2007 Official Decision Thread (i.e. where are you going?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be 32 by the time I'm out of school! And the job market in academia is AWFUL. :scared:

Anyone else experience anything even remotely like this?? :scared: Should I take my fear as a sign that this isn't the right path or is it normal to be scared to commit to 7 years of grad school??

If I may interject, I have to say that the job market for an academic position in psychology is not that awful. It's competitive - absolutely! But there has been an huge increase in the number of open asst professor positions in the last couple of years, and many speculate that it will continue to be so for a while. I'm a current postdoc, and (therefore) have been monitoring these things pretty carefully! I feel very optimistic about a career in this field.

Also, it's not uncommon for someone to finish grad school in their early 30s. You'll be surprised to see that you fall right in the middle - no need to fear. I'm in my early 30s and still feel young and energetic! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Ella!!!!

I still have dreams about having to take the GRE again! It is so fantastic to wake up and remember that I will never have to study geometry again!

whoops, missed this one...lol... thanks Amy :D

Ermm.. I'm having problems with commitment, too.. The difference, though, is that I only have one offer. It's from a good program - one of my top choices going into the process - with what looks like a good mentoring situation and good funding, in a nice city with tremendous local resources, given my research interests. I've already started looking at housing options in the area, explored all the local recreation opportunities, and almost bought one of the 'insider guides' to the city. :rolleyes: I've been in touch with my POI almost every day. :)

My problem? I'm too chicken to call and accept. :eek: I've come close to calling a few times and chickened out. This is what I've wanted for so long and I've worked SO hard for it for so long and now that it's there for the taking, I'm too scared to do it. What if I go there and don't like the program or the city or my research area? I'm scared to leave my job, my home, my family, my health insurance, my retirement plan.. I'll be 32 by the time I'm out of school! And the job market in academia is AWFUL. :scared:

Anyone else experience anything even remotely like this?? :scared: Should I take my fear as a sign that this isn't the right path or is it normal to be scared to commit to 7 years of grad school??

Congrats on your acceptance! Forgive me if this sounds a bit harsh. Believe me--this is not my intent.

My main concern is the results of your waiting. It sounds like from this post that you have decided that you want to go here if you are taking such steps; however, you are just getting cold feet. But I really don't think it is fair for the school or those on the wait list to lead people on. I know this was dicussed in another form, and I fully support waiting until you are a 100% sure that you want to go a school. But please be kind to those of us on wait lists. We rather know one way or another at this point if we have a chance in the program or not. I've been a wait list for 4 weeks now, and I am tired of this stress. If you have committed this much to the application process, this program, and talking with your PoI everyday, then it sounds like you want to go here. I'm sure you thought about the whole age thing prior to applying. You made that decision then, so stick with it.

I know this is hard for you to commit, but please think of how waiting does impact others. Thanks. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance! Forgive me if this sounds a bit harsh. Believe me--this is not my intent.

My main concern is the results of your waiting. It sounds like from this post that you have decided that you want to go here if you are taking such steps; however, you are just getting cold feet. But I really don't think it is fair for the school or those on the wait list to lead people on. I know this was dicussed in another form, and I fully support waiting until you are a 100% sure that you want to go a school. But please be kind to those of us on wait lists. We rather know one way or another at this point if we have a chance in the program or not. I've been a wait list for 4 weeks now, and I am tired of this stress. If you have committed this much to the application process, this program, and talking with your PoI everyday, then it sounds like you want to go here. I'm sure you thought about the whole age thing prior to applying. You made that decision then, so stick with it.

I know this is hard for you to commit, but please think of how waiting does impact others. Thanks. :luck:

No, I hear you. And you're right - our decisions do affect others. I appreciate your input - thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

OK, I finally made a decision! I'm not going to post the specific program - it's very small, plus I'm and idiot and used my first name for my screen name:rolleyes:

I picked the program in the location my husband was less thrilled about. We had a long talk and agreed that this program will give me the most options after I graduate, meaning we have a better chance of settling permanently in an area he really likes. So he's OK with it, although I'm still expecting to be hassled quit a bit when it's 20 below...

