You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 AMCAS Questions Thread
Started by DoctorPardi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I just received a job to teach for kaplan, but won't be teaching anytime soon since i have to train and all...should i still include this on my primary??
Yes. There is a place to say when the start date will be and then you can click til present box.
I'd advise mentioning what your duties will be and further expanding in secondaries that give room to do so.
if writing is something you're passionate about and you consider this an accomplishment, you can put it under the work/activities section on your primaries.
i personally think that's pretty cool and it'll give you something to chat about at your interviews!
Agreed. These are the types of things that make people stand out. So I'd include the magazine publishing stuff.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LizzyM,
Would you recommend sending an unofficial transcripts (with spring grades) along with the secondaries as well?
No.
Question for LizzyM:
I am on waitlists for the current year, but am being proactive about getting an application out early for this coming cycle (my third attempt). I have learned many things as far as applications go, just finished an SMP program, and unfortunately, should I not get in this year, will have to retake the MCAT. I last took the MCAT in August of 2005. By my count, it will officially expire this year. Are you aware of any way that I can submit applications and return secondaries and LORs BEFORE submitting an MCAT score that will likely come from a July/August exam? For example, can I ride my previous MCAT score to get secondaries, and then have adcoms wait until the new score is released for evaluation.
I ask only because if I do take in early August, the score is released in early September, leaving me behind the boat in the cycle (for third year in a row).
Also, how do committees feel about using same personal statements and essays from year's past? My application hasn't changed much, aside from spending the last 9 months in this graduate program and a few ECs along the way, and I feel strongly about the quality of my personal statement. Not having to re-write supplemental essays is also a big bonus when turning back in secondary applications in a speedy manner. I have heard mixed opinions on this, but none from valid sources. Is this seen as laziness, or not regarded as an issue? I can't imagine it being that big of a deal, as if the essay questions are the same, my feelings in my response should be as well. Love to know your thoughts on it.
Thanks!
I am on waitlists for the current year, but am being proactive about getting an application out early for this coming cycle (my third attempt). I have learned many things as far as applications go, just finished an SMP program, and unfortunately, should I not get in this year, will have to retake the MCAT. I last took the MCAT in August of 2005. By my count, it will officially expire this year. Are you aware of any way that I can submit applications and return secondaries and LORs BEFORE submitting an MCAT score that will likely come from a July/August exam? For example, can I ride my previous MCAT score to get secondaries, and then have adcoms wait until the new score is released for evaluation.
I ask only because if I do take in early August, the score is released in early September, leaving me behind the boat in the cycle (for third year in a row).
Also, how do committees feel about using same personal statements and essays from year's past? My application hasn't changed much, aside from spending the last 9 months in this graduate program and a few ECs along the way, and I feel strongly about the quality of my personal statement. Not having to re-write supplemental essays is also a big bonus when turning back in secondary applications in a speedy manner. I have heard mixed opinions on this, but none from valid sources. Is this seen as laziness, or not regarded as an issue? I can't imagine it being that big of a deal, as if the essay questions are the same, my feelings in my response should be as well. Love to know your thoughts on it.
Thanks!
Question for LizzyM:
Also, how do committees feel about using same personal statements and essays from year's past?
If you had no luck with the essays you used last year, why would you think that they're any good? I'd try tuning it up a little. Be careful about recycling old supplementals. Sometimes the school will change the question and if you aren't careful it can be painfully obvious that you didn't read the question or that you are a reapplicant. Either doesn't look particularly good.
Applying late isn't the end of the world but I wonder if it might not be wise (given that most people would figure that the third application cycle should be your last) to work a year and apply super early in 2010?
If you had no luck with the essays you used last year, why would you think that they're any good? I'd try tuning it up a little. Be careful about recycling old supplementals. Sometimes the school will change the question and if you aren't careful it can be painfully obvious that you didn't read the question or that you are a reapplicant. Either doesn't look particularly good.
Applying late isn't the end of the world but I wonder if it might not be wise (given that most people would figure that the third application cycle should be your last) to work a year and apply super early in 2010?
Also after you figure out what was weak in your app and help improve in those areas, you should possibly add a line or two about what you've done to make those changes and address those issues in the primary personal statement.
i.e. if it was your GPA, maybe you s hould mention that you are doing a masters in the coming year. or if it is clinical, mention new clinical activities, etc.
I graduated from engineering and apart from the previous year doing clinical research, I've had a lot of summer engineering jobs and internships. How much should I include about these jobs if they were completely unrelated to medicine? And should I use a new EC space on the AMCAS for each one? Thanks!
I graduated from engineering and apart from the previous year doing clinical research, I've had a lot of summer engineering jobs and internships. How much should I include about these jobs if they were completely unrelated to medicine? And should I use a new EC space on the AMCAS for each one? Thanks!
