"Help Me Rank" IM 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub_Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, figured I'd start a thread for rank order lists now that interview season is winding down - good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll go first! Not sure about fellowship, but liked my cardio and ICU/PCCM rotations. Looking to stay in the NE as far as location, and ideally NJ, as long as it doesn't close any doors for fellowship (family/friends all there).

1. Morristown
2. UConn
3. Georgetown (Wash Uni Hospital)
4. Geisinger Danville
5. St. Luke's (Bethlehem)
6. Jefferson Northeast
7. UPMC Mercy
8. Jersey Shore
9. Norwalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go first! Not sure about fellowship, but liked my cardio and ICU/PCCM rotations. Looking to stay in the NE as far as location, and ideally NJ, as long as it doesn't close any doors for fellowship (family/friends all there).

1. Morristown
2. UConn
3. Georgetown (Wash Uni Hospital)
4. Geisinger Danville
5. St. Luke's (Bethlehem)
6. Jefferson Northeast
7. UPMC Mercy
8. Jersey Shore
9. Norwalk
UConn, Georgetown, the rest.
Do yourself the favor, trust me

In no specific order, but going for GI (and no geo ties)!

1.WashU
2. Miami
3. Colorado
4. UNC
5. UAB
6. CWRU/UH
7. UT-Houston
8. University of Florida (Gainesville)
9. University of Minnesota
WashU, UNC, Minnesota, Colorado, Houston=Gainsville, UAB, Miami, CW

Most likely interested in HemOnc (GI second most likely). Value location pretty highly as well (city life).
Would appreciate help with my list below!

1. Baylor
2. Georgetown
3. Cedars-Sinai
4. Hopkins-Bayview
5. USF
6. GW
7. Mt Sinai - Beth Israel
8. VCU
9. Maryland
10. UAB
11. Tulane
12. Wake Forest
13. UF
14. UCLA - Olive View
15. Scripps Green
On a strictly program strength and future opportunities basis, UAB should be in your top 2. I can understand from a geography perspective why it might be where it is, but, since you asked.

I would say the Top 5 should include Baylor, UAB, Maryland, Bayview and...one of those others.

Pretty much decided on my #1 (won't include here), but having trouble with ranks roughly 2-9 at the moment. My goals are attending the program with the best reputation for good clinical training, diverse clinical research and med ed opportunities, and strong academic heme/onc opportunities and match record. My current rank list is as follows (with pros (+) and cons (-)) but would appreciate others' input based on my goals.

2. Mayo MN (+vibe/PD, schedule, heme/onc, hospital rep, - city and ? IM training reputation)
3. Northwestern (+city, heme/onc, - schedule)
4. Stanford (+heme/onc, IM rep and university resources, - schedule)
5. WashU (+IM rep, heme/onc, schedule/QoL, - location)
6. UCLA (+heme/onc, IM rep, - commuting between 3 clinical sites in LA)
7. BIDMC (+med ed, Harvard, vibe/PD, - home heme/onc, overshadowed by MGH/BWH?)
8. U-Chicago (+city, heme/onc, university resources, - schedule/QoL, ancillary support)
9. Yale (+vibe/PD, good training, - home heme/onc and location)

I'm really grateful for the awesome options and know I can't "go wrong" but still having trouble making the rank list. Any help appreciated.

Put them in order or GTFO.
Thanks for the reminder. I can be bothered to place them in order. Wasn't sure how the thread worked, so here they are in order.
Some additional info: Going for GI or potentially PCCM (pending ICU rotation). No geographic ties and can do city or rural.
1. Colorado
2. WashU
3. UNC
4. Miami
5. UAB
6. CWRU/UH
7. UT-Houston
10. UIC
11. Loyola

Pretty much decided on my #1 (won't include here), but having trouble with ranks roughly 2-9 at the moment. My goals are attending the program with the best reputation for good clinical training, diverse clinical research and med ed opportunities, and strong academic heme/onc opportunities and match record. My current rank list is as follows (with pros (+) and cons (-)) but would appreciate others' input based on my goals.

2. Mayo MN (+vibe/PD, schedule, heme/onc, hospital rep, - city and ? IM training reputation)
8. U-Chicago (+city, heme/onc, university resources, - schedule/QoL, ancillary support)

I'm really grateful for the awesome options and know I can't "go wrong" but still having trouble making the rank list. Any help appreciated.