It's slowly starting to sink in that I am actually going to graduate school, and I'm very excited!

Thanks a lot for everyone’s support! This is my first "online community" experience, and it has been absolutely wonderful!

i just accepted a couple of minutes ago - I'll be going to the university of wisconsin-madison next year for clinical psych. holler if you see me!

Great decision!

By the way, I never thanked you since it was your blog, upon which I stumbled, in its first form (I won't reveal that blog since you go by a code name here) which lead me to SDN. I realized you must be the same person when I saw some of your posts on each. See your blog accomplished good things. So thanks and good luck!

"On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin, Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight..." - One of the great college fight songs. Only topped by Michigan, Ohio State, and the top one...Notre Dame (Yes, Irish, be proud!) But Wisconsin is a much better choice than the other school you were considering. If you think you made the wrong decision, watch the old movie Breaking Away and you will know that you chose correctly.

Congrats, even though that may hurt your friendship with Misskatie. GO BADGERS

Ha! Very true... I actually grew up in Milwaukee and have 1238748327 friends who attend Madison, but since my family is from Michigan (what up, U.P.) I've been taught to dislike the Badgers. Rather strongly.

But! It's a great school, fabulous program. Much more research-oriented than I would like, but fabulous all the same. My favorite undergrad professor is a product of Madison, all the way from undergad to her PhD. Congratulations to you, tkj!

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted today! Good luck everyone! I declined two offers (Univ of Miss and Univ of Louisville).

i just accepted a couple of minutes ago - I'll be going to the university of wisconsin-madison next year for clinical psych. holler if you see me!

Congrats!

I spend time in Wisconsin every summer (as I fell in love with a little town in the eastern part of it called West Bend). It's a beautiful state. However, the only part of Madison I've seen is the ghetto, which I happened to get lost in one year while driving from Nebraska to Wisconsin with the stomach flu. I stopped to throw up in a restroom at a convenience store, and the clerk had a peg leg and was drunk out of his mind. But I hear the other parts of the city are very nice! :laugh:

Congrats!
...I happened to get lost in one year while driving from Nebraska to Wisconsin with the stomach flu. I stopped to throw up in a restroom at a convenience store,

The flu? Sounds to me like you were pregnant! Does tkj and the rest of us really need to hear this?

and the clerk had a peg leg and was drunk out of his mind. But I hear the other parts of the city are very nice! :laugh:

Wasn't this a classic episode of Twin Peaks? A good dose of Haldol should snap you back to the planet earth!:laugh:

I got into Florida! YAY! It was 1st choice, and I didn't really even expect an interview

Congrats!

As for 20 below....ouch! I get cold when it gets in the 50's down here!

-t

Yeah - the temp stayed below zero for 22 days straight at one point this year. And we're moving from the city with, arguably, the best weather in the country. It's going to be interesting...

But at least we can get a dog and will have chance of affording a house!

The flu? Sounds to me like you were pregnant! Does tkj and the rest of us really need to hear this?

Oh hush, you turn everything into something inappropriate. That's how I knew you played trombone. :laugh:

Wasn't this a classic episode of Twin Peaks? A good dose of Haldol should snap you back to the planet earth!:laugh:

I will take you to Madison if I have to, to prove that I'm telling the truth. FIELD TRIP! (I could use the Haldol though, thanks!)

woo hoo! we'll be neighbors, well, sort of at any rate. :D

congrats.

Oh hush, you turn everything into something inappropriate. That's how I knew you played trombone. :laugh:

I will take you to Madison if I have to, to prove that I'm telling the truth. FIELD TRIP! (I could use the Haldol though, thanks!)