Devote a slot to each summer during college. Adcoms like to know how you spent your summers. Employment non-military covers most jobs after graduation. Again, adcoms like to know what you did in your time after college.
A sentence or two about the activity will suffice: Developed a system to test quality control parameters in the manufacture of polyvinyl wigits. Compared new system to previous method of quality control.
Yes. There is a place to say when the start date will be and then you can click til present box.
I'd advise mentioning what your duties will be and further expanding in secondaries that give room to do so.
I seem to remember that you can't make the start date in the future. Am I wrong about that?
Devote a slot to each summer during college. Adcoms like to know how you spent your summers. Employment non-military covers most jobs after graduation. Again, adcoms like to know what you did in your time after college.
A sentence or two about the activity will suffice: Developed a system to test quality control parameters in the manufacture of polyvinyl wigits. Compared new system to previous method of quality control.
Lizzy - Can this include the summer before freshman year of college? Thanks!
I seem to remember that you can't make the start date in the future. Am I wrong about that?
I haven't heard that, but if that is the case you have one of 2 options....
1. if it is something that can fit in the personal statement, you can state it there.
The other option is to put it on the secondaries if they alot space for this.
I took a class called "Chemistry of Materials" and it has an ENGR#
However, it supplemented SECOND SEMESTER of Gen Chem (I never took it). I'm listing this as Chemistry. Will the AMCAS know that this class substituted Gen Chem 2 and keep it part of the BCMP GPA?
However, it supplemented SECOND SEMESTER of Gen Chem (I never took it). I'm listing this as Chemistry. Will the AMCAS know that this class substituted Gen Chem 2 and keep it part of the BCMP GPA?
I seem to remember that you can't make the start date in the future. Am I wrong about that?
that's what I've heard. You can always submit the AMCAS in the month you start the activity. Its a trade off between early submission and getting that activity on the list.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lizzy - Can this include the summer before freshman year of college? Thanks!
Summer after HS graduation is stretching it but I've never heard anyone criticize an applicant for doing so. Obviously, too, there are non-trads who began working or military svc right out of HS and it is completely legit to put that in the Experience section so I guess the answer is "yes".
just use the same ID...they should show up automatically.How do you send MCAT scores to the AMCAS?
I'm looking at the 2008 application and I don't see an option to!
just use the same ID...they should show up automatically.
Maybe b/c its the 2008 application, there's no option to "Load your MCAT scores"
I'm assuming what happens is... it asks you to type in an ID number... and then you type in your AAMC # from the MCAT THX
my school labels my stats class as STATS while it labels other math classes, like calc, as MATH. i just filled out my grades on AMCAS and just listed the stats class as math. is that legit or are they gonna have a problem with that once they verify the grades with my transcripts? thanks
yes
okay, cool, but are they gonna have a problem when on my trascript it says "STATS" for the stats course but "MATH" for like calc3?
okay, cool, but are they gonna have a problem when on my trascript it says "STATS" for the stats course but "MATH" for like calc3?
Should be no prob, but check it when they complete their review and if there is a problem, you can appeal...
okay, cool, but are they gonna have a problem when on my trascript it says "STATS" for the stats course but "MATH" for like calc3?
no
WHen I started college, I took a math placement test so that I could take calc I instead of pre-calc.
In the AP course section of my transcript, it has the pre calc course listed as:
MATH 1101 AP-INTRO PRE-CALC 0.00 credit
Should I list it on amcas since its worth 0 credit and wasn't even from an AP course?
In the AP course section of my transcript, it has the pre calc course listed as:
MATH 1101 AP-INTRO PRE-CALC 0.00 credit
Should I list it on amcas since its worth 0 credit and wasn't even from an AP course?
Hope this helps everyone looking for answers to AMCAS related questions.
I'll start off with a question that I could not find an answer to, even after looking through the 2009 AMCAS Instruction Manual.
1) I took 3 classes at a community college while in high school. When adding a college in the "Schools Attended" section, it asks for the "program type". For this community college, the program type should be "junior college" and not "undergraduate", right?
Thanks!
I'll start off with a question that I could not find an answer to, even after looking through the 2009 AMCAS Instruction Manual.
1) I took 3 classes at a community college while in high school. When adding a college in the "Schools Attended" section, it asks for the "program type". For this community college, the program type should be "junior college" and not "undergraduate", right?
Thanks!
Hope this helps everyone looking for answers to AMCAS related questions.
I'll start off with a question that I could not find an answer to, even after looking through the 2009 AMCAS Instruction Manual.
1) I took 3 classes at a community college while in high school. When adding a college in the "Schools Attended" section, it asks for the "program type". For this community college, the program type should be "junior college" and not "undergraduate", right?
Thanks!
