2007 MCV Central (Part II)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all those who got in.

To those who didn't, good luck. There should be a lot of movement in the next few weeks. In a few days would be a good time to e-mail Dr WC. Dont expect a quick reply as she is going to be inundated with e-mails. By now she should be able to give you something or at least tell you how the waitlist has moved this year.

For those stuck in limbo, dont have a back-up plan, and really want to go to MCV, look at the MCV certificate program. This is the program that I did to get in despite my abysmal undergraduate GPA. It is essentially an SMP (special masters program). You take the same classes as most of the first year medical curriculum through the graduate school (not with medical students). If you have questions on this program either PM me or look up VCU certificate in the post bac forum on SDN. Other options relatively close to MCV include Georgetown SMP (in DC) and EVMS' SMP (norfolk).

As always, good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I got in off the waitlist today at 6:07. I am instate and was waitlisted at MCV last year as well. This is my second medical school acceptance. I will be dropping my EVMS acceptance in favor of MCV. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Having gone through this process twice, I know how painful it can be.

I just got off the waitlist today. Out of state. have two acceptances, don't know which one I will chose. good luck to all. I made no contact(email,phone) other than send my transcripts, I hear a lot of people on this waitlist do that, so I wonder how effective it is or if it just pisses them off

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I also got in as an OOS-er. This is very exciting! Good luck to everyone else.

This sucks. If I don't get in today, chances are I'm not going to get in at all.

Hey folks, I can't believe it but I was accepted too! Got the status update email yesterday. This is my first acceptance and my top choice school. I am an in-state male (asian, if that matters). This is my second application cycle and I'm so happy I won't have to go through a 3rd. I'll be withdrawing from Albany and EVMS pretty soon I think.

Good luck to those of you waiting. I'm wishing the best for all of you.

This sucks. If I don't get in today, chances are I'm not going to get in at all.

Did you email Dr. WC yet? She made me feel like I have a good chance, but I understand how you feel. It's true that most waitlist movement occurs within the week or so after 5/15, but it does seem like there is another period of some movement at the beginning of June most years. Good luck today, but try not give up hope unless Dr. WC gives you bad news.

I sure hope I get an acceptance soon. I'm getting depressed about not knowing what I'm doing next year. I've wanted to be a doctor my entire life, and each day that passes without an acceptance makes me feel worse.

If you are IS that is probably true... Still hope until June 1 but send your amcas out on June 2 if you don't hear.

OOS is different story as posted by nk Dr. WC emailed he/she good news.

IS students have been getting in all month, I know bc I'm here waiting. Based on facebook over a third of the class has committed and now that finals are finished people will get around to taking care of details and the class will finalize.

Take my advice my summers over the last 3 yrs have been ruined waiting on something that wasn't going to happen. I'm actually surprised at the # of IS students that got in this month. It does help that they are special masters students who stayed to do a regular masters. I'm out of money and can't afford to even reapply this yr. Student loans are due this month so I'm off to work.

Did you email Dr. WC yet? She made me feel like I have a good chance, but I understand how you feel. It's true that most waitlist movement occurs within the week or so after 5/15, but it does seem like there is another period of some movement at the beginning of June most years. Good luck today, but try not give up hope unless Dr. WC gives you bad news.

I sure hope I get an acceptance soon. I'm getting depressed about not knowing what I'm doing next year. I've wanted to be a doctor my entire life, and each day that passes without an acceptance makes me feel worse.
Thanks for the info nka. Are we allowed to email Dr. WC? I thought we're not allowed to know where we were on the waitlist?

nka, have u gained acceptance anywhere yet? good luck :luck:

If you are IS that is probably true... Still hope until June 1 but send your amcas out on June 2 if you don't hear.

OOS is different story as posted by nk Dr. WC emailed he/she good news.

IS students have been getting in all month, I know bc I'm here waiting. Based on facebook over a third of the class has committed and now that finals are finished people will get around to taking care of details and the class will finalize.

Take my advice my summers over the last 3 yrs have been ruined waiting on something that wasn't going to happen. I'm actually surprised at the # of IS students that got in this month. It does help that they are special masters students who stayed to do a regular masters. I'm out of money and can't afford to even reapply this yr. Student loans are due this month so I'm off to work.
What do you mean when you say OOS is different story?

Search the posts and read the pages and pages of emails on the topic. The dean also explained this to us at interviews.

OOS list moves very fast bc individuals get into their state schools or ranked med schools and drop mcv. No one is going to pay 41k OOS when they can pay 12K at say unc. If you look at stats mcv is a little cali many students with 35s who could not get into ca schools bc of the extreme competition get into mcv.

As far as IS as you can see by the individuals who posted yesterday many are dropping evms to go to mcv bc it's their first choice. mcv also has a hs program so there are anywhere from 10-20 IS who are starting after graduation from vcu . This drops the spots of IS to about 80 which is equal to OOS. That leaves 40 M and 40 F spots for IS. No one gives up spots and the posts show that they are giving up other IS schools to go to mcv.

Search the posts and read the pages and pages of emails on the topic. The dean also explained this to us at interviews.