Impressive list of programs and really just splitting hairs trying to distinguish between them as these are all pretty big time programs. Would have a harder time not ranking WashU near the top or #1 but thats just me.

WashU
UCLA
Stanford
Beth Israel Deaconess
Northwestern
UChicago
Yale
Mayo

Reactions: 1 user
Impressive list of programs and really just splitting hairs trying to distinguish between them as these are all pretty big time programs. Would have a harder time not ranking WashU near the top or #1 but thats just me.

WashU
UCLA
Stanford
Beth Israel Deaconess
Northwestern
UChicago
Yale
Mayo
Thanks for the input! My only question is your rationale for Mayo last since it’s currently top for me. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something. I also loved WashU and am considering moving it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! My only question is your rationale for Mayo last since it’s currently top for me. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something. I also loved WashU and am considering moving it up.

I guess I've always had a question/concern about the rigor and autonomy when training at a place like the Mayo Clinic where the brand as a hospital takes center stage rather than the program itself. I've also heard that because its the Mayo Clinic, the culture of the program is more rigid in that things are done only a certain way which might be a turnoff to some. And lastly, the combination of living in Rochester, MN and prolonged winters would drive me into a deep depression

Choose based on location. You can't go wrong in this group. Be sure you love 1-3.

For me (who is not you):
NW
Stanford
UofC
BIDMC
Yale/WashU/Mayo
UCLA

Thanks for the reminder. I can be bothered to place them in order. Wasn't sure how the thread worked, so here they are in order.
Some additional info: Going for GI or potentially PCCM (pending ICU rotation). No geographic ties and can do city or rural.
1. Colorado
2. WashU
3. UNC
4. Miami
5. UAB
6. CWRU/UH
7. UT-Houston
10. UIC
11. Loyola
Seems reasonable. Back in the day (which was long enough ago that you were probably in middle school), I loved UMinn, so for me it would be it my top 5 on that list.

Miami is more like Meh-a-meh IMO.

I've lived in St. Louis already and you couldn't pay me enough to do it again. That said, if WashU was in a city that didn't suck, it would have been top 2 or 3 on my own rank list (it was Top 10, but barely).

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Thanks for starting this thread. Also looking for advice on ranking- I feel very humbled to have some awesome opportunities but fear I haven’t learned enough about the programs from just the IV day/websites. Any insight is greatly appreciated:)
For context, I am entering IM residency open-minded but am interested in pursuing hospitalist work at an academic center with a large chunk of my schedule allocated to MedEd. Similar to many other applicants, I am looking for that perfect mix of rigorous training yet a *manageable* schedule. I am a hard worker and want to learn as much as I can in residency, but I want this to be at the expense of my mental health as minimal as possible. I go to a mid-tier med school and am used to being around people who are very kind and supportive. Here is my current list along with some remarks for my top choices:

1. Vandy - kicka*s training, especially with the 2 week specialty rotations. Schedule seems a little rough but atleast it’s X+ X+ Y (2 inpatient + 2 inpatient + 2 outpatient). Location is awesome with regard to food scene/things to do however I am not too hip about being in a red state. Seems like they see a lot of super sick patients and “zebra” pathology but also plenty of bread-and-butter through the VA. Nashville isn’t outrageously expensive. The program director is so, SO nice and the residents seem to get along really well.

2. Stanford - Hands down the best IV day I’ve had. Faculty, residents, administration are all just bursting with pride for their program. Residents are some of the most brilliant and impressive humans yet they are so humble and welcoming. Culture just seems fantastic. Schedule is still transitioning a bit from being difficult to more manageable - apparently my class would be the first to only have 1 inpatient rotation with overnight call. Intern cap (9) seems a little high to me but maybe that’s also changing. Opportunities for MedEd are amazing (having Dr. Verghese as a mentor would be insane!) and they really seem to value wellness - each resident gets a licensed therapist free of charge. A couple residents told me they attend therapy sessions weekly. Major, major plus is the beautiful Palo Alto scenery and weather. Downside for sure is the cost of living and it would be difficult for my support system to travel to see me. You do get a higher salary and housing stipend.