I would say yes, putting "junior college" sounds more accurate. Either way it will be included in undergrad GPA.
I have a similar question though. What about taking a few a la carte junior college courses AFTER getting my bachelors? Would I call those "junior college" or "post-bac"?
sorry I'm not 100% sure of the OP's question, but I have question regarding whether AP credits that are listed on the transcript should be listed on the AMCAS. I didn't use any of the AP credits to replace any courses required.
post bac probably, but you know you can call them if you have a questionI would say yes, putting "junior college" sounds more accurate. Either way it will be included in undergrad GPA.
I have a similar question though. What about taking a few a la carte junior college courses AFTER getting my bachelors? Would I call those "junior college" or "post-bac"?
right?
post bac probably, but you know you can call them if you have a question
right?
Yeah, and be on hold for 20 mins (which was the average wait the last time I called during my first time applying). On the other hand, you responded in less than 2 mins Chubs 😀. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
post bac probably, but you know you can call them if you have a question
right?
There is also a very detailed manual like publication on the website.
There is also a very detailed manual like publication on the website.
Yeah, been there done that. As comprehensive as it is, it doesn't address this particular situation as far as I can tell. But thank you
Hope this helps everyone looking for answers to AMCAS related questions.
I'll start off with a question that I could not find an answer to, even after looking through the 2009 AMCAS Instruction Manual.
1) I took 3 classes at a community college while in high school. When adding a college in the "Schools Attended" section, it asks for the "program type". For this community college, the program type should be "junior college" and not "undergraduate", right?
Thanks!
Same question here... I took 3 classes at community college also as a high schooler. But I don't think it matters b/c it'll still say ______ Community College on the transcript.
lol...I was on hold for 5 minutes...I dont think they are too busy yet, but im sure that will change.Yeah, and be on hold for 20 mins (which was the average wait the last time I called during my first time applying). On the other hand, you responded in less than 2 mins Chubs 😀. Thanks!
I know this question has been asked before, and I've read a couple of threads, but I just want to be sure if I'm really economically disadvantage.
I'm working through my AMCAS application and have came to answering the Disadvantage Status. I clicked on "How do I know if I should be considered disadvantaged?" and tried to find where I fit. The only place I fit is under State and Federal Assistance Programs. Here is what is says
I've received several of these assistances from the government when I was in middle and high school. After I entered college, we stopped receiving assistance because my family didn't need it anymore. So my question is, am I still considered economically disadvantaged? I came from a different country, and the main reason for coming to the US is because we had economic problems. Ever since I remember, my parents were trying to find better jobs to support the family, but after I was one year in college, everything became stable.
Anyone have any ideas or thought what I should do? Thanks 🙂
I'm working through my AMCAS application and have came to answering the Disadvantage Status. I clicked on "How do I know if I should be considered disadvantaged?" and tried to find where I fit. The only place I fit is under State and Federal Assistance Programs. Here is what is says
State and Federal Assistance Programs: These programs are specifically defined as "Means-Tested Programs" under which the individual, family, or household income and assets must be below specified thresholds. The sponsoring agencies then provide cash and non-cash assistance to eligible individuals, families, or households. Such programs include welfare benefit programs (federal, state, and local) Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or ADC); unemployment compensation; General Assistance (GA); food stamps; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Medicaid; housing assistance; or other federal, state, or local financial assistance programs.
I've received several of these assistances from the government when I was in middle and high school. After I entered college, we stopped receiving assistance because my family didn't need it anymore. So my question is, am I still considered economically disadvantaged? I came from a different country, and the main reason for coming to the US is because we had economic problems. Ever since I remember, my parents were trying to find better jobs to support the family, but after I was one year in college, everything became stable.
Anyone have any ideas or thought what I should do? Thanks 🙂
I think you definitely qualify b/c AMCAS is asking about your family's economic situation before you turned 18.
Write basically what you did here:
why your family immigrated due to money issues, etc. How your parents tried to improve your situation, but did have to rely on govt assistance at several points to make ends meet. It doesn't have to be complicated and the schools will decide if they want to consider this info or not. It won't hurt you to check YES and explain.
Write basically what you did here:
why your family immigrated due to money issues, etc. How your parents tried to improve your situation, but did have to rely on govt assistance at several points to make ends meet. It doesn't have to be complicated and the schools will decide if they want to consider this info or not. It won't hurt you to check YES and explain.
Three of the schools on my list want letters thru amcas and require some kind of form to accompany the letter. I have all my letters on interfolio do I need to send the forms to interfolio then send letters to amcas?
I dont think you have to submit the letters to AMCAs....you should be able to submit them eitehr way.Three of the schools on my list want letters thru amcas and require some kind of form to accompany the letter. I have all my letters on interfolio do I need to send the forms to interfolio then send letters to amcas?