:laugh: In his defense, I was diagnosed with the flu by two different doctors before another two different doctors told me I was pregnant approximately two weeks later. Magic number two, eh? hehe, speaking of two's, another doc tried to tell me I was having twins. Silly ****.

:laugh: In his defense, I was diagnosed with the flu by two different doctors before another two different doctors told me I was pregnant approximately two weeks later. Magic number two, eh? hehe, speaking of two's, another doc tried to tell me I was having twins. Silly ****.

I'm laughing so hard that you said "****" on here. One day I'll mature, I swear!

When I was 15 my doctor was convinced I was pregnant. I told her it was a medical impossibility and she still made me pee in the stupid cup.

Maybe you WERE going to have twins but the other one calcified early on and you'll see it on an x-ray in 30 years, like on Nip/Tuck.

I'm laughing so hard that you said "****" on here. One day I'll mature, I swear!

When I was 15 my doctor was convinced I was pregnant. I told her it was a medical impossibility and she still made me pee in the stupid cup.

Maybe you WERE going to have twins but the other one calcified early on and you'll see it on an x-ray in 30 years, like on Nip/Tuck.

:laugh: Yeah, I really need to stop using that word, along with a few others.

And, I had the same thing happen to me a few times with some of my doctors when I was much younger. Hell, one admitted me to the frakkin' MATERNITY WARD because she was convinced that I was pregnant, even though I, too, told her it was a medical impossibility and on top of that, every damned test they did came back negative. You'd think that would be sufficient, but apparently not. :rolleyes:

What did Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey ever do that was inappropriate? Your sample population must not generalize to the general population.

An SDNer field trip would be pretty cool. We could all travel around the country to famous psychology places and other places where we all had a bizaare experience. Tkj would be in charge of computer navigation. Irish would be in charge of attendance and all documentation. Paramour and RayneeDeigh would be the two kids who have to keep being separated for playing practical jokes on the driver. Therapist4achange will be in charge of funding along with that Colorado lawyer woman who we all may have to convince to flip the bill for us. Sorg would be the driver. And, I would be the tour guide but I may have to be somewhat revisionist to make things more interesting (we would be bored stiff if we stuck to teh textbooks): "Here we have the place where Little Albert spent his life in a cage, and here he still is with his wife and kids - you never thought it all happened here in the White House and that Albert was code for George Bush. Jr.! Here we have the first American Psychology lab - you all thought it was James' lab at Harvard but I tell you all it is right here in this Chicago Hooters. Here we have the place where Freud gave his American lectures - no it was not really Clark University - it was here on the set of Saturday Night Live. And here we have the informed consent forms used by Milgram, Zimbardo, and Zajonce - no, right over here as you all pass through the famous PT Barnum "Egress"!

:laugh: RayneeDeigh: When I was 15 my doctor was convinced I was pregnant. I told her it was a medical impossibility and she still made me pee in the stupid cup.
Paramour: In his defense, I was diagnosed with the flu by two different doctors before another two different doctors told me I was pregnant approximately two weeks later. Magic number two, eh? hehe, speaking of two's, another doc tried to tell me I was having twins. Silly ****.

See RayneeDeigh, your pregnancy is possible. And you remember the last time a woman gave birth to a baby with no coitus! Well, he grew up to be much more influential than a clinical psychologist. Could you imagine if a major world religion resulted from your trip through Wisconsin?

Congratulations!!:love: :clap: :clap:

do not :barf: like Raynee

HOPE YOU LIKE CHEESE =)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

Here we have the place where Little Albert spent his life in a cage, and here he still is with his wife and kids - you never thought it all happened here in the White House and that Albert was code for George Bush. Jr.! Here we have the first American Psychology lab - you all thought it was James' lab at Harvard but I tell you all it is right here in this Chicago Hooters. Here we have the place where Freud gave his American lectures - no it was not really Clark University - it was here on the set of Saturday Night Live. And here we have the informed consent forms used by Milgram, Zimbardo, and Zajonce - no, right over here as you all pass through the famous PT Barnum "Egress"!

