think Einstein should be a lot higher... not sure what your goals are but I would put Einstein above Greenwich without a doubt. It's a really solid community program with an impressive fellowship match. Idk much about the others other than people say to avoid HCA like the plague

Hey everyone,
I'm a US IMG thats been really struggling with my (rather short) rank list and would love some input. Currently looks like this:
1. WashU tied with Pennsy hospital
2. whatever isnt #1
3. Lahey Clinic
4. Lankenau

I'm moving in with my partner, and its been really hard to balance living area vs hospital. The goal is competitive fellowship and I know WashU will be the best bet there, but we're both from a small town our whole lives and hesitant about St. Louis and what we've heard about it's safety and QoL. Any tips are appreciated!

Hey everyone,
I'm a US IMG thats been really struggling with my (rather short) rank list and would love some input. Currently looks like this:
2. whatever isnt #1
3. Lahey Clinic
4. Lankenau

I'm moving in with my partner, and its been really hard to balance living area vs hospital. The goal is competitive fellowship and I know WashU will be the best bet there, but we're both from a small town our whole lives and hesitant about St. Louis and what we've heard about it's safety and QoL. Any tips are appreciated!
WashUSTL? like the WashU? that should by far be your number 1 thats a T15 program. Pennsy Lankenau and Lahey also strong community programs

WashUSTL? like the WashU? that should by far be your number 1 thats a T15 program. Pennsy Lankenau and Lahey also strong community programs
Yeah that's the one. How do you feel about the other three, any thoughts about one over the others?

Hey everyone,
2. whatever isnt #1
3. Lahey Clinic
4. Lankenau

WashU
Pennsy
Whatever

Also, you know that Pennsy is in...Philly, and Lankenau pretty much is too. Lahey more or less in Boston. So of all those places, St. Louis is probably the "small town". It's safe enough. Kind of a crappy city overall and I'd never move back there again, but for a chance at WashU, it's a no-brainer.

I think I have part of my list figured out but I'm having trouble ordering these( QOL, fellowship opportunities Cards, Heme-onc or Endocrinology)

U Illinois at Chicago
UMass Chan Medical School(Worcester)
UT-Houston
Rutgers-NJMS(Newark)
Temple U(Philadelphia)

Hey everyone,
2. whatever isnt #1
3. Lahey Clinic
4. Lankenau

Kinda of an odd list since WashU is the outlier from the others but yeah, its your number 1 bar none.

I think I have part of my list figured out but I'm having trouble ordering these( QOL, fellowship opportunities Cards, Heme-onc or Endocrinology)

U Illinois at Chicago
UMass Chan Medical School(Worcester)
UT-Houston
Rutgers-NJMS(Newark)
Temple U(Philadelphia)
Fellowship opportunities:
1. Temple/UIC
2. NJMS
3. The rest

QOL have no idea for these

Want to pursue Cardiology fellowship, what do you think of this order?
1. Cedars-Sinai
2. Santa Clara Valley Med Ctr
3. Harbor-UCLA
4. University of Utah
5. University of Hawaii
6. U Arizona - Tucson

1. Cedars-Sinai
3. Harbor-UCLA
4. University of Utah
5. University of Hawaii
6. U Arizona - Tucson
1. Utah
2. UCLA-harbor
3. Arizona/Cedars
4. the rest

Cedars is top notch for cards but their IM program doesnt have the same rep as the cards fellowship. Utah is the best program on this list

1. Utah
2. UCLA-harbor
3. Arizona/Cedars
4. the rest

Cedars is top notch for cards but their IM program doesnt have the same rep as the cards fellowship. Utah is the best program on this list
Thank you very much!

Current rank list. West coaster never been to east coast (until recently) and open to anything (like the idea of moving to new city -- been in CA my whole life). Doing GI research at my current home institution on west coast. Interested in GI, QoL, and location:

1) NYP Cornell
2) USC
3) NYU
4) Cedars
5) OHSU
6) UC Davis
7) Huntington Memorial Hospital
8) Kaiser Oakland
9) Harbor UCLA

Would appreciate advice on prospects of future GI fellowship (if I go to east coast am I relatively committed to stay there for GI fellowship?) and if my ROL makes sense.