3. Michigan - For being an academic center, they have super robust ambulatory opportunities. The residents are SO nice and fun - we played trivia during the Happy Hour which was the best one I’ve attended yet. Obviously the training is stellar and there are tons of MedEd/research opportunities. It is very competitive for staff to be able to work on the teaching services which just speaks to how much the institution values the education of their trainees. Ann Arbor is super affordable and you get a great salary. Also seems to be a pretty city with lots to do yet easy to get around. Schedule is an interesting mix of inpatient with half days of clinic each week- not sure how I feel about this. They pitched it as a positive because “this is what your schedule will be like as an attending” so I can see where it would be beneficial I suppose.

4. Northwestern - PD is absolutely fabulous, culture seems great and Chicago is a super fun city. Downside is it is more expensive and a little congested/not always the easiest to get around. Traditional schedule scares me if we are being honest, however the residents seem to enjoy it?? Faculty said they see plenty of diversity in patient population but this is also something I am still wary about as I have heard UIC is known for being a “safety-net” hospital for patients who can’t afford NW.

5. Mayo - hands down best schedule, residents seem to be treated like royalty (lol). Downside is Rochester but I think I could handle it for three years. Also worried I won’t see enough “bread-and-butter” or that the training won’t be rigorous enough to allow me to reach my full potential. However I don’t know how my body/mind are going to respond to more difficult schedules, so “better” training at other places may be a moot point if it leads me to burn out…

6. U Washington (seattle)
7. Yale
8. U Chicago
9. John’s Hopkins (Osler) - super nice people but the schedule is a hard NO so I doubt I will rank.

pretty easy to guess what your number one is. lol. you don't even have to say

My career goal is either Cardiology or Hematology/Oncology fellowship. The most important thing to me is quality clinical training, but most of all the places that will get me there (so likely prestige). I like the Northeast and applied mostly East Coast.

1.) University of Massachussets
2.) University of Cincinnati
3.) Virginia Commonwealth University
4.) University of Connecticuit
5.) University of Buffalo
6.) Albert Einstein (Philly)
7.) Virginia Tech
8.) Lehigh Valley
9.) Greenwich/Yale

Any suggestions? Mainly focused on the top 4

My career goal is either Cardiology or Hematology/Oncology fellowship. The most important thing to me is quality clinical training, but most of all the places that will get me there (so likely prestige). I like the Northeast and applied mostly East Coast.

7.) Virginia Tech
8.) Lehigh Valley
9.) Greenwich/Yale

I dont know much about the east coast schools, but assuming your top choices are pretty similar prestige-wise, how do they rank according to culture, location, and schedule? Which ones have fellowship lists you are more impressed by ? Are there certain mentors at the programs who you would like to work with? Those are some of the questions I’d ask myself, most are common sense but it’s as helpful as i can be lol. Seems like you’ve got some great opportunities !!

7.) Virginia Tech
8.) Lehigh Valley
9.) Greenwich/Yale

I might be inclined to put Cincinnati at the top of the list

I might be inclined to put Cincinnati at the top of the list
I just had my interview with them and I fell in love. I am ranking them first, and I appreciate your affirmations that this was the right decision. I really liked the PD and the program!

• Love

7.) Virginia Tech
8.) Lehigh Valley
9.) Greenwich/Yale

congrats on the strong list. I (personally) would rank Cinci, Mass, Buff, VCW, VirTech,Connecticut, Lehigh, Greenwhich, Einstein

Edit: excluding the fact that I am closer to WV than the rest. I am assuming I don't have the geographical ties because that doesnt apply to you

Trying to do hopsitalist medicine but potentially pursue a pulm/crit fellowship. Need help choosing my top 3. The rest of my rank list is pretty much set.

UC Davis vs LAC-USC vs UCLA Oliveview

Hello all, would certainly appreciate people's input! Specifically trying to decided between my top 2 being USC and Utah. Interested probably in PCCM for fellowship but potentially hospitalist or cardiology. I believe I would like living is SLC more than LA, but am drawn to the patient population at USC and am having a hard time determining how different the career prospects would be between the two. Thank you!

Trying to do hopsitalist medicine but potentially pursue a pulm/crit fellowship. Need help choosing my top 3. The rest of my rank list is pretty much set.