HAHAHA! Laughing out loud in the lab and people are looking at me funny. :laugh:

What did Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey ever do that was inappropriate? Your sample population must not generalize to the general population.

Oh I hear they were QUITE the freaks.

An SDNer field trip would be pretty cool. We could all travel around the country to famous psychology places and other places where we all had a bizaare experience. Tkj would be in charge of computer navigation. Irish would be in charge of attendance and all documentation. Paramour and RayneeDeigh would be the two kids who have to keep being separated for playing practical jokes on the driver. Therapist4achange will be in charge of funding along with that Colorado lawyer woman who we all may have to convince to flip the bill for us. Sorg would be the driver. And, I would be the tour guide but I may have to be somewhat revisionist to make things more interesting (we would be bored stiff if we stuck to teh textbooks): "Here we have the place where Little Albert spent his life in a cage, and here he still is with his wife and kids - you never thought it all happened here in the White House and that Albert was code for George Bush. Jr.! Here we have the first American Psychology lab - you all thought it was James' lab at Harvard but I tell you all it is right here in this Chicago Hooters. Here we have the place where Freud gave his American lectures - no it was not really Clark University - it was here on the set of Saturday Night Live. And here we have the informed consent forms used by Milgram, Zimbardo, and Zajonce - no, right over here as you all pass through the famous PT Barnum "Egress"!

That's hilarious. This field trip is sounding better and better!

I wonder what a Milgram consent form would look like. "Do not be alarmed if we ask you to harm many other people. It's all in the name of research!"

See RayneeDeigh, your pregnancy is possible. And you remember the last time a woman gave birth to a baby with no coitus! Well, he grew up to be much more influential than a clinical psychologist. Could you imagine if a major world religion resulted from your trip through Wisconsin?

HAHA. You said "coitus" *giggles*

I'm not really sure how the world would feel about a witch giving birth to the second Jesus. But, I'm going back to Wisconsin this summer and I tend to get sick everytime I'm there so I'll try harder this time!

thanks Ella;) I didn't realize that there was a vomiting icon until now...oh what a sheltered life I've led

:wow:
HOLY CRAP. Why didn't I notice that little "more" button before?

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities!

Ermmm ... I mean, the University of Oregon! Now ... do I drive across the country, or drug the cats and fly? :D How far is it, anyway, from Atlanta to Eugene?
(and will there be enough city for me? and will I find a good place to live? and can I start over in a whole new place all by myself? and ... and ... and ... you'd think I'd be studying anxiety!)
---
On another note - does anyone have some good starting text for an acceptance e-mail? I suppose I should let my POI know, too!

How far is it, anyway, from Atlanta to Eugene?

The good news is that you don't live in the Florida Keys...the bad news, Atlanta is still pretty freaking far away from Eugene!

:laugh:

On another note - does anyone have some good starting text for an acceptance e-mail? I suppose I should let my POI know, too!

Dear Dr. XXXXXXXX.

I am writing to inform you that you will have the pleasure of my presence for the next 4-6 years. I thought long and hard about letting someone like yourself have such access to a clearly awesome person like me. I believe in the coming years you will realize that working with me will be the highlight of your career. Just an FYI....when I say, "We"...I really just mean me, but i'm just trying to be nice...that is part of what makes me so awesome. Don't worry though, not only do you get to spend time with me, but you'l also get to spend countless hours in the lab with my cat! Anyhow, I need to get going, my awesomeness has forced me to seek a larger building, where I can spread my awesomeness around. Good day.

-Your Name

Yes...i'm bored!

-t

ps. Of course...that letter could also be sent from your POI to you. :laugh:

Sorg would be the driver.

Cool, maybe my cat can fill in for me sometimes:

toonces2.jpg

it's official. penn state adult clinical for fall '07. let me know if you (or anyone you know) are also going there.