OOS list moves very fast bc individuals get into their state schools or ranked med schools and drop mcv. No one is going to pay 41k OOS when they can pay 12K at say unc. If you look at stats mcv is a little cali many students with 35s who could not get into ca schools bc of the extreme competition get into mcv.

As far as IS as you can see by the individuals who posted yesterday many are dropping evms to go to mcv bc it's their first choice. mcv also has a hs program so there are anywhere from 10-20 IS who are starting after graduation from vcu . This drops the spots of IS to about 80 which is equal to OOS. That leaves 40 M and 40 F spots for IS. No one gives up spots and the posts show that they are giving up other IS schools to go to mcv.
well, if your IS, i'm sorry and good luck...but for me, an OOSer, I have re-kindled the fire of hope for this evening's update!

Members don't see this ad :)
As you should, your chances are good if your numbers are high and your interview went well.

Although, I wouldn't hold your breath for tonight unless the dean told you as she did nka that it looks great and you will be updated tonight or very soon.

You could start looking for a place to live if you've been told by the gods to not work on mcats or amcas.

Seems all the IS waitlist acceptances, at least the acceptances recently posted here, are second-year applicants and special masters students.

Unfortunately, I am a first-year applicant.

Thanks for the info nka. Are we allowed to email Dr. WC? I thought we're not allowed to know where we were on the waitlist?

nka, have u gained acceptance anywhere yet? good luck :luck:

No, I dont have any acceptances so far. :( Yeah, you can email Dr. WC...unless she is swamped with emails, she usually responds quickly. I got a response in 5 minutes. She told me she can't promise anything, but she made it sound like I have a good shot at eventually getting in this year. She won't tell you where you are on the waitlist, but she can give you some idea if you have a shot or not. Go for it, and let me know what you find out. Good luck.

Way to go! Great news:thumbup:
Hey folks, I can't believe it but I was accepted too! Got the status update email yesterday. This is my first acceptance and my top choice school. I am an in-state male (asian, if that matters). This is my second application cycle and I'm so happy I won't have to go through a 3rd. I'll be withdrawing from Albany and EVMS pretty soon I think.

Good luck to those of you waiting. I'm wishing the best for all of you.

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of yesterday after 6pm...
MCV is my first choice :love: (OOS)
Good luck to those still waiting, my fingers are crossed for you :luck:

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of yesterday after 6pm...
MCV is my first choice :love: (OOS)
Good luck to those still waiting, my fingers are crossed for you :luck:

Congrats! I hope I get in too...if so, see you there!

As you should, your chances are good if your numbers are high and your interview went well.

Although, I wouldn't hold your breath for tonight unless the dean told you as she did nka that it looks great and you will be updated tonight or very soon.

You could start looking for a place to live if you've been told by the gods to not work on mcats or amcas.
Should I email Dr. WC then to ask about my OOS chances of getting off the waitlist? I always hesitate calling/emailing VCU b/c I don't wanna bug them if their busy.

No, I dont have any acceptances so far. :( Yeah, you can email Dr. WC...unless she is swamped with emails, she usually responds quickly. I got a response in 5 minutes. She told me she can't promise anything, but she made it sound like I have a good shot at eventually getting in this year. She won't tell you where you are on the waitlist, but she can give you some idea if you have a shot or not. Go for it, and let me know what you find out. Good luck.
What's her email adress?

Should I email Dr. WC then to ask about my OOS chances of getting off the waitlist? I always hesitate calling/emailing VCU b/c I don't wanna bug them if their busy.

I just e-mailed Dr. W-C and all she sent back to me was a one line sentence saying she'll 'put a note next to my name saying that I am still interested.' Didn't give me any info on my chances etc.

Hey guys! I got exciting news today! I emailed Dr.WC and she emailed me back 15 min later telling me I was at the top of the waitlist and would get an acceptance either today or tomorrow. First soon-to-be-acceptance! WOOHOO! (BTW, I am instate) Don't lose hope for those of you who are still waiting! I thought I wouldn't get in this year - I was on 3 waitlists- UVA, VCU and EVMS. Good luck to everyone!

Email Dr. WC..the office wont tell you anything if you call, but she is very friendly about emails.

what does "we are moving closer to your position on the waitlist" mean? anybody has any idea? it sounds positive, but it is followed by "it may be several weeks before we can see the effects of the movement."

well, that was from an email response from Dr. WC

what does "we are moving closer to your position on the waitlist" mean? anybody has any idea? it sounds positive, but it is followed by "it may be several weeks before we can see the effects of the movement."

well, that was from an email response from Dr. WC

I got a "I can't make any promises, but we are much closer than before." I finally emailed her again to clarify on when I might get accepted if I am, and she said 4-6 weeks. I would reccommend emailing again to clarify a bit.

I got a "I can't make any promises, but we are much closer than before." I finally emailed her again to clarify on when I might get accepted if I am, and she said 4-6 weeks. I would reccommend emailing again to clarify a bit.

Thanks for the information. I am going to give her a break and check in again some time next week. Good luck to all those are waiting.