Thank you!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
2. whatever isnt #1
3. Lahey Clinic
4. Lankenau

I agree with everyone else's comments on WashU being miles ahead of the others in this list. However, this is unfortunately the biggest problem with virtual interviews. It's hard to get a sense of what a city is like if you've never visited. Frankly, St Louis is totally fine. After you match, just ask the resident there where to live and don't look back.
1. Cedars-Sinai
3. Harbor-UCLA
4. University of Utah
5. University of Hawaii
6. U Arizona - Tucson
I'd go something like:
1. Utah
2. Cedars
3. Harbor or UA Tucson
- I like UA's for cards fellowship and has nicer facilities than Harbor by a mile. However, if you want to be on the west coast, you can make an argument for Harbor > UA
5. Hawaii
6. Santa clara

Current rank list. West coaster never been to east coast (until recently) and open to anything (like the idea of moving to new city -- been in CA my whole life). Doing GI research at my current home institution on west coast. Interested in GI, QoL, and location:

1) NYP Cornell
2) USC
3) NYU
4) Cedars
5) OHSU
6) UC Davis
8) Kaiser Oakland
9) Harbor UCLA

Would appreciate advice on prospects of future GI fellowship (if I go to east coast am I relatively committed to stay there for GI fellowship?) and if my ROL makes sense.

Thank you!!!!!
I think that's a solid order. I am a fan of OHSU and would personally put them above Cedars. However, to each their own.

Reactions: 2 users

1) NYP Cornell
2) USC
3) NYU
4) Cedars
5) OHSU
6) UC Davis
8) Kaiser Oakland
9) Harbor UCLA

Thank you!!!!!
For GI fellowship I would go
1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. USC
4. OHSU
5. Cedars
the rest

NYU and Cornell are very strong in GI. For QOL and rep all-together i would put Cornell at the top. NYU has scut and USC I am not sure about QOL there but I have heard some negative things about the culture there for IM but I could be very wrong

I agree with everyone else's comments on WashU being miles ahead of the others in this list. However, this is unfortunately the biggest problem with virtual interviews. It's hard to get a sense of what a city is like if you've never visited. Frankly, St Louis is totally fine. After you match, just ask the resident there where to live and don't look back.
Yeah, the COVID generation and beyond really got shafted with the whole virtual interview paradigm shift

give me validation that I'm right (clearly want to be in the Southeast, USMD, GI fellowship)

1. Emory
2. Mayo Jax
3. UNC
4. MUSC
5. USF
6. VCU
7. Temple
8. Hofstra
9. Brown
10. Vermont

give me validation that I'm right (clearly want to be in the Southeast, USMD, GI fellowship)

1. Emory
2. Mayo Jax
3. UNC
4. MUSC
5. USF
6. VCU
7. Temple
8. Hofstra
9. Brown
10. Vermont.

Emory unc vcu and brown are the best programs on your list.

USF MUSC temple Hofstra and Vermont would be the next rung down.

Mayo jax is a glorified community program. Don’t fall for the name association

The only caveat on how to rank, for your sake, is location. Taking into account geographic preference I would say

Emory
UNC
VCU
MUSC/Mayo Jax
Brown
Vermont
Hofstra
Temple

The only caveat on how to rank, for your sake, is location. Taking into account geographic preference I would say

Emory
UNC
VCU
MUSC/Mayo Jax
Brown
Vermont
Hofstra
Temple
Any thoughts about VCU vs. UMass? I ranked UMass higher because it felt so much better than VCU. VCU felt off for some reason but I feel like it's a strong program. I ranked U Cinci number one and then UMass 2 and VCU 3.

Emory
UNC
VCU
MUSC/Mayo Jax
Brown
Vermont
Hofstra
Temple
100% fellowship match rate dont lie tho. and cush schedule with favorable patient population

Any thoughts about VCU vs. UMass? I ranked UMass higher because it felt so much better than VCU. VCU felt off for some reason but I feel like it's a strong program. I ranked U Cinci number one and then UMass 2 and VCU 3.
Those 3 programs are a "strength" toss up. so if you liked them Cinci/UMass/VCU, that's a great order for you. Nobody can really argue with you on that with a straight face.

For GI fellowship I would go
1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. USC
4. OHSU
5. Cedars
the rest

NYU and Cornell are very strong in GI. For QOL and rep all-together i would put Cornell at the top. NYU has scut and USC I am not sure about QOL there but I have heard some negative things about the culture there for IM but I could be very wrong
Yes...do it like this. I'd personally swap USC and OHSU, but that's mostly because I don't like LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.