I finally know where I'm going: SUNY-Buffalo for their combined counseling/school psych PhD program. If anyone else is going to Buffalo or is from Buffalo and knows the area, please PM!

it's official. penn state adult clinical for fall '07. let me know if you (or anyone you know) are also going there.

I finally know where I'm going: SUNY-Buffalo for their combined counseling/school psych PhD program. If anyone else is going to Buffalo or is from Buffalo and knows the area, please PM!

Congrats to you both! How exciting to have everything done and over with!

And isn't it cool that we're already able to connect with our new classmates? :)

toonces2.jpg

Toonces Rocks! :D But Sorg, How many people here would know or remember that classic Saturday Night Live skit? - Of course with DVD collections and internet anything can be accessed.

Fortunately, I know what happened whenever Toonces got a hold of the wheel (I will keep this knowledge under wraps - but remember his mouth going wide open:laugh: ). Of course, we could make a deal and have the others sign life insurance policies with us as the beneficiaries. That would be more than enough to pay for graduate school and live comfortably forever after. Oh, I guess I am starting to sound too much like one of RayneeDeigh's plots to get rid of all her competition to further her own career.

"Toonces, the driving cat. The cat who could drive a car. He drives around, all over the town. Toonces the driving cat!" Those are the lyrics I seem to remember.

Hello All!
I will be going to Northern Illinois University in the fall. I really appreciate all the help and support I have recieved from this thread! Congrats and good luck to everyone!

Toonces Rocks! :D But Sorg, How many people here would know or remember that classic Saturday Night Live skit?...quote]

I TOTALLY remember Toonces! Hahahaa. I haven't thought about it in forever. Hahaaaa..

Toonces Rocks! :D But Sorg, How many people here would know or remember that classic Saturday Night Live skit? - Of course with DVD collections and internet anything can be accessed.

I totally remember this skit! I think you're lyrics are right, too!

You're a good test-taker, aren't you? :cool: :rolleyes: :) You have a head for facts and trivia!

toonces2.jpg

Yeah, you can find the cartoons on YouTube. They have the original one with Steve Martin and the other ones that include Spunky. Ah, I love SNL.

I totally remember this skit! I think you're lyrics are right, too!

You're a good test-taker, aren't you? :cool: :rolleyes: :) You have a head for facts and trivia!

It depends on the test but usually I can bring myself to decide on my answers because too many alternatives come to my mind. I over analyze questions too the point that they no longer make sense because I think of things which the test writers were not considering but may often be an alternative answer.

There is a famous Sherlock Holmes story in which Watson says something to Holmes about the planets revolivng around the sun. Watson becomes amazed that Holmes does not know this common fact. Holmes replies that he may have learned it once but deliberately cleared it from his mind since it had nothing to do with solving crimes. Holmes says that if a fact has nothing to do with fighting crime than he could care less and that it wastes vaulable space in his memory. Holmes (Conan Doyle) may not have been aware of correct Cognitive memory theory but I think I need to adopt this attitude and begin clearning out valuable memory space. There goes the Toonces song - it has nothing to do with clinical psychology research or practice.

Hi all... after some deliberation I decided on CUNY because they offered me a great package... and my loved ones are in NYC.

Anyone else going to CUNY?

It depends on the test but usually I can bring myself to decide on my answers because too many alternatives come to my mind. I over analyze questions too the point that they no longer make sense because I think of things which the test writers were not considering but may often be an alternative answer.

I am the same way! It makes me really bad at multiple choice tests because inevitably I see where two answers could be right. Psych tests are notorious for this: I think the questions are all hinky! :laugh:

...nice to know I'm not alone...