I think you definitely qualify b/c AMCAS is asking about your family's economic situation before you turned 18.
Write basically what you did here:
why your family immigrated due to money issues, etc. How your parents tried to improve your situation, but did have to rely on govt assistance at several points to make ends meet. It doesn't have to be complicated and the schools will decide if they want to consider this info or not. It won't hurt you to check YES and explain.
I'm fuzzy on the importance of "economically disadvantaged" among selection criterion for schools in general..one component of this section (the "economically disadvantaged" section on the Amcas primary) asks for "paid employment under age 18". This section also requests % of college costs paid by student; for both of those I'd like my efforts to be considered by the admissions committees, and plan to include specifics. Anyone have firsthand feedback regarding schools' consideration of this aspect? Or which aspect schools may be looking to see from this section? (perserverance through challenging situation maybe? emotional strength?) thank you.
If my primary writing/english classes as an undergrad are listed under the Humanities department, does it go into the Other category? I was tempted to put it under English composition, but we studied some foreign translated literature as well...
So do we actually have to have all of our letters of rec for those schools listed at the time of the AMCAS submission?
If I took 2 classes at a community college after my freshman year as a transient student and the credits appear as transfer credits on my transcript at Emory (my normal school) do I need a transcript from the community college?
If I took 2 classes at a community college after my freshman year as a transient student and the credits appear as transfer credits on my transcript at Emory (my normal school) do I need a transcript from the community college?
what's the earliest day we can submit AMCAS? early June, right?
I'm re-applying, so about 90% of my AMCAS is already done (since data gets transfered over). I'm submitting my transcript requests today, so they should get that soon. Just gonna improve my activities list and PS. I just want to know how long I have until the first day to submit, as I would like to have everything in that day.
I'm re-applying, so about 90% of my AMCAS is already done (since data gets transfered over). I'm submitting my transcript requests today, so they should get that soon. Just gonna improve my activities list and PS. I just want to know how long I have until the first day to submit, as I would like to have everything in that day.
Thanks mrs. smith!
I'm fuzzy on the importance of "economically disadvantaged" among selection criterion for schools in general..one component of this section (the "economically disadvantaged" section on the Amcas primary) asks for "paid employment under age 18". This section also requests % of college costs paid by student; for both of those I'd like my efforts to be considered by the admissions committees, and plan to include specifics. Anyone have firsthand feedback regarding schools' consideration of this aspect? Or which aspect schools may be looking to see from this section? (perserverance through challenging situation maybe? emotional strength?) thank you.
My impression is that it gives context to your grades and EC's. If you are a richy-rich kid with parents that could afford to send you to Harvard, you might have an easier time of getting good grades, having time to volunteer, etc. If you're working full-time to pay rent and school costs because your parents couldn't afford to help you out, that 3.6 GPA and limited EC list might look a bit more reasonable. Like I said, context.
Take every edge you qualify for. You can bet that everyone else is.
I know this question has been asked before, and I've read a couple of threads, but I just want to be sure if I'm really economically disadvantage.
I'm working through my AMCAS application and have came to answering the Disadvantage Status. I clicked on "How do I know if I should be considered disadvantaged?" and tried to find where I fit. The only place I fit is under State and Federal Assistance Programs. Here is what is says
I've received several of these assistances from the government when I was in middle and high school. After I entered college, we stopped receiving assistance because my family didn't need it anymore. So my question is, am I still considered economically disadvantaged? I came from a different country, and the main reason for coming to the US is because we had economic problems. Ever since I remember, my parents were trying to find better jobs to support the family, but after I was one year in college, everything became stable.
Anyone have any ideas or thought what I should do? Thanks 🙂
sounds like my life story. yes you are, props to you sir. fight on.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's the earliest day we can submit AMCAS? early June, right?
I'm re-applying, so about 90% of my AMCAS is already done (since data gets transfered over). I'm submitting my transcript requests today, so they should get that soon. Just gonna improve my activities list and PS. I just want to know how long I have until the first day to submit, as I would like to have everything in that day.
I asked the same question on another AMCAS thread, and someone responded "around June 4th"
I am not sure where they got that... I looked everywhere on the AMCAS website and couldn't find it... Anyone know the source?
If my primary writing/english classes as an undergrad are listed under the Humanities department, does it go into the Other category? I was tempted to put it under English composition, but we studied some foreign translated literature as well...
I am putting them under English, cuz the only other category it might fit in is Fine Arts, but we basically read a bunch of books, so it would be English...
It's on the first page:I asked the same question on another AMCAS thread, and someone responded "around June 4th"
I am not sure where they got that... I looked everywhere on the AMCAS website and couldn't find it... Anyone know the source?
http://www.aamc.org/audienceamcas.htm
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K