UC Davis vs LAC-USC vs UCLA Oliveview
Personally I would rank:
1. LAC-USC (great match results in the past)
2. UC Davis
3. UCLA Oliveview

They are all great programs. I guess it would depend on how you like the culture, if you could be okay with a county program (USC and Olive-view) and if you could imagine living in downtown LA vs Sacramento vs Sylmar (in the Valley).

Hello all, would certainly appreciate people's input! Specifically trying to decided between my top 2 being USC and Utah. Interested probably in PCCM for fellowship but potentially hospitalist or cardiology. I believe I would like living is SLC more than LA, but am drawn to the patient population at USC and am having a hard time determining how different the career prospects would be between the two. Thank you!

Can't go wrong with either program. Career prospects are not going to be different coming from either place. Both are just overall very solid residency programs and won't close any doors as far as fellowship opportunity. I think the main difference as far as fellowship placement is that people who train at USC are more inclined to stay in California post-training to explain why their fellowship placement skews very heavily towards Cali programs. I personally would probably choose USC/LAC over Utah (I drink a lot of boba tea)

Last edited:
Pick Utah for COL and then go wherever you want for fellowship or attending life if you don't do a fellowship.

You can't go wrong with either of them, USC-LAC will just cost you more to live.

Hi all, USMD here with the hopes of attaining a GI fellowship. I'm tied down by location (midwest) and have a family (with a dog) so I'm hoping to go to a location with a relatively low CoL. I have my first 5 programs set in stone, but I need some help with 6-10. Thanks!

1. Wash U
2. Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. Yale
5. Mayo

6. CCF: Cleveland is a solid location for me. Close to home, and cheap CoL. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this IV. The new PD seems very focused on resident feedback. The residents I met only had positive things to say about the program (and addressed some of the fellow-run rumors). Their fellowship match is also really impressive. I was pretty apprehensive about this program going into the IV due to the general dislike found on here and on reddit, but overall, I was impressed.

7. UPMC: PD was engaging and full of energy. Resident-run rounds seem like a great way to become a proficient educator and doctor. All the residents like Pittsburgh and the 4+4 schedule seems great. Modest GI fellowship match.

8. Iowa: Smaller program in a smaller city. GI fellowship was less than impressive, but I think might reflect the lack of interest by the residents rather than the program. Another great PD. Iowa City isn’t a deal breaker for me, pretty close to my family, good CoL.

9. Emory: Residents seemed happy, yet fatigued. The 4-hospital system seems like a lot of travel. I also have concerns about moving to the south (never lived there, unfamiliar with Atlanta). GI Fellowship was ok. Faculty seem to all know each other and were friendly. I liked my IV here, but I didn’t get those warm, fuzzy feelings I’ve gotten from some other programs.

10. Case Western: Another solid midwest program. They seem to have a lot of resources for their residents and their residents seem happy. Interview day didn’t move the needle for me. Seems like a fine program, with a good GI match, but no fuzzy feelings.

11. UChicago: IV day felt rushed. Neither IVer had read my application. Residents seemed extremely tired and had several frustrations with the program. Their call schedule seems intense. Maybe just had a bad IV day, but I'm not sure this is the program for me.

Hi all, USMD here with the hopes of attaining a GI fellowship. I'm tied down by location (midwest) and have a family (with a dog) so I'm hoping to go to a location with a relatively low CoL. I have my first 5 programs set in stone, but I need some help with 6-10. Thanks!

1. Wash U
2. Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. Yale
5. Mayo

6. CCF: Cleveland is a solid location for me. Close to home, and cheap CoL. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this IV. The new PD seems very focused on resident feedback. The residents I met only had positive things to say about the program (and addressed some of the fellow-run rumors). Their fellowship match is also really impressive. I was pretty apprehensive about this program going into the IV due to the general dislike found on here and on reddit, but overall, I was impressed.

7. UPMC: PD was engaging and full of energy. Resident-run rounds seem like a great way to become a proficient educator and doctor. All the residents like Pittsburgh and the 4+4 schedule seems great. Modest GI fellowship match.

8. Iowa: Smaller program in a smaller city. GI fellowship was less than impressive, but I think might reflect the lack of interest by the residents rather than the program. Another great PD. Iowa City isn’t a deal breaker for me, pretty close to my family, good CoL.