Hey guys! I got exciting news today! I emailed Dr.WC and she emailed me back 15 min later telling me I was at the top of the waitlist and would get an acceptance either today or tomorrow. First soon-to-be-acceptance! WOOHOO! (BTW, I am instate) Don't lose hope for those of you who are still waiting! I thought I wouldn't get in this year - I was on 3 waitlists- UVA, VCU and EVMS. Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations, Shar! You will be my classmate - just got myself!! :thumbup:

Hmmm... emailed her, no response. I hope that's not indicative of anything. :(

I'm in the same boat, prznpremed. I emailed her last night and have yet to get a response. :eek:

Congrats to all who've gotten in!

yep i'm there with you guys....emailed her yesterday afternoon still yet reply....i think it's actually sorta rude, seeing as she apparently gets back to some people in 15 minutes.....a simple "sorry you have no chance" would be a lot better than just ignoring an applicant......pretty unprofessional if u ask me:thumbdown:

Congrats to everyone who got in-- there's a facebook group already for our class http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2325321079

Good luck to those still on the waitlist-- hang in there and don't lose hope too early. I've heard of people getting in a week before classes start. Anything can happen.

yep i'm there with you guys....emailed her yesterday afternoon still yet reply....i think it's actually sorta rude, seeing as she apparently gets back to some people in 15 minutes.....a simple "sorry you have no chance" would be a lot better than just ignoring an applicant......pretty unprofessional if u ask me:thumbdown:

Ya know, if she actually told you "Sorry SethyG you have no chance" I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Ya know, if she actually told you "Sorry SethyG you have no chance" I think you'd be singing a different tune.

I'd actually prefer to hear that so I can begin making other plans...

The tune might be different, but it wouldn't be accompanied by a feeling of impotent frustration. Not being able to make any decisions is frustrating and often costly. Not only that, but there are people besides those of us waiting (ie. the students I tutor, my landlord, etc.) who need to make plans as well.

Your posts are usually helpful and supportive, Instatewaiter, but not this time. Congrats on finishing your first year, though.

Your posts are usually helpful and supportive, Instatewaiter, but not this time. Congrats on finishing your first year, though.

What do you mean??? He speaks the truth. I'm sure Seth would feel even more ****ty than he does now if he found out he was going to be rejected.

What do you mean??? He speaks the truth. I'm sure Seth would feel even more ****ty than he does now if he found out he was going to be rejected.

How do you know he isn't holding other acceptances? If you are holding an acceptance at another school and have no chance getting off the waitlist at VCU, you would rather know in May so you could make plans than find out a moot point in July and have to scramble. This is the truth.

Getting rejected from a medical school is never comforting, and Sethy wasn't saying it is. But knowing you have no chance and being able to move on, make plans, and celebrate your successes will always be more comforting than sitting in limbo for months while message board posters make assumptions from their own perspectives.

I'd actually prefer to hear that so I can begin making other plans...

+2

I'd like to know also...There's a big difference between you might get in because you are number 30 on the list, and you are number 150 on the list so this is probably not your year. One way you can make contingency plans the other you can move on with your life for the next year.

+4

So if you do not get an answer to an email request for your rank on the waitlist we are assuming that is not a good thing right? Or rather that is a bad thing.
This is definitely not fun...

Yeah, so it's been a whole day since I sent my email, am I paranoid or just that low on the list ? :confused:

will somebody please tell me what Dr. WC's email is?

I don't know exactly how the system works but here are my thoughts. If she doesn't reply immediately I don't think it means you are at the bottom. It means you are not at the very top of the list (like top 3-5 or so). She's not going to give any false hope unless she is absolutely positive there is already a space for you and that you are going to get off either that day or in the next few days. She emailed me back quickly, and I got off that day, so she must have been processing the acceptance offers for that day and noticed my name. Don't worry if she doesn't email you back the same day, I'm sure she is getting bombarded with emails. There is still hope! Don't give up! Good luck everyone!

does ne one know if updates were given yesterday or if they will be given today? I'm gonna email Dr. WC next week if I'm not accepted today, monday, or tuesday.

Thanx

I had [email protected]. However, I haven't had a response yet and I emailed her Wednesday night, so I'm wondering if that's the right one or if it went through....or if I'm just at the bottom of the waitlist!

Thats the right email...and she's not only responding if you will get in right away, because she sounds confident I will get in, but said it might take as much as 4-6 weeks for me to get the offer (OOS waitlist). And she emailed me back within a few minutes each time I emailed her. She might not be responding quickly to people who are at the bottom or borderline areas, I don't know.

Thats the right email...and she's not only responding if you will get in right away, because she sounds confident I will get in, but said it might take as much as 4-6 weeks for me to get the offer (OOS waitlist). And she emailed me back within a few minutes each time I emailed her. She might not be responding quickly to people who are at the bottom or borderline areas, I don't know.

I received a similar email, nka, and I don't know if she can really predict an accurate timeframe like that. If she can, I hope she gave a very conservative timeframe.

Also, I have a hard time believe she only replys to emails based on the sender's placement on the waitlist. Probably just more luck of the draw--you catch her sitting down, you catch her not.