There is a famous Sherlock Holmes story in which Watson says something to Holmes about the planets revolivng around the sun. Watson becomes amazed that Holmes does not know this common fact. Holmes replies that he may have learned it once but deliberately cleared it from his mind since it had nothing to do with solving crimes. Holmes says that if a fact has nothing to do with fighting crime than he could care less and that it wastes vaulable space in his memory. Holmes (Conan Doyle) may not have been aware of correct Cognitive memory theory but I think I need to adopt this attitude and begin clearning out valuable memory space. There goes the Toonces song - it has nothing to do with clinical psychology research or practice.

I am the same way! It makes me really bad at multiple choice tests because inevitably I see where two answers could be right. Psych tests are notorious for this: I think the questions are all hinky! :laugh:

...nice to know I'm not alone...

Grrr, I just typed a response and SDN lost it.

Anyway, make me another one who over-analyzes questions to the point where they no longer make any sense whatsoever. I absolutely hate multiple-choice questions and even more so, I detest true/false questions. I would much rather receive essay questions, but unfortunately the majority of my peers do not agree with me. Ah, well. Such is life.

The multiple-choice questions I hate the most were on my insurance exams:

(a) I is true
(b) II is true
(c) III is true
(d) IV is true
(e) both I and II are true
(f) both I and IV are true
(g) both II and III are true
(h) both II and IV are true
(i) I, II, III, and IV are true
(j) none of the above are true

Yes, sometimes, there wouldn't be quite so many options, but they typically did have at least six and they were all sucky choices. :mad: And there were many of these cursed things on those frakkin' exams. You really had to know your material for 'em. Damn them all for making me study. :laugh:

Anyway, make me another one who over-analyzes questions to the point where they no longer make any sense whatsoever. I absolutely hate multiple-choice questions and even more so, I detest true/false questions. I would much rather receive essay questions, but unfortunately the majority of my peers do not agree with me. Ah, well. Such is life.

The multiple-choice questions I hate the most were on my insurance exams:

(a) I is true
(b) II is true
(c) III is true
(d) IV is true
(e) both I and II are true
(f) both I and IV are true
(g) both II and III are true
(h) both II and IV are true
(i) I, II, III, and IV are true
(j) none of the above are true

Yes, sometimes, there wouldn't be quite so many options, but they typically did have at least six and they were all sucky choices. :mad: And there were many of these cursed things on those frakkin' exams. You really had to know your material for 'em. Damn them all for making me study. :laugh:

Ha! Too true! These things make my head hurt and I spend too much time analyzing how each one "could" be possible.

BTW, does anyone else think it's odd that no one is posting their acceptances or decisions at the moment? I know all the offers are out, and decisions are flying all over the place. What's up? :confused:

Ha! Too true! These things make my head hurt and I spend too much time analyzing how each one "could" be possible.

BTW, does anyone else think it's odd that no one is posting their acceptances or decisions at the moment? I know all the offers are out, and decisions are flying all over the place. What's up? :confused:

I REALLY wanna know what's up with the places that haven't contacted me at all, but have rejected other people. Do I not even warrant a rejection? haha

Whenever you have long posts, copy and paste to a notepad doc that you keep on your 'desktop'. Awhile back I had some cookie problems with my browser, and I would lose stuff all of the time. So....I thought of the notepad solution.

-t

Pyschwanabe- I think it's REALLY odd that people aren't listing their acceptances. The only possibility I can explain would be that people have gotten acceptances and so they're moving on with their lives and spending less time on SDN. That and most of the current applicants still posting seem to all be on waitlists...and none of us are hearing either! Maybe action will pick up near/after April 15th?

Pyschwanabe- I think it's REALLY odd that people aren't listing their acceptances. The only possibility I can explain would be that people have gotten acceptances and so they're moving on with their lives and spending less time on SDN. That and most of the current applicants still posting seem to all be on waitlists...and none of us are hearing either! Maybe action will pick up near/after April 15th?

You're probably right. And also it seems as though everyone is playing it a lot closer to the vest now. No one wants to list particular schools anymore.

I guess all will become clear in the next 11 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.