9. Emory: Residents seemed happy, yet fatigued. The 4-hospital system seems like a lot of travel. I also have concerns about moving to the south (never lived there, unfamiliar with Atlanta). GI Fellowship was ok. Faculty seem to all know each other and were friendly. I liked my IV here, but I didn’t get those warm, fuzzy feelings I’ve gotten from some other programs.

10. Case Western: Another solid midwest program. They seem to have a lot of resources for their residents and their residents seem happy. Interview day didn’t move the needle for me. Seems like a fine program, with a good GI match, but no fuzzy feelings.

11. UChicago: IV day felt rushed. Neither IVer had read my application. Residents seemed extremely tired and had several frustrations with the program. Their call schedule seems intense. Maybe just had a bad IV day, but I'm not sure this is the program for me.
Given your top 5, this is unlikely to be an issue (also note that Chicago doesn't exactly have low COL in an area where you'd want to live)...but, since you asked, for me:
Chicago
Pitt
Iowa
Emory
CCF/Case

Those are largely based on my own (remote) prior experience and geographical biases, neither of which are yours.

If you were going to go strictly on "program strength" (whatever that means):
Chicago/Emory
Pitt/CCF
Iowa/Case

As you can see, your order and those 2 don't match at all. So if I were you, I'd stick with what you've got (which looks good based on your priorities and experience) and let the rest of us go pound sand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1. Wash U
2. Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. Yale
5. Mayo

Hey! i am looking at some of the same schools in your top 5 (minus washU). Would you mind giving me insight into how you ranked them? No worries if it is personal/you dont feel comfortable sharing! Im just struggling to really get a good scope of all the programs

hi everyone :) USMD struggling with my ROL- priorities are cardiology fellowship, fun city, good culture and QOL.

1. ucsf
2. mgh
3. nyp-cornell
4. bidmc
5. mount sinai
6. duke
7. ut southwestern
8. yale
9. jhh osler
10. michigan
11. nyu

Am I making a huge mistake putting some of the "T10" progs lower in lieu of the others? really did not like the vibe at some of these places like osler

any advice appreciated

hi everyone :) USMD struggling with my ROL- priorities are cardiology fellowship, fun city, good culture and QOL.

1. ucsf
2. mgh
3. nyp-cornell
4. bidmc
5. mount sinai
6. duke
7. ut southwestern
8. yale
9. jhh osler
10. michigan
11. nyu

Am I making a huge mistake putting some of the "T10" progs lower in lieu of the others? really did not like the vibe at some of these places like osler

any advice appreciated
My take is that you are absolutely not making a mistake! I interviewed at jhh too and it scared me away, lol. Your list of choices looks great - it is SO important to be at a program where you can maintain some semblance of a personal life or atleast make it through without being drained of all passion for medicine and life. If your top 5-6 programs meet that qualification, then you can start comparing based on what u value. But imo culture/quality of life/vibes should ALWAYS be #1

• Care

1. ucsf
2. mgh
3. nyp-cornell
4. bidmc
5. mount sinai
6. duke
7. ut southwestern
8. yale
9. jhh osler
10. michigan
11. nyu

any advice appreciated

Why put Michigan so low? I agree that Ann Arbor isn't the most 'fun' city, but I think they more than make up for it as far as cards match/culture/QOL goes. IMO, Ann Arbor is probably a better city than New Haven, and the call schedules at Duke and UTSW are much more intense than at Michigan. The rest of your top 5 are definitely reasonable though.

Most likely interested in HemOnc (GI second most likely). Value location pretty highly as well (city life).
Would appreciate help with my list below!

1. Baylor
2. Georgetown
3. Cedars-Sinai
4. Hopkins-Bayview
5. USF
6. GW
7. Mt Sinai - Beth Israel
8. VCU
9. Maryland
10. UAB
11. Tulane
12. Wake Forest
13. UF
14. UCLA - Olive View
15. Scripps Green
I am debating whether or not to rank VCU higher than UMass or UConn... any idea how it compares to those 2 programs prestige wise and just overall? I am also interested in Heme/Onc or Cardiology

I am debating whether or not to rank VCU higher than UMass or UConn... any idea how it compares to those 2 programs prestige wise and just overall? I am also interested in Heme/Onc or Cardiology
UMass
VCU
UConn

that's how I would rank them on the attributes you mention

My take is that you are absolutely not making a mistake! I interviewed at jhh too and it scared me away, lol. Your list of choices looks great - it is SO important to be at a program where you can maintain some semblance of a personal life or atleast make it through without being drained of all passion for medicine and life. If your top 5-6 programs meet that qualification, then you can start comparing based on what u value. But imo culture/quality of life/vibes should ALWAYS be #1
thank you so much, definitely the affirmation I needed, have been driving myself nuts thinking about this stuff. I agree happiness and fit and culture should be #1. appreciate your response!

• Care
Why put Michigan so low? I agree that Ann Arbor isn't the most 'fun' city, but I think they more than make up for it as far as cards match/culture/QOL goes. IMO, Ann Arbor is probably a better city than New Haven, and the call schedules at Duke and UTSW are much more intense than at Michigan. The rest of your top 5 are definitely reasonable though.
you raise good points for sure, the culture at Michigan definitely seems very positive... I guess it's a combination of things, including my SO and I not knowing anyone there whereas we have some friends/fam in other places. The call schedule is definitely worse at some of the places you mentioned. Thanks for your response!

you raise good points for sure, the culture at Michigan definitely seems very positive... I guess it's a combination of things, including my SO and I not knowing anyone there whereas we have some friends/fam in other places. The call schedule is definitely worse at some of the places you mentioned. Thanks for your response!

Definitely makes sense. Residency is obviously gonna be intense no matter where you go so it's pretty important to have a support network nearby, and Ann Arbor isn't the biggest of cities, lol.

Hey everyone! Thanks for starting this thread. Also looking for advice on ranking- I feel very humbled to have some awesome opportunities but fear I haven’t learned enough about the programs from just the IV day/websites. Any insight is greatly appreciated:)
For context, I am entering IM residency open-minded but am interested in pursuing hospitalist work at an academic center with a large chunk of my schedule allocated to MedEd. Similar to many other applicants, I am looking for that perfect mix of rigorous training yet a *manageable* schedule. I am a hard worker and want to learn as much as I can in residency, but I want this to be at the expense of my mental health as minimal as possible. I go to a mid-tier med school and am used to being around people who are very kind and supportive. Here is my current list along with some remarks for my top choices:

1. Vandy - kicka*s training, especially with the 2 week specialty rotations. Schedule seems a little rough but atleast it’s X+ X+ Y (2 inpatient + 2 inpatient + 2 outpatient). Location is awesome with regard to food scene/things to do however I am not too hip about being in a red state. Seems like they see a lot of super sick patients and “zebra” pathology but also plenty of bread-and-butter through the VA. Nashville isn’t outrageously expensive. The program director is so, SO nice and the residents seem to get along really well.

2. Stanford - Hands down the best IV day I’ve had. Faculty, residents, administration are all just bursting with pride for their program. Residents are some of the most brilliant and impressive humans yet they are so humble and welcoming. Culture just seems fantastic. Schedule is still transitioning a bit from being difficult to more manageable - apparently my class would be the first to only have 1 inpatient rotation with overnight call. Intern cap (9) seems a little high to me but maybe that’s also changing. Opportunities for MedEd are amazing (having Dr. Verghese as a mentor would be insane!) and they really seem to value wellness - each resident gets a licensed therapist free of charge. A couple residents told me they attend therapy sessions weekly. Major, major plus is the beautiful Palo Alto scenery and weather. Downside for sure is the cost of living and it would be difficult for my support system to travel to see me. You do get a higher salary and housing stipend.

3. Michigan - For being an academic center, they have super robust ambulatory opportunities. The residents are SO nice and fun - we played trivia during the Happy Hour which was the best one I’ve attended yet. Obviously the training is stellar and there are tons of MedEd/research opportunities. It is very competitive for staff to be able to work on the teaching services which just speaks to how much the institution values the education of their trainees. Ann Arbor is super affordable and you get a great salary. Also seems to be a pretty city with lots to do yet easy to get around. Schedule is an interesting mix of inpatient with half days of clinic each week- not sure how I feel about this. They pitched it as a positive because “this is what your schedule will be like as an attending” so I can see where it would be beneficial I suppose.

4. Northwestern - PD is absolutely fabulous, culture seems great and Chicago is a super fun city. Downside is it is more expensive and a little congested/not always the easiest to get around. Traditional schedule scares me if we are being honest, however the residents seem to enjoy it?? Faculty said they see plenty of diversity in patient population but this is also something I am still wary about as I have heard UIC is known for being a “safety-net” hospital for patients who can’t afford NW.

5. Mayo - hands down best schedule, residents seem to be treated like royalty (lol). Downside is Rochester but I think I could handle it for three years. Also worried I won’t see enough “bread-and-butter” or that the training won’t be rigorous enough to allow me to reach my full potential. However I don’t know how my body/mind are going to respond to more difficult schedules, so “better” training at other places may be a moot point if it leads me to burn out…

7. Yale
8. U Chicago
9. John’s Hopkins (Osler) - super nice people but the schedule is a hard NO so I doubt I will rank.

Hello everyone and happy 2023! Would appreciate some advice/insight re: my post above. Thanks SO much!!!

Hello everyone and happy 2023! Would appreciate some advice/insight re: my post above. Thanks SO much!!!
Not really sure what you want to hear.

It’s a list of Top 20 programs. You interviewed at them, you know what you want from your training and career (at least for now). The only thing that matters is how you feel about them.

• Care

Your list the way you have ranked them is reasonable. Those are all stellar programs

• Care

7. Yale
8. U Chicago
Meh to your #1. With regard to the training, sure, most residents were pretty competent. Don’t be seduced by the administration; they put on a nice display for interview day but are really mostly indifferent to house staff concerns. This is just my opinion but Nashville is a poorly run city — absolutely choked with traffic, too many people, city services simply don’t function (most recent cold snap involved power stations catching fire because of too much demand and blackouts in <5 degree cold. Largely an overrated place that seemed to be trying too hard to be Hopkins. If I were you I’d rank your other programs above it

Last edited:
Meh to your #1. With regard to the training, sure, most residents were pretty competent. Don’t be seduced by the administration; they put on a nice display for interview day but are really mostly indifferent to house staff concerns. This is just my opinion but Nashville is a poorly run city — absolutely choked with traffic, too many people, city services simply don’t function (most recent cold snap involved power stations catching fire because of too much demand and blackouts in <5 degree cold. Largely an overrated place that seemed to be trying too hard to be Hopkins. If I were you I’d rank your other programs above it
Hey thanks so much for the input, I seriously appreciate it! :) If you don’t mind me asking, did you train or work there? No worries if you dont want to disclose that information.

Hey thanks so much for the input, I seriously appreciate it! :) If you don’t mind me asking, did you train or work there? No worries if you dont want to disclose that information.
Yup. An example of institutional support —they weren’t paying VUMC daycare staff enough and couldn’t retain enough staff to maintain teacher/child ratios, so they asked medical center employees to voluntarily withdraw their kids. When we balked, they simply withdrew the non MD medical center employees’ kids.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing the thread, my goal is Hem/Onc fellowship, and would appreciate some advice on my list:

1. Dartmouth
2. Tufts
3. Jefferson
4. Georgetown
5. Utah
6. Cedars-Sinai
7. Rutgers RWJ
8. Temple

Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing the thread, my goal is Hem/Onc fellowship, and would appreciate some advice on my list:

1. Dartmouth
2. Tufts
3. Jefferson
4. Georgetown
5. Utah
6. Cedars-Sinai
7. Rutgers RWJ
8. Temple
That is probably the most balanced "tier" list I've ever seen. I would have a hard time saying any one of those programs is objectively "better" than the rest, or frankly any of the others. So at this point, it's all about how your liked them.

if it were my list (and this was >15 years ago, when I interviewed), I'd put Utah and RWJ much higher in the list and Temple and Cedars at the bottom. But if you liked them this way, I don't think anyone could argue with the list as it is.

Yup. An example of institutional support —they weren’t paying VUMC daycare staff enough and couldn’t retain enough staff to maintain teacher/child ratios, so they asked medical center employees to voluntarily withdraw their kids. When we balked, they simply withdrew the non MD medical center employees’ kids.
Wow, sorry to hear :/ thank u for sharing, and i hope some changes are made in the years to come!!

Status
Not open for